Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Draft Stories - What Could Have Been
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TheGreeK1973


Joined: 30 Nov 2012
Posts: 489
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurplePeterson wrote:
TheGreeK1973 wrote:
Washington Redskins, 2005. We need a CB and a QB. Gibbs decides to workout Jason Campbell. Likes him so he trades with Denver to move into the first round to pick him when many thought he was at best a late 2nd round pick at that. Then the unthinkable happens, Alex Smith not Aaron Rodgers is picked as the overall #1 pick, Aaron sitting there with us having the #9 pick. There have been rumors if not for Gibbs trading with Denver we would have taken Aaron Rodgers instead of Carlos Rogers. Imagine what great move that would have been for the Redskins.


Not that I mind now, since we have RGIII but still. Worse trade ever however in my mind under Gibbs 2 was Bailey for Portis AND a 2nd round. Mike Shannahan killed us on this, h ell he is probably saying to himself man if I knew I was going to end-up coaching the skins I would have hit Gibbs upside the head for even suggesting that move. I guess we had to unload either Arrington or Bailey because of cap issues but any fool can see that Lavar was more hype than good. Bailey was a shutdown corner period.


Yeah, I would understand you calling it the worst trade ever if Clinton played with the Redskins for 1 year and then he is not with the Redskins anymore but he had a pretty good career for the Redskins for 6 years, I would not call that the worst trade ever


Yes i can appreciate your point but because of this one trade we were forced to take a CB in the draft the very next year instead of a QB. You know who we took at number 9 in 2005? Carlos Rogers. You know who was siting there for our taking? Aaron Rodgers. If Gibbs had not made that trade, resigned Bailey, we would have Rodgers for sure with that pick. Hell Denver got Tatum Bell with our 2nd pick we gave them. You are saying having Rodgers, Bailey and Bell in Redskins uniform instead of Portis and Carlos is not a horrid trade?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedGreenShow


Joined: 05 Feb 2012
Posts: 1674
Location: Nati
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bengals wanted Kendall Wright last year and traded back to grab Kevin Zeitler after the Titans grabbed him.
_________________
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomRalph


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 11087
Location: Deadpulse on the Sig
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedGreenShow wrote:
The Bengals wanted Kendall Wright last year and traded back to grab Kevin Zeitler after the Titans grabbed him.


That's an interesting one, first time I've ever heard that one. Kendall Wright could have been very dangerous across from AJ Green.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
7DnBrnc53


Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 2269
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: 70's Steelers Reply with quote

RedGreenShow wrote:
The Bengals wanted Kendall Wright last year and traded back to grab Kevin Zeitler after the Titans grabbed him.


Denver did the same thing when the Steelers took DeCastro. Elway was all set to take him with the next pick.

Speaking of the Steelers, here are some stories about the building of their 70's teams(I took a few of these stories from the book The Super 70's by Tom Danyluk):

1971: In the 1976 Street and Smith's preview issue, Art Rooney, Jr. said that they were all set to take DE Richard Harris, but since the Eagles pounced on him, they settled for WR Frank Lewis. Lewis was decent, and played about 12 years in the NFL with Pittsburgh and Buffalo, but didn't reach his potential, according to Steeler scout Bill Nunn.

Nunn said that Lewis should have been better than Swann and Stallworth, but he didn't have enough Keyshawn and TO in him. In other words, he wouldn't demand the ball very often.

1972: Chuck Noll liked Robert Newhouse over Franco Harris, but the Steeler scouting department and Art Rooney, Jr. felt differently. Art said that he talked to George Young, who was with the Colts at the time, and he told Young that Noll thought that Robert would be better. George told him to tell Chuck that the debate was settled 2,000 years ago, when Socrates said that "A good big man is worth more than a good little man every day".

Seven years later, when they were looking at O.J. Anderson, another great big back. Noll wasn't down with him, but he said that "I could be wrong, like I was wrong about another big fullback that came here. I won't mention his name".

1974: The Steelers almost didn't take Swann in the first round because he was running a 4.6 40. Noll wanted Stallworth in the first round. However, as luck would have it, Jack Butler found out that Bucko Kilroy, Patriot director of scouting, was going to give Swann another go at the 40. BLESTO got their West Coast scout to see it, and Lynn ran a 4.5. Lynn was back on their first-round board.

Speaking of Stallworth, that was the year of the "missing" film. Bill Nunn, who was the main Steeler scout for the black colleges, had a great game film of John at Alabama A&M. Art Rooney, Jr. told Todd Haley's dad to send the film back, but he never "got around to it" until a month after the draft. That, plus the fact that John played defensive back at the Senior Bowl, helped him to slide to the Steelers in the third round.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bodhi


Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 352
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 49ers drafted Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers because Rodgers offered to sign for a discount and the ownership was trying to dispel their reputation of being cheap.

Thank God for Jed York.
_________________
49ers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bodhi


Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 352
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:
SFaithful97 wrote:
The 49ers, specifically Bill Walsh, were disappointed to see the Giants Draft QB Simms in the first round. They were confident he could be had in the second round (or later in the first if they wanted to trade up for him) and he was Walsh's first choice to QB his team for the future. Deprived of that option, the team settled on drafting Joe Montana with the final pick of the third round.

In 1985, the 49ers traded with the patriots up to the 16th pick to select Jerry Rice. They were worried (and this was later proven to be true) that the Cowboys planned to draft him with their pick in the #17 slot.

Sometimes successful drafting is a happy accident, others genius decision making.


I did not know this, good thing that Jerry Rice is a 49er instead of a Cowboy


That story about the Cowboys and Rice is not true. Drew Pearson scouted WRs for the Cowboys in those days and said Landry rejected Rice because of low wonderlic score. Landry also refused John Taylor because of a slow 40 time.

In 1979 the Cowboys had Montana and Doug Cosbie at equal value and picked Cosbie because of need.


Are you sure it was his wonderlic and not his 40? I can't find his wonderlic score, but the's very well spoken and comes off as intelligent. On the other hand, he ran a slow 40
_________________
49ers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13423
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodhi wrote:
The 49ers drafted Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers because Rodgers offered to sign for a discount and the ownership was trying to dispel their reputation of being cheap.

Thank God for Jed York.
wut. No way.
_________________
Webmaster wrote:
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 9439
Location: MD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreeK1973 wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:
TheGreeK1973 wrote:
Washington Redskins, 2005. We need a CB and a QB. Gibbs decides to workout Jason Campbell. Likes him so he trades with Denver to move into the first round to pick him when many thought he was at best a late 2nd round pick at that. Then the unthinkable happens, Alex Smith not Aaron Rodgers is picked as the overall #1 pick, Aaron sitting there with us having the #9 pick. There have been rumors if not for Gibbs trading with Denver we would have taken Aaron Rodgers instead of Carlos Rogers. Imagine what great move that would have been for the Redskins.


Not that I mind now, since we have RGIII but still. Worse trade ever however in my mind under Gibbs 2 was Bailey for Portis AND a 2nd round. Mike Shannahan killed us on this, h ell he is probably saying to himself man if I knew I was going to end-up coaching the skins I would have hit Gibbs upside the head for even suggesting that move. I guess we had to unload either Arrington or Bailey because of cap issues but any fool can see that Lavar was more hype than good. Bailey was a shutdown corner period.


Yeah, I would understand you calling it the worst trade ever if Clinton played with the Redskins for 1 year and then he is not with the Redskins anymore but he had a pretty good career for the Redskins for 6 years, I would not call that the worst trade ever


Yes i can appreciate your point but because of this one trade we were forced to take a CB in the draft the very next year instead of a QB. You know who we took at number 9 in 2005? Carlos Rogers. You know who was siting there for our taking? Aaron Rodgers. If Gibbs had not made that trade, resigned Bailey, we would have Rodgers for sure with that pick. Hell Denver got Tatum Bell with our 2nd pick we gave them. You are saying having Rodgers, Bailey and Bell in Redskins uniform instead of Portis and Carlos is not a horrid trade?


If they wanted Rodgers they could have taken him. That deal did not preclude them from picking a QB with that pick.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
7DnBrnc53


Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 2269
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowler1215 wrote:
If I recall correctly, Baltimore was going to move up for Urlacher if the Bears passed on him



If Baltimore was, I can see three reasons:

1. Ray Lewis's legal troubles.

2. They were thinking about using some 3-4 looks.

3. SS Kim Herring was going to be a FA in 2001, and Urlacher may have been viewed as a replacement(Brian played safety at New Mexico, and also returned kicks).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurplePeterson


Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 550
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreeK1973 wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:
TheGreeK1973 wrote:
Washington Redskins, 2005. We need a CB and a QB. Gibbs decides to workout Jason Campbell. Likes him so he trades with Denver to move into the first round to pick him when many thought he was at best a late 2nd round pick at that. Then the unthinkable happens, Alex Smith not Aaron Rodgers is picked as the overall #1 pick, Aaron sitting there with us having the #9 pick. There have been rumors if not for Gibbs trading with Denver we would have taken Aaron Rodgers instead of Carlos Rogers. Imagine what great move that would have been for the Redskins.


Not that I mind now, since we have RGIII but still. Worse trade ever however in my mind under Gibbs 2 was Bailey for Portis AND a 2nd round. Mike Shannahan killed us on this, h ell he is probably saying to himself man if I knew I was going to end-up coaching the skins I would have hit Gibbs upside the head for even suggesting that move. I guess we had to unload either Arrington or Bailey because of cap issues but any fool can see that Lavar was more hype than good. Bailey was a shutdown corner period.


Yeah, I would understand you calling it the worst trade ever if Clinton played with the Redskins for 1 year and then he is not with the Redskins anymore but he had a pretty good career for the Redskins for 6 years, I would not call that the worst trade ever


Yes i can appreciate your point but because of this one trade we were forced to take a CB in the draft the very next year instead of a QB. You know who we took at number 9 in 2005? Carlos Rogers. You know who was siting there for our taking? Aaron Rodgers. If Gibbs had not made that trade, resigned Bailey, we would have Rodgers for sure with that pick. Hell Denver got Tatum Bell with our 2nd pick we gave them. You are saying having Rodgers, Bailey and Bell in Redskins uniform instead of Portis and Carlos is not a horrid trade?


It is still not a horrid trade, the Redskins could have drafted Rodgers and then drafted a cornerback in the 2nd round but the Redskins passed on Rodgers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15470
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1999 Bengals Draft.

They refused Ditka's entire draft and opted to go ahead and draft THE WORST QUARTERBACK IN NFL HISTORY in Akili Smith.

Yes, Smith is indeed the worst QB to ever get a shot in the NFL. He failed at every pro football level, including NFL Europe.....He was an abomination with one good year in a very unprofessional offense with the Ducks.

Absolute garbage. And the Bungals took him.

Of course they wanted a QB, but guess what? Culpepper was available 8 spots below where Smith was taken. Of course the Saints original 1st Round pick was a spot below where Culpepper was taken.

Thing is Aaron Brooks was taken 131st.....naturally the Bungals would have never drafted a gem that low but I digress.

There were a multitude of players the Bengals could have drafted instead of Akili Smith who proved literally worthless.
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurplePeterson


Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 550
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
The 1999 Bengals Draft.

They refused Ditka's entire draft and opted to go ahead and draft THE WORST QUARTERBACK IN NFL HISTORY in Akili Smith.

Yes, Smith is indeed the worst QB to ever get a shot in the NFL. He failed at every pro football level, including NFL Europe.....He was an abomination with one good year in a very unprofessional offense with the Ducks.

Absolute garbage. And the Bungals took him.

Of course they wanted a QB, but guess what? Culpepper was available 8 spots below where Smith was taken. Of course the Saints original 1st Round pick was a spot below where Culpepper was taken.

Thing is Aaron Brooks was taken 131st.....naturally the Bungals would have never drafted a gem that low but I digress.

There were a multitude of players the Bengals could have drafted instead of Akili Smith who proved literally worthless.


That is why they are the Bungles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
49ersfan


Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 6719
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodhi wrote:
The 49ers drafted Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers because Rodgers offered to sign for a discount and the ownership was trying to dispel their reputation of being cheap.

Thank God for Jed York.


I'm pretty sure they selected Alex because Mike McCarthy, Mike Nolan, and Scot McCloughan liked Alex over Aaron...nothing overly complicated, yet wrong with the benefit of hindsight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
7DnBrnc53


Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 2269
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
The 1999 Bengals Draft.

They refused Ditka's entire draft and opted to go ahead and draft THE WORST QUARTERBACK IN NFL HISTORY in Akili Smith.

Yes, Smith is indeed the worst QB to ever get a shot in the NFL. He failed at every pro football level, including NFL Europe.....He was an abomination with one good year in a very unprofessional offense with the Ducks.

Absolute garbage. And the Bungals took him.

Of course they wanted a QB, but guess what? Culpepper was available 8 spots below where Smith was taken. Of course the Saints original 1st Round pick was a spot below where Culpepper was taken.

Thing is Aaron Brooks was taken 131st.....naturally the Bungals would have never drafted a gem that low but I digress.

There were a multitude of players the Bengals could have drafted instead of Akili Smith who proved literally worthless.


What is sad about the Akili Smith story is that, from what I heard, he was a Leigh Steinberg production. Steinberg apparently marketed him up to be bigger than he was after one year at Oregon. Akili, like Ryan Leaf, should have went back to school.

And, I agree with you about Culpepper. Before the 1998 season, I remember Daunte being projected as a top-5 selection for 99. However, he dropped a bit somehow, and this Smith character came out of nowhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurplePeterson


Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 550
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
x0x wrote:
The 1999 Bengals Draft.

They refused Ditka's entire draft and opted to go ahead and draft THE WORST QUARTERBACK IN NFL HISTORY in Akili Smith.

Yes, Smith is indeed the worst QB to ever get a shot in the NFL. He failed at every pro football level, including NFL Europe.....He was an abomination with one good year in a very unprofessional offense with the Ducks.

Absolute garbage. And the Bungals took him.

Of course they wanted a QB, but guess what? Culpepper was available 8 spots below where Smith was taken. Of course the Saints original 1st Round pick was a spot below where Culpepper was taken.

Thing is Aaron Brooks was taken 131st.....naturally the Bungals would have never drafted a gem that low but I digress.

There were a multitude of players the Bengals could have drafted instead of Akili Smith who proved literally worthless.


What is sad about the Akili Smith story is that, from what I heard, he was a Leigh Steinberg production. Steinberg apparently marketed him up to be bigger than he was after one year at Oregon. Akili, like Ryan Leaf, should have went back to school.

And, I agree with you about Culpepper. Before the 1998 season, I remember Daunte being projected as a top-5 selection for 99. However, he dropped a bit somehow, and this Smith character came out of nowhere.


I hated the Culpepper pick for the Vikings, I wanted Jevon Kearse but I have to admit Daunte did well for the Vikings for a few years until he had his knee injury and then started fumbling the football and throwing picks like he does not give a damn then that ended his Viking career
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group