Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Another Mock In The Dark - 7 Rds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karnage_84

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Another Mock In The Dark - 7 Rds Reply with quote

This is my second shot at a mock (at least as posted). I've browsed several different mocks on this site and others to try and gather general ideas on draft position. I've also taken a couple comments from my last mock and mixed things up. Explanations will be below.

**Trade with either San Diego or Tampa Bay for 1, 2, 4 and 2014 2nd for Pick 5** SD takes Eric Fisher; TB takes Dee Milliner

Assumptions:
- Avril is not retained
- Houston is resigned
- Delmas is resigned on incentive laden contract

1) Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
Arguably the best prospect in the draft, he falls to the mid-rounds because he's a guard. Instantly upgrades our offensive line and should help open up lanes for our RB's and keep Matty upright.

2) Tavon Austin, WR, WVU
An explosive playmaker, Austin would bring Best-like qualities to this offense which will open up things for Calvin and Broyles.

2) (From Trade) Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
Delmas is signed on a short term, incentive-laden contract. However, he'll still need someone to play alongside of him. Rambo is a solid safety with size than can be plugged in and upgrade our secondary. Had some issues with marijuana while at Georgia, so could slip into the third. However, a solid playmaker.

3) Tank Carradine, DE, FSU

With Avril gone, we need another weapon on the edge. Coming off a recent knee injury, Carradine drops to the 3rd but has 1st round talent. If the knee checks out, this is a huge coup for Mayhew and co.

4) (From Trade) Duke Williams, S, Nevada

I love Delmas but I don't trust him and his health. Another solid playmaker at safety, Williams either will provide solid depth at the position or could help form a dynamic tandem at safety with Rambo depending on the health of Delmas.

4) (Comp) Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida

Gillislee may not have Best's top end speed but definitely has enough and would be a great compliment to Bell/Leshoure. At 209, he's got some size and has shown to be able to slip through small creases and make big plays. I suspect he'd be better in pass protection than a Kenjon Barner and more dynamic than a Johnathan Franklin.

5) Sio Moore, OLB, UCONN

We're going to lose at least one of our LB's and Moore is a solid all-around football player. Could be this years Lavonte David.

6) Tyrann Mathieu, CB/S, LSU

I know that I'll get some flack for this but here's my thinking. Until all of this nonsense with Mathieu, he was likely a 1st-2nd rd talent. Mathieu is a playmaker when he's on the field, both in the secondary and in the return game. We have a HUGE need in our secondary and on special teams for a returner. There are reports that Mathieu has been working on turning things around. The jury is still out but he could very well be worth a flier this late in the draft. If he's a headache, we can easily part ways without a ton of money involved. If he pans out, he could be a huge bargain.

7) Braxton Cave, C, ND

Raiola is coming to the end of his career. Cave could be a nice developmental prospect that won't be forced into the starting lineup right away.

7) (Comp) Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida

Hanson is on the tailend of his career. Can come in and compete for the starting job.

Feel free to tear it up.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this one a lot. I don't like taking Mathieu, but that's my only real complaint. I think Moore goes earlier than that, though, but if we get him there that's good value.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Mock In The Dark - 7 Rds Reply with quote

Karnage_84 wrote:
This is my second shot at a mock (at least as posted). I've browsed several different mocks on this site and others to try and gather general ideas on draft position. I've also taken a couple comments from my last mock and mixed things up. Explanations will be below.

**Trade with either San Diego or Tampa Bay for 1, 2, 4 and 2014 2nd for Pick 5** SD takes Eric Fisher; TB takes Dee Milliner

Assumptions:
- Avril is not retained
- Houston is resigned
- Delmas is resigned on incentive laden contract

1) Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
Arguably the best prospect in the draft, he falls to the mid-rounds because he's a guard. Instantly upgrades our offensive line and should help open up lanes for our RB's and keep Matty upright.

2) Tavon Austin, WR, WVU
An explosive playmaker, Austin would bring Best-like qualities to this offense which will open up things for Calvin and Broyles.

2) (From Trade) Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
Delmas is signed on a short term, incentive-laden contract. However, he'll still need someone to play alongside of him. Rambo is a solid safety with size than can be plugged in and upgrade our secondary. Had some issues with marijuana while at Georgia, so could slip into the third. However, a solid playmaker.

3) Tank Carradine, DE, FSU

With Avril gone, we need another weapon on the edge. Coming off a recent knee injury, Carradine drops to the 3rd but has 1st round talent. If the knee checks out, this is a huge coup for Mayhew and co.

4) (From Trade) Duke Williams, S, Nevada

I love Delmas but I don't trust him and his health. Another solid playmaker at safety, Williams either will provide solid depth at the position or could help form a dynamic tandem at safety with Rambo depending on the health of Delmas.

4) (Comp) Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida

Gillislee may not have Best's top end speed but definitely has enough and would be a great compliment to Bell/Leshoure. At 209, he's got some size and has shown to be able to slip through small creases and make big plays. I suspect he'd be better in pass protection than a Kenjon Barner and more dynamic than a Johnathan Franklin.

5) Sio Moore, OLB, UCONN

We're going to lose at least one of our LB's and Moore is a solid all-around football player. Could be this years Lavonte David.

6) Tyrann Mathieu, CB/S, LSU

I know that I'll get some flack for this but here's my thinking. Until all of this nonsense with Mathieu, he was likely a 1st-2nd rd talent. Mathieu is a playmaker when he's on the field, both in the secondary and in the return game. We have a HUGE need in our secondary and on special teams for a returner. There are reports that Mathieu has been working on turning things around. The jury is still out but he could very well be worth a flier this late in the draft. If he's a headache, we can easily part ways without a ton of money involved. If he pans out, he could be a huge bargain.

7) Braxton Cave, C, ND

Raiola is coming to the end of his career. Cave could be a nice developmental prospect that won't be forced into the starting lineup right away.

7) (Comp) Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida

Hanson is on the tailend of his career. Can come in and compete for the starting job.

Feel free to tear it up.

Predicted depth chart (no FA or UDFA) Rookies are in BOLD
QB: Stafford/Hill/Moore
RB: Leshoure/Bell/Gillislee
WR:Johnson/Broyles
WR: Austin/Osgood/Durham
TE: Pettigrew/Scheffler/Heller
LT: Reiff/Fox
LG: Sims
C: Raiola/Cave
RG: Warmack/
RT:Cherilus/Hilliard

LE:L. Jackson/Carradine
DT:Suh/C. Williams
DT:Fairley/SLH
RE: W. Young/R.Lewis
LOLB:Durant/Whitehead
MLB:Tulloch/Palmer/T. Lewis
ROLB:Moore/Whitehead
CB: Houston/Greenwood/Green
CB: Bentley/Mathieu
SS: Rambo/Silva
FS: Delmas/Williams
K:Hanson
P:
KR:Mathieu
PR:Mathieu

Curious to see what you guys think.
Karnage_84

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
I like this one a lot. I don't like taking Mathieu, but that's my only real complaint. I think Moore goes earlier than that, though, but if we get him there that's good value.

I don't like Mathieu much either but I think that he's worth a gamble in the 6th if he seems to be on the right path. He brings a lot to the table and could help plug a couple holes and be additional depth in the secondary. His versatility as either a CB/S would be great to have.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as you don't chastise Mayhew for taking a risk on Titus, I can live with taking Mathieu. Sometimes the risks work, sometimes they don't. In the 6th round, perhaps it's more worth it than in the 2nd.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
So long as you don't chastise Mayhew for taking a risk on Titus, I can live with taking Mathieu. Sometimes the risks work, sometimes they don't. In the 6th round, perhaps it's more worth it than in the 2nd.

Knowing what we now know, I don't know if I would have taken Young when they did. I didn't hear of the reports until recently about Young's behaviour at Boise and in HS. However, he has a lot to offer as a skill player and we weren't dealing with the string of arrests at that time. So who knows, maybe I would have.

In Mathieu's case, no way I touch him in the 4th or 5th. In the 6th, he's absolutely worth taking a flier on as long as he's showing he's learning from his mistakes and showing maturity. I like what he brings but I'm not overpaying either.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karnage_84 wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

Knowing what we now know, I don't know if I would have taken Young when they did. I didn't hear of the reports until recently about Young's behaviour at Boise and in HS. However, he has a lot to offer as a skill player and we weren't dealing with the string of arrests at that time. So who knows, maybe I would have.

In Mathieu's case, no way I touch him in the 4th or 5th. In the 6th, he's absolutely worth taking a flier on as long as he's showing he's learning from his mistakes and showing maturity. I like what he brings but I'm not overpaying either.

Young didn't just have a small suspension at Boise State. He was suspended for nine games which was every game left for the year.

I understand your thought process on Mathieu's selection in the later rounds. I just have a different philosophy. I don't want to see them take any additional risk, regardless of round until the roster is significantly better.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Karnage_84

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Karnage_84 wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

Young didn't just have a small suspension at Boise State. He was suspended for nine games which was every game left for the year.

I understand your thought process on Mathieu's selection in the later rounds. I just have a different philosophy. I don't want to see them take any additional risk, regardless of round until the roster is significantly better.

I don't know why I hadn't heard that during the draft process? I thought I paid a lot more attention than that, especially for a potential 1st-2nd rd pick?

I would not have taken Young in that spot or at all in that case, definitely not in the 2nd round. I'm strongly thinking he wouldn't have been a Lion if I was drafting. I'm also sort of reconsidering the drafting of Fairley. Suh, SLH and Corey Williams already make a pretty potent DT corp. Just like when the Lions took Gosder, I wasn't overly pleased and have had mixed thoughts ever since.

I think overall that in the 6th it's not such a bad call given the potential. You tend to not get a lot out of 6th and 7th round picks, so it's a gamble I think I would be willing to take. It's like placing a $100 bet to win $100,000. You're not giving up a lot but the payoff could be huge.

What are your thoughts on Rambo in the 2nd? He's a solid safety prospect but had marijuana issues at Georgia which included suspensions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: