Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How many new starters do you think we need?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play4Blood wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Play4Blood wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Play4Blood wrote:
New starters:

LG
RG
RT
TE
WR

RE
NT
DT (If Bryant walks)
MLB
SAM (If Wheeler walks)
LCB
RCB

An argument can also be made for QB, FB, and FS.

OUT!

Reece is a much better RB and H-Back than lead blocker. Give me a Jon Ritchie clone and let Reece play more RB and receiver.

But keeping Reece at FB allows us to have him and McFadden on the field at the same time almost every play. Thats bad news for the defense seeing as they typically dont have to worryabout a FB. In essence, it gives us an extra target/runner. On any given play, the defense has to wonder if it is a hand off to McFadden, a hand off to Reece, or a pass in which case they have to account for two backs who are great receivers as well as our WRs and TE.

I realize Reece is no Lorenzo Neal when it comes to blocking, but in the PBS we will be running McFadden can do enough damage without a great lead blocker. He averaged over 5 YPC in two seasons in a PBS and that was with Reece as his blocker.

We still won't have a strong short yardage or goalline game. That's my major concern.

You can scheme around Reece's lackluster blocking in your regular offense. But when you need that yard, and it's your goalline offense vs their goalline defense, is a converted WR really the guy you want meeting Patrick Willis in the hole?

Thats true, but then why not leave Reece at FB where he creates the most mismatches until you are faced with a GL situation, bring in a lead blocking FB to do the dirty work. We have carried a lead blocking FB for a couple years now. Theres nothing wrong with that but theres no point in keeping him in all game long taking the spot that Reece or McFadden could be filling.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

I think he's a fine TE for the offense. The issue now is fans think every TE has to be Gronkowski and if they are not a beast they suck.

I disagree. Myers is in a perfect situation to cash in coming off what will be (well, imo) his most productive season ever in this league. He's a FA so we have to look at him for what he is. if you think he is anything more than average, i can understand wanting to keep him. But i don't. What play4blood posted is exactly my opinion on him. The guy was just targeted a whole lot last season and it resulted in misleading stats. He does nothing at a high level though. You can replace the kind of player he is with a mid round pick making 500K/year for the next 4 years.
Play4Blood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reece showed me more than I was expecting as a halfback, and I think he's presently our best option at TE. As a chess piece like that, it would be nice to have a traditional FB around to handle most of the dirty work to keep him from wearing down trying to shove LBs out of the way of whoever takes over for McFadden when he gets hurt again.

I'd personally like to see him used more like Delanie Walker.

Oakland's new punter. Yes. Punter.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play4Blood wrote:
Reece showed me more than I was expecting as a halfback, and I think he's presently our best option at TE. As a chess piece like that, it would be nice to have a traditional FB around to handle most of the dirty work to keep him from wearing down trying to shove LBs out of the way of whoever takes over for McFadden when he gets hurt again.

Delanie Walker is a poor man's Reece. He could be so much better if we used him as more of a receiving threat than as a runner. Even sending him on routes from an Offset-I or even a Splitbacks formation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Play4Blood wrote:

Delanie Walker is a poor man's Reece. He could be so much better if we used him as more of a receiving threat than as a runner. Even sending him on routes from an Offset-I or even a Splitbacks formation

I don't want to come across as a Hue apologist, because I'm not. But I did like the way Hue moved him around and let him run more than the routes you expect from a RB. Palmer hitting him on that slant, and on that seam route, was such a tease. I thought Reece was going to become a staple of the passing game. Hue was too busy forcing the ball to DHB, though. Shame.

Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play4Blood wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Play4Blood wrote:

I don't want to come across as a Hue apologist, because I'm not. But I did like the way Hue moved him around and let him run more than the routes you expect from a RB. Palmer hitting him on that slant, and on that seam route, was such a tease. I thought Reece was going to become a staple of the passing game. Hue was too busy forcing the ball to DHB, though. Shame.

Say what you will, but he did get the most out of DHB and a lot of our players. He knew how to use Reece, and I'd like to see us return to that way of using him. Something I would not at all be surprised to see after reading what Olson had to say.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Olson is truer to his word (putting players in a position to succeed) than Knapp's monkey arse was.

I still can't believe we tanked a year on that clown.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: