Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Draft Stories - What Could Have Been
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but whatever year Brett Favre and Dan McGwire were drafted, the Hawks were picking #15 that year. Their coach Chuck Knox really wants Brett Favre. The owner wants Dan McGwire. Result?

We got one of the worst players in Seahawk (maybe NFL) history and missed out on one of the best. Dangit. It's odd to think Russell Wilson is already the best QB we have ever drafted. We suck at drafting QB's.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurplePeterson wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
x0x wrote:
The 1999 Bengals Draft.

They refused Ditka's entire draft and opted to go ahead and draft THE WORST QUARTERBACK IN NFL HISTORY in Akili Smith.

Yes, Smith is indeed the worst QB to ever get a shot in the NFL. He failed at every pro football level, including NFL Europe.....He was an abomination with one good year in a very unprofessional offense with the Ducks.

Absolute garbage. And the Bungals took him.

Of course they wanted a QB, but guess what? Culpepper was available 8 spots below where Smith was taken. Of course the Saints original 1st Round pick was a spot below where Culpepper was taken.

Thing is Aaron Brooks was taken 131st.....naturally the Bungals would have never drafted a gem that low but I digress.

There were a multitude of players the Bengals could have drafted instead of Akili Smith who proved literally worthless.

What is sad about the Akili Smith story is that, from what I heard, he was a Leigh Steinberg production. Steinberg apparently marketed him up to be bigger than he was after one year at Oregon. Akili, like Ryan Leaf, should have went back to school.

And, I agree with you about Culpepper. Before the 1998 season, I remember Daunte being projected as a top-5 selection for 99. However, he dropped a bit somehow, and this Smith character came out of nowhere.

I hated the Culpepper pick for the Vikings, I wanted Jevon Kearse but I have to admit Daunte did well for the Vikings for a few years until he had his knee injury and then started fumbling the football and throwing picks like he does not give a damn then that ended his Viking career

Looking back at that draft, I think that the Vikes should have either traded down to get Fernando Bryant, Antoine Winfield, Al Wilson, or Patrick Kerney(defense, especially corner, was their #1 need at the time) or stayed there and selected Kearse.

Honestly, though, I don't know why the Ravens didn't take Daunte. Who was their QB at the time?

Tony Banks until he was replaced by Trent Dilfer halfway through the season

Well, the Ravens drafted Chris McAlister over Culpepper, who was a lockdown CB and considered every bit as good as Champ Bailey in the run up to the '99 draft, and who was an integral piece of arguably the best defense ever the following year, so I would say that pick worked out ok for them.

And if memory serves, there were some rumors regarding Culpepper's intelligence--or lack thereof--including that he couldn't read. You don't draft illiterate QBs in the top 10.
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but whatever year Brett Favre and Dan McGwire were drafted, the Hawks were picking #15 that year. Their coach Chuck Knox really wants Brett Favre. The owner wants Dan McGwire. Result?

We got one of the worst players in Seahawk (maybe NFL) history and missed out on one of the best. Dangit. It's odd to think Russell Wilson is already the best QB we have ever drafted. We suck at drafting QB's.

I've heard that you had a horrible owner back then. 'Tis true?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
MARIO MANGELINI wrote:

I think that they found out who the owner wanted only after GM Tom Flores asked him. That is strange, because I don't think that the GM always consults with the owner on #1 draft picks.
driftwood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Marshawn Lynch, Justin Harrell.

how about the 1996 1st round...

#26 Ray Lewis
#27 John Michels

Andrew Brandt has mentioned this numerous times that the Packers were ready to draft Ray Ray @ 27

ahhhhh what could have been....
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1983, the Steelers were considering Marino, but Chuck Noll changed his mind. He decided to rebuild the Steelers with a DT just like he started rebuilding them in 69 with Mean Joe.

In comes John Clayton(yes, that John Clayton). At the time, he was a writer for the Pittsburgh Press. He suggested that the Steelers take Marino, and then trade back into the first round to get Gabe "Senor Sack" Rivera.

Some people in the Steeler organization ran that idea by whoever was the head of the draft(probably Art Rooney, Jr). That person originally liked the idea, but when they heard that Clayton came up with it, they dismissed it, and took Rivera.
PurplePeterson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
In 1983, the Steelers were considering Marino, but Chuck Noll changed his mind. He decided to rebuild the Steelers with a DT just like he started rebuilding them in 69 with Mean Joe.

In comes John Clayton(yes, that John Clayton). At the time, he was a writer for the Pittsburgh Press. He suggested that the Steelers take Marino, and then trade back into the first round to get Gabe "Senor Sack" Rivera.

Some people in the Steeler organization ran that idea by whoever was the head of the draft(probably Art Rooney, Jr). That person originally liked the idea, but when they heard that Clayton came up with it, they dismissed it, and took Rivera.

I remember that story, I remember his last words were "I wish we drafted Dan Marino" or maybe it is some other Steeler that said that
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Just for fun, lets look at the Rams recent incompetence when it comes to drafting:
2006:
Rams are sitting there at Pick #11 badly needing a DT. The Broncos offer to trade up from Pick #15 for Jay Cutler and throw in a 3rd. We trade down to #15 and Haloti Ngata goes at Pick #12. We get Tye Hill at Pick #15. And we get a fat, lazy bum named Claude Wroten(a DT) with #68. Great trade Rams.

2007:
Rams are sitting there at Pick #13 badly needing a CB and a DT. I was 15 years old at the time and was actually on the radio on draft day talking about who the Rams would pick when this happened. The host asked me who I thought would be the pick...I said it SHOULD be Darrelle Revis but knowing the Rams, it would be Adam Carriker. Guess what...Rams lived up to my expectations.

So...if the Rams had made the right move in 2006...we might have had Haloti Ngata and Darrelle Revis...wow. But that's not all folks:

2008:
Rams are sitting there with the second pick in the 2nd round and all us Rams fans are hoping for a WR. The vast majority of us are rooting hard for DeSean Jackson...Rams opt to choose Donnie Avery out of nowhere.

2009:
I keep hearing that the Rams are going to take Jason Smith and this deeply upsets me. I spend weeks basically begging them not to do it...begging them to take Eugene Monroe. They take Smith.

2010:
I was so elated when they picked Bradford. Although I wanted Aaron Hernandez or Everson Griffen instead of Mardy Gilyard in the 4th.

2011:
No real complaints...preferred Torrey Smith over Kendricks but Kendricks ended up being a solid pick.

2012:
Actually was quite happy with this class although I wanted Alshon Jeffery over Brian Quick.

So things are finally getting better after decades of incompetence.

The Rams were also pretty bad around 2000-03, when they still had the Greatest Show on Turf. In 2000, they passed on people like Ian Gold, Mike Brown, and Deon Grant in round 1 to take Trung Canidate.

In 01, they had three #1 picks, and went D with all three. Archuleta was decent for a while, but they took Damione Lewis instead of Marcus Stroud, and Ryan Pickett ahead of Kris Jenkins and Kendrell Bell.

Their 02 and 03 first rounders, Robert Thomas and Jimmy Kennedy, didn't do too well for them, either. 02 would have been a better year for them to take RB in Round 1 than 2000, with DeShaun Foster and Clinton Portis there. The next year, in taking Kennedy, they passed up Ty Warren, Polamalu, Dallas Clark, and Nick Barnett.

When you look at those four years, you can see why the Rams only won one playoff game since their SB loss to NE.

This is just hearsay, but... apparently the Rams' staff didn't do enough work at the time (shocker). They asked Mike Martz's son who had played at Colorado State about Robert Thomas, who played for UCLA against CSU. UCLA killed CSU that year and Martz said more or less, "he kicked our [inappropriate/removed]." And that was good enough for the scouting staff/front office to draft him in the first.

Oh, my goodness. Mike Martz should feel real good about himself for flushing a dynasty down the toilet.

In the style of Bill Simmons, Rams fans, you can now light yourselves on fire.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dez to patriots...too good to be true
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
dez to patriots...too good to be true

I dont think Billy Boy would have the patience to put up with him early on.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
EMG58

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
There was something out there about the Broncos making an attempt to trade with the Lions in order to draft Calvin Johnson. That obviously never happened.

Another one that didn't work out would have sent Al Wilson and a mid-round draft pick to the Giants for Justin Tuck, who at that time was good, but not like he is now. The trade fell through when Wilson failed his physical

i remember that.

Quote:
Yet to date, the only known draft play by the Broncos' three-headed think tank of Mike Shanahan, Ted Sundquist and Jim Goodman has been to seek receiver Calvin Johnson through the No. 2 draft pick held by the Detroit Lions. And not just once did the Broncos go after Johnson, but twice.

The first time, the Broncos proposed adding middle linebacker Al Wilson and their No. 21 overall pick as an extension to finalize a deal that sent Tatum Bell and George Foster to the Lions in exchange for Dré Bly. The second time, the Broncos offered picks in the first, second and third rounds, plus their first-round pick in 2008, for the Lions' No. 2 selection, a trade contingent on the Oakland Raiders not taking Johnson with their No. 1 choice.

In one sense, the flirtation with Johnson followed form. In recent years, the Broncos have approached the early rounds by taking the best available player, first; a position of need, second.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5728859#ixzz2R9lLoQvu
game3525

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading that AJ wanted to take Troy back in 2003.....but Marty disagreed.

10 years later, we still need a safety. Laughing
Tooki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
MARIO MANGELINI wrote:

I think that they found out who the owner wanted only after GM Tom Flores asked him. That is strange, because I don't think that the GM always consults with the owner on #1 draft picks.

I know that Paul Allen doesn't have a big influence (or any) on who Pete Carroll and John Schnieder draft in the 1st round. I mean, Paul Allen only bought the Seahawks to keep them in Seattle.
Rygar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
I'm pretty sure Matt Millen valued JaMarcus Russel over Calvin Johnson. Thank god Oakland made our pick easy.

What are you talking about? Matt Millen always valued WRs over every other position. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
The 49ers drafted Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers because Rodgers offered to sign for a discount and the ownership was trying to dispel their reputation of being cheap.

Thank God for Jed York.

I'm pretty sure they selected Alex because Mike McCarthy, Mike Nolan, and Scot McCloughan liked Alex over Aaron...nothing overly complicated, yet wrong with the benefit of hindsight.

which is hilarious because McCarthy left Alex Smith and went on to have success with Aaron Rodgers

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: