Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Barrett Jones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Barrett Jones Reply with quote

Overshadowed by his higher profile teammates at Alabama, offensive linemen Barrett Jones has been the forgotten man so far in this year’s pre-draft process. Jones played Right Guard, Left Tackle, and most recently Center during his career as a four-year starter for the Crimson Tide. Jones won the Outland Trophy while playing Left Tackle in 2011 and was awarded the 2012 Rimington Trophy as the nation’s top Center. He was also a Unanimous All-American in 2011 and 2012 and his coach Nick Saban, has publicly compared Jones to NFL Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews, whom Saban became familiar with while working as a member of the Houston Oilers coaching staff from 1988-1989.

The 6’5”, 311 pound Jones is a technically proficient blocker who has consistently played well against elite competition in the SEC. He’s good at getting to second-level blocks and displays excellent fundamentals in all facets of his game. Jones is a Day One starter in the NFL and could play either guard position, Right Tackle, or Center. His versatility would be a huge plus as the Rams have questions all along the Offensive Line. His experience at Center could prove especially important going forward as Scott Wells, who signed a four-year $24 million dollar contract in 2012, recently underwent a second surgery on his right knee. Wells has now had three surgeries in the last nine months, with two on his knee and one to repair a broken left foot.

In addition to his versatility and blocking skills, Jones has great intangibles as he is a fiery competitor and leader who currently boasts a 4.0 GPA. His toughness was also on display this season when he played the last five weeks on the season, including the BCS National Championship Game, with torn ligaments in his foot.

Jones recently had surgery on his injured foot which will cause him to miss all the pre-draft events. He was already considered a second round pick by most experts, and without the ability to significantly improve his stock during the pre-draft process, Jones should be available for the Rams at #46. While not a flashy pick, Jones is a solid player with a high floor who I think would be a great addition for Fisher and the Rams.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Griz on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At #46, I certainly wouldn't complain. But he's a spot starter at OT. Doesn't have the feet to play in space vs. NFL talent. But he can play any of the 3 positions on the interior and will give you very steady, good play. Can be great at Center. Probably only good at OG because he doesn't blow guys off the ball. Injuries are a concern though.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually considering putting him in my mock in the 2nd round, as a good versatile Olineman seems like a very appealing prospect for us. Could play guard next year and, when Wells moves on/retires, take over and have pro bowl potential at center. Good prospect in my eyes.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
DistantRam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
Could play guard next year and, when Wells moves on/retires, take over and have pro bowl potential at center.

Exactly my thoughts. Wells is 32 and has just had three operations in the last year; he's probably only got a couple of years left at the top level and Jones could be groomed as his replacement.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love Barrett Jones to be a Ram.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
Griz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its been awhile since I posted so I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: