Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Players who made a mistake and asked for a realease
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Vanilla_Ice


Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Posts: 104
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Players who made a mistake and asked for a realease Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this one for a while. What NFL players out there have asked for a release because they thought they were better than what they were and it ended up not working out?


- A recent one is Kellen Winslow. The Seahawks were going to sign him for a reduced salary and he said no. So the Pats sign him and he asks for a release directly after signing, probably because he thought there was a market for him. How silly does he feel when both Gronk and Hernandez got hurt?

- Chris Cooley is another one. Dude wanted released because Fred Davis was named the starter. No one wants him and he comes back only after injuries and has zero chemistry with RGIII and is lucky to be catching a paycheck.

- I think the ultimate one was Jeff Garcia. The Raiders wanted to give Jamarcus Russel another shot to start and Garcia wanted to be the starter immediately. No one wanted Garcia and he signs with the Eagles for 1 game that year as a backup. Russel meanwhile was benched like 3 or 4 weeks into the season and his career was over. I think Garcia could have played there a year or two and done fairly well. He would have atleast extended his career. He ended up in the UFL begging the NFL for another shot that basically never happened. The Texans signed him at the end of the 2012 season but he was never activated.

- Oh, lets not forget my main main Tiki Barber. The moron retires from football to "pursue" other interests in life like Journalism. Knocks up a young intern, gets divorced and fired from million dollar a year job with NBC for it, goes broke, we win a superbowl, and he tries to make a comeback as a mid 30's runningback. His situation is alittle different because he retired, but wow did he overvalue his worth and think he was superman. Now he's on CBS radio probably making 60k a year if he's lucky.


In reality, NFL players should realize how lucky they are to be getting a paycheck. Pacman Jones is forever grateful to the Bengals for the 2nd chance and now speaks to rookies every year about the opportunities that are so fleeting. I can't believe how arrogant some of these guys are.

Any other stories out there anyone can remember?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OneBadCat


Joined: 24 Aug 2012
Posts: 726
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mushin Muhammad.

He left the Panthers at the peak of his prime and left for Chicago where receivers go to die. He was never the same player he was in Carolina. Had he stayed the Panthers would have never had to replace him and Steve Smith would have had a competent #2 WR.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lavar703


Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Posts: 5821
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know Cooley never asked for his release and was always open to the idea of coming back a Redskin. Local media reported he had offers with other teams but just had no interest in going anywhere else...
_________________
RIP Sean Taylor "Forever a Redskin"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vanilla_Ice


Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Posts: 104
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
As far as I know Cooley never asked for his release and was always open to the idea of coming back a Redskin. Local media reported he had offers with other teams but just had no interest in going anywhere else...


Shanahan said in a press conference Cooley asked to be released to start somewhere else and he honored his request.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shorty McFast


Joined: 27 Apr 2011
Posts: 759
Location: At the desk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryant McKinnie said "just release me" many times during his stay with the Vikings. They finally got tired of it and did. He's bankrupt BUT he's now playing for a Superbowl. You could call it either way I guess. Career success but not financial success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dotmotion


Joined: 20 May 2008
Posts: 12106
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read on New York Times that Tiki Barber has this website where he books out athletes for corporate events and it just got over 3m in investments... His journalism career isn't going as well but if this venture turns out, maybe he has other avenues to pursue.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brian23


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 7155
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanilla_Ice wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
As far as I know Cooley never asked for his release and was always open to the idea of coming back a Redskin. Local media reported he had offers with other teams but just had no interest in going anywhere else...


Shanahan said in a press conference Cooley asked to be released to start somewhere else and he honored his request.


Can't believe his words.

It was that he believed he could be a starter but they had no intention of him being that. They released him because A. He didn't fit with the 3 guys we were taking and B. They were trying to be nice to him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pugger


Joined: 01 May 2010
Posts: 9081
Location: N. Fort Myers, FL
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a player who pretended to retire? Wink Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38168
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

- Sage Rosenfels requested a trade; He was moved to the Vikings to compete with Tavaris Jackson for the starting job. Soon after the trade, Brett Favre decided to take his talents to St. Paul, so the end result was just as it was in Houston; Only instead of backing up the oft-injured Matt Schaub, he was backing up the NFL All Time leader in consecutive starts. Yeah. Way to think that through, Rosencopter. Laughing

- Not necessarily a trade/release, but TE Joel Dreessen went from the Texans primary RZ option to Denver's #5 option this past season. Granted, the money was nearly the same and Denver is where Joel D is from...but he could have been the key guy in the Texans O this past season, a season where the Texans had a dire need for a RZ offense.
_________________


vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Slateman


Joined: 13 Nov 2006
Posts: 7409
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Players who made a mistake and asked for a realease Reply with quote

Vanilla_Ice wrote:
- Chris Cooley is another one. Dude wanted released because Fred Davis was named the starter. No one wants him and he comes back only after injuries and has zero chemistry with RGIII and is lucky to be catching a paycheck.


Cooley was released due to salary cap issues. He had no "chemistry" because Shanahan gave all the reps to Niles Paul and Fred Davis. It was obvious his knee had inhibited his ability to run and be part of the passing game, however he is still an excellent blocker.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vanilla_Ice


Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Posts: 104
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Players who made a mistake and asked for a realease Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
- Chris Cooley is another one. Dude wanted released because Fred Davis was named the starter. No one wants him and he comes back only after injuries and has zero chemistry with RGIII and is lucky to be catching a paycheck.


Cooley was released due to salary cap issues. He had no "chemistry" because Shanahan gave all the reps to Niles Paul and Fred Davis. It was obvious his knee had inhibited his ability to run and be part of the passing game, however he is still an excellent blocker.



Just going by what the head coach said in the press conference. He said Cooley requested to be released, whether or not he's a liar I don't know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vanilla_Ice


Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Posts: 104
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotmotion wrote:
Read on New York Times that Tiki Barber has this website where he books out athletes for corporate events and it just got over 3m in investments... His journalism career isn't going as well but if this venture turns out, maybe he has other avenues to pursue.



Wow, well hopefully that works out because he's sure messed up a lot of other opportunities in life.


3M in investments, but I wonder how successful he's been with it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vanilla_Ice


Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Posts: 104
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Hmm...

- Sage Rosenfels requested a trade; He was moved to the Vikings to compete with Tavaris Jackson for the starting job. Soon after the trade, Brett Favre decided to take his talents to St. Paul, so the end result was just as it was in Houston; Only instead of backing up the oft-injured Matt Schaub, he was backing up the NFL All Time leader in consecutive starts. Yeah. Way to think that through, Rosencopter. Laughing


I remember that and thought he may have a shot of starting -- is he out of the league now?

Quote:
- Not necessarily a trade/release, but TE Joel Dreessen went from the Texans primary RZ option to Denver's #5 option this past season. Granted, the money was nearly the same and Denver is where Joel D is from...but he could have been the key guy in the Texans O this past season, a season where the Texans had a dire need for a RZ offense.


Yeah, and can you imagine if Tebow was still there? Joel D may have been cut. It did seem like Manning liked throwing him the ball -- he got a lot more looks than I expected, and of course he because yet again a vulture for receptions and TD's from everyone else on his team.

Shorty McFast wrote:
Bryant McKinnie said "just release me" many times during his stay with the Vikings. They finally got tired of it and did. He's bankrupt BUT he's now playing for a Superbowl. You could call it either way I guess. Career success but not financial success.


Why did he want out of Min so bad? [/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38168
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanilla_Ice wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Hmm...

- Sage Rosenfels requested a trade; He was moved to the Vikings to compete with Tavaris Jackson for the starting job. Soon after the trade, Brett Favre decided to take his talents to St. Paul, so the end result was just as it was in Houston; Only instead of backing up the oft-injured Matt Schaub, he was backing up the NFL All Time leader in consecutive starts. Yeah. Way to think that through, Rosencopter. Laughing


I remember that and thought he may have a shot of starting -- is he out of the league now?


Backup in...Miami, maybe? I forget.
_________________


vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Vanilla_Ice


Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Posts: 104
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Hmm...

- Sage Rosenfels requested a trade; He was moved to the Vikings to compete with Tavaris Jackson for the starting job. Soon after the trade, Brett Favre decided to take his talents to St. Paul, so the end result was just as it was in Houston; Only instead of backing up the oft-injured Matt Schaub, he was backing up the NFL All Time leader in consecutive starts. Yeah. Way to think that through, Rosencopter. Laughing


I remember that and thought he may have a shot of starting -- is he out of the league now?


Backup in...Miami, maybe? I forget.



I just checked -- he was cut during last rounds of cuts for the Vikings this year. Looks like he's done in the NFL. Maybe he'll get some radio work somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group