Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mayhew suggests major roster overhaul
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lions on top

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Mayhew suggests major roster overhaul Reply with quote

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/01/detroit_lions_gm_martin_mayhew_17.html
Quote:
Yeah, I think there is a possibility there (to extremely revamp the roster)," Mayhew said. "I think one of the reasons we wanted to get everybody back (last season) is because we were coming off a season where we had some success. Obviously, coming off this season, we want to look at everything that we're doing.

"Like I said, from a front office standpoint, a coaching standpoint and a players standpoint. Obviously, we're not doing well enough, and you should expect to see some changes on our roster."

Also once again suggested Suh was the only player to improve on defense, which I don't feel is quite true, I'd say Houston and Fairley and possibly Tully, though he kind of "flatlined" I suppose, but nevertheless:
Quote:
"I certainly thought we were going to get some better performances. If you look at our defense, who on our defense played better than they did last year? Probably Ndamukong. Of the 10 starters that we brought back, probably Ndamukong is the only guy that played noticeably better. Some guys flatlined, and some guys were injured and didn't play or didn't play as well.

Also:
Quote:
"It's not about money, it's about performance," Mayhew said. "Guys that performed well this season, that played well, those guys are in different situations than guys that didn't perform well. When you win four games, you're looking for your underperformers. That's really what it's about.

"We've got to get better, obviously. We're the fourth-best team in a four team division. We didn't beat anybody in the division the whole season, so clearly, we're not good enough, and we've got to make some changes."

It's nice to see him address this because it does seem our management is too stubborn to realize their own faults at times but we'll see if he actually follows through with this. Though he said it wasn't about the money I think it means some obvious choices like KVB and not resigning Avril will be made.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it comes down to money. Dom's contract is horrible along with Avril,KVB,Nate, actually alot lol. being bad is one thing paying out your butt to be bad is another.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was no brainer major overhaul coming. So many expiring contracts.

Mayhew continues to underwhelm with his obvious statements and poor management

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Lionsfanforever

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He gets one chance to fix HIS mess.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:

Yeah, for a normal GM I'd say it was a no-brainer. But considering our management doesn't seem to take accountability I'm glad he is actually acknowledging it. He gave full control over to Schwartz for his coaching staff and what does he do after going 4-12? Fire absolutely nobody, coaches had to leave him to get changes. Last year it was pretty obvious our team was over-performing and getting luck we aren't usually accustomed to and Mayhew decides to retain the same exact team and go BPA in the draft ignoring obvious glaring needs. I'm just happy to see our GM is actually realizing the "no-brainer" situation for once, but as I said we'll see what actually occurs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lions on top wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Yeah, for a normal GM I'd say it was a no-brainer. But considering our management doesn't seem to take accountability I'm glad he is actually acknowledging it. He gave full control over to Schwartz for his coaching staff and what does he do after going 4-12? Fire absolutely nobody, coaches had to leave him to get changes. Last year it was pretty obvious our team was over-performing and getting luck we aren't usually accustomed to and Mayhew decides to retain the same exact team and go BPA in the draft ignoring obvious glaring needs. I'm just happy to see our GM is actually realizing the "no-brainer" situation for once, but as I said we'll see what actually occurs.

It will occur because of the money thus a no brainer. They cant afford to bring everyone back.

Then Mayhew will get praised as a genius when in reality he is simply doing what every other GM would HAVE TO given money

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's not like he's gonna have much of a choice. With the cap situation there has to be an overhaul.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
Yeah it's not like he's gonna have much of a choice. With the cap situation there has to be an overhaul.

Problem is now he is getting this out there to make it seem like he is making the choice to make the change.

Fact is his hand is forced.

Now when change happens he can say look guys we went 4-12 and I fixed the roster. In reality was we went 4-12 and the salary cap and bad contracts made us fix the roster

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't believe these are new comments anyways. Pretty sure he put this out there at the post season presser he had a while back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

Problem is now he is getting this out there to make it seem like he is making the choice to make the change.

Now when change happens he can say look guys we went 4-12 and I fixed the roster. In reality was we went 4-12 and the salary cap and bad contracts made us fix the roster

Really if he can restructure Suh, Stafford and releases obvious choices like KVB, Dom, Nate and Backus retires he would probably have enough to bring back most of our FAs. Our cap is bad now, but I don't think it will that awful come March.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORLY!?!?!?
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

Given the rough circumstances with the cap, if he can manage to improve our team wouldn't that be more to his credit?

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

Given the rough circumstances with the cap, if he can manage to improve our team wouldn't that be more to his credit?

I am not debating that. I am saying this isnt exactly his idea to overturn roster.

He has ZERO choice but to actually do it

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

I am not debating that. I am saying this isnt exactly his idea to overturn roster.

Well not necessarily, like lions on top said if we can manage to restructure some of these contracts and get rid of some of the bad contracts then we will have space to move. Nonetheless, I think you're being too rough on Mayhew. Part of talking to the media is stating the obvious

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

Well not necessarily, like lions on top said if we can manage to restructure some of these contracts and get rid of some of the bad contracts then we will have space to move. Nonetheless, I think you're being too rough on Mayhew. Part of talking to the media is stating the obvious

Too rough on him?

He hasnt done jack and somehow everyone thinks he is good.

Outside of the safe picks in round 1 (minus Best which was Schwartz) what has Mayhew really done?

Jack

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: