Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Offseason Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bone_Collector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: 2013 Offseason Mock Reply with quote

Alright guys, I'm new and this is my first mock ever so have at it! I'm not an expert with the cap, but I'm assuming we are still limited in cap space. Also, I'm not a fan of signing big name free agents. It hasn't worked for us in the past and also look at the Bills. No trades in my draft.
Critiques are always welcome. I'll justify anything if i have to. Let me know what you think. Go Raiders!

New Coaches:

Greg Olson Offensive Coordinator

Tony Sparano AHC & OL Coach

Bobby April Special Teams Coordinator

Bob Sanders Linebackers Coach

Players Cut:

Darrius Heyward-Bey WR: I love DHB, but he is not worth his price tag. Rod Streater had similar production with less playing time and at a fraction of the price. Somebody will have room for him, but I think it's time for us to move on.

Mike Briesel OG: Part of the ZBS movement that failed miserably. From what I've read here, releasing him is easy on the cap so this is a no-brainer now that it looks like we're switching back to the PBS. We could keep him, but he's overpriced and would be playing in a scheme that doesn't favor his playing strengths.

Tommy Kelly DT: Dude looked so sluggish this year. Another victim of the cap. Not worth his deal. He commits numerous boneheaded penalties and we don't need that.

Dave Tollefson: Doesn't offer much. Kick rocks yo!

Rolando McClain LB: He makes too much to be a scout team RB.

Unrestricted Free Agents Retained:

Mike Goodson RB: One year vet minimum sounds about right. I like him since he offers value as a change of pace back and as a returner. Very good pass catcher out of the back field.

Brandon Myers TE I'm not a cap wizard, but I feel like we'll get him signed with a reasonable 4-year deal. There are other TEs on the market that will lower his value IMO. He looked lost as an in-line blocker in the ZBS so maybe a switch back in schemes will help him out in that area. I really hope he stays.

Desmond Bryant DT: Another guy reaching an agreement on a 4-year deal with us. This guys made the most of his opportunities and plays with a high motor. I am very comfortable having him as our UT going forward.

Matt Shaughnessy DE: I just can't see him getting a lucrative offer elsewhere. Comes back to build his value

Andre Carter DE: 1-year vet minimum. He looked like he was regaining form. Offers good depth as a pass-rusher.

Phillip Wheeler LB: He had his moments, good and bad. Overall, I think he did a pretty good job. I see him getting a 3-year deal. Nothing extravagant with money though. He's a leader and the kind of guy we need on our team.

Omar Gaither LB: 1-year vet minimum. He played well for us down the stretch as a street free agent. He has experience and offers depth at MLB and even at WLB.

Mike Mitchell S: 1-year vet minimum. Fiery guy who bleeds silver and black. Keep him for depth purposes.

Joselio Hanson: 1-year deal. We need some experience in our secondary and he isn't terrible. Decent slot guy.

Restricted and Exclusive Rights Free Agents Retained:

Jeremy Stewart RB: Lets see how he responds to scheme switch.

Jamize Olwale FB: Possibly a Marcel Reece clone.

Rod Streater WR: I love this kid. I hope he can continue to grow. He has a knack for making plays.

Lucas Nix OG: Staff seems to love him. He's a mauler and I hope he can contribute more this season.

Alex Parsons OL: Decent depth

Willie Smith OT: Ehh, decided to keep him. I'm willing to give him a shot at a job in TC.

Keenan Clayton LB: Decent STer. Depth at WLB

Kaelin Burnett LB: Competition at LB

Phillip Adams CB: I look for him to compete for a starting job at CB.

Brandian Ross CB: Provides decent depth at CB. I like him going forward.

Coye Franceis CB: TC competition

Cory Nelms DB: TC competition

2013 NFL Free Agency

Brian Hoyer QB: 3rd QB behind Palmer and Pryor

Jabar Gaffney WR: Need a veteran behind these young guys.

Jeremy Trueblood OT: Not much of an upgrade over Barnes, but I have him signing here because of his ties to Olson

Nate Garner OL: With a young group at Guard, we add a veteran here and hope he can do well.

Terrance Knighton DT: Gets a chance to prove himself for a multi-year deal next offseason as the starting NT for us on a 1-year deal. Should come cheaply.

Larry Grant LB: I think he'll be our only multi-year signee. 3 or 4 years. Gets an opportunity to hold down the for at MLB for us.

Mike Jenkins CB: Gets a chance to be a #1 for us and up his value for a multi-year deal next offseason. Suffered injuries last season for the 'Boys.

2013 NFL Draft

Round 1: Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan: I have Geno going to KC and Star to JAX. I am picking Fisher here because he's the BPA in my mind at this spot. I don't foresee a trade opportunity unfortunately. If it weren't for the spinal concern with Jarvis Jones, I'd consider him as well but it's a red flag for me. Demontre Moore doesn't impress me and I think he's not athletic enough at his smallish size at DE. In the end, I think Fisher's stock will continue to rise and supplant Joeckel as the top tackle in the draft. With Fisher, we move Veldheer to RT where he'll see less speed rushers. Palmer will have outstanding protection and the run game should improve as well. I know Veldheer is a solid LT, but he isn't great. Fisher in my mind will be. At 3rd overall, we need a guy that can be dominant from day one.

Round 3: William Gholston DE Michigan State: He has a good frame and decent production. I won't let the last name scare me. Fills a need and is one of the best players available around that spot.

Round 4: Duke Williams FS Nevada: Good speed but lacks ideal size. Isn't afraid to lay the wood. I welcome him to Oakland.

Round 5: Kyle Long OL Oregon:[/i] As evident at the Senior Bowl, Long will be a project. Howie's baby boy will play OG for us.

Round 6: DJ Hayden CB Houston: A solid man-to-man CB at Houston.

Round 6 (compensatory pick): Kenbrell Thompkins WR Cincinnati:Fights for jump balls and isn't afraid to go over the middle in traffic. He's gritty and he reminds me a little bit of Rod Streater.

Round 7: DeQuinta Jones DT Arkansas: Not much production, but he has some good measurables to roll the dice on. I can see him developing into a rotational DL

Round 7 (from Panthers): Matt Furstenburg TE Maryland: I like his size and from what I've seen he has decent hands. I'm curious to see his 40-time. Worth a shot in the 7th round.

Depth Chart

QB: Carson Palmer, Terell Pryor, Brian Hoyer

RB: Darren McFadden, Mike Goodson, Taiwan Jones

FB: Marcel Reece, Jimaze Owale

WR: Denarius Moore, Jacoby Ford, Rod Streater, Juron Criner, Kenbrell Thompkins

[i]TE: Brandon Myers, David Aussberry, Richard Gordon

OT: Eric Fisher, Jared Veldheer, Jeremy Trueblood, Willie Smith

[i]OG: Nate Garner, Tony Bergstrom, Lucas Nix

OC: Steffan Wisniewski, Alex Parsons (also at Guard)

DE: Lamarr Houston, Matt Shaugnessy, Andre Carter, William Gholston, Jack Crawford

DT: Desmond Bryant, Terrance Knighton, Christo Bilukidi, DeQunita Jones

LB: Larry Grant, Miles Burris, Phillip Wheeler, Omar Gaither, Keenan Clayton, Kaelin Burnett

CB: Mike Jenkins, Phillip Adams, Joselio Hanson, Brandian Ross, DJ Hayden, Chimdi Chekwa

S: Mike Huff, Tyvon Branch, Mike Mitchell, Duke Williams

K: Sebastian Janikowski

P: Marquette King

LS: Jon Condo

Starting lineup:

Offense
QB: Palmer
RB: DMC
FB: Reece
WR: Moore and Ford
TE: Myers
LT: Fisher
LG: Garner
C: Wiz
RG: Bergstrom
RT: Veldheer

Defense
DE: Shaugnessy and Houston
DT: Bryant and Knighton
LB: Burris(WLB), Grant (MLB), Wheeler (SLB)
CB: Jenkins and Adams
S: Huff and Branch

Last edited by Bone_Collector on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
BlackPrestige92

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it a lot. I wouldn't be mad with Fisher over Joekel(Let's be clear I prefer Joekel though) at all.
I just wish we drafted a RB or something bc DMC won't last past week 6 and Goodson aint that good son. First offseason thread that didn't make me say

的f Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, I知 uncoachable, I知 unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackPrestige92 wrote:
I like it a lot. I wouldn't be mad with Fisher over Joekel(Let's be clear I prefer Joekel though) at all.
I just wish we drafted a RB or something bc DMC won't last past week 6 and Goodson aint that good son. First offseason thread that didn't make me say

Would you wanna grab Lattimore in the late rounds? Where is he projected?
BlackPrestige92

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiiiiidersssss wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:

Would you wanna grab Lattimore in the late rounds? Where is he projected?

lol that would be a dream! But...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/23/marcus-lattimore-expects-to-be-ready-for-start-of-season/

I know someone will take a gamble on him earlier than any of us think he'd be available for us. I'd love it. I wish we could get Lacey, but those 2 aren't going to be Raiders.
I hope we find a gem tho.

的f Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, I知 uncoachable, I知 unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
raidr4life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad! I think Streater starts over Ford
101Raider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to be a jerk, but I don't think we did near enough on defense, way to many questions. I have problems with:

CB: Not sure about Jenkins as a #1, who's going to be our #2 unless you're thinking about starting Duke Williams and starting Huff at corner

LB: Not enough done here. Burris could be upgraded and Grant comes from a 3-4 system

DT: Rotation of Knighton, Bryant, Bilikudi is kinda poor

DE: no pass rushing DE
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't dig a draft that has a FS over Brandon Williams (DT - Missouri Southern) in the 3rd round. And he is actually in the north squad that our staff is coaching. This guy was the best in the country at that level. Playing him at NT next to Bilukidi and Desmont Bryant woudl be a nice inside rotation.

Pretty good otherwise.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
Bone_Collector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

101Raider wrote:
Not trying to be a jerk, but I don't think we did near enough on defense, way to many questions. I have problems with:

CB: Not sure about Jenkins as a #1, who's going to be our #2 unless you're thinking about starting Duke Williams and starting Huff at corner

LB: Not enough done here. Burris could be upgraded and Grant comes from a 3-4 system

DT: Rotation of Knighton, Bryant, Bilikudi is kinda poor

DE: no pass rushing DE

No worries bro. I'm under the assumption that we're still tight with money, plus I don't see anybody out there who will be worth overpaying for.

I think Adams will step up and be our #2. I'm confident that our CBs wont be hurt all year so Huff can stay at FS and make plays for us.

At LB, I could see another veteran being added. I think Grant can do well as a 4-3 MLB. It's a risk I'm willing to take. The staff loves Burris and they'll let him continue to develop.

This DT rotation would be better than last seasons.

At DE, yea I would have loved to draft one early, but Moore and Werner I'm not too fond of, and Jones has a medical concern. Also, if we could land a 2nd in this scenario, I'd defintley try to take one in round 2. So for this situation, I settled for Gholston.
Bone_Collector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
I can't dig a draft that has a FS over Brandon Williams (DT - Missouri Southern) in the 3rd round. And he is actually in the north squad that our staff is coaching. This guy was the best in the country at that level. Playing him at NT next to Bilukidi and Desmont Bryant woudl be a nice inside rotation.

Pretty good otherwise.

I just think that we'd have to trade up in the 2nd to get him. He won't last until the 3rd IMO.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubts that he will be there at the top of the 3rd. Book it. Wink

Raider X hooked me with the sig
McRaider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is kyle long on your roster? and seriously wheres the DT's & pass rush we need that more than OL.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I'm not a huge fan of your draft but i agree with a lot of the things you did in FA. Don't want Mike Jenkins though. I also kinda doubt we'd sign Trueblood and use our first pick on Fisher.
Raidin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worries me that your first pick is based primarily from the Senior bowl.
Bone_Collector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
Worries me that your first pick is based primarily from the Senior bowl.

It sure did influence it (with measurements mostly), but I've been high on him for awhile.
Bone_Collector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McRaider wrote:
where is kyle long on your roster? and seriously wheres the DT's & pass rush we need that more than OL.

Whoops my bad Laughing

Well, I just felt that in free agency, I didn't want to overpay for a guy like Michael Johnson or Cliff Avril. Also at the 3rd spot, I just don't like Moore or Jones there. I would prefer to trade down but it's unlikely IMO. I went with offense because I feel that we're much closer to get where we want to be than we are on defense. One offseason won't fix everything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: