Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

IS REGGIE BUSH THE ANSWER?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karnage_84

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: IS REGGIE BUSH THE ANSWER? Reply with quote

There are several articles that touch on the subject of Reggie Bush being the answer to the Lions 'Jahvid Best' role.

What do you guys think about Bush? Do you think he's the answer or is there a better fit? Can we afford to get him without handcuffing the team?

Sound off!
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's pretty much the perfect fit for that role, but I don't really want to bring him in. First off, he's going to get a big contract, and we're not really in a position to be doling out big contracts. Second of all, he turns 28 in a little over a month, so he's starting to reach that age at which running backs hit the brick wall. In order to bring him here, we'll probably have to give him a long-term contract (4+ years), which will wind up hurting us pretty bad once he hits 30, slows down, and still costs $7+ million against the salary cap.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Karnage_84

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
He's pretty much the perfect fit for that role, but I don't really want to bring him in. First off, he's going to get a big contract, and we're not really in a position to be doling out big contracts. Second of all, he turns 28 in a little over a month, so he's starting to reach that age at which running backs hit the brick wall. In order to bring him here, we'll probably have to give him a long-term contract (4+ years), which will wind up hurting us pretty bad once he hits 30, slows down, and still costs $7+ million against the salary cap.

Can't say I disagree. What are your thoughts on some of the speed backs available in the draft who could fit the role? Any thoughts on who might be comparable to Mr. Bush?
detfan782004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His skill set is 100% what they need. However the name and the $ tag is not going to be a fit.

Detroit needs to find someone in draft or FA who is a smaller name and cost less unfortunately.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Karnage_84

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
His skill set is 100% what they need. However the name and the $ tag is not going to be a fit.

Detroit needs to find someone in draft or FA who is a smaller name and cost less unfortunately.

Who would be your top 3 targets other than Bush to fit this role? What about getting Bush and drafting a guy in the 4th or 5th to develop behind him who can also fit on special teams for now?
detfan782004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karnage_84 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Who would be your top 3 targets other than Bush to fit this role? What about getting Bush and drafting a guy in the 4th or 5th to develop behind him who can also fit on special teams for now?

Money wise it will be tough. I am not saying any of these guys are REggie Bush or could impact as much but they can help.

Guys who I would target in draft would be

Denard Robinson--round 4 or later only.

Barner-- round 4 or later

Michael- A&M- round 6 or later

Thompson- FSU- round 6 or later---coming off injury

Wingo- Arkansas-- UDFA?--not sure exactly if he fits this role but I like his game. He is kind of a big back for being fast

Free Agents is a bit tougher

Danny Woodhead probably will be a cheaper option while not sexy option

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Lionsforlife99

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather take a flier on Kenjon Barner in the later rounds in all honesty.
Karnage_84

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionsforlife99 wrote:
I would rather take a flier on Kenjon Barner in the later rounds in all honesty.

I love Barner. Wonder if he'd be capable of being relied on to carry the ball and gain yards after contact though. Word on him from the Senior Bowl was that he was stopped as soon as contact was made. Small at 188 lbs.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionsforlife99 wrote:

I would also.

Another problem that I have with Reggie is that he didn't return punts last year. If the Lions are bringing him in for the money that he'll want then he better be returning punts and not just catching passes and adding some speed out of the backfield. But, he's going to be way too expensive. I'd rather draft Barner for that role.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find a player available to fit that type of role better this offseason. I actually hope we sign him. Just not to a rediculous offer.
CJ4life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get him for the right price I think he's definitely the perfect fit for you guys. He's 27, but he doesn't really have that much tread on his tires so he should last a little longer than the average 30-year old brick wall that most runners encounter.

driftwood wrote:
haggis wrote:
i bet if you had sould after he jumped a little cough here and there usually follow

lol, wait what?
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love him or Tavon Austin
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
EhJae

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
I'd love him or Tavon Austin

I concur.
#71 Riley Reiff
stylish313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
I can't find a player available to fit that type of role better this offseason. I actually hope we sign him. Just not to a rediculous offer.
Same here, for $4-$5M per season I'd reel him in no doubt. This team needs legit weapons, and Bush is definitely that.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would he want to be reduced to a role when hes shown he can be an every down back? I believe he wants to start. And I believe he wants much more money than we would be willing to pay for a change of pace back.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: