Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Most Prestigious College Football Head Coaching position
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LionsFan01


Joined: 14 Jan 2006
Posts: 3504
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
^^^

Not to be a huge Richard

But, biggest selling point against anything you said. Ohio Stat isn't in the SEC.


The prestige of a job takes into account more than just the last decade of college football. An SEC head coaching position might seem better right now than one in the B1G, but that doesn't make it more prestigious. People seem to be confusing the two.
_________________


Props to NCPackers_08 on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31191
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
^^^

Not to be a huge Richard

But, biggest selling point against anything you said. Ohio Stat isn't in the SEC.


oh I know and I said there is no debate about that but the only thing Ohio State has on its side when it comes to conferences is with the Big10 is that OSU is the king of the big10. If OSU didnt have the bowl ban they would of won outright or a share of 7 of the last 8 or 8 of the last 10.

I think if they were a smaller school, using conferences could change things. Like being a middle of the pack big10 school is nothing compared to the middle of the pack SEC team but at OSU you can come out and say you are the best team in the big10 year in and year out and you will go to a BCS bowl game and can throw out that OSU has the most BCS bowl appearances and BCS bowl wins
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24414
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida is top 10, but not top 5. They have a top 5 Recent History and prestige, but in the scope of all of College Football History they have a lot of catching up to do.

Since the BCS, you could make an argument that Florida is a top 3 school though.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devils1854


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 22279
Location: Tyler Starr, Adopt a Falcon
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan01 wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
^^^

Not to be a huge Richard

But, biggest selling point against anything you said. Ohio Stat isn't in the SEC.


The prestige of a job takes into account more than just the last decade of college football. An SEC head coaching position might seem better right now than one in the B1G, but that doesn't make it more prestigious. People seem to be confusing the two.


But we are talking about this moment. It's easier to recruit for a SEC power that's not Bama or Florida, than it is for Ohio State. OSU can have the Heisman's, championships, etc, but Texas A&M, Georgia, LSU, and maybe South Carolina can look down upon them in recruiting because of the SEC dominance.

These schools aren't Kentucky. They have the facilities.

Prospects? A&M is in Texas, and Georgia and LSU border big states, and get their share.

Money wise? Georgia is top 3-5, depending in year.

Not saying any of these schools match up(see my post on 1st page) but I could see a future discussion if things stay the same.
_________________

#JDI

Taysom Hill 2014 Heisman Campaign
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texasmade


Joined: 05 Nov 2008
Posts: 7076
Location: DTX / ATX
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31191
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Florida is top 10, but not top 5. They have a top 5 Recent History and prestige, but in the scope of all of College Football History they have a lot of catching up to do.

Since the BCS, you could make an argument that Florida is a top 3 school though.


I wouldnt name them a top3 in the BCS era. I say top5 since 2006 but if you include BCS Era no
_________________


Last edited by buno67 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Texasmade


Joined: 05 Nov 2008
Posts: 7076
Location: DTX / ATX
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSURacerDT55 wrote:
lol@ your facts, not accurate at all... Laughing
My facts are accurate. That's why they're called 'facts'.

See for yourself....

http://www.forbes.com/special-report/2012/business-of-college-football.html

Would you like another?

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/2556/texas-tops-in-football-profit-revenue


Quote:
It is widely known that tOSU has the largest recruiting bidget in NCAA
Cool? If you think recruiting budget is the sole appeal to a coaching job then I can't help you. Florida has more money to spend on facilities, coaching staff, travel amenities, etc. etc. Granted

Quote:
Ohio has some of the most players in the NFL and the HOF one the highest number of players on D1, Plus tOSU recruits nationally so it is not limited to Ohio
Miami is the poster boy for NFL success. Doesn't make them a better job than Ohio State. Same holds true in this case. And if you don't think Florida recruits nationally as well as regionally, then I'd suggest you start paying closer attention.

Quote:
They do not have better facilities, UF is not even tops in the SEC they are 6th... Laughing
Based on what? Your opinion? Like I said, I've seen Florida's facilities (I'm gonna venture a guess you haven't). If there are 5 SEC schools with better facilities than UF's then tip of the cap to the SEC.

Quote:
They do have a better conference... Crying or Very sad but we are a better school... Cool
Lol no you don't. Again, let me drop some knowledge......

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

UF - #54
OSU - #56
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Texasmade


Joined: 05 Nov 2008
Posts: 7076
Location: DTX / ATX
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
when you are talking about money b/w the schools...are you talking about money as an entire school or as an athletic department?? just curios. I know tOSU endowment is around $2.12billion dollars, when UofF is $1.29billion. Also that shows just for season. How much higher would of tOSU been in the Forbes list if they were able to play in a conference title game and a BCS bowl or maybe the title game. OSU lost a lot of money with the BS bowl band.
Athletic department. Endowment means very little as it pertains to athletics. Texas A&M has over 3x the endowment that OSU has, and I'd venture a guess that you won't find a single individual gracing this planet who believes A*M is the better athletic program.

Quote:
I want to say OSU football facility is pretty damn nice. I know a couple years ago that had a $21.5million expansion to it. its around 78,000 square feet. I know UoF just built their new football facility in 2008, It was hard to fine how big it is but I think I read the total size of the building is 90,000 square feet. Ive never seen both so I might give UoF the slight advantage because its bigger and newer but I dont know if I will say its better. OSU football runs OSU and if OSU football wants something it gets something, specially with Meyer as a coach. If he sees it not be a positive for recruiting than its a negative.
Never said OSU didn't have nice facilities. At this level everyone has nice facilities. But I've seen Florida's with my own two eyes. I find it hard to believe OSU can be much more impressive than UF's.

Quote:
I wouldnt say much better but I will say better. With the amount of players each state has they both have good ratios of DI signess to football players in their state. For ranking by ratio UofF is #1 but tOSU is #10. (list was made in 2011 so it can be a good measuring tool)
The line between #1 and #10 is pretty drastic. Florida talent is light years ahead of Ohio's. To be fair though it's light year ahead of every state's talent pool outside of maybe Texas, California and Georgia, so that's not a knock on the state of Ohio. Just a testament to how good Florida football is.

Quote:
Other selling points is history
Ohio State has a better career winning %
Ohio State has about twice as many All-Americans
Ohio State has twice as many Heisman winners
Not going to argue that OSU has a more impressive history than UF. But the history arguement rings pretty hallow. Over the past 20-30 years, I think it's fair to say that UF has had a more impressive run. And given the demographic changes within this country, combined with what Florida has done to capitalize on their built in advantages, I don't think it's much of stretch to think that over the course of the next 20-30 years, that Florida will continue to be the better program.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31191
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texasmade wrote:

Quote:
It is widely known that tOSU has the largest recruiting bidget in NCAA
Cool? If you think recruiting budget is the sole appeal to a coaching job then I can't help you. Florida has more money to spend on facilities, coaching staff, travel amenities, etc. etc. Granted

When it comes to programs like Ohio State, Bama, USC, Florida, and etc. The top programs they truly dont have a budget on that stuff. IMO its a wash

Quote:
Ohio has some of the most players in the NFL and the HOF one the highest number of players on D1, Plus tOSU recruits nationally so it is not limited to Ohio
Miami is the poster boy for NFL success. Doesn't make them a better job than Ohio State. Same holds true in this case. And if you don't think Florida recruits nationally as well as regionally, then I'd suggest you start paying closer attention.

I say UoF does recruit well for their region but they also have a lot more competition for those region recruits.

Quote:
They do not have better facilities, UF is not even tops in the SEC they are 6th... Laughing
Based on what? Your opinion? Like I said, I've seen Florida's facilities (I'm gonna venture a guess you haven't). If there are 5 SEC schools with better facilities than UF's then tip of the cap to the SEC.

Like I said with the Buget remarks. Top programs are going to have the same kind of facilities or similar. Hell, Florida new facility got a lot of help from Urban. If Urban felt OSU was lacking in any kind of area of felt like something was a recruiting advantage he would have it fixed by now. Again its just a wash


Quote:
They do have a better conference... Crying or Very sad but we are a better school... Cool
Lol no you don't. Again, let me drop some knowledge......

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

UF - #54
OSU - #56

I dont think he was talking about OSU and UoF academics vs one another because if it was it be yet another wash but I think he was going for conferences as a whole. The Big10 is a better academic conference than the SEC. I think with national rankings. all the SEC schools come in at an avg of 99th, where the big10 only has one school that ranks outside the top100 and that is Nebraska at 101, where the SECs worse school is Miss State and its 157. The SEC best school is Vandy at 17 where the Big10 has Northwestern at 12.

but in reality, if your a football player and your main priority is the education you get, your most likely not going to choose Florida or Ohio State. Usually ppl going to those schools for football are their for football for their #1 reason and education second. If a player has education #1 than football they wont choose either school IMO



_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Texasmade


Joined: 05 Nov 2008
Posts: 7076
Location: DTX / ATX
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
When it comes to programs like Ohio State, Bama, USC, Florida, and etc. The top programs they truly dont have a budget on that stuff. IMO its a wash
Agree completely. Which is why it's asinine to state that Florida doesn't "come close" to OSU's resource.

Quote:
I say UoF does recruit well for their region but they also have a lot more competition for those region recruits.
I dont disagree with that either. But while I suppose that's a negative in regards to UF, it's pretty trivial.

[quote]Like I said with the Buget remarks. Top programs are going to have the same kind of facilities or similar. Hell, Florida new facility got a lot of help from Urban. If Urban felt OSU was lacking in any kind of area of felt like something was a recruiting advantage he would have it fixed by now. Again its just a washDon't disagree with that either. All these schools make so much money, the whose facilities are better than whose, really comes down to personal taste. I love Florida's facilities, but like I've mentioned I've never seen OSU's.

Quote:
I dont think he was talking about OSU and UoF academics vs one another because if it was it be yet another wash but I think he was going for conferences as a whole. The Big10 is a better academic conference than the SEC.
Unlikely. He was pretty clearly stating that OSU was a better school than UF, which again isn't true. But like you said, it's a wash as both are really good schools.

Quote:
but in reality, if your a football player and your main priority is the education you get, your most likely not going to choose Florida or Ohio State. Usually ppl going to those schools for football are their for football for their #1 reason and education second. If a player has education #1 than football they wont choose either school IMO
Lol that's probably true. But still in the event a kid is actually interested in receiving a quality education, while playing big time football, Florida and OSU offer both.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31191
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texasmade wrote:
buno67 wrote:
when you are talking about money b/w the schools...are you talking about money as an entire school or as an athletic department?? just curios. I know tOSU endowment is around $2.12billion dollars, when UofF is $1.29billion. Also that shows just for season. How much higher would of tOSU been in the Forbes list if they were able to play in a conference title game and a BCS bowl or maybe the title game. OSU lost a lot of money with the BS bowl band.
Athletic department. Endowment means very little as it pertains to athletics. Texas A&M has over 3x the endowment that OSU has, and I'd venture a guess that you won't find a single individual gracing this planet who believes A*M is the better athletic program.

see I just through that out at first because I wasnt sure where you going so I was throwing out different kinds of scenarios

Quote:
I want to say OSU football facility is pretty damn nice. I know a couple years ago that had a $21.5million expansion to it. its around 78,000 square feet. I know UoF just built their new football facility in 2008, It was hard to fine how big it is but I think I read the total size of the building is 90,000 square feet. Ive never seen both so I might give UoF the slight advantage because its bigger and newer but I dont know if I will say its better. OSU football runs OSU and if OSU football wants something it gets something, specially with Meyer as a coach. If he sees it not be a positive for recruiting than its a negative.
Never said OSU didn't have nice facilities. At this level everyone has nice facilities. But I've seen Florida's with my own two eyes. I find it hard to believe OSU can be much more impressive than UF's.

I wasnt saying OSUs is better Im saying they are most likely the same. I would I give UoF the edge just because its newe since it is only 5years old. OSUs was built in 1987 but was renovated in 2005-2007. UoF is going to look a lot better but I just think they are going to be both on the same level

Quote:
I wouldnt say much better but I will say better. With the amount of players each state has they both have good ratios of DI signess to football players in their state. For ranking by ratio UofF is #1 but tOSU is #10. (list was made in 2011 so it can be a good measuring tool)
The line between #1 and #10 is pretty drastic. Florida talent is light years ahead of Ohio's. To be fair though it's light year ahead of every state's talent pool outside of maybe Texas, California and Georgia, so that's not a knock on the state of Ohio. Just a testament to how good Florida football is.
yeah Florida develops a lot of HS kids that get to college but Ohio is better than than 10 ranking. States like Hawaii and Utah were above them on that list but its just how the numbers worked out. No one would ever call those state better than Ohio

Quote:
Other selling points is history
Ohio State has a better career winning %
Ohio State has about twice as many All-Americans
Ohio State has twice as many Heisman winners


Not going to argue that OSU has a more impressive history than UF. But the history arguement rings pretty hallow. Over the past 20-30 years, I think it's fair to say that UF has had a more impressive run. And given the demographic changes within this country, combined with what Florida has done to capitalize on their built in advantages, I don't think it's much of stretch to think that over the course of the next 20-30 years, that Florida will continue to be the better program.

past 20-30years florida has been on a more impressive run? HAHAHAHA now that is funny. I have had zero problems with the argument you are making until that comment.Its not much a stretch to say the next 20-30years because no one knows whats going to happen in a time span that long

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bkobow05


Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Posts: 47008
Location: Milwaukee, WI (PB87 on the RAD sig!)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
It's easier to recruit for a SEC power that's not Bama or Florida, than it is for Ohio State. OSU can have the Heisman's, championships, etc, but Texas A&M, Georgia, LSU, and maybe South Carolina can look down upon them in recruiting because of the SEC dominance.
Wut

Explains why Ohio State has the #2 composite class ranking in the nation (and #4 according to Rivals).

Ohio State has absolutely no problem recruiting and is looked down upon by no one. Their classes are almost always loaded (2010 was an outlier IMO) and, of the schools you listed in the SEC "second tier," only LSU and Georgia do what tOSU does on an annual basis.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bkobow05


Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Posts: 47008
Location: Milwaukee, WI (PB87 on the RAD sig!)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivals Team Recruiting Rankings
Since 2002

Ohio State
#5, #41, #16, #12, #12, #15, #4, #3, #25, #11, #4, #4
Average: #12
Top 10 Classes: 5
Top 5 Classes: 5

Georgia
#3, #6, #9, #10, #4, #9, #7, #6, #15, #5, #12, #10
Average: #8
Top 10 Classes: 10
Top 5 Classes: 3

Louisiana State
#15, #1, #2, #22, #7, #4, #11, #2, #6, #6, #18, #5
Average: #8
Top 10 Classes: 8
Top 5 Classes: 5

South Carolina
#11, #8, #38, #23, #24, #6, #22, #12, #24, #18, #19, #17
Average: #18
Top 10 Classes: 2
Top 5 Classes: 0

Texas A&M
#23, #10, #20, #8, #26, #43, #16, #22, #17, #27, #15, #8
Average: #19
Top 10 Classes: 3
Top 5 Classes: 0

As you can see, Georgia and LSU have put together better averages by having more top 10 classes but none of the group have had more top 5 classes than Ohio State (LSU had same amount).
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bkobow05


Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Posts: 47008
Location: Milwaukee, WI (PB87 on the RAD sig!)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now I feel dirty for defending Ohio State.


_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devils1854


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 22279
Location: Tyler Starr, Adopt a Falcon
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkobow05 wrote:
Rivals Team Recruiting Rankings
Since 2002

Ohio State
#5, #41, #16, #12, #12, #15, #4, #3, #25, #11, #4, #4
Average: #12
Top 10 Classes: 5
Top 5 Classes: 5

Georgia
#3, #6, #9, #10, #4, #9, #7, #6, #15, #5, #12, #10
Average: #8
Top 10 Classes: 10
Top 5 Classes: 3

Louisiana State
#15, #1, #2, #22, #7, #4, #11, #2, #6, #6, #18, #5
Average: #8
Top 10 Classes: 8
Top 5 Classes: 5

South Carolina
#11, #8, #38, #23, #24, #6, #22, #12, #24, #18, #19, #17
Average: #18
Top 10 Classes: 2
Top 5 Classes: 0

Texas A&M
#23, #10, #20, #8, #26, #43, #16, #22, #17, #27, #15, #8
Average: #19
Top 10 Classes: 3
Top 5 Classes: 0

As you can see, Georgia and LSU have put together better averages by having more top 10 classes but none of the group have had more top 5 classes than Ohio State (LSU had same amount).


i was saying going forward since A&M is now in the SEC, and SCAR is becoming a power, but just from your research, two non top 8ish programs in the nation have repeatedly outrecruited OSU in the past 12 years. Georgia have 10 of 12 classes in Rivals top 10(83%) and LSU having 8 of 12(75%), compared to Ohio State at 5 of 12(42%).

Its pretty easy to see how the SEC is doing what they are doing. Even the so called "mid-level" national programs are out recruiting most of the other top programs from other conferences on a yearly basis.
_________________

#JDI

Taysom Hill 2014 Heisman Campaign
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group