Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions hire Brian Xanders
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 50233
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Well, here is my opinion on the matter.

When you consider he started with a minor league roster, Mayhew's overall record is actually right on par with what one might expect.

However, as I nitpick how things are run more and more, I feel not only is it easier to turn over a horrible team into an average team, but I just don't feel the current staff is the right one to take us to the next level. Which would be perennial playoff contenders.

That is not to say they were not the right staff to take us from horrible to mediocre, they very well might have been. But I just don't see those aggressive moves to sure up glaring weaknesses that will have to be addressed to take us to that next step. making a .500 club is great from


where we were, but it just isn't where I would like this team to stay.



I would agree if he got it to a .500 club but he hasn't

Considering the parity of the league, a team that is 10 wins, then 4 wins, and how close how many of the games have been, yes I would consider this a .500 club. Which is always give or take a win or 2 because of that parity, but hovers in that area. I 100% believe that is what we are.



So dismissing his first years because?

Sorry those count regardless.

Well, I am judging him based on what he built, not what he inherited. That would just be......silly.




His first season he brought guys in. That record is his. Also considering he was on the staff previous he is at fault still

If you think that is fair to blame Mayhew for what Millen did - the most infamous GM in history for not listening to anyone - then that is your prerogative. I feel it is incredibly unfair. The actions of a "hater"



A hater? Sorry he didn't just inherit this problem. He was part of it and got promoted.

Obsolving him of any blame from previous regime is dumb.
_________________


AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FootballPhreak


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 35446
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Well, here is my opinion on the matter.

When you consider he started with a minor league roster, Mayhew's overall record is actually right on par with what one might expect.

However, as I nitpick how things are run more and more, I feel not only is it easier to turn over a horrible team into an average team, but I just don't feel the current staff is the right one to take us to the next level. Which would be perennial playoff contenders.

That is not to say they were not the right staff to take us from horrible to mediocre, they very well might have been. But I just don't see those aggressive moves to sure up glaring weaknesses that will have to be addressed to take us to that next step. making a .500 club is great from


where we were, but it just isn't where I would like this team to stay.



I would agree if he got it to a .500 club but he hasn't

Considering the parity of the league, a team that is 10 wins, then 4 wins, and how close how many of the games have been, yes I would consider this a .500 club. Which is always give or take a win or 2 because of that parity, but hovers in that area. I 100% believe that is what we are.



So dismissing his first years because?

Sorry those count regardless.

Well, I am judging him based on what he built, not what he inherited. That would just be......silly.




His first season he brought guys in. That record is his. Also considering he was on the staff previous he is at fault still

If you think that is fair to blame Mayhew for what Millen did - the most infamous GM in history for not listening to anyone - then that is your prerogative. I feel it is incredibly unfair. The actions of a "hater"



A hater? Sorry he didn't just inherit this problem. He was part of it and got promoted.

Obsolving him of any blame from previous regime is dumb.

You are entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is blaming someone for actions they had no control over is dumb.
_________________
Draft_FanAddict wrote:
If that doesn't concern you, I don't know what would...a missing head?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 50233
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Well, here is my opinion on the matter.

When you consider he started with a minor league roster, Mayhew's overall record is actually right on par with what one might expect.

However, as I nitpick how things are run more and more, I feel not only is it easier to turn over a horrible team into an average team, but I just don't feel the current staff is the right one to take us to the next level. Which would be perennial playoff contenders.

That is not to say they were not the right staff to take us from horrible to mediocre, they very well might have been. But I just don't see those aggressive moves to sure up glaring weaknesses that will have to be addressed to take us to that next step. making a .500 club is great from


where we were, but it just isn't where I would like this team to stay.



I would agree if he got it to a .500 club but he hasn't

Considering the parity of the league, a team that is 10 wins, then 4 wins, and how close how many of the games have been, yes I would consider this a .500 club. Which is always give or take a win or 2 because of that parity, but hovers in that area. I 100% believe that is what we are.



So dismissing his first years because?

Sorry those count regardless.

Well, I am judging him based on what he built, not what he inherited. That would just be......silly.




His first season he brought guys in. That record is his. Also considering he was on the staff previous he is at fault still

If you think that is fair to blame Mayhew for what Millen did - the most infamous GM in history for not listening to anyone - then that is your prerogative. I feel it is incredibly unfair. The actions of a "hater"



A hater? Sorry he didn't just inherit this problem. He was part of it and got promoted.

Obsolving him of any blame from previous regime is dumb.

You are entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is blaming someone for actions they had no control over is dumb.


He was one of main COGS in the decisions made. The team he was left was rewards from his efforts as part of that regime.

He does not get off the hook simply because Millen left.
_________________


AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8606
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Well, here is my opinion on the matter.

When you consider he started with a minor league roster, Mayhew's overall record is actually right on par with what one might expect.

However, as I nitpick how things are run more and more, I feel not only is it easier to turn over a horrible team into an average team, but I just don't feel the current staff is the right one to take us to the next level. Which would be perennial playoff contenders.

That is not to say they were not the right staff to take us from horrible to mediocre, they very well might have been. But I just don't see those aggressive moves to sure up glaring weaknesses that will have to be addressed to take us to that next step. making a .500 club is great from


where we were, but it just isn't where I would like this team to stay.



I would agree if he got it to a .500 club but he hasn't

Considering the parity of the league, a team that is 10 wins, then 4 wins, and how close how many of the games have been, yes I would consider this a .500 club. Which is always give or take a win or 2 because of that parity, but hovers in that area. I 100% believe that is what we are.



So dismissing his first years because?

Sorry those count regardless.

Well, I am judging him based on what he built, not what he inherited. That would just be......silly.




His first season he brought guys in. That record is his. Also considering he was on the staff previous he is at fault still

If you think that is fair to blame Mayhew for what Millen did - the most infamous GM in history for not listening to anyone - then that is your prerogative. I feel it is incredibly unfair. The actions of a "hater"



A hater? Sorry he didn't just inherit this problem. He was part of it and got promoted.

Obsolving him of any blame from previous regime is dumb.

You are entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is blaming someone for actions they had no control over is dumb.


He was one of main COGS in the decisions made. The team he was left was rewards from his efforts as part of that regime.

He does not get off the hook simply because Millen left.


Pretty much every report I've ever seen said Millen didn't listen to those around him. What makes you think all those reports are wrong?
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 50233
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Well, here is my opinion on the matter.

When you consider he started with a minor league roster, Mayhew's overall record is actually right on par with what one might expect.

However, as I nitpick how things are run more and more, I feel not only is it easier to turn over a horrible team into an average team, but I just don't feel the current staff is the right one to take us to the next level. Which would be perennial playoff contenders.

That is not to say they were not the right staff to take us from horrible to mediocre, they very well might have been. But I just don't see those aggressive moves to sure up glaring weaknesses that will have to be addressed to take us to that next step. making a .500 club is great from


where we were, but it just isn't where I would like this team to stay.



I would agree if he got it to a .500 club but he hasn't

Considering the parity of the league, a team that is 10 wins, then 4 wins, and how close how many of the games have been, yes I would consider this a .500 club. Which is always give or take a win or 2 because of that parity, but hovers in that area. I 100% believe that is what we are.



So dismissing his first years because?

Sorry those count regardless.

Well, I am judging him based on what he built, not what he inherited. That would just be......silly.




His first season he brought guys in. That record is his. Also considering he was on the staff previous he is at fault still

If you think that is fair to blame Mayhew for what Millen did - the most infamous GM in history for not listening to anyone - then that is your prerogative. I feel it is incredibly unfair. The actions of a "hater"



A hater? Sorry he didn't just inherit this problem. He was part of it and got promoted.

Obsolving him of any blame from previous regime is dumb.

You are entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is blaming someone for actions they had no control over is dumb.


He was one of main COGS in the decisions made. The team he was left was rewards from his efforts as part of that regime.

He does not get off the hook simply because Millen left.


Pretty much every report I've ever seen said Millen didn't listen to those around him. What makes you think all those reports are wrong?


Nobody has yet to provide a link that suggests this. Everyone keeps spouting this and no proof.

Show it?

Til then it is hearsay. Show it and I will cut him some slack but he still has done a crappy job regardless and is not a .500 GM.
_________________


AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8606
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:

Nobody has yet to provide a link that suggests this. Everyone keeps spouting this and no proof.

Show it?

Til then it is hearsay. Show it and I will cut him some slack but he still has done a crappy job regardless and is not a .500 GM.


Two seconds in google and I found one article, wasn't hard to dig up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/21/steve-mariucci-lions-just-needed-to-listen-to-their-scouts/
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 50233
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://jimlightsfootballblog.wordpress.com/2012/12/19/why-the-detroit-lions-need-to-clean-house/

Quote:
Mayhew was hired by the Lions in 2001 to work in the front office. Since 2001 Mayhew has been an integral part of the worst talent evaluation front office operation pro football has ever seen.


Quote:
the third year of Mayhew’s four year tenure that has produced ten or more losses


Quote:
NFL is designed for parity and quick turnarounds. You only need to look at the Indianapolis Colts under first year GM Ryan Grigson to see that.

The Colts were the worst team in football last year, fired their head coach and lost the heart and soul of their franchise in Peyton Manning. Indianapolis and Grigson were looking for a new coach and had the number one pick, just like Mayhew’s situation when he took over the Lions. The Colts and Grigson hired Chuck Pagano, selected Andrew Luck and Grigson turned over the roster before this season with over forty new players.

_________________


AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 50233
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Nobody has yet to provide a link that suggests this. Everyone keeps spouting this and no proof.

Show it?

Til then it is hearsay. Show it and I will cut him some slack but he still has done a crappy job regardless and is not a .500 GM.


Two seconds in google and I found one article, wasn't hard to dig up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/21/steve-mariucci-lions-just-needed-to-listen-to-their-scouts/


So this article says good scouts yet Xanders hired to revamp the entire scouting process because it sucks.

Yea this article contradicts this whole thread.

Too awesome
_________________


AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8606
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Nobody has yet to provide a link that suggests this. Everyone keeps spouting this and no proof.

Show it?

Til then it is hearsay. Show it and I will cut him some slack but he still has done a crappy job regardless and is not a .500 GM.


Two seconds in google and I found one article, wasn't hard to dig up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/21/steve-mariucci-lions-just-needed-to-listen-to-their-scouts/


So this article says good scouts yet Xanders hired to revamp the entire scouting process because it sucks.

Yea this article contradicts this whole thread.

Too awesome


Way to miss the point. Millen didn't listen to the scouts, Mayhew does. Now you want to criticize Mayhew for trying to improve on the scouting process?

Your logic is once again flawless.
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 50233
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Nobody has yet to provide a link that suggests this. Everyone keeps spouting this and no proof.

Show it?

Til then it is hearsay. Show it and I will cut him some slack but he still has done a crappy job regardless and is not a .500 GM.


Two seconds in google and I found one article, wasn't hard to dig up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/21/steve-mariucci-lions-just-needed-to-listen-to-their-scouts/


So this article says good scouts yet Xanders hired to revamp the entire scouting process because it sucks.

Yea this article contradicts this whole thread.

Too awesome


Way to miss the point. Millen didn't listen to the scouts, Mayhew does. Now you want to criticize Mayhew for trying to improve on the scouting process?

Your logic is once again flawless.


How is this a good thing? He knew scouting was an issue for how long? It took him this long to try and fix the scouting.

This only further proves my freaking point
_________________


AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8606
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Nobody has yet to provide a link that suggests this. Everyone keeps spouting this and no proof.

Show it?

Til then it is hearsay. Show it and I will cut him some slack but he still has done a crappy job regardless and is not a .500 GM.


Two seconds in google and I found one article, wasn't hard to dig up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/21/steve-mariucci-lions-just-needed-to-listen-to-their-scouts/


So this article says good scouts yet Xanders hired to revamp the entire scouting process because it sucks.

Yea this article contradicts this whole thread.

Too awesome


Way to miss the point. Millen didn't listen to the scouts, Mayhew does. Now you want to criticize Mayhew for trying to improve on the scouting process?

Your logic is once again flawless.


How is this a good thing? He knew scouting was an issue for how long? It took him this long to try and fix the scouting.

This only further proves my freaking point


Several more successful teams than us use the same scouts that we used up until now, and yet you blame Mayhew for both using those scouts and trying to improve on the system that was in place. Wow. Trying to talk some sense into you is pointless, so go ahead and continue to let your hate blind you.
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FootballPhreak


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 35446
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All your article says is that Mayhew was in the front office when Millen did what he did. Every other article states that Millen did not listen to anyone else in the front office.

Mayhew is clearly not at fault for what Millen did, especially as his decisions since taking the reigns have been far different from Millen's.

Haters gon hate.
_________________
Draft_FanAddict wrote:
If that doesn't concern you, I don't know what would...a missing head?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 50233
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
All your article says is that Mayhew was in the front office when Millen did what he did. Every other article states that Millen did not listen to anyone else in the front office.

Mayhew is clearly not at fault for what Millen did, especially as his decisions since taking the reigns have been far different from Millen's.

Haters gon hate.



If me wanting change after 22 wins in 4 years is hater fine. That's f ing pathetic
_________________


AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8606
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
All your article says is that Mayhew was in the front office when Millen did what he did. Every other article states that Millen did not listen to anyone else in the front office.

Mayhew is clearly not at fault for what Millen did, especially as his decisions since taking the reigns have been far different from Millen's.

Haters gon hate.



If me wanting change after 22 wins in 4 years is hater fine. That's f ing pathetic


You can want that as hard as you want for all I care. My only problem is the way you argue for it, you make your opinions seem as they are facts and twist your argument into nearly impossible to comprehend gibberish.
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 50233
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
All your article says is that Mayhew was in the front office when Millen did what he did. Every other article states that Millen did not listen to anyone else in the front office.

Mayhew is clearly not at fault for what Millen did, especially as his decisions since taking the reigns have been far different from Millen's.

Haters gon hate.



If me wanting change after 22 wins in 4 years is hater fine. That's f ing pathetic


You can want that as hard as you want for all I care. My only problem is the way you argue for it, you make your opinions seem as they are facts and twist your argument into nearly impossible to comprehend gibberish.


No different then you!
_________________


AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group