Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

tech2186's 2013 Mock Draft/ Offseason (UPDATED)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tech2186

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: tech2186's 2013 Mock Draft/ Offseason (UPDATED) Reply with quote

I'm not a cap genius so I won't get too much into FA signings, but this draft is based on Gonzo retiring and Grimes being resigned.

FA signings: 1.) Dustin Keller (TE) Keller is a decent TE and will come at a bargain since he is coming off a down year. Keller is a decent blocker and a good pass catching TE. With a QB like Ryan, Keller can turn the potential he once showed into something greater. Could be the steal of free agency. (thought about going with Jared Cook, but he will be more expensive coming off a better season.)

2.) Daryl Smith (JAC) - OLB Another Jax connection here. Smith is a great OLB and the fact that he will be 31 will mean he will be cheaper. He will fit in with our scheme and likely be able to allow more versatility than Nicholas and he is better in pass coverage.

2013 Draft:

ROUND 1: Alex Okafor, DE, Texas, Height: 6-4. Weight: 265.

Okafor has had an above average college career and comes from a conference where pass rushing is very important. Fills the DE pass rusher we need and very low risk at the draft position taken. Very strong and can bull rush or get around the edge. Also not bad against the run but his pass rushing is his biggest strength. High character guy and did well in the Senior Bowl practices.

ROUND 2: Larry Warford, G, Kentucky, Height: 6-3. Weight: 340.

We pick in the late 2nd (barring any trades) and I believe we take the best Olineman available. Warford fits what we need to get better at which is running the ball. McClure is done and Konz will move to Center. Warford is a mauler who is also good in pass protection. He killed UGA in the UGA v. KY game and created plenty of running lanes for his RB's all season. Smart pick to sure up the Oline.

ROUND 3: Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA, Height: 6-7. Weight: 258

This seems to me to be some out of the water type of TD pick to me. Yes, we got Keller, but we also need a guy who can potentially take the starting role if Keller is hurt or just is a FA bust. Fauria had 46 receptions for 637 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2012. He was a great redzone target for UCLA and at 6'7 he will be able to out jump nickel CB's and Safeties. He needs to work on run blocking, but he could be a value project if he works out.

ROUND 4: Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech, Height: 6-4. Weight: 232

A WR? Yes, I think this would be the time to grab one. This is exactly what established passing teams do. They keep reloading on the Oline and at WR. I honestly wanted to grab a WR in the 3rd, but TE seemed to be a bigger need. This seems like a dream because TD hasn't drafted a WR in this round before but Davis has been a consistent WR for VT over the past few years. He had 51 receptions for 953 yards and five touchdowns in 2012 for a terrible VT Offense. I think we need someone to push Harry Douglas and he would legitimize our 4 WR sets. Drew Davis just isn't a serious starter and Roddy and Julio have had their injuries. Time to get a bigger slot guy who can also be put on the outside as well. He may also compete for Punt returns and kickoffs as well.

ROUND 4 (COMP PICK): Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida, Height: 5-11. Weight: 209

Here is an intriguing pick. We all know Turner is likely cut and we need a RB. Some people will wonder why not go after a guy like Bell or Montee Ball. Well, Ball has too much college mileage and Bell has issues hitting the hole which is what Turner had. It's time for us to have a RB who can take it 50 yards to the house. Gillislee can do that and more. Great pass catcher and excellent at blitz protection. He could fall here if scouts are concerned about his weight but I think he has shown that he can be a power runner between the tackles. The guy is a leader who has had to sit for a while to earn a starting role in 2012 so I think he will be a high character guy and will be a great fit with JQuizz and Snelling. He killed Fla St with over 24 carries for 140 yards so he can be a premiere back that can carry the load and with our pass happy team, he can give us some balance.

ROUND 5: Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State, DT, Height: 6-1. Weight: 292.

Previously had Daniel McCullers here but adam9 informed me he decided to stay in school, which was a good choice. So I have Hill as the pick. He is projected in rounds 3-5 but I think he could drop here. Hill is a great run defender and def helped the Lions LB's look great all year. HE isn't the biggest pass rusher but he will get into the backfield and make tackles for loss as he had 8 of them in 2012. Great value here and will be much needed depth behind Babs, and Vance Walker.

ROUND 6: Brandon McGee, CB, Miami, Height: 6-0. Weight: 190.

McGee is a decent pick here. He is a good sized CB with great speed. TD has picked late round Miami players before so it isn't a crazy pick. The guy can also compete for punt returns because Franks has to be replaced. Never can have enough CB depth and many speculate that Dunta could be cut so he fits the need.

ROUND 7:Damion Square, DT/DE, Alabama, Height: 6-3. Weight: 286

A lot of 7th round picks don't end up having much of a career but Square is still an interesting pick here. He was very solid for Bama but not a huge play maker. Square has 33 tackles, four tackles for a loss and 3.5 sacks in 2012. He versatile because he could play some DE or DT. If he adds weight he could help out at DT as well. He is def a project who might be cut, but he comes from championship pedigree and his versatility is something that Nolan could find use for.

THOUGHTS? CRITICISMS?

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008

Last edited by tech2186 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Willthethrill_H

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing. The only way I could be happier is if we could get Ziggy Ansah, but odds are he goes around 20. In all, it is very logical and realistic, and I'm a huge fan of drafting Warford in the 2nd and I'd be willing to take Gillislee in the third if we had too. I've quickly grown fond of his speed, acceleration, and agility along with his great vision and willingness to lower his head. Not to mention he played some of the best defenses in college football, and succeeded.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Okafor in the 1st and I like Warford to but we have coffman at TE already and yeah he isn't great but he is servicable so u add Keller and I think you are wasting a pick on TE I think right there is where u go Chase Thomas OLB Stanford or Jelani Jenkins OLB Florida we are really thin IMO at linebacker I think Weatherspoon is the only LB i wouldn't replace because Nicholas is clearly not good enough and Dent is a career back-up , Atlanta knew that so that is why they signed Tatupa. Look our offensive is still very good without Gonzo but our D is what needs the most attention!!!
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we got each of these players i would be beyond excited!! excellent mock my friend! Cool
tech2186

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIZE FALCONS wrote:
I like Okafor in the 1st and I like Warford to but we have coffman at TE already and yeah he isn't great but he is servicable so u add Keller and I think you are wasting a pick on TE I think right there is where u go Chase Thomas OLB Stanford or Jelani Jenkins OLB Florida we are really thin IMO at linebacker I think Weatherspoon is the only LB i wouldn't replace because Nicholas is clearly not good enough and Dent is a career back-up , Atlanta knew that so that is why they signed Tatupa. Look our offensive is still very good without Gonzo but our D is what needs the most attention!!!

I def see where your thought process on that is and I agree. But I have us signing Darryl Smith at OLB in the off season and I think he would be a stop gap for a year or two until we can draft a LB we really want. LB has been phased out a bit in our Defense so I wanted us to get stronger on the Dline. I thought TE in the 3rd just as a safety valve for Keller, because I am not a believer in Coffman. But I def see where you are going.

RIZE FALCONS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
RIZE FALCONS wrote:

I def see where your thought process on that is and I agree. But I have us signing Darryl Smith at OLB in the off season and I think he would be a stop gap for a year or two until we can draft a LB we really want. LB has been phased out a bit in our Defense so I wanted us to get stronger on the Dline. I thought TE in the 3rd just as a safety valve for Keller, because I am not a believer in Coffman. But I def see where you are going.

I like Smith for sure so let me ask u a question , Do we have a LB that cover TE's better is Smith going to be able to cover a guy like Davis or a slot receiver that can run? I like Gillisee at RB but I am very worried about our middle of the field coverage on Defense I think Dent is only decent against the run and Nicholas is the biggest weakest link we have on Defense IMO!!
tech2186

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIZE FALCONS wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
RIZE FALCONS wrote:

I like Smith for sure so let me ask u a question , Do we have a LB that cover TE's better is Smith going to be able to cover a guy like Davis or a slot receiver that can run? I like Gillisee at RB but I am very worried about our middle of the field coverage on Defense I think Dent is only decent against the run and Nicholas is the biggest weakest link we have on Defense IMO!!

To answer your question, I think Smith is one of the most underrated OLB's in the game. He def won't get much press because he plays in Jax but the guy is good. He is excellent in coverage for a LB and I think he will be an upgrade over Nicholas. I think Dent will improve and he showed signs of improving last year. We beef up our Dline and we wont need the greatest coverage LB. You could replace Fauria with a LB and I'd be ok with it, but I think Fauria will be a pretty good TE at the next level. He reminds me of Z. Miller.

RIZE FALCONS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
RIZE FALCONS wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
RIZE FALCONS wrote:

To answer your question, I think Smith is one of the most underrated OLB's in the game. He def won't get much press because he plays in Jax but the guy is good. He is excellent in coverage for a LB and I think he will be an upgrade over Nicholas. I think Dent will improve and he showed signs of improving last year. We beef up our Dline and we wont need the greatest coverage LB. You could replace Fauria with a LB and I'd be ok with it, but I think Fauria will be a pretty good TE at the next level. He reminds me of Z. Miller.

I hope Dent can be what we need and the combo of Smith, Weatherspoon, and Dent would be an upgrade so our lineup on D would be

DE-Okafor
DE-Abraham
DT-Babineaux
DT-Peters
WLB-Weatherspoon
MLB-Dent
SLB-Smith
CB-Grimes
CB-Samuel
FS-Decoud
SS-Moore

I could see this but the main thing if all the picks work out we would have more depth at CB and DT
adam9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCullers is staying in college for his Sr year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
McCullers is staying in college for his Sr year.

I knew you would know, I'll make the change. Thanks.

swoosh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith, Okafor, Warford, Gillislee...all acquisitions I like. Solid mock.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came in here expecting to be disappointed. I'm leaving impressed. Well done.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the Smith signing, but if he comes cheap I'd be alright.

RIP Joe Pa
tech2186

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D0 TH3 D3W wrote:

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the Smith signing, but if he comes cheap I'd be alright.

Glad to surprise you. Hate that you thought I would give a crappy draft lol

D0 TH3 D3W

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
D0 TH3 D3W wrote:

Lol I didn't mean it personally haha. I just haven't been a fan of any other mock offseasons I've seen around here. Laughing

RIP Joe Pa
tech2186

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D0 TH3 D3W wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
D0 TH3 D3W wrote:

Lol I didn't mean it personally haha. I just haven't been a fan of any other mock offseasons I've seen around here. Laughing

Nah its cool man, I feel you Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: