Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers will trade or release QB Alex Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SFaithful97

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popie70 wrote:
Yeah the chiefs are probably the leading candidate. But the 49ers will probably have to release him now. With the story being made public that they are willing to cut him and his contract, most teams will wait for them to cut him.
He is slated to make under 10 million next year. I don't know where the misconception of him having a big contract came from, but it is actually very reasonable for a starting QB. If he hits the free agent market he will sign for that much and maybe a little more.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:
popie70 wrote:
Yeah the chiefs are probably the leading candidate. But the 49ers will probably have to release him now. With the story being made public that they are willing to cut him and his contract, most teams will wait for them to cut him.
He is slated to make under 10 million next year. I don't know where the misconception of him having a big contract came from, but it is actually very reasonable for a starting QB. If he hits the free agent market he will sign for that much and maybe a little more.

There's no guarantee that he'll be starting QB material for another team though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
SFaithful97 wrote:
popie70 wrote:

There's no guarantee that he'll be starting QB material for another team though.
Depends on the team. You really think the Chiefs or Jaguars (and a few others for that matter) have a better option on the roster? Not a chance, even if he plays like he did 3 seasons ago. His success started before Harbaughs arrival when Jimmy Raye was the OC. If the Chiefs (for example) signed him, it would allow them to pass on Geno in the 1st who I believe will not be a good NFL QB from watching him play this year. Even if he were only there on a one or two year deal, he could allow them to look for a guy to be the future and not rush it and waste picks because they need to get a QB. I mean, it did work for Harbaugh right? (in hindsight). Even if you think Geno could be the guy, Smith would allow you to not rush him on the field his first season, which I think most everyone will agree would be a bad move.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
SFaithful97 wrote:
popie70 wrote:

Depends on the team. You really think the Chiefs or Jaguars (and a few others for that matter) have a better option on the roster? Not a chance, even if he plays like he did 3 seasons ago. His success started before Harbaughs arrival when Jimmy Raye was the OC. If the Chiefs (for example) signed him, it would allow them to pass on Geno in the 1st who I believe will not be a good NFL QB from watching him play this year. Even if he were only there on a one or two year deal, he could allow them to look for a guy to be the future and not rush it and waste picks because they need to get a QB. I mean, it did work for Harbaugh right? (in hindsight). Even if you think Geno could be the guy, Smith would allow you to not rush him on the field his first season, which I think most everyone will agree would be a bad move.

I'm not saying pass on Smith because you've got better options. I'm saying pass on trading for Smith cause I wouldn't want to pay $19m over the next two years for a guy who, honestly, is a long shot at being "the guy."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
SFaithful97 wrote:
popie70 wrote:

Well Anyone who trades for him will probobly draft another QB at the top of the 2nd round to compete with him. He will prolly be competing with players like Barkley, Glennon, Nassib, or Mannuel.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
SFaithful97 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
SFaithful97 wrote:
popie70 wrote:

I'm not saying pass on Smith because you've got better options. I'm saying pass on trading for Smith cause I wouldn't want to pay $19m over the next two years for a guy who, honestly, is a long shot at being "the guy."

I was thinking that as well; Any sort of trade for Alex Smith would have to come with a pretty hefty contract restructure. Teams aren't trading for Smith to be "the guy" they're trading for him to keep the seat warm for whoever IS "the guy".

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
kylecumberland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on how well Alex plays...If he plays lights out then he will be the starter as long as he keeps playing well, because he is only 29. his ceiling is Rich Gannon. he will most likely be paired with a 2nd round rookie in this years class so if he doesn't play well then the rookie will play sooner.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on release and then sign him short-term to jacksonville!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone that signs Smith to be a starter is going to have some serious buyer's remorse. This guy is the definition of average - no chace he will succeed without a dominant O line, running game and defense. It is laughable that some team will probably sign him to be their savior at the QB position.

Ironm1ke: "I am a huge Eli supporter, but his 2012 campaign was an epic turd."
mitchconnor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

Any sort of trade for Alex Smith would have to come with a pretty hefty contract restructure. Teams aren't trading for Smith to be "the guy" they're trading for him to keep the seat warm for whoever IS "the guy".

This, exactly. There are several teams who don't have a qb as good as Alex Smith; but if you make him your starter, you're still looking to upgrade the position in the near future.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pierrepet wrote:
Anyone that signs Smith to be a starter is going to have some serious buyer's remorse. This guy is the definition of average - no chace he will succeed without a dominant O line, running game and defense. It is laughable that some team will probably sign him to be their savior at the QB position.
As a Jets fan, I agree 100%. He's a product of Harbaugh's system. When I heard some of the trade ideas from niners fans for Revis, I laughed considering that many seem to think that Smith has 1st round pick value or so.
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
pierrepet wrote:
As a Jets fan, I agree 100%. He's a product of Harbaugh's system. When I heard some of the trade ideas from niners fans for Revis, I laughed considering that many seem to think that Smith has 1st round pick value or so.

I think the only reason smith doesn't have first round value is because the 9ers will have to release him before it comes to that. The 49ers don't have the leverage to get a first but in different circumstances he could be worth as much.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
pierrepet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
pierrepet wrote:

I think the only reason smith doesn't have first round value is because the 9ers will have to release him before it comes to that. The 49ers don't have the leverage to get a first but in different circumstances he could be worth as much.

What? Are you out of your mind? A first for Alex Smith - that is one of the most ridicuous things I have ever heard on this site. He will be holding a clipboard by week 8 next year - he is not any good.

Ironm1ke: "I am a huge Eli supporter, but his 2012 campaign was an epic turd."
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pierrepet wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
pierrepet wrote:

better than at least 12 starting qbs next year in a bad draft class for qbs l, you wouldn't give a conditional first round pick in 2014 for smith? he's not awful and would upgrade a number of teams.
What? Are you out of your mind? A first for Alex Smith - that is one of the most ridicuous things I have ever heard on this site. He will be holding a clipboard by week 8 next year - he is not any good.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex first a 1st? a conditional 1st?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: