Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins have very few Restructure candidates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Redskins have very few Restructure candidates Reply with quote

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2013/01/redskins-have-few-restructure-candidates.html

The $18 million salary cap penalty will put the redskins $4 million over the 2013 salary cap. That sounds like a lot to be over but it is usually something that can be fixed by restructuring a few contracts. This year we don't have many candidates that qualify for restructuring though.

Quote:
The problem is, the Redskins don’t have many high salaries this year. Their highest 2013 salary is $7.5 million and it belongs to DeAngelo Hall. He has just one year left on his deal making him a less than ideal restructure candidate but more importantly he will need to negotiate a reduction in salary if he is going to stay with the team. That alone could get the team under the cap but they will have more work to do in order to resign any of their own free agents or strengthen the team with other free agent signings.

The Redskins do have some possibilities when it comes to restructuring in Pierre Garçon (2013 salary $5.6 million, 4 years left on contract), Trent Williams ($5 million, 3 years), and Barry Cofield ($4.05 million, 4 years).
But there is a problem inherent in restructures that makes Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan hesitant to execute them.

As some of you may know, restructuring contracts doesn't make cap problems go away, it just pushes them off into future. The cap is not going up for at least the next two years. This means pushing cap charges into the future will cause problems down the road, this is what happened to us in the end of the 00's. If they do that, they will be making the same mistakes Vinny Cerrato made. Cerrato end up with big cap numbers for aging veterans who have very expensive salaries and they had accelerated cap charges which made it too costly to release them.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a problem inherent in restructures which makes Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan hesitant to execute them.

I think this statement displays exactly why referring to Cerrato is not relevant to the current FO, unless only to illustrate mistakes this FO will not likely make

Going to be rough sledding working around those cap penalties. Really was a cruel and crooked scheme that Mara concocted and Goodell put in motion. All the teams that voted for this screw job just ensured a vote against them when the witch hunt turns on their team.

I don't see how we sign any good FA's this year
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know,,I'm sure someone will say I'm just trying to make us all feel better but this team doesn't have a ton of needs like in the past few seasons. We won't have to deal with the "distractions" of big money free agents coming in and disrupting the team harmony.
Maybe we'll be able to sign one or two mid tier guys to add depth or push a starter.
It gives all our second year guys more hope to make a contribution and this years draft class a better chance of making the team.. In any event, we just have to accept it --I just don't think the consequences are necessairly ALL BAD..
I still think Fred Davis may be the biggest casualty --
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
You know,,I'm sure someone will say I'm just trying to make us all feel better but this team doesn't have a ton of needs like in the past few seasons. We won't have to deal with the "distractions" of big money free agents coming in and disrupting the team harmony.
Maybe we'll be able to sign one or two mid tier guys to add depth or push a starter.
It gives all our second year guys more hope to make a contribution and this years draft class a better chance of making the team.. In any event, we just have to accept it --I just don't think the consequences are necessairly ALL BAD..
fred might not be back, Kory L might not be retained, DHall could be cut if he doesn't restructure, Jammal Brown is gone after june 1st, Fletcher and or Moss could be gone if they don't take a pay cut. That's what I get out of this

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
fred might not be back, Kory L might not be retained, DHall could be cut if he doesn't restructure, Jammal Brown is gone after june 1st, Fletcher and or Moss could be gone if they don't take a pay cut. That's what I get out of this

Technically speaking, Davis would not be a casualty since he would be a free agent. Now, losing him might hurt, but it won't affect our cap situation. Brown can also be nominated as a "June cut," wherein his contract would be treated as if he were cut in June but he'd be let go in February or March. Lichtensteiger probably could be kept since he's coming off the ankle injury as it will be hard to work out for other teams.

That all said, you could create contracts that move bonuses into year two for these guys so that they would fall after the $18M penalty goes away.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Technically speaking, Davis would not be a casualty since he would be a free agent. Now, losing him might hurt, but it won't affect our cap situation. Brown can also be nominated as a "June cut," wherein his contract would be treated as if he were cut in June but he'd be let go in February or March. Lichtensteiger probably could be kept since he's coming off the ankle injury as it will be hard to work out for other teams.

That all said, you could create contracts that move bonuses into year two for these guys so that they would fall after the $18M penalty goes away.
What about Josh Morgan? We signed him to a 2-year deal last year and his amount on the cap this year is $6.75 million. Potentially we could cut him but I don't think we will given his production last season. We could sign him to a more cap friendly long term deal.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

What about Josh Morgan? We signed him to a 2-year deal last year and his amount on the cap this year is $6.75 million. Potentially we could cut him but I don't think we will given his production last season. We could sign him to a more cap friendly long term deal.

Technically, he was signed to a 5 year deal, with the last three years automatically voiding (solely to handle the signing bonus amortization). I don't know if you can change the contract to extend years back over top of voided years. I suppose you could, but it's unclear what would happen to the money that was supposed to be amortized.
Slateman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salary cap is the one thing I never worry about on this team. Snyder massages it and works out deals that get around it.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

cool. Thanks woz. That makes perfect sense

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Salary cap is the one thing I never worry about on this team. Snyder massages it and works out deals that get around it.
you mean Cerrato or Bruce Allen and the contract negotiating lawyers right? Snyder does not write or re-write contracts

Slateman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:
you mean Cerrato or Bruce Allen and the contract negotiating lawyers right? Snyder does not write or re-write contracts

He hires the people that do the cap magic. It's never been a problem for this team. It won't be this time around either. By free agency, the Skins will be like 10 mil under.
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time the Redskins restructure DeAngelo Hall, release/cut Jamaal Brown, restructure Moss(or cut/retire), we will be close 10-12 million under.

I project TE Fred Davis to not get the monster deal, he probably would have got..had he stayed healthy, plus the suspension incident added to that in negotiations. I would imagine we get a good deal on him & his 1st yr will and should be very cap friendly.
(Remember...he's coming off a Franchise Tag that was counting a lot for 1 season)

I believe by the time March 1st or whenever FA begin, when FA signings and trades can happen...?We will probably be at least 15 Million under the cap. (that's with & including the 18 M cap penalty we have)

No team handles and manages the cap better, than the Washington Redskins.
No opinion...just a simple fact.

We're basically being punished 36M, because we took advantage of a loophole that was there an completely legal in dumping guaranteed money in a non-capped season. (mainly Albert Haynesworth)

The NFL was embarrassed because of it (as they agreed to these moves the Redskins made and allowed it)

It made the other NFL owners look so foolish, that they agreed to colluding against us & the Cowboys. (didn't take much effort on their part with John Mara calling the shots, either)

Fact is my fellow Redskins fans, the Redskins capologist's are the best in the business.

How many times have all heard..."Yea, but you will be in cap hell"
only to never see it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember we get that $18M cap space back in 2014. So as Woz said, we can simply push some of the money into that year. This can get done fellas. All is not lost.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:
By the time the Redskins restructure DeAngelo Hall, release/cut Jamaal Brown, restructure Moss(or cut/retire), we will be close 10-12 million under.

I project TE Fred Davis to not get the monster deal, he probably would have got..had he stayed healthy, plus the suspension incident added to that in negotiations. I would imagine we get a good deal on him & his 1st yr will and should be very cap friendly.
(Remember...he's coming off a Franchise Tag that was counting a lot for 1 season)

I believe by the time March 1st or whenever FA begin, when FA signings and trades can happen...?We will probably be at least 15 Million under the cap. (that's with & including the 18 M cap penalty we have)

No team handles and manages the cap better, than the Washington Redskins.
No opinion...just a simple fact.

We're basically being punished 36M, because we took advantage of a loophole that was there an completely legal in dumping guaranteed money in a non-capped season. (mainly Albert Haynesworth)

The NFL was embarrassed because of it (as they agreed to these moves the Redskins made and allowed it)

It made the other NFL owners look so foolish, that they agreed to colluding against us & the Cowboys. (didn't take much effort on their part with John Mara calling the shots, either)

Fact is my fellow Redskins fans, the Redskins capologist's are the best in the business.

How many times have all heard..."Yea, but you will be in cap hell"
only to never see it?

Actually we were in cap hell. We ended up keeping guys on our roster that should've been cut simply because we had resturctured their contracts so much that we simply could not afford, cap-wise, to cut them.

So, yes. We were in cap hell. We are not now. If we restructure, we need to do it smartly and push just enough money into 2014 to get us through this year. We do not need another situation where we have a Randy Thomas who has a neck injury and cannot play, be on the roster for an entire year (taking up cap space) simply because he was too expensive to cut. Or with Portis getting so much guaranteed money that he would've been gone a year or two beforehand, but couldn't because of the guaranteed money.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

He hires the people that do the cap magic. It's never been a problem for this team. It won't be this time around either. By free agency, the Skins will be like 10 mil under.
it was a problem up until Bruce Allen was hired Slateman. We constantly restructured deals when Cerrato was in charge of the contracts. What we are going through this year we went through at a much more frequent scale during last decade. That's why we had to keep vets longer than we should have

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: