Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1987 Super Bowl WHAT IF? (Vikings vs. Browns)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x0x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: 1987 Super Bowl WHAT IF? (Vikings vs. Browns) Reply with quote

The 1987 Conference Championship games were very close and ended in the last minute.

The Browns and Vikings could have just as easily won.

What would have been the outcome of this matchup of Super Bowl-less franchises?
chucknorris101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very fact that we exist right now is evidence that this scenario did indeed happen and caused the universe to implode and reset so that the possibility of either winning would never have occurred.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hard to believe how browns have such loyal great fans. I cant think of a time they didnt suck.
PurplePeterson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:
hard to believe how browns have such loyal great fans. I cant think of a time they didnt suck.

They did not suck in the 80's
Bruisers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's shocking to me is that the Vikings have been to 4 Super Bowls and I wasn't alive for any of them, I'm 35.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruisers wrote:
What's shocking to me is that the Vikings have been to 4 Super Bowls and I wasn't alive for any of them, I'm 35.

4 NFC title games and losses that I've been been witness to and I'm 33. I'm hoping someday we finally find that player like Tom Brady that just catapults us into league dominance and we win a few titles. Pray
PurplePeterson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Bruisers wrote:

4 NFC title games and losses that I've been been witness to and I'm 33. I'm hoping someday we finally find that player like Tom Brady that just catapults us into league dominance and we win a few titles. Pray

Christian Ponder=Tom Brady Laughing
Catch42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings probably win the game. 1987 goes down as one of those weird years like 2002. And the universe still exists.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Super Bowl WHAT IF? (Vikings vs. Browns) Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
The 1987 Conference Championship games were very close and ended in the last minute.

Clever scenerio.

The NFC had such dominant teams in the 1980's, the Bill Walsh 49ers fell short to Minnesota. The Vikings, coached by Jerry Burns, were a solid team. They won a WC berth at 8-7, taking 2nd in the NFC Central, behind the Bears with trouble at QB. Burns team had two QB's, Wade Wilson and Tommy Kramer. That was a defensive team with HoFer Chris Dolman leading a tough D line, good linebackers and opportunistic secondary. Wilson/Kramer had a solid run game and 2 good WR's and an outstanding TE in Steve Jordan.

But, the Browns would have crushed the Vikings in a SB. Coached by Marty Schottenheimer, they took the AFC Central at 10-6.

QB Bernie Kosar was only in his 3rd year. He had Ernest Byner and Kevin Mack to run the ball. His receivers included Webster Slaughter and HoF TE Ozzie Newsome. Cleveland's defense was solid with Clay Matthews up front and a quick secondary.

The Vikings brought more defensive heat than Kosar saw in the AFC. But the Browns balance on offense would have moved the ball, wearing out the Vikings.

Vikings QB's Kramer and Wilson would be no match for Kosar.

Burns had a good team, Schottenheimer had a near great one. Wink
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurplePeterson wrote:
mozwanted wrote:

So you are saying you were born in 1996 or just never watched anything football related until 1996?

Jamison on the sig
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Super Bowl WHAT IF? (Vikings vs. Browns) Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
x0x wrote:

Clever scenerio.

The NFC had such dominant teams in the 1980's, the Bill Walsh 49ers fell short to Minnesota. The Vikings, coached by Jerry Burns, were a solid team. They won a WC berth at 8-7, taking 2nd in the NFC Central, behind the Bears with trouble at QB. Burns team had two QB's, Wade Wilson and Tommy Kramer. That was a defensive team with HoFer Chris Dolman leading a tough D line, good linebackers and opportunistic secondary. Wilson/Kramer had a solid run game and 2 good WR's and an outstanding TE in Steve Jordan.

But, the Browns would have crushed the Vikings in a SB. Coached by Marty Schottenheimer, they took the AFC Central at 10-6.

QB Bernie Kosar was only in his 3rd year. He had Ernest Byner and Kevin Mack to run the ball. His receivers included Webster Slaughter and HoF TE Ozzie Newsome. Cleveland's defense was solid with Clay Matthews up front and a quick secondary.

The Vikings brought more defensive heat than Kosar saw in the AFC. But the Browns balance on offense would have moved the ball, wearing out the Vikings.

It was a strike year and there were 3 games with replacement players, the Vikings lost all 3. So the real Vikings were 8-4.
The Vikings crushed the 12-3 Saints in the Wild Card game and the 13-2 49ers in the divisional round, both on the road. They also had already beat the Broncos that year.
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Super Bowl WHAT IF? (Vikings vs. Browns) Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
x0x wrote:

Clever scenerio.

It was a strike year and there were 3 games with replacement players, the Vikings lost all 3. So the real Vikings were 8-4.
The Vikings crushed the 12-3 Saints in the Wild Card game and the 13-2 49ers in the divisional round, both on the road. They also had already beat the Broncos that year.

And its the Cleveland Browns, so we would have found a way to lose the game even if we out played the Vikings for 59 minutes.

Jamison on the sig
PurplePeterson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:
mozwanted wrote:

So you are saying you were born in 1996 or just never watched anything football related until 1996?

1980-11-5 record
1986-12-4 record
1987-10-5 record
1988-10-6 record
1989-9-6 record

So they did not suck during those years
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurplePeterson wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:
mozwanted wrote:

1980-11-5 record
1986-12-4 record
1987-10-5 record
1988-10-6 record
1989-9-6 record

Nice of you to leave out 1994 when we went 11-5 winning a playoff game and losing to the only team in the AFC that could have beat us in the playoffs the Steelers. It is also nice of you to leave out we were a very popular super bowl pick for 1995 and started out 3-1 before the announcement of the move that crippled the team.

The Cleveland Browns were hardly ever a bad franchise and never a laughing stock. We are not the terrible franchise with a history of losing that 31 fan bases and the media make us out to be. We have fallen on hard times since 1999. Certainly we have had time to build it back up, but you tell me how well your team would do if the current team was ripped from your city and then given a joke of a expansion draft and picks to work with 4 years later.

The Cleveland Browns are infact one of the winningest franchises in the history of the NFL but for some reason only MLB, NHL and NBA championships count before 1966 Rolling Eyes

Jamison on the sig
PurplePeterson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:
mozwanted wrote:

1980-11-5 record
1986-12-4 record
1987-10-5 record
1988-10-6 record
1989-9-6 record

Nice of you to leave out 1994 when we went 11-5 winning a playoff game and losing to the only team in the AFC that could have beat us in the playoffs the Steelers. It is also nice of you to leave out we were a very popular super bowl pick for 1995 and started out 3-1 before the announcement of the move that crippled the team.

The Cleveland Browns were hardly ever a bad franchise and never a laughing stock. We are not the terrible franchise with a history of losing that 31 fan bases and the media make us out to be. We have fallen on hard times since 1999. Certainly we have had time to build it back up, but you tell me how well your team would do if the current team was ripped from your city and then given a joke of a expansion draft and picks to work with 4 years later.

The Cleveland Browns are infact one of the winningest franchises in the history of the NFL but for some reason only MLB, NHL and NBA championships count before 1966 Rolling Eyes

I did not say anything about the 90's, I was talking about the 80's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: