Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mayhew suggests major roster overhaul
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahoda wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
ahoda wrote:
DetFan, you are too negative lately man. I think you need to take a few days off from the site and relax.

Or you take a few days off so you don't see it or ignore it. It's my right to be critical of this pathetic regime

I take plenty of days off, and when I come back, it's the same thing. You being all pissy and bent out of shape. I hope you have a life outside of the Lions because you're way too upset and bitter over a game.

Thanks for your concern. Noted. Moving on

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, he traded some late picks for good starters (Rob Sims, Chris Houston), which for a team in our position (completely deprived of talent) was better than using those picks to take guys that would likely turn into nothing. Sims and Houston are both very, very solid.

Scheffler was also a great trade. He is a fantastic asset as a receiving TE.

And, lets not forget about good signings in Tulloch and Burleson (while he was healthy).
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SadLionFan00 wrote:
Also, he traded some late picks for good starters (Rob Sims, Chris Houston), which for a team in our position (completely deprived of talent) was better than using those picks to take guys that would likely turn into nothing. Sims and Houston are both very, very solid.

And, lets not forget about good signings in Tulloch and Burleson (while he was healthy).

Factoring all that in you have accounted for about 20% of the roster

He negative far outweighs the positive. It is what it is. Sorry I do not go to bed starring at a Fathead poster of Mayhew.

He need to show results this year or get out of town.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
SadLionFan00 wrote:

Factoring all that in you have accounted for about 20% of the roster

He negative far outweighs the positive. It is what it is. Sorry I do not go to bed starring at a Fathead poster of Mayhew.

He need to show results this year or get out of town.

Well, he showed results in 2011, yes?

Which was the fluke year, this or last? Largely the same team, that made the playoffs. One team won tons of close games, the other lost tons of close games.

I mean, yeah, our roster has holes, but I think we have lots of talent. Lets take a look at the team that went to the playoffs vs. the team that has a top 5 pick, and compare them.

2011:
QB: Stafford Huge year. Showed he could be elite
RB: Revolving door, had no running game.
WR: CJ, Burleson, that was about it, other than the occasional Young contribution.
TE: Paddlehands and Scheffler, both very solid.
LT: Backus, had a great year
LG: Sims, very solid
C: Raiola, not much push in the run, but decent.
RG: Peterman, mediocre at best
RT: Cherilus, good pass blocker, not a lot of push in the run game

DE: KVB and Avril, both had great years
DT: Suh, C-Will, SLH all played very well. Suh was elite, as usual.
LB: Tulloch, Levy, and Durant were all solid, and the backups helped for injuries and played well.
CB: Houston was a good #1, Eric Wright was great in nickel. Revolving door at the other CB spot.
S: Delmas was in and out, but good when in, Spievay was a liability.

Stafford: Inconsistent. Regressed.
RB: LeShoure and Bell were pretty good at times, but abandoned a lot.
WR: CJ was the only one to play the whole year. Lots of injuries as well as Titus Young happening.
TE: Pretty much the same as 2011, saw less Scheffler.
LT: Backus, great again
LG: Sims, solid again
C: Raiola, a little worse than last year
RG: Peterman, got worse
RT: Cherilus, got better, still penalized.

DE: KVB proved to be done, Avril underperformed, LoJack and Young didnt have near the impact of last year
DT: Suh got better, Fairley made a big impact, SLH was his usual steady self. Didnt see much C-Will
LB: Pretty much the same as last year
CB: Houston was solid again, but the other starter was a revolving door again and we had no good nickel CB either
S: Revolving door again thanks to Delmas' injury and Spievay getting worse.

Clearly the plan for Mayhew last offseason was to build upon the team that won so many games in 2011 and use the draft to help more towards the future and long-term success (hence why he picked guys like Reiff who didnt start and Broyles who didnt fill a big need). The only starter he lost was Eric Wright, and that hurt, a lot.

But the big problem last year was that most of our players either got hurt or got worse. How much can we really blame for the GM on that one? He wanted there to be continuity on the team in hopes that it would build off of a very good 2011 year. That didnt happen, and now I think we are going to see big changes much like we saw in Mayhew's first couple of offseasons that got us to the playoffs in the first place.

Though it will be much more difficult this time around, because he is more handcuffed by the cap than previously.
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: