Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mayhew suggests major roster overhaul
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:
Yeah it's not like he's gonna have much of a choice. With the cap situation there has to be an overhaul.

Problem is now he is getting this out there to make it seem like he is making the choice to make the change.

Fact is his hand is forced.

Now when change happens he can say look guys we went 4-12 and I fixed the roster. In reality was we went 4-12 and the salary cap and bad contracts made us fix the roster

Given the rough circumstances with the cap, if he can manage to improve our team wouldn't that be more to his credit?

I am not debating that. I am saying this isnt exactly his idea to overturn roster.

He has ZERO choice but to actually do it

Well not necessarily, like lions on top said if we can manage to restructure some of these contracts and get rid of some of the bad contracts then we will have space to move. Nonetheless, I think you're being too rough on Mayhew. Part of talking to the media is stating the obvious

Too rough on him?

He hasnt done jack and somehow everyone thinks he is good.

Outside of the safe picks in round 1 (minus Best which was Schwartz) what has Mayhew really done?

Jack

Our roster has more talent on the team then I have witnessed in my lifetime (I'm 22)

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:
Yeah it's not like he's gonna have much of a choice. With the cap situation there has to be an overhaul.

Problem is now he is getting this out there to make it seem like he is making the choice to make the change.

Now when change happens he can say look guys we went 4-12 and I fixed the roster. In reality was we went 4-12 and the salary cap and bad contracts made us fix the roster

Given the rough circumstances with the cap, if he can manage to impurove our team wouldn't that be more to his credit?

I am not debating that. I am saying this isnt exactly his idea to overturn roster.

Well not necessarily, like lions on top said if we can manage to restructure some of these contracts and get rid of some of the bad contracts then we will have space to move. Nonetheless, I think you're being too rough on Mayhew. Part of talking to the media is stating the obvious

Too rough on him?

Outside of the safe picks in round 1 (minus Best which was Schwartz) what has Mayhew really done?

Jack

Our roster has more talent on the team then I have witnessed in my lifetime (I'm 22)

Not even close if u are saying in past 22 years

This does not mean he has done anything

What has he done?

There are no real contributors past round 1

Couple veteran FA but not much else

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
lions on top

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

Given the rough circumstances with the cap, if he can manage to impurove our team wouldn't that be more to his credit?

Too rough on him?

Jack

What has he done?

Taking a 0-16 team to 10-6 with an astounding about of roster turnover is worth something. As I said in the original post we definitely got lucky last year but he's assembled a talented team.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lions on top wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

Too rough on him?

Jack

What has he done?

Taking a 0-16 team to 10-6 with an astounding about of roster turnover is worth something. As I said in the original post we definitely got lucky last year but he's assembled a talented team.

You keep saying that but actually have not shown it

Sorry I don't see it at all.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
lions on top wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

Too rough on him?

Jack

What has he done?

take off the goggles, then

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
Rockcity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with detfan. your argument is we went 10-6 on a strike shortened year? Mayhew is a turd. this thing will go no where with him in charge. Maybe some of u will see it after another terrible off season..
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
lions on top wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

Too rough on him?

Jack

What has he done?

take off the goggles, then

Googles is saying this is most talented team in 22 years. Lol

Name one good player he has taken after round 1?

There are none. Avg at best.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the top performers were;

QB - Stafford/Hill
WR - Johnson/Broyles
RB - LeShoure/Bell
TE -
LT - Backus/Reiff
LG - Sims
C -
RG -
RT - Cherilus
PR/KR -

DE -
DT - Suh/Failey/Hill/Williams
OLB -
MLB - Tulloch/Palmer
CB - Houston/Green
FS -
K - Hanson
P -
LS - Muhlbach

I think the other positions lacked performers and should be replaced. Need right side O-Line, WR, RB, TE, PR/KR, DE x 2, OLB x 2, FS x 2, #1 CB, Punter.
WillParks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should we be interested in bringing back most of the free agents from a team that went 4 and 12? We do have some core pieces in CJ, Suh, Tulloch, Reiff and (assuming we can re-sign him) Houston. We have some other players that are important role players: Bell, Fairley (needs to dominate for a full season) Scheffler, Heller, Jonte Green and Justin Durant. Everyone else should be fighting for a roster spot.

If you want to talk about accountability with players then why haven't we taken a harder line with Brandon Pettigrew. His hands are slowly getting worse. His ball security mistakes were ridiculous. His blocking is good but not dominating. If you want to take some accountability then start by finding a replacement for Pettigrew.

Titus Young doesn't even warrant a conversation. Everyone knows he needs to go.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:

Jack

Traded late picks for a bunch of starters, found quality contributors throughout the draft, and pieced together a roster that showed substantial improvement.

He either deserves credit for acquiring the talent that sparked the turnaround, or hiring the staff that coached for the turnaround. Either way, he has done FAR more than "jack".

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
If you want to talk about accountability with players then why haven't we taken a harder line with Brandon Pettigrew. His hands are slowly getting worse. His ball security mistakes were ridiculous. His blocking is good but not dominating. If you want to take some accountability then start by finding a replacement for Pettigrew.

Based on your reasoning here, Pettigrew doesn't need to "go"... he just needs to be better utilized. Keep Pettigrew in as a blocker and give Scheffler his receiving snaps. (Which, really, should be the direction anyway.)

Stafford just seems to love throwing his way, and I don't blame him: the size mismatch is intriguing. The mistakes are getting increasingly harder to forgive.

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Jack

Traded late picks for a bunch of starters, found quality contributors throughout the draft, and pieced together a roster that showed substantial improvement.

He either deserves credit for acquiring the talent that sparked the turnaround, or hiring the staff that coached for the turnaround. Either way, he has done FAR more than "jack".

A 4 win team. Bravo Millhew

Sorry I am not drinking the koolaide. It tastes like crap.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Jack

Wait. Lets see if I'm getting this:

You're arguing that, based on the record of the 2012 season, Mayhew as clearly "not done jack". It's interesting, because Mayhew was also the GM prior to the 2011 season, and the team won 10 games - and made the playoffs. How can Mayhew have "not done jack" when, using your standard, he clearly "did jack" just the year prior?

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Jack

You're arguing that, based on the record of the 2012 season, Mayhew as clearly "not done jack". It's interesting, because Mayhew was also the GM prior to the 2011 season, and the team won 10 games - and made the playoffs. How can Mayhew have "not donee jack" when, using your standard, he clearly "did jack" just the year prior?

Overachieving? 4 comeback wins?

Outside his round 1 safe picks he is Millen Jr.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Jack

You're arguing that, based on the record of the 2012 season, Mayhew as clearly "not done jack". It's interesting, because Mayhew was also the GM prior to the 2011 season, and the team won 10 games - and made the playoffs. How can Mayhew have "not donee jack" when, using your standard, he clearly "did jack" just the year prior?

Overachieving? 4 comeback wins?

Outside his round 1 safe picks he is Millen Jr.

Do the several games we lost this year due to the other team making a comeback not count too? Or is it just when we win due to a comeback?

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: