Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lombardi absent at Senior Bowl?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StewieRules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Lombardi absent at Senior Bowl? Reply with quote

Thought this was interesting :

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/01/24/13/Seen-and-heard-at-the-Senior-Bowl/landing.html?blockID=854141

Apparently neither he or any of the main coaches thought it necessary to see the guys 1st-hand (though our scouts were there)

Dunno if this is a big deal or not, but apparently we were the only team not to have a GM or PP-level guy there.

Lombardi counting on Kiper's top 100 list as being good enough??
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.

This was mentioned last week. Hopefully they are relying more on scouts to get them the info they need.

Maybe they watched NFL Network coverage to save a few bucks. Laughing

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One positive to take out of this is maybe it means we aren't touching any of those Senior Bowl QB's in this draft.
BwickBrownie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually one of the few people in Cleveland who is waiting to give Lombardi a chance to re-prove or hang himself, but this just doesn't pass the smell test... what does it hurt to go and check these guys out? A big part of going to an event like this isn't to scout the players that are already on your big board, it's to open your eyes to players who might intrigue you, so you go chat with them after a practice or what not... I just don't get it.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BwickBrownie wrote:
I'm actually one of the few people in Cleveland who is waiting to give Lombardi a chance to re-prove or hang himself, but this just doesn't pass the smell test... what does it hurt to go and check these guys out? A big part of going to an event like this isn't to scout the players that are already on your big board, it's to open your eyes to players who might intrigue you, so you go chat with them after a practice or what not... I just don't get it.

Well, maybe Lombardi's job title is more than just figurative. Maybe he really is going to be involved in pro-personnel
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

non issue for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:

Well, maybe Lombardi's job title is more than just figurative. Maybe he really is going to be involved in pro-personnel

From this randomly googled article on national football post:
Jack Bechta wrote:
One of the most understated jobs in the NFL is the Pro Personnel Director. On paper, his job is to know every relevant player in the league who can possibly become available in any capacity and help his team. The Pro Director doesn’t get to make a lot of moves. The ones that he does make can make the difference of a team making the playoffs, having solid back-ups, and making sure that the bottom half of the roster is competitive and can fill in when a star player is hurt.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Who-is-the-Pro-Personnel-Director.html

So you could be right EZ, but my point still stands the same... whoever (if not Lombardi) is controlling the draft should have dedicated some amount of time to this event.
NPBrowns

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Browns I'm sure had lots to take care of in house. Every team gets videos from practice. Most teams do not even stay for the game. Non issue at this point for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this means nothing. The senior bowl isnt the be all end all.

if the Browns had no one there then I be concerned but they had scouts there. IMO I rather have the scouts there to get reports. The scout most likely have a list of abilities they need to look for in players and from there they make their scouting reports and feeding them to the hire ups. I think I like that it will slim down the players list so the big guys can spend more time on potential players.

One thing I like about him being there he cant fall in love with a guy who might not fit into what we are trying to build but there man crush could take over.

So I like it that they can narrow down a list of players, spend more time scouting those players, and finding building a big board of the players that will have the biggest impact the best

also like what another post said, everything at the senior bowl was video taped. So if a scout comes back raving about a guy the big guys will most likely watch the footage on him. I like the scouts the Browns have. They have done a good job the past couple years finding talent for the FO. IMO out scouts have found the talent and Heckert had to decide when to draft them and etc. I think out scouts helped discover Hughes, TBen, Schwartz, Buster, Hagg, and etc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GM and coaches weren't there last year ether just the scouting staff.

Oh by the way they drafted 6 players from the senior bowl in 2012.

Food for thought.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
BwickBrownie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty clear I'm in the minority, and while I don't think this is the downfall of the team, I just have one question.. .why is it that every other team puts priority in it? If nothing else I'm just trying to understand the disconnect and the other 31 teams in the NFL. If it's just something as simple as sending scouts and watching tapes, why are the Browns the only ones bucking the trend?
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BwickBrownie wrote:
It's pretty clear I'm in the minority, and while I don't think this is the downfall of the team, I just have one question.. .why is it that every other team puts priority in it? If nothing else I'm just trying to understand the disconnect and the other 31 teams in the NFL. If it's just something as simple as sending scouts and watching tapes, why are the Browns the only ones bucking the trend?

My simple guess is they have confidence in spytek (sp?) the head of scouting.

Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Savage there?

Director college scouting?

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
Wasn't Savage there?

Director college scouting?

Wink

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Evil or Very Mad

shuudawg76

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because we are trading all of our picks this year for Terrelle Pryor.

Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: