Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1987 Super Bowl WHAT IF? (Vikings vs. Browns)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought you were leaving out the 90s on purpose because you thought we have always sucked. I got confused because I quoted the wrong person. I wanted to quote mozwanted bc he said ""

Quote:
hard to believe how browns have such loyal great fans. I cant think of a time they didnt suck.

Sorry for the misunderstanding Very Happy

Jamison on the sig
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some comparables:
Both teams were 8-4 with non-strike teams.
Browns point differential in those 12 games was +112, the Vikings was +38.
In games against common opponents the Vikings were 6-0, the Browns were 3-3.
Badger75

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFC had several dynasty teams in the 1980's. The SF 49ers, the Redskins and the NYG. There were several near great teams like the Bears that never caught that '85 momentum again. The Vikings were a very solid, good team throughout the '80's.

Denver, Cleveland, Cincinnati and the LA Raiders were the class of the AFC in the '80's.

Don't think Minnesota would have won the SB over Denver or Cleveland. Washington was a team that found momentum with QB Doug Williams.

Elway or Kosar would have bested the Vikings. But the Redskins would have rolled over all of them.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurplePeterson wrote:
mozwanted wrote:
hard to believe how browns have such loyal great fans. I cant think of a time they didnt suck.

They did not suck in the 80's

Correct. They were my favorite AFC team to root for in the 1980's. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Browns (and their long suffering fans).

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
PurplePeterson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
The NFC had several dynasty teams in the 1980's. The SF 49ers, the Redskins and the NYG. There were several near great teams like the Bears that never caught that '85 momentum again. The Vikings were a very solid, good team throughout the '80's.

Denver, Cleveland, Cincinnati and the LA Raiders were the class of the AFC in the '80's.

Don't think Minnesota would have won the SB over Denver or Cleveland. Washington was a team that found momentum with QB Doug Williams.

Elway or Kosar would have bested the Vikings. But the Redskins would have rolled over all of them.

I do not think so either with the injuries the Vikings had in the NFC championship game
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regulation would have ended in a tie and then the world would have exploded before overtime could start.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurplePeterson wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

I do not think so either with the injuries the Vikings had in the NFC championship game

The Vikings might be a mystery team of the 1980's. The late, great Mike Lynne, long time GM, had a knack for spotting talent. The '80's Vikings were a talented team that simply under achieved. HC Jerry Burns seemed to get out coached by the Bears HC Mike Ditka. Ditka just seemed to have his number.

Of the four teams in '87, the Vikings had trouble at QB. Elway, Kosar and Williams would have or did out play Kramer and Wilson. Even the Bears, with QB trouble of their own, won the division.
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Regulation would have ended in a tie and then the world would have exploded before overtime could start.

Hey look at this guy. He can poke fun at the Browns losing ways even though it took his city nearly 30 years and stealing the team Cleveland had built up to for them to win a super bowl.

Cleveland :: 4 NFL championships, 5 if you count the Cleveland Rams
Baltimore :: 3 NFL championships

Jamison on the sig
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurplePeterson wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

Who got hurt?
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:

The Vikings had already beaten the teams with the 2 best records in the league. If the Vikings had won the NFC championship they would have had a ton of momentum.
Badger75

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

The Vikings had already beaten the teams with the 2 best records in the league. If the Vikings had won the NFC championship they would have had a ton of momentum.

Yes, any team winning the Conference championship to get to the SB has momentum. The Vikings got past the first ever playoff Saints in the WC round. They bested Walsh's 49ers and hung close with the Redskins.

They beat some good teams during the season. But they were swept by the Bears and Packers and split with the lowly '87 Bucs.

They lost Wade Wilson for six games and ten year veteran Kramer didn't post good numbers.

Wade Wilson 2,106 yards passing 14 TD 13 INT 76.7 QB rating ran for 263 yards 5 TD 12 games

Tommy Kramer 452 yards passing 4 TD 3 INT 67.5 rating ran for 44 yards 2 TD 6 games

Don't think Wade Wilson could have won the SB against Kosar, Elway or Williams.
NS922

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:

The Cleveland Browns are infact one of the winningest franchises in the history of the NFL but for some reason only MLB, NHL and NBA championships count before 1966 Rolling Eyes

NFL/AFL championships do count, but they are only equal to today's NFC/AFC championships. And they were so long ago so people only care about Super Bowls.
PurplePeterson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

Who got hurt?

John Randle and 4 other players, I forgot who though
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurplePeterson wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

Who got hurt?

John Randle and 4 other players, I forgot who though

John Randle wasn't on the 87 Vikings. Confused
RiseUp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Yeah Randle wouldn't be in the NFL until '90 and he wouldn't start for the Vikings for another two years after that. Perhaps you're thinking of someone like Keith Millard? Idk. I know it couldn't have been Randle though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: