Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Lannister Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruffryderbiff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: A Lannister Mock Reply with quote

Hey guys, it’s been a long time since I’ve posted on here but I wanted to post a mock and see what you guys thought. I do read the threads on the site everyday though, to keep up on news and get the overall consensus on our beloved Lions. And sorry about the corny name. I couldn’t think of anything and I had just put down the 4th Game of Thrones book.

*The numbers I’ve used are from TheNetRat

Lions Free Agent re-signings – 26.85 million cap spent

-Jason Fox – Original Round tender – 1.3 million
-Willie Young – 2nd Round tender – 2 million
-Amari Speivey –Original Round tender – 1.3 million

Joique Bell, Shaun Chapas, Kris Durham, and Ricardo Silva are all eRFA and resigned. I’m not positive on the #’s for this but I’m going to assume 2 million for the year for all four of them.

-Chris Houston – 4 years, 26 million – 4 million cap hit
(he is our # 1 priority this year)
-Louis Delmas – 3 year, 11 million – 2 million cap hit
(this contract would have low guaranteed money, and have a team option next year)
-DeAndre Levy – 5 year, 18 million – 2 million cap hit
-Justin Durant – 3 year, 9 million – 2 million cap hit
-Sammie Hill – 3 year, 8 million – 2 million cap hit
-Lawrence Jackson – 3 year, 8 million – 2 million cap hit
-Corey Williams – 3 year, 8 million – 2 million cap hit
-Jason Hanson – 1 year, 2 million
-Kassim Osgood – 1 year, 750k
-Will Heller – 1 year, 750k
-Don Mulbach – 1 year, 750k

Players with expiring contracts not re-signed

Keiland Williams, Kevin Smith, Stefan Logan, Dylan Gandy, Gosder Cherilus, Corey Hilliard, Andre Fluellen, Cliff Avril, Erik Coleman, Jacob Lacey, Drayton Florence, Pat Lee, Nick Harris

Player Extension/Restructure – saves 26.5 million in cap
(not positive on whether the restructures would be allowed or not)

-Matt Stafford – 3 year, 40 million dollar extension - saves 12 million in cap
-allows us to realocate his salary into the later years of his contract, also has a team option

-Ndamukong Suh – restructures 2013 salary into bonus – saves 11 million
-the hopes is that he will do an extension during next offseason, if not, restructure again to move part of $20 million dollar cap hit into his final year.

- Stephen Tulloch – restructure 2013 salary into bonus – saves 3.5 million
-he has a pretty cap friendly contract to start, so adding 1 million a year to each of his bonuses for the last 3 years shouldn’t hurt us terribly

Current Players Released – saves 17.75 million in cap

-Dominic Raiola – saves 4 million
-Jeff Backus – saves 2.75 million
-Stephen Peterman – saves 3.25 million
- Shaun Hill – saves 2.75 million
-Kyle Vanden Bosch – saves 5 million

NFL Free Agency – leaves us with about 10.5 million (with 5 million allocated to rookies)

-Darrius Heyward-Bey – 3 years, 12 million – 3 million cap hit
-I know it’s cheating because he isn’t a free agent yet but his release is almost guaranteed. He adds size and speed and would be a nice addition to the outside.

-Bradley Fletcher – 2 year, 5 million – 2 million cap hit
-Bradley is a larger, physical corner and played well in STL before being replaced by Trumaine Johnson.

-Glenn Dorsey – 1 year, 1.5 million
-Jake Scott – 1 year, 1.5 million
-Lydon Murtha – 1 year, 1.5 million
-Drew Stanton – 1 year, 1 million

NFL Draft

1st – Eric Fisher – OT – CMU
2nd – trade back into the middle of the 2nd, picking up a 4th and a 6th
2nd – Phillip Thomas – S – Fresno St
3rd – Brian Schwenke – C - Cal
4th – (trade) – Cobi Hamilton – WR - Arkansas
4th – (Comp) – Cornelius Washington – DE - Georgia
5th – Kerwynn Williams – HB/KR/PR – Utah State
6th – Colin Klein – QB – Kansas State
6th – (trade) – Quin Sharp – P/K - Oklahoma State
7th – William Campbell – DT - Michigan

2013 Detroit Lions Roster
(not the final 53 but the players at each position that has a chance of making the team, position battle will determine who stays and goes)

QB – Matt Stafford, Drew Stanton, Colin Klein ,Kellen Moore
RB – Mikel LeShoure, Joique Bell, Kerwynn Williams, Jahvid Best
FB – Shaun Chapas
WR – Calvin Johnson, Cobi Hamilton, Ryan Broyles, Kris Durham
WR - Darrius Heyward-Bey, Nate Burleson, Mike Thomas
TE – Brandon Pettigrew, Tony Scheffler, Will Heller
LT – Reilly Reiff, Jason Fox
LG – Rob Sims
C – Brian Schwenke, Bill Nagy
RG – Rodney Austin, Jake Scott
RT – Eric Fisher, Lydon Murtha

DE – Lawrence Jackson, Ronnell Lewis
DT – Ndamukong Suh, Sammie Hill, William Campbell
DT – Nick Fairley, Corey Williams, Glenn Dorsey
DE – Willie Young, Cornileus Washington
OLB – Justin Durant, Tahir Whitehead
MLB – Stephen Tulloch, Ashlee Palmer
OLB – DeAndre Levy, Travis Lewis
CB – Chris Houston, Chris Greenwood, Jonte Green
S – Louis Delmas, Amari Speivey, John Wendling
S – Phillip Thomas, Ricardo Silva, Don Carey
CB – Bradley Fletcher , Ron Bartell, Bill Bentley

K – Jason Hanson
P – Quin Sharp
KR/PR – Kerwynn Williams, Broyles, Burleson, Thomas

Notes –

-The overall goal along the defensive line is to test/use Suh more as a DE. I think he would be a good asset out there and he would produce heavily. First, we have the interior line depth to do it. Corey Williams is still a staple player on our team and produces and Sammie Hill is a good player as well. Moving Suh outside would allow us to give Sammie some more reps in a rotation with Williams (Fairley as the starter). Add in a free agent such as Dorsey and his presence won’t be missed. Second, Suh played outside some during the Green Bay game and manhandled Marshall Newhouse. His bull rush would be too much for a good chunk of tackles. Third, it would be harder to double team him, as you’d have to use a TE. A guard could kick over but if he is playing in a Wide 9 stance, that would be pretty hard to do. Plus it would leave a large gap for a LB blitz or enough room for an agile DT to penetrate. I do have him listed as a DT though so it seems like we are very weak at DE. We’d use a heavy rotation at DE, with Lo Jack being the #1 starter. At some point we are going to have to test these players we acquired in starting roles.

-Linebackers were kept the same and I wouldn’t doubt it if Travis Lewis started pushing for playing time.

- Secondary is improved by the additions of Phillip Thomas and Bradley Fletcher. Ron Bartell played well for us in the last Chicago game and him and Fletcher bring a bigger physicality to the corner position, allowing us to play closer to the receiver (that and the addition of Phillip Thomas). I’m not ready to write off our secondary yet, as we drafted 3 CB last year who had some promise before getting injured. Phillip Thomas should add a ball-hawking safety to the mix and should become an instant starter. The biggest risk I see is the uncertainty of Speivey’s concussion stuff. Another fringe starter should be added if he is unable to go.

-The QB position I took a risk on by releasing Shaun Hill. Matt Stafford has been healthy for two years now and is obviously the future. I would mind us starting to try to develop QB’s under him.

-RB’s, WR’s and TE’s see a few additions to the ranks, giving the offense and Stafford more weapons to turn this into a high powered offense.

-The offensive received a major overhaul and a youth movement. Rob Sims is the only remaining starter. There are going to be a few position battles for starting roles in the interior part of the line. Reiff, Fisher, and Sims are for sure starters but the C and RG positions are up in the air. We have 2 in-house prospects in Bill Nagy and Rodney Austin who have received praise. Add in Schwenke to compete for the starting C position and Jake Scott as a veteran back-up, we should be able to fill 2 positions. It also would be an option to bring back Raiola, Peterman, Backus, Hilliard, or Gandy at much cheaper prices.
tonykola

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where do I start
I hate it all
first either Durant or levy is gone one is good at the pass one at the run we need an upgrade
speivey gone
FA really Dorsey NO
Murtha NO
Stanton NO
bey HELL NO
and your draft after fisher I like may be a bit high like to trade down that pick and the rest of your draft is weak
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong but with the cap allocations haven't you just pushed a significant part of the hit to later years?

If true it simply delays the problem.

I'm no cap expert but the Lions continue to have cap issues and they implement solutions year by year. I would certainly like to see them implement a solution that's doesn't handcuff the team every year.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
ruffryderbiff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
I may be wrong but with the cap allocations haven't you just pushed a significant part of the hit to later years?

I'm no cap expert but the Lions continue to have cap issues and they implement solutions year by year. I would certainly like to see them implement a solution that's doesn't handcuff the team every year.

I'm no cap expert either, otherwise I'd be making a lot more money. From what TheNetRat says, Suh is only owed 3.5 million in salary for the last year of his contract. Moving his salary around is more of evening out his price rather than dodging his owed monies. We are kind of hamstrung cap wise this year, hence no major free agent signings.

As for Stafford's extension, the cap hit would be defered until later but a large amount could be allocated toward the end in a salary or a roster bonus, which would allow us to cut him/ trade him with no penalty. Best case scenario is that we would renegotiate another contract (ala Calvin Johnson's last year). I just said 12 million saved because that was his salary for this year, to make it easy.

And Tulloch's price isn't to detrimental to the team (only guaranteed 1.3 million per year) so adding 1.2 million per year to the guaranteed money wont hurt too much. I assume we are going to re-evaluate his worth by 2015 and 2016 where his cost increases past 5 million per year. Either he's worth it or he is cuttable. As long as they don't keep doing it every year they should be ok.

No matter what though, we need to figure out something out cap-wise if we are going to field any kind of proper team.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:

The cap is suppose to explode with the new TV money coming in over the next couple years. Thus pushing money won't be as big of an issue once that kicks in and the cap goes up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew Stanton won't be coming back. I talked with him in person the year before he became a FA and he hinted at wanting to see the field, and I don't see him taking a pay cut. The Lions also won't carry 4 QB's.

I think you overpaid for Delmas and underpaid for Houston, but that's getting picky.

Team Stylish313
ruffryderbiff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
Drew Stanton won't be coming back. I talked with him in person the year before he became a FA and he hinted at wanting to see the field, and I don't see him taking a pay cut. The Lions also won't carry 4 QB's.

I think you overpaid for Delmas and underpaid for Houston, but that's getting picky.

After being passed around a few times, do you think Stanton still feels that way. He did get passed up for Tebow but who knows, I don't know him personally. He wasn't a big part of the mock anyway, as you could replace him with a number of guys who could manage an offense enough.

And I know we won't roll with 4 QB's. It wasn't really a depth chart but more of a list of guys who could make the 53 at each position (I stated that below the 2013 Detroit Lions Roster headline). I don't think we'd carry 6 safeties or 7 WR's either.

I figured Delmas' contract would be more incentive bonus-filled due to his injury history and you're probably right on Houston. Who knows how much they'll actually ask for. There are some big named CBs coming into free agency this year (most likely) so maybe he'll sign a bit cheaper with supply being up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: