Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Path of Exile - New free to play Action RPG - Diablo 2.5ish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Madden 15 and video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger murdock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Path of Exile - New free to play Action RPG - Diablo 2.5ish Reply with quote

Anyone playing Path of Exile?

Its a new free to play Action RPG released by Grinding Gear Games. Its in Open Beta right now.

https://www.pathofexile.com/

^--- download it from there.

Its really fun. Its very similar to Diablo 2, moreso than Diablo 3 is. It has a very dark and eery feel. The systems and mechanics are incredible.

Great weapons, armors, and trading systems. No gold/currency, everything is 100% trade based, even with vendors which works really well.

Active Skills are well done. You earn new abilities by finding them, or getting them as quest rewards, and level them up by usage. Must be equiping the right type of gear to use certain spells. Gives a sense of identity and ownership never present in Diablo 3.

MASSIVE, and I mean MASSIVE passive skill tree. Over 1000 skills. Pretty overwhelming but there are a ton of cool abilities.

The combat is obviously not as polished as a game from a massive company like Blizzard but it is still quiet good.

Also there is PVP and you wont even have to wait a year to enjoy it.

I think a lot of people on this site would like playing it, I prefer it to Diablo 3. I'm blown away that a small company could put together a free to play product this strong.

Trailer below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skill tree and weapon slot gem thing looks really really awesome.

Then I downloaded the Beta and played it.

It's so boring, just like Diablo games.

Ugh, but the skill tree looks so nice and fun, why is the game play so lame and repetitive!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded it the other week when open beta first came out. Loved it, this is what Diablo 3 should've been. The sphere grid reminds me of FFX and putting builds together is a painful process (but that's the fun in theorycrafting). I'm only 25 right now on my witch, and I've enjoyed it so far.

Pros:
- Sphere grid (anyone can be anything)
- Currency system (no gold or money, just trade goods)
- Dark atmosphere
- Free
- Spell effects

Cons:
- Anyone can be anything (sphere grid I like, but if a warrior can be a caster it takes away from the "individuality" of the class)
- Runs slower than say D3 or Torchlight 2, but it's still beta.
- No damage meters or numbers. I'm ok with no numbers showing how hard I hit, but I'd to know whether I'm missing or it's glitchy.
General_Bean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:

Ugh, but the skill tree looks so nice and fun, why is the game play so lame and repetitive!

Arpgs are always repetitive, that's just the genre's nature. D3 is the same, T2 is the same, D2 was the same. Its just a big farming game. Crazies like me enjoy this for some reason
sandwhich

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General_Bean wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

Arpgs are always repetitive, that's just the genre's nature. D3 is the same, T2 is the same, D2 was the same. Its just a big farming game. Crazies like me enjoy this for some reason

Yeah I know Crying or Very sad

I always really want to like the games, but I just can only grind for so long .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
General_Bean wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

I agree, it's so much fun at first, but after you play thru the whole story, ya always gotta do it again in a harder mode (which is fine) because you want to get to the max level (which i heard in this game is borderline impossible). So it's just a grind fest until you can't take it anymore...

why do we do this to ourselves?
fretgod99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
General_Bean wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

Thing is, I'll grind out levels in Final Fantasy games like it's nobody's business. But Diablo tends to bore the crap out of me after a really short time.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
sandwhich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
General_Bean wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

Thing is, I'll grind out levels in Final Fantasy games like it's nobody's business. But Diablo tends to bore the crap out of me after a really short time.

Honestly that's exactly how I feel.

Though, to be fair, I've given this game another chance and enjoyed it for an hour or two...but I just know in my heart it won't last, maybe not even enough to finish a simply run through.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played a bit more today. I think its much better than Diablo 3. I love the PvP in it. So many different possibilities.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm level 30 so far on a Marauder and I have to say i'm still enjoying this game for the most part. Right now I'm on act 3 and though I can't seem to keep up with the storyline, the gameplay still keeps me interested.

For free it's definitely worth a couple hours during the massive snow storm this weekend
sandwhich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never even tried to keep up with the story-line, I just click through all dialogue. I'm only just in act 2 because I cannot stomach the game in big chunks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
I never even tried to keep up with the story-line, I just click through all dialogue. I'm only just in act 2 because I cannot stomach the game in big chunks.

I think half of my fun is I'm playing with a friend, I've heard stories about playing with other people how it can be a nightmare
sandwhich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General_Bean wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

I think half of my fun is I'm playing with a friend, I've heard stories about playing with other people how it can be a nightmare

Yeah I play it with 2 friends. It's alright, I jam out to music and laugh at stupid stuff...but I can do that with other games too.

It's a mediocre game that I'm playing because my friends like it, but it can be fun at times.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone PvP? I have been doing it a bit with my level 27 tempest. After starting out 14 and 14 I have won about 80 duels in a roe without dying once.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing it off and on since the game went open beta. So far I have a lvl45 Duelist (quit playing it), lvl49 Marauder (main) and a lvl27 Templar.

I love the leveling system and the currency system. For me it feels like the level progression allows for more personalization, I know for my Marauder I planned out the level progression entirely ahead of time and tried to customize my build the best I could.

The major issue I have with this game is that the storyline is rather weak and unless they add more "Acts" to each difficulty the game will quickly get old for those who hate playing the same story, maps and bosses over and over. It also makes me wonder what the endgame will be like.

They are still in beta, so hopefully they can work on much of this later.

Overall its a fun game, especially when playing with others and being that the game is free, its at least worth trying out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Madden 15 and video games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: