Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ray Lewis may have used banned substance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 7272
Location: 19-19, PA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
titanrick wrote:
kmvoss wrote:
I basically agree with what you're saying. His ego is too big. He has been self-promoting a little too much for a lot of our tastes. Referring to yourself as a legend isn't very becoming.

Mancunian Raven wrote:
The increased self regard he's shown over this past month has been somewhat bothersome to me, even as a Ravens fan. But I get the feeling he's trying to spur his team on and trying to soak up all the attention to leave them free to get ready for the games. At least, I hope that's what he's been doing.

I'm always impressed by fans who aren't afraid to acknowledge the bad along with the good in their favorite team or player. Kudos, gentlemen.

Trust me when I say that there's probably not a fanbase that is more conflicted about Ray's media offensive over the past several weeks than Ravens fans. On the one hand, as long as we're winning I don't care how many times Ray shows off his buttcrack with 75 million cameras huddled around him, and it's clear that his on-the-field leadership and ability has provided a boost during this awesome playoff run. But for me at least, I feel like the over-emphasis on Ray, something that he has encouraged, has really taken away from the love and respect that the rest of the team deserves just as much as him. In particular, I've always been a bigger Ed Reed guy than I have been a Ray Lewis guy (at a base level I feel like all Ravens fans are either Team Ed Reed or Team Ray Lewis -- you either go all-in on Ray's theatrics or you gravitate more towards Ed Reed's more understated demeanor), so I think with all of the attention on Ray it's frustrating that people aren't realizing more the ramifications of this possibly being Ed's last days as a Raven as well. .


I've got to say, if I'm Team Anyone with the Ravens, it's Team Joe. I love Flacco's demeanour, both on and off the field (it's very similar to Ed's to be fair). Cool and poised, dismissive of stuff he doesn't like without being rude, always seeming to be totally confident in himself and his teammates.

A lot of fans have criticised him for not "showing fire" or getting loud and shouty on the sidelines, but that's just not who the guy is. Surely it's better for a team to look at their QB and see a guy who is calmly taking everything in and processing it than someone bitching at his O-line for missing a blocking assignment.

I love Ray Lewis, but I feel like he's a guy I wouldn't be able to deal with on a regular basis. At least, not with him in this evangelising preacher mode he's adopted.

I love Ed too, although his 'I might retire... no, I'm gonna play. I want a new contract... although I might retire' wears on my nerves during the off-season.


That's my only negative view on Reed. His constant back and forth wavering in the offseason is tiresome. However, on the field there isn't many better than him. An all-time great.
_________________


Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Cheesehead430


Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 14373
Location: 414/813
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@ReillyRick

Dinner at Clancy's in New Orleans with Lennay Kekua, @adamschefter and @tunasweasel. Lennay had the deer antler. pic.twitter.com/4Cad8GaC


Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________
Go Pack Go...
*Jaboo Tracker*
237/349, 67.9 comp%, 3,820 yards, 38 TD's, 10 INT's
193 rush yards, 4 TD's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 9113
Location: MD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheesehead430 wrote:
Quote:
@ReillyRick

Dinner at Clancy's in New Orleans with Lennay Kekua, @adamschefter and @tunasweasel. Lennay had the deer antler. pic.twitter.com/4Cad8GaC


Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing


Honestly I can't stand Rick Reilly. Has nothing to do with this. More related to his attitude in general. He was the real victim in the whole Lance Armstrong situation. He was also the most wronged party in the Penn State scandal. His recent piece on CK left me disliking him a little bit more as well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bungleodeon


Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Posts: 9318
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on people, he's not the only one. The fact anyone is acting surprised about this is laughable. Guess what, Barry Bonds was roiding... Confused
_________________
Adopt-a-Brown: Jabaal Sheard - Stats:
First 3 seasons: 135 Tackles - 21 Sacks - 7 FF - 2 FR - 9 PD - 11 STF
2014: 22 Tackles - 2 Sacks - 2 PD - 2 STF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NewNutz


Joined: 28 Apr 2012
Posts: 23
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:
Oh come on people, he's not the only one. The fact anyone is acting surprised about this is laughable. Guess what, Barry Bonds was roiding... Confused


I'm not surprised in the least. However i also believe that probably at least 90% of the league uses ped's. And someone here said it was 3 months and not one that lewis was out for. Even so, a torn tricep is normally a season ending injury. Anyone who thinks lewis and suggs weren't using ped's to recover is just in complete denial. Not saying they're the only ones, cuz like i said, it's probably most of the league. But come on, could it be any more obvious?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheVillain112


Moderator
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 16795
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Cheesehead430 wrote:
Quote:
@ReillyRick

Dinner at Clancy's in New Orleans with Lennay Kekua, @adamschefter and @tunasweasel. Lennay had the deer antler. pic.twitter.com/4Cad8GaC


Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing


Honestly I can't stand Rick Reilly.


Seriously. There is no one in sports I despise more than Rick Reilly. I disagree with a lot more sports writers but at least they write something related to sports unlike Reilly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 29679
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewNutz wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:
Oh come on people, he's not the only one. The fact anyone is acting surprised about this is laughable. Guess what, Barry Bonds was roiding... Confused


I'm not surprised in the least. However i also believe that probably at least 90% of the league uses ped's. And someone here said it was 3 months and not one that lewis was out for. Even so, a torn tricep is normally a season ending injury. Anyone who thinks lewis and suggs weren't using ped's to recover is just in complete denial. Not saying they're the only ones, cuz like i said, it's probably most of the league. But come on, could it be any more obvious?
While I agree that most players are likely on some form of PED's, I still don't like the premise of focusing on Ravens players who recovered from injuries on an accelerated timetable. With Lewis, at least there is this (highly dubious) article, so there's at least some smoke. But Suggs? If we're going to declare Suggs a definite user because he came back and played as a shell of himself 7 and a half months after partially tearing his Achilles, why aren't we also saying Adrian Peterson definitely juiced, because he came back from a torn ACL to post a 2,000 yard season within 8 months? Or Justin Smith, coming back from his own triceps tear within just a couple of weeks? Or Wes Welker, with his own ACL tear causing him to get back in time for the start of the next season? Or Ben Roethlisberger, who bounces off of injuries like he's a zombie?

I'm not inclined to care in general what these players are putting into their own bodies because the whole process is so litigious and arbitrary to begin with, but I'm not sure why Terrell Suggs deserves special mention in any of this.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 5838
Location: WV
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
NewNutz wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:
Oh come on people, he's not the only one. The fact anyone is acting surprised about this is laughable. Guess what, Barry Bonds was roiding... Confused


I'm not surprised in the least. However i also believe that probably at least 90% of the league uses ped's. And someone here said it was 3 months and not one that lewis was out for. Even so, a torn tricep is normally a season ending injury. Anyone who thinks lewis and suggs weren't using ped's to recover is just in complete denial. Not saying they're the only ones, cuz like i said, it's probably most of the league. But come on, could it be any more obvious?
While I agree that most players are likely on some form of PED's, I still don't like the premise of focusing on Ravens players who recovered from injuries on an accelerated timetable. With Lewis, at least there is this (highly dubious) article, so there's at least some smoke. But Suggs? If we're going to declare Suggs a definite user because he came back and played as a shell of himself 7 and a half months after partially tearing his Achilles, why aren't we also saying Adrian Peterson definitely juiced, because he came back from a torn ACL to post a 2,000 yard season within 8 months? Or Justin Smith, coming back from his own triceps tear within just a couple of weeks? Or Wes Welker, with his own ACL tear causing him to get back in time for the start of the next season? Or Ben Roethlisberger, who bounces off of injuries like he's a zombie?

I'm not inclined to care in general what these players are putting into their own bodies because the whole process is so litigious and arbitrary to begin with, but I'm not sure why Terrell Suggs deserves special mention in any of this.

I mentioned Peterson a few pages ago. Most posters aren't saying anyone definitely did or didn't use PEDs, just that it is possible or likely. Don't get offended because players from your team are mentioned, there won't be any asterisks if you win the big game. Mostly because most people figure there are likely players on both teams that are using PEDs. Ravens are just the current topic because of the recent story, could be any or every team.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sammymvpknight


Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Posts: 3399
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect to NFL drug testers...

It was a topical agent. It likely had only local absorption...so big whoopdy doo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15437
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't get paid millions without giving it your all.

At least we all know Montana didn't take anything. Guy had no muscle. Laughing
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12982
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
He came back in 12 weeks, closer to three months.


Certainly doesn't convict him, but I've never heard of a player coming back from a completely torn triceps in the same season. Has it ever happened before (asking everyone)?

This question is kind of made irrelevant by the fact that no player ever 'had a chance' to come back from this injury before.

Left unmentioned in most of this narrative is that Lewis wouldn't have even had the chance to return for his final season- if it weren't for the fact that this offseason the NFL enacted a new rule that allowed for one player to be able to be placed on an Injured Reserve Designated to Return list.

In any other season, the team can't afford to hold a roster spot open for Lewis for 12 whole weeks for just a HOPE/prayer that he returns from the improbable. In any other season Lewis would've been forced to watch this team for the rest of the year... and perhaps retire without any special narrative at all. But because of the rule addition, he was granted the possibility to return weeks after his injury.

Lewis is a special case. This injury is an injury that takes 11 weeks to reach the point where the repaired tricep is no more likely to be reinjured than a 'normal' tricep. The difference is that usually a person isn't back to full strength by this point and now have to spend plenty of time rebuilding muscle. With Lewis, he had the medical technology to help him build muscle while recovering from the injury. He could lift weights and ride a bike as he had (IIRC) some sort of instrument planted within his arm to let him know when he was putting too much stress on it during a workout. That allowed him to constantly push his body to its limit. The dude slept in a hyperbolic chamber for sleep.

Obviously I can't say he did or didn't use Dear Antler extract, but there's no legitimacy to this 'rumor'. There is no evidence or even a player that plays with Lewis crediting this report. But if he did do it, he did a lot more than that to get back on the field in time for a playoff run. So affect his legacy, who cares... his legacy will livestrong in Baltimore.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NewNutz


Joined: 28 Apr 2012
Posts: 23
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
NewNutz wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:
Oh come on people, he's not the only one. The fact anyone is acting surprised about this is laughable. Guess what, Barry Bonds was roiding... Confused


I'm not surprised in the least. However i also believe that probably at least 90% of the league uses ped's. And someone here said it was 3 months and not one that lewis was out for. Even so, a torn tricep is normally a season ending injury. Anyone who thinks lewis and suggs weren't using ped's to recover is just in complete denial. Not saying they're the only ones, cuz like i said, it's probably most of the league. But come on, could it be any more obvious?
While I agree that most players are likely on some form of PED's, I still don't like the premise of focusing on Ravens players who recovered from injuries on an accelerated timetable. With Lewis, at least there is this (highly dubious) article, so there's at least some smoke. But Suggs? If we're going to declare Suggs a definite user because he came back and played as a shell of himself 7 and a half months after partially tearing his Achilles, why aren't we also saying Adrian Peterson definitely juiced, because he came back from a torn ACL to post a 2,000 yard season within 8 months? Or Justin Smith, coming back from his own triceps tear within just a couple of weeks? Or Wes Welker, with his own ACL tear causing him to get back in time for the start of the next season? Or Ben Roethlisberger, who bounces off of injuries like he's a zombie?

I'm not inclined to care in general what these players are putting into their own bodies because the whole process is so litigious and arbitrary to begin with, but I'm not sure why Terrell Suggs deserves special mention in any of this.


well obviously you wouldn't like people focusing on the ravens. They're your team. The only reason i'm even focusing on them is because of the recent article. and as far as peterson goes, i definitely think he used. I'm a patriots fan (not bitter by the way, the ravens wanted that game more and completely kicked their [inappropriate/removed]), and i'll be the first one to say that welker probably used to get back in time, and brandon spikes got suspended recently for using hgh i believe (last season i think). Jermaine cunningham also got suspended this year. That guy was obviously using. He sucked for 3 seasons and then all of the sudden early this season he turns into a beast. I'm not in denial about guys on the patriots using PED's, like i said, i think at least 90% of the league does it. But to think that lewis and suggs came back that quickly without using is ridiculous. and to think that all lewis used was deer antler or whatever the hell it is, is just turning a blind eye as well. If you look at the nfl and the guys that get caught and suspended, it's always lower level guys, never their big stars and stud players. The nfl doesn't want to suspend those guys and their testing policy is a joke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 9113
Location: MD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewNutz wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
NewNutz wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:
Oh come on people, he's not the only one. The fact anyone is acting surprised about this is laughable. Guess what, Barry Bonds was roiding... Confused


I'm not surprised in the least. However i also believe that probably at least 90% of the league uses ped's. And someone here said it was 3 months and not one that lewis was out for. Even so, a torn tricep is normally a season ending injury. Anyone who thinks lewis and suggs weren't using ped's to recover is just in complete denial. Not saying they're the only ones, cuz like i said, it's probably most of the league. But come on, could it be any more obvious?
While I agree that most players are likely on some form of PED's, I still don't like the premise of focusing on Ravens players who recovered from injuries on an accelerated timetable. With Lewis, at least there is this (highly dubious) article, so there's at least some smoke. But Suggs? If we're going to declare Suggs a definite user because he came back and played as a shell of himself 7 and a half months after partially tearing his Achilles, why aren't we also saying Adrian Peterson definitely juiced, because he came back from a torn ACL to post a 2,000 yard season within 8 months? Or Justin Smith, coming back from his own triceps tear within just a couple of weeks? Or Wes Welker, with his own ACL tear causing him to get back in time for the start of the next season? Or Ben Roethlisberger, who bounces off of injuries like he's a zombie?

I'm not inclined to care in general what these players are putting into their own bodies because the whole process is so litigious and arbitrary to begin with, but I'm not sure why Terrell Suggs deserves special mention in any of this.


well obviously you wouldn't like people focusing on the ravens. They're your team. The only reason i'm even focusing on them is because of the recent article. and as far as peterson goes, i definitely think he used. I'm a patriots fan (not bitter by the way, the ravens wanted that game more and completely kicked their [inappropriate/removed]), and i'll be the first one to say that welker probably used to get back in time, and brandon spikes got suspended recently for using hgh i believe (last season i think). Jermaine cunningham also got suspended this year. That guy was obviously using. He sucked for 3 seasons and then all of the sudden early this season he turns into a beast. I'm not in denial about guys on the patriots using PED's, like i said, i think at least 90% of the league does it. But to think that lewis and suggs came back that quickly without using is ridiculous. and to think that all lewis used was deer antler or whatever the hell it is, is just turning a blind eye as well. If you look at the nfl and the guys that get caught and suspended, it's always lower level guys, never their big stars and stud players. The nfl doesn't want to suspend those guys and their testing policy is a joke.


The Williamses, Shawn Merriman, the Seahawks guys, Brian Cushing, etc.

Plenty of big name guys have been suspended.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
NewNutz


Joined: 28 Apr 2012
Posts: 23
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
NewNutz wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
NewNutz wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:
Oh come on people, he's not the only one. The fact anyone is acting surprised about this is laughable. Guess what, Barry Bonds was roiding... Confused


I'm not surprised in the least. However i also believe that probably at least 90% of the league uses ped's. And someone here said it was 3 months and not one that lewis was out for. Even so, a torn tricep is normally a season ending injury. Anyone who thinks lewis and suggs weren't using ped's to recover is just in complete denial. Not saying they're the only ones, cuz like i said, it's probably most of the league. But come on, could it be any more obvious?
While I agree that most players are likely on some form of PED's, I still don't like the premise of focusing on Ravens players who recovered from injuries on an accelerated timetable. With Lewis, at least there is this (highly dubious) article, so there's at least some smoke. But Suggs? If we're going to declare Suggs a definite user because he came back and played as a shell of himself 7 and a half months after partially tearing his Achilles, why aren't we also saying Adrian Peterson definitely juiced, because he came back from a torn ACL to post a 2,000 yard season within 8 months? Or Justin Smith, coming back from his own triceps tear within just a couple of weeks? Or Wes Welker, with his own ACL tear causing him to get back in time for the start of the next season? Or Ben Roethlisberger, who bounces off of injuries like he's a zombie?

I'm not inclined to care in general what these players are putting into their own bodies because the whole process is so litigious and arbitrary to begin with, but I'm not sure why Terrell Suggs deserves special mention in any of this.


well obviously you wouldn't like people focusing on the ravens. They're your team. The only reason i'm even focusing on them is because of the recent article. and as far as peterson goes, i definitely think he used. I'm a patriots fan (not bitter by the way, the ravens wanted that game more and completely kicked their [inappropriate/removed]), and i'll be the first one to say that welker probably used to get back in time, and brandon spikes got suspended recently for using hgh i believe (last season i think). Jermaine cunningham also got suspended this year. That guy was obviously using. He sucked for 3 seasons and then all of the sudden early this season he turns into a beast. I'm not in denial about guys on the patriots using PED's, like i said, i think at least 90% of the league does it. But to think that lewis and suggs came back that quickly without using is ridiculous. and to think that all lewis used was deer antler or whatever the hell it is, is just turning a blind eye as well. If you look at the nfl and the guys that get caught and suspended, it's always lower level guys, never their big stars and stud players. The nfl doesn't want to suspend those guys and their testing policy is a joke.


The Williamses, Shawn Merriman, the Seahawks guys, Brian Cushing, etc.

Plenty of big name guys have been suspended.


those guys aren't legitimate studs. I'm talking about guys like peterson, ray lewis, etc. as far as your examples go though, both of the williamses appealed and won, and didn't miss a game, as did richard sherman of the seahawks. I wouldn't exactly call brandon browner a stud player. Cushing is borderline. Merriman when he got suspended was probably the closest thing to a stud, and he sucked when he came back and is now out of the league i believe. Again, i mean the real big name guys. The ones who bring fans and revenue to the league. Would i be surprised if a guy like tom brady or peyton manning got caught and suspended? Absolutely. but i wouldn't be surprised that they were using, just that the nfl would actually suspend a guy like that. It will never happen. that's why peterson and other guys of his calliber will never get caught.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titanrick


Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 11912
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
titanrick wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
He came back in 12 weeks, closer to three months.


Certainly doesn't convict him, but I've never heard of a player coming back from a completely torn triceps in the same season. Has it ever happened before (asking everyone)?

This question is kind of made irrelevant by the fact that no player ever 'had a chance' to come back from this injury before.

Left unmentioned in most of this narrative is that Lewis wouldn't have even had the chance to return for his final season- if it weren't for the fact that this offseason the NFL enacted a new rule that allowed for one player to be able to be placed on an Injured Reserve Designated to Return list.


Excellent point that I had forgotten about. We're really only talking about this year then. I found Levi Brown suffered a torn triceps in August of this year and never returned. It didn't sound like he was even placed on the "eligible to return" list, but that could be for other reasons.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 19 of 22

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group