Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1st post in a long time...Mock Offseason!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westwood17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: 1st post in a long time...Mock Offseason! Reply with quote

Okay I haven't posted in this forum in a few years, time to get back to it! Here is my Mock Offseason for the lions this season.

FA's Re-signed
Chris Houston (4 years, 26 million)
DeAndre Levy (3 years, 7 million)
Louis Delmas (1 year, 2.5 million)
Sammie Lee Hill (3 years, 10 million)
Jason Fox (Original Round Tender, 1.26 million)
Joique Bell (2nd round tender, 1.9 million)
Willie Young (2 years, 4 million)

Cuts
Kyle Vanden Bosch
Peterman
Dominic Raiola

Restructured
Matthew Stafford
Ndamukong Suh
Nate Burleson

Free Agents Signed
I'm only putting the major free agents we would sign

Michael Johnson(DE)
Jarius Byrd(S)

Trades
Titus Young for a 7th round pick
1st pick to San Diego for their 1st, 2nd and 6th round picks

2013 NFL Draft
1st Round: Chance Warmack(OG, Alabama)
Arguably one of the best players in the draft but he falls due to guards not being selected very high very often. With him, Reiff and our 2nd round pick we will have one of the best and youngest offensive lines in the NFL.

2nd round: Barrett Jones (OC, Alabama)
He will pair with his teammate Warmack to take over for Raiola. He isn't too strong but is extremely smart and will be a very solid pick here in the 2nd round.

2nd round: Jonathan Banks (CB, Mississippi State)
This pick will help the Lions match up with guys like Brandon Marshall and Jordy Nelson and will help the lions also move towards the new fad of having bigger guys at CB. Banks is 6'2" and doesn't mind getting physical with a receiver and also doesn't mind coming up in the run game. He should be a value pick here if he's here.

3rd round: Markus Wheaton (WR, Oregon State)
We need another weapon opposite of Calvin, and not just a possession guy. We need a guy who can take the top off of the defense and is a burner. Having Calvin, Wheaton, and Broyles(when he comes back) will help us have a very solid and athletic receiving core.

5th round: Andre Ellington (RB, Clemson)
Ellington is an athlete and will be able to come in and be a guy who can sort of take Best's role in the offense. He is a guy who is better used outside of the tackles and has tremendous speed.

6th round: Micah Hyde (CB, Iowa)
Just another guy to bring in and compete for a spot in the CB rotation

6th round: Brad Wing (P, LSU)
Our punting has sucked for the past few seasons, time to bring in a guy who can actually boom a kick.

2013-2014 Roster
QB-Stafford, Shaun Hill, Moore
RB-Leshoure, Bell, Ellington
WR-Calvin, Wheaton, Broyles, Burleson, M. Thomas
TE-Pettigrew, Scheffler, Hiller

LT-Backus, Fox
LG-Sims
C-Barrett Jones
RG-Chance Warmack
RT-Reilly Reiff

RE-Lawrence Jackson
DT-Ndamukong Suh
DT-Nick Fairley
LE-Michael Johnson

OLB-DeAndre Levy
MLB-Stephen Tulloch
OLB-Travis Lewis, Whitehead

CB-Chris Houston, Chris Greenwood, Micah Hyde
CB-Jonathan Banks, Bill Bentley, Jonte Green
FS-Jarius Byrd, Spievey
SS-Delmas

K-Hanson
P-Wing

What do you guys think? Remember, take it easy on me, it's been a long time (: haha

Last edited by westwood17 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much I can say except that I would be very, very happy with the players you kept the free agents you signed and the draft selections made. I think some are optimistic like Ellington in the 5th. I don't see him available there. Jones could also sneak into the late first

I think this would be a fantastic off season for the Lions.

One question. Where is Scheffler?

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
westwood17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Not much I can say except that I would be very, very happy with the players you kept the free agents you signed and the draft selections made.

I think this would be a fantastic off season for the Lions.

One question. Where is Scheffler?

Good catch haha. I must have just forgot to put him in there. It is now edited to include Scheffler.
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very happy if the offseason played out this way as well. My only concern would be whether or not we can make the money work with Johnson and Byrd, but I sure hope so!
iLovetheLions

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id love it, however there is about 0% chance Byrd leaves buffalo since the safety franchise number is like 6.4 mil, also thing michael johnson i going to get paid, so I not sure the money would work out

Sllim Pickens wrote:
There should be a thread for UM fans and GB fans to sit and talk about how amazing their teams are with each other.
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joique Bell is an ERFA - Exclusive Rights Free Agent where Lions only need to offer a minimum one year contract. The CBA has already determined the salary amounts.
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His contract should be about $555,000 for the one year.
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see the Lions treating Vanden Bosch the way you suggest. His cap hit for 2013 is 10.7 million because he reworked it last year to support the team. If they cut him, Lions will still have a 5 million cap hit without his services. I think they will ask him to rework the contract to about 5.7 million and ask him to be a back up this year. That would save us 5 million and a salary amount of .7 million would allow him to play out his career with dignity.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duanegarrison09 wrote:
I can't see the Lions treating Vanden Bosch the way you suggest. His cap hit for 2013 is 10.7 million because he reworked it last year to support the team. If they cut him, Lions will still have a 5 million cap hit without his services. I think they will ask him to rework the contract to about 5.7 million and ask him to be a back up this year. That would save us 5 million and a salary amount of .7 million would allow him to play out his career with dignity.

And that would push more salary into future years. He knew what he was doing when he restructured and he knew he would get 5 mil for doing nothing if he is cut. And he should be.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the draft and signings, I love it. I think there are lower level free agents even that we could sign to make this work. I love the draft with out free agency actually. The free agents just put the cherry on top.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be happy with this offeason...

but,

Sadly, there is about a .1% chance either Johnson or Byrd are available. Both will be franchised if a contract is not negotiated.

Also, most of the draft picks after the second round will be off the board and it is possible Jones and Warmack are gone by those points as well.
westwood17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiffleballtony wrote:
I would be happy with this offeason...

but,

Sadly, there is about a .1% chance either Johnson or Byrd are available. Both will be franchised if a contract is not negotiated.

Also, most of the draft picks after the second round will be off the board and it is possible Jones and Warmack are gone by those points as well.

I sadly agree with the fact that Byrd will be gone, I think we have a outside chance of signing Johnson but we would have to sign him to a very large contract. I personally hope we can get a solid safety, I don't really care who it is. I would love Byrd/William Moore/Dashon Goldson. One of them would help our defense tremendously, but the problem is that the franchise tag for Safeties is so low...hopefully we make a play for one of them though.
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
duanegarrison09 wrote:

And that would push more salary into future years. He knew what he was doing when he restructured and he knew he would get 5 mil for doing nothing if he is cut. And he should be.

Slim, it would not push anything to future years. I said to re-work his contract to 5.7 million this year and play him as a backup. Better than cutting him and still paying him 5 million. Would get his vast experience as a teacher and backup for .7million.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duanegarrison09 wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
duanegarrison09 wrote:

Slim, it would not push anything to future years. I said to re-work his contract to 5.7 million this year and play him as a backup. Better than cutting him and still paying him 5 million. Would get his vast experience as a teacher and backup for .7million.

So he's owed 7 million dollars under contract and just expect him to give that all up? He can get a minimum contract somewhere, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
duanegarrison09 wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
duanegarrison09 wrote:

So he's owed 7 million dollars under contract and just expect him to give that all up? He can get a minimum contract somewhere, I'm sure.

Dr,

If we cut him he gets his bonus of $5.6M and we save $5M salary. The cap hit would be 5.6M. I'm suggesting re-working his contract to 5.7M as a teacher and backup. It allows him to retire with dignity rather than to be cut. We can not afford to carry him at 10.7M........win win.

To simplify:

Option One: Cut him KVB get $5.6M Lions save $5M.

Option Two: Re-work contract KVB gets $5.7M Lions get back-up for an additional .7m.

There will never be a cap hit of 10.7M................aint ever going to happen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: