Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eli Manning's legacy after he retires?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Malik


Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Posts: 4269
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetlight3989 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Some players get in the hall due to great stats (Marino), other get in due to being in a great situation, posting decent stats and being on winners (Aikman, Eli and Bradshaw).

I wouldnt call Eli an elite QB of all time (as in top 10) but I think he should be placed right around where Aikman is honestly.

I agree with this statement.

Eli will be remembered as a great (yet inconsistent) player who turned it up a notch in the playoffs and could be downright perfect at times.

I personally think that Eli will more consistently put together elite stats in the future and he has a chance at another super bowl.

Lets say he wins 1 more ring, 1 MVP, and puts up another two or three years of boderline elite season?

Where does he stand now?


Uhh any QB with an MVP, a Super Bowl right, and several elite seasons would be in Hall of Fame contention even if they didn't have 2 other rings. Eli hasn't proven that he could have an MVP season and slim chance he'll have 2 or 3 borderline elite seasons. As long as Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees are in the league, he can pretty much only peak at 5th best. That's assuming none of the young(er) QBs improve.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GEE MEN


Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 4097
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:

If you think it's just because of 2 games you've never watched more than those 2 games. He was playing at the same level through both postseason runs and all on the road (outside of the game vs Atl I believe). Also nearly had 5000 yards last season? lol 2 games.


Again not saying that Eli Manning is a below average or even average QB.

But are we going to pretend that Eli Manning would be conisdered say better than Donovan McNabb outside of those two games?

I mean let's be honest.

Eli has a very pedestrian career touchdown to turnover ratio. HE's never been close to playing at an all-pro level

He has a few seasons as a top 8-10 QB but that's not HOF worthy, not even close.


Not a good comparison with McNabb. Those "2 games" are the primary reason why most people play in the NFL -- to achieve the highest pinnacle of the sport. When Eli played in those "2 games" (slightly more important than 2 preseason games but not by much) Eli stepped up and lead his team down the field for 2 improbable victories with approximately 2 minutes left in each game (a little more the second time). Sure the team and defense played well but down late Eli rallied the offense with incredible 4th QTR comebacks. Eli had the poise and cool not to panic on the biggest stage with the world watching. He may not be statistically impressive but those "2 games" earned him the HOF.

When McNabb was in the same position with about 2 minutes left in his "1 game" he panicked and literally left it all on the field as he vomited repeatedly in the huddle. People handle pressure differently. Eli has demonstrated that he is a money (HOF) QB when it matters the most. Others not so much.
_________________


Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurplePeterson


Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 550
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eli is a hall of famer, he has 2 rings, enough said

To anybody who thinks that Eli is not a hall of famer, do you think he is Tony Romo or something?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Vanilla_Ice


Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Posts: 104
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he should be a first ballot HOF, but he's so freaking inconsistent he drives me crazy.



Giants fans will only remember the SB's, but that's all that matters. He's one of the most clutch Qb's to ever play, and also one of the most mind bogglingly inconsistent. One game he looks like the best parts of every QB in the league, and the next game he looks like Scott Mitchell!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
houstonX


Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 366
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEE MEN wrote:
BBIB wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:

If you think it's just because of 2 games you've never watched more than those 2 games. He was playing at the same level through both postseason runs and all on the road (outside of the game vs Atl I believe). Also nearly had 5000 yards last season? lol 2 games.


Again not saying that Eli Manning is a below average or even average QB.

But are we going to pretend that Eli Manning would be conisdered say better than Donovan McNabb outside of those two games?

I mean let's be honest.

Eli has a very pedestrian career touchdown to turnover ratio. HE's never been close to playing at an all-pro level

He has a few seasons as a top 8-10 QB but that's not HOF worthy, not even close.


Not a good comparison with McNabb. Those "2 games" are the primary reason why most people play in the NFL -- to achieve the highest pinnacle of the sport. When Eli played in those "2 games" (slightly more important than 2 preseason games but not by much) Eli stepped up and lead his team down the field for 2 improbable victories with approximately 2 minutes left in each game (a little more the second time). Sure the team and defense played well but down late Eli rallied the offense with incredible 4th QTR comebacks. Eli had the poise and cool not to panic on the biggest stage with the world watching. He may not be statistically impressive but those "2 games" earned him the HOF.

When McNabb was in the same position with about 2 minutes left in his "1 game" he panicked and literally left it all on the field as he vomited repeatedly in the huddle. People handle pressure differently. Eli has demonstrated that he is a money (HOF) QB when it matters the most. Others not so much.


So out of Eli Manning's 9 seasons, only two of those seasons mattered? What about the 3 postseasons he went one and done? Do those not matter?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Strawman Theory


Joined: 06 Jun 2012
Posts: 475
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurplePeterson wrote:


To anybody who thinks that Eli is not a hall of famer, do you think he is Tony Romo or something?
Nope, he's not Romo he's worse with rings.

211 TDs, 198 potential turnovers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minutemancl


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 11855
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strawman Theory wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:


To anybody who thinks that Eli is not a hall of famer, do you think he is Tony Romo or something?
Nope, he's not Romo he's worse with rings.

211 TDs, 198 potential turnovers.


Nope, his numbers are even WORSE than that.

He's thrown, what, over 4400 passes? All of those were potential turnovers, if you think about it. That's FORTY-FOUR HUNDRED potential turnovers. Hardly hall of fame.

Worst QB ever IMO.
_________________
aceinthehouse wrote:
But why not maintain that dominance? You guys were there...

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
texans_uk


Joined: 26 Feb 2009
Posts: 28869
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
Strawman Theory wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:


To anybody who thinks that Eli is not a hall of famer, do you think he is Tony Romo or something?
Nope, he's not Romo he's worse with rings.

211 TDs, 198 potential turnovers.


Nope, his numbers are even WORSE than that.

He's thrown, what, over 4400 passes? All of those were potential turnovers, if you think about it. That's FORTY-FOUR HUNDRED potential turnovers. Hardly hall of fame.

Worst QB ever IMO.


144 interceptions, 73 fumbles, 12 recovered.

144 + 61 = 207 potential turnovers.

I'm sorry but as bad as some Eli bashing might get, some Eli fans are just embarrassing.
_________________
DallasInHeart wrote:
Buddy if you lived in Europe or ever gone to visit Europe you would know that over there Football is totally on a different level

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HakeemTheDream


Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Posts: 519
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of right now, Eli is NOT a HOFer. But I have NO doubt in my mind that he will be enshrined in Canton eventually. His accomplishments already make him borderline, as he is a two-time Superbowl MVP, has two rings, made 3 Pro-Bowls (well, he didn't play in 2011, but still received the game check), and has been putting together solid statistics throughout his career. Combine that with the fact that he has NEVER led his team to a losing record, and HOF is definitely within sights.

He will be 32 during the 2013 NFL season, which is prime age for a QB IMO. I expect another six years of 3800+ yards and 24+ TDs. Those numbers are the floor, and would still give him 54,300 passing yards and 355 TDs. Know where he would rank among QBs all time? His 54k passing yards would put him in 4th place all time, behind only Peyton, Marino, and Favre. Only Brady and Brees have the possibility to pass Eli, so that would make him 6th all time at the age of 38. What about TDs, you ask? Well those 355 TDs would put him in 5th place all time, behind only Tarkenton, Marino, Peyton, and Favre. Sure, Brady and Brees could pass him in this category too, but it would still drop him to just 7th place all time.

So let me ask you this... is a QB who has won (at least) two rings, 2 Superbowl MVPs, and ranks top 7 ALL-TIME in passing yards and passing TDs, HOF worthy? ABSOLUTELY.

I know I am assuming that Eli remains healthy for those next 6 years, but he has never missed a game in his career. Tthe 3800 yards and 24 TDs really aren't that great of numbers and it still would put him among the best all-time.

So to answer the original poster's questions:
- Eli will stand as a great but not elite QB during this era of great quarterbacking. Not a stat-padder by any means, but someone who you can have full confidence in when the game is on-the-line or on the biggest of stages.
- He will absolutely make the HOF, as long as he stays relatively healthy.
- He will rank among the top 10-20 QBs of all-time.
- Eli will be the Manning you want in the playoffs, whereas Peyton is the one you want in the regular season. One of the clutchest QBs in NFL history. Always will be remembered for ending the perfect season by NE.

Well, there is my opinion of Eli's legacy. Did those bulk stats to go along with his accolades already received change anyone's opinion?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15382
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetlight3989 wrote:

Lets say he wins 1 more ring, 1 MVP, and puts up another two or three years of boderline elite season?

Where does he stand now?



People here have no idea how close Eli is to GOAT status.

If he went on another Super Bowl run and won a 3rd Super Bowl MVP, it matters not what his regular season totals would be. He would be considered one of the greatest playoff QBs ever. Considering again how he's the only guy to win 4 playoff games in a season TWICE, on a 9-7 and 10-6 team in major upsets.


I mean, what more would he have to do?


And of course if the Giants get stronger and Eli wins two more Super Bowls.



He has a very fair shot at #1. You can't underestimate what a fantastic 3 year window can do for a player.


Joe Montana from 88-90 raised his legacy two fold.
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BBIB


Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 8771
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
streetlight3989 wrote:

Lets say he wins 1 more ring, 1 MVP, and puts up another two or three years of boderline elite season?

Where does he stand now?



People here have no idea how close Eli is to GOAT status.

If he went on another Super Bowl run and won a 3rd Super Bowl MVP, it matters not what his regular season totals would be. He would be considered one of the greatest playoff QBs ever. Considering again how he's the only guy to win 4 playoff games in a season TWICE, on a 9-7 and 10-6 team in major upsets.


I mean, what more would he have to do?


And of course if the Giants get stronger and Eli wins two more Super Bowls.



He has a very fair shot at #1. You can't underestimate what a fantastic 3 year window can do for a player.


Joe Montana from 88-90 raised his legacy two fold.


I was waiting for the sarcasm tag Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shockey1979


Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 20295
Location: RI/MA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
As of right now, Eli is NOT a HOFer. But I have NO doubt in my mind that he will be enshrined in Canton eventually. His accomplishments already make him borderline, as he is a two-time Superbowl MVP, has two rings, made 3 Pro-Bowls (well, he didn't play in 2011, but still received the game check), and has been putting together solid statistics throughout his career. Combine that with the fact that he has NEVER led his team to a losing record, and HOF is definitely within sights.

He will be 32 during the 2013 NFL season, which is prime age for a QB IMO. I expect another six years of 3800+ yards and 24+ TDs. Those numbers are the floor, and would still give him 54,300 passing yards and 355 TDs. Know where he would rank among QBs all time? His 54k passing yards would put him in 4th place all time, behind only Peyton, Marino, and Favre. Only Brady and Brees have the possibility to pass Eli, so that would make him 6th all time at the age of 38. What about TDs, you ask? Well those 355 TDs would put him in 5th place all time, behind only Tarkenton, Marino, Peyton, and Favre. Sure, Brady and Brees could pass him in this category too, but it would still drop him to just 7th place all time.

So let me ask you this... is a QB who has won (at least) two rings, 2 Superbowl MVPs, and ranks top 7 ALL-TIME in passing yards and passing TDs, HOF worthy? ABSOLUTELY.

I know I am assuming that Eli remains healthy for those next 6 years, but he has never missed a game in his career. Tthe 3800 yards and 24 TDs really aren't that great of numbers and it still would put him among the best all-time.

So to answer the original poster's questions:
- Eli will stand as a great but not elite QB during this era of great quarterbacking. Not a stat-padder by any means, but someone who you can have full confidence in when the game is on-the-line or on the biggest of stages.
- He will absolutely make the HOF, as long as he stays relatively healthy.
- He will rank among the top 10-20 QBs of all-time.
- Eli will be the Manning you want in the playoffs, whereas Peyton is the one you want in the regular season. One of the clutchest QBs in NFL history. Always will be remembered for ending the perfect season by NE.

Well, there is my opinion of Eli's legacy. Did those bulk stats to go along with his accolades already received change anyone's opinion?


X2

Couldn't have typed it better myself.
_________________

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shockey1979


Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 20295
Location: RI/MA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

Outside the top 30


Statistically or subjectively?
_________________

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15382
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:
I was waiting for the sarcasm tag Shocked


People seem to mock the Montana comparison, but it is a fair comparison all things considered.

Prior to 1987, Montana had 2 Super Bowl Championships and 2 Super Bowl MVPs.

Yes, he had more productive regular season numbers, but considering his offense, he had not yet reached the pinnacle.

Then from 87-90, he racks up better numbers, wins two more Super Bowls, two league MVPs and is considered GOAT by the 1990 NFC Championship where if it were not for Leonard Marshall, Montana would most likely have 5 Championships, maybe more.



So Eli has a fair shot, but that's okay, he'll never touch a 3rd ring right? Rolling Eyes
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brown_Mamba


Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 1702
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of feel like Joe Flacco will go down a similar path that Eli has gone down.

Both phenomenal playoff QB's, but both have had their share of inconsistency.
_________________

Dirk No-Miss-zki fan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group