Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eli Manning's legacy after he retires?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninersfan1984

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
Ninersfan1984 wrote:

So they have been average about every year and that is great how? Look at Eli's ints since 2005 he has thrown 15+ int 6 times including twice throwing over 20. How is that helping his team?

Eli's career record since 2005 is 85-54. 31 games over .500. So much for average...

Eli is a risk-taking QB. It's going to lead to interceptions. Want to know another fairly successful QB who threw a lot of INTs? Brett Favre. He still ended up being pretty good. Eli had one year where he played conservatively, in 2008. Resulted in the team tying the record for least turnovers in a season (13). If he wants to limit turnovers, he can do that. But the Giants need him to win games, which involves making risky throws.

Brett Farve was one of the best QB's in the league when he played for most years how many years can you say that of Eli? He also won a regular season MVP there is a big difference between those two. Team record is part of QB but it also has to do with the whole team Phillip Rivers has a 70-42 career record so what is he elite now? Eli throwing ints has nothing to do with having to take risks it is because he is inconsistent.
Ninersfan1984

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
As of right now, Eli is NOT a HOFer. But I have NO doubt in my mind that he will be enshrined in Canton eventually. His accomplishments already make him borderline, as he is a two-time Superbowl MVP, has two rings, made 3 Pro-Bowls (well, he didn't play in 2011, but still received the game check), and has been putting together solid statistics throughout his career. Combine that with the fact that he has NEVER led his team to a losing record, and HOF is definitely within sights.

He will be 32 during the 2013 NFL season, which is prime age for a QB IMO. I expect another six years of 3800+ yards and 24+ TDs. Those numbers are the floor, and would still give him 54,300 passing yards and 355 TDs. Know where he would rank among QBs all time? His 54k passing yards would put him in 4th place all time, behind only Peyton, Marino, and Favre. Only Brady and Brees have the possibility to pass Eli, so that would make him 6th all time at the age of 38. What about TDs, you ask? Well those 355 TDs would put him in 5th place all time, behind only Tarkenton, Marino, Peyton, and Favre. Sure, Brady and Brees could pass him in this category too, but it would still drop him to just 7th place all time.

So let me ask you this... is a QB who has won (at least) two rings, 2 Superbowl MVPs, and ranks top 7 ALL-TIME in passing yards and passing TDs, HOF worthy? ABSOLUTELY.

I know I am assuming that Eli remains healthy for those next 6 years, but he has never missed a game in his career. Tthe 3800 yards and 24 TDs really aren't that great of numbers and it still would put him among the best all-time.

So to answer the original poster's questions:
- Eli will stand as a great but not elite QB during this era of great quarterbacking. Not a stat-padder by any means, but someone who you can have full confidence in when the game is on-the-line or on the biggest of stages.
- He will absolutely make the HOF, as long as he stays relatively healthy.
- He will rank among the top 10-20 QBs of all-time.
- Eli will be the Manning you want in the playoffs, whereas Peyton is the one you want in the regular season. One of the clutchest QBs in NFL history. Always will be remembered for ending the perfect season by NE.

Well, there is my opinion of Eli's legacy. Did those bulk stats to go along with his accolades already received change anyone's opinion?

Do you really think voters care about career yards especially when Drew Bledsoe and Vinny Testaverde are in the top ten in passing yards? Eli needs to stay consistent and win something else MVP, Superbowl to get in.
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninersfan1984 wrote:

Do you really think voters care about career yards especially when Drew Bledsoe and Vinny Testaverde are in the top ten in passing yards? Eli needs to stay consistent and win something else MVP, Superbowl to get in.

I must have missed those SB MVP's Bledsoe and Testaverde won. Laughing

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
Malik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninersfan1984 wrote:
HakeemTheDream wrote:
Ninersfan1984 wrote:

So they have been average about every year and that is great how? Look at Eli's ints since 2005 he has thrown 15+ int 6 times including twice throwing over 20. How is that helping his team?

Eli's career record since 2005 is 85-54. 31 games over .500. So much for average...

Eli is a risk-taking QB. It's going to lead to interceptions. Want to know another fairly successful QB who threw a lot of INTs? Brett Favre. He still ended up being pretty good. Eli had one year where he played conservatively, in 2008. Resulted in the team tying the record for least turnovers in a season (13). If he wants to limit turnovers, he can do that. But the Giants need him to win games, which involves making risky throws.

Brett Farve was one of the best QB's in the league when he played for most years how many years can you say that of Eli? He also won a regular season MVP there is a big difference between those two. Team record is part of QB but it also has to do with the whole team Phillip Rivers has a 70-42 career record so what is he elite now? Eli throwing ints has nothing to do with having to take risks it is because he is inconsistent.

Right? Favre's 94-97 > Eli's career. Eli will never have a peak like Favre.
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
Ninersfan1984 wrote:

When you're hating it blinds you to...you know...history and facts. Amazingly same thing can be said for homerism. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
Ninersfan1984 wrote:

I never said they were better players I was saying they are not considered Hall of Famers even with their numbers and that career numbers have little to do with the Hall of Fame
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninersfan1984 wrote:

Malik wrote:

Right? Favre's 94-97 > Eli's career. Eli will never have a peak like Favre.

I wasn't comparing how good Favre and Eli were, I was comparing their styles of play.

Ninersfan1984 wrote:

I never said they were better players I was saying they are not considered Hall of Famers even with their numbers and that career numbers have little to do with the Hall of Fame

Neither of them have the accolades that Eli has to go along with the career stats.
reckless123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, Eli is a HOFer ATM but i think he has more to prove to be a HOFer. Eli throws a lot of picks not only because he takes risk but the offensive system that the giants is a high-risk/high-reward offense. So sometimes you see Eli make those WTF throws, its not always his fault.

Thats why you wont see Eli throw those gaudy statistics, you wont see 65% completion percentage and a 30+ TD and less than 10 ints, well at least consistently. Thats why stats, particular for QBs are hard to compare. I bet you if eli was running a WCO offense, you would not see Eli throw 15+ picks in a year and a sub 65% completion percentage. Im not saying he is consistent and that the offense he runs is the reason for his inconsistency but it plays a role. Its a reason why Rueben Randle wasnt featured regularly this season.

Read this article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/kevin-gilbride-option-offense-passing-game-fuels-ny-giants-article-1.1013448

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
tom cody

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As 1 of the better playoff QB's of all time.
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninersfan1984 wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
Ninersfan1984 wrote:

Maybe you should read the thread because most people are claiming Eli will be a future HOF with a combination of....his lombardi's, SB MVP's, and.....his bulk career statistics combined together. Hence why your Bledsoe/Testerverde comment was asinine.

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

houstonX wrote:
GEE MEN wrote:
BBIB wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:

If you think it's just because of 2 games you've never watched more than those 2 games. He was playing at the same level through both postseason runs and all on the road (outside of the game vs Atl I believe). Also nearly had 5000 yards last season? lol 2 games.

Again not saying that Eli Manning is a below average or even average QB.

But are we going to pretend that Eli Manning would be conisdered say better than Donovan McNabb outside of those two games?

I mean let's be honest.

Eli has a very pedestrian career touchdown to turnover ratio. HE's never been close to playing at an all-pro level

He has a few seasons as a top 8-10 QB but that's not HOF worthy, not even close.

Not a good comparison with McNabb. Those "2 games" are the primary reason why most people play in the NFL -- to achieve the highest pinnacle of the sport. When Eli played in those "2 games" (slightly more important than 2 preseason games but not by much) Eli stepped up and lead his team down the field for 2 improbable victories with approximately 2 minutes left in each game (a little more the second time). Sure the team and defense played well but down late Eli rallied the offense with incredible 4th QTR comebacks. Eli had the poise and cool not to panic on the biggest stage with the world watching. He may not be statistically impressive but those "2 games" earned him the HOF.

When McNabb was in the same position with about 2 minutes left in his "1 game" he panicked and literally left it all on the field as he vomited repeatedly in the huddle. People handle pressure differently. Eli has demonstrated that he is a money (HOF) QB when it matters the most. Others not so much.

So out of Eli Manning's 9 seasons, only two of those seasons mattered? What about the 3 postseasons he went one and done? Do those not matter?

Those 2 matter the most and he'll get voted in. If he wins a 3rd he'll be a lock for first ballot. His legacy will be mr clutch on the biggest stage twice whether people think it's fair or not.

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Frankly, Eli is a HOFer ATM but i think he has more to prove to be a HOFer. Eli throws a lot of picks not only because he takes risk but the offensive system that the giants is a high-risk/high-reward offense. So sometimes you see Eli make those WTF throws, its not always his fault.

Thats why you wont see Eli throw those gaudy statistics, you wont see 65% completion percentage and a 30+ TD and less than 10 ints, well at least consistently. Thats why stats, particular for QBs are hard to compare. I bet you if eli was running a WCO offense, you would not see Eli throw 15+ picks in a year and a sub 65% completion percentage. Im not saying he is consistent and that the offense he runs is the reason for his inconsistency but it plays a role. Its a reason why Rueben Randle wasnt featured regularly this season.

Read this article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/kevin-gilbride-option-offense-passing-game-fuels-ny-giants-article-1.1013448

He's never put up 65%, 30+ TDs with less than 20 INTs so I don't know where you are getting "well at least consistently" from.

You are one of the bigger apologists for Eli on this site, when Eli makes a dumb throw I see Shockey and co saying "Oh there is bad Eli again lol" or something to that effect, whereas you argue to the absolute death that it was the receivers fault, the linemans fault, the playcallings fault or the defender just made an incredible play. It's that which really irks me. Eli is a good QB and I would take him over Schaub, but you literally never fault him for anything.

silus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His legacy?

Russell Wilson will go on to inspire a generation of short kids wanting to play QB. And I think Eli Manning will have the same effect on kids with down syndrome.
reckless123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

Read this article:

He's never put up 65%, 30+ TDs with less than 20 INTs so I don't know where you are getting "well at least consistently" from.

You are one of the bigger apologists for Eli on this site, when Eli makes a dumb throw I see Shockey and co saying "Oh there is bad Eli again lol" or something to that effect, whereas you argue to the absolute death that it was the receivers fault, the linemans fault, the playcallings fault or the defender just made an incredible play. It's that which really irks me. Eli is a good QB and I would take him over Schaub, but you literally never fault him for anything.

Shut up and read it again. My gosh youre annoying. I was basically saying you wont see Eli with those kind of numbers because mostly in part of his offensive system.

Show me evidence where i do not blame eli for some of his throws. If you actually did your damn research you would know that I'm actually one of the few giants fans that doesnt call him elite and has labelled him inconsistent. I partly blame him along with the defense for our collapse. So get your damn facts straight. You have no evidence. And even if i have done that, maybe that is probably the case. Now shut up and get your facts straight.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg

Last edited by reckless123 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A QB that had 2 above average seasons, other than that an average at best quarterback.

Bird Watch: Mychal Kendricks
Tackles: 13 Sacks: 1 Interceptions: 0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: