Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My Attempt at an offseason :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flipperscs20921

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: My Attempt at an offseason :) Reply with quote

Hello fellow posters!

Now be gentle!!!

I’ve been seeing a lot of mocks lately, most with some serious trades and such.

While the new CBA and the rookie wage scale within in now encourages trading, I just do not see a player worth trading up for in the top 10.

With that in mind…here is my take on the Lions offseason.

(FYI-I’m by no means a cap master so I will not post figures)

Offseason signings & releases/let walk

Cliff Avril-Will not be retained. This has more to do with his attitude last offseason as well as this one. I don’t believe his is 100% bought in. He gets sacks and fumbles but the question is, is he worth 10M+ yearly. I do not believe this is the case. (Walk)

Lawrence Jackson-Provides good depth however what price tag is he going to command?. (Walk)

Chris Houston-Is going to get paid, whether is it us or someone else is just a formality. He needs to stay healthy but is a solid corner. (Resigned)

DeAndre Levy- Our version of homegrown talent. Was having a solid year until the hammy. It is going to come down to him or Durant being resigned and I think Durant wins that battle. (Not resigned)

Justin Durant- Had a decent year, has deficiencies but who doesn’t in our LB corps. I believe he gets resigned for his veteran presence and cheaper price tag vs. Levy. (Resigned)

Sammie Lee Hill- Good player and has upside…on the right side of 26..brings youth on the DL.(Resigned)

Louis Delmas- What bad things can I say about Delmas? He plays his heart out but he just cannot stay healthy…is he going to get a chance with someone else, maybe…I think it is time to move on from him.(Not resigned)

Corey Williams- Has to go…good solid player. His cap figure is going to have to be very, very low for him to stay and I must say. I’ve met him and he doesn’t seem like the man to take vet minimum to stay here.(Not resigned)

Jason Hanson- What is there to say? (Resigned)

Don Muhlback- Probowl!!!! (Resigned)

Will Heller- ST/Depth (Resigned)

Tony Scheffler- Good player…shows his passion for the game on every
down. Is he a starter? I don’t think so but he is worth 2ndTE/Flex money.
(Resigned)

Kassim Osgood-ST guy…need more like him (Resigned)

Gosder Cherilus- Need to resign this man…not a probowler but look who he plays next to.

Jeff Backus- I think he is still solid, however at his cap figure and a 1st rounder behind him…he has to go. (Waived)

Kevin Smith- (Resigned)

Stefan Logan-(Resigned)

Dylan Gandy-(Resigned)

Corey Hillard-(Resigned)

Andre Fluellen-(Resigned)

Erik Coleman, Jacob Lacey, Drayton Florence, Pat Lee, Nick Harris- Are not resigned

Titus Young- I think we cut him. What do we gain… he is not tradable... He clearly doesn’t want to be here and will only take to social media to voice his displeasure. (Waived)

Restricted Free Agents:

Willie Young-I would place a 3rd round tender on him…if someone wants him for that kind of money and pick, he is all yours.

Amari Speivey-Cannot stay healthy. I’m sure he is a good guy but the NFL is not a feel good business.

Jason Fox- Have to let go has proven nothing in his time and does not like to stay healthy.

Joique Bell-Would place a 2nd round tender on him—nuff said/

Shawn Chapas, Ricardo Silva & Kris Durham are all resigned with lowest tender possible.

Restructure:

Ndamukong Suh-we really need to resign this man however at this moment he needs to move his cap figure into a bonus.

Mattress Stafford (Yes, Mattress…he goes down so easy lol)- I really like Matt… I think we had a bad year and everyone including myself are piling on top of him. I think he is a victim of the “hero” syndrome. We resign him to some sort of 6yr 80-100M dollar deal.

Nate Burleson- I think he restructures just to allow the team some more wiggle room

BigPlayCJ (LOL)- Where were the fades this year Linehan? Moves some of that cap figure into a bonus.

KVB-Not worth his salary however not only is he a veteran but he has scheme experience...needs to take a pay cut and produce in a limited role.

Offteam/Free Agent Signings

Laron Landry- I’m somewhat biased on this however I really like this dude. He lays the wood can cover and has a tenacious attitude when he is on the field. I believe the lions need to capitalize on this “dirty” feel everyone labels us with… if they think we play very, very physical.

Isreal Idonje- Yes, a bears guy. He plays well…doesn’t mind playing in the 3 technique on some plays..we need talent on this line.. he has some wear on him… I think he comes cheap just to stay in the north.

Draft
As if now, we currently have picks #5, 36, 65, 132, 163, 197 as of 1/31/13

Pick 5-I really want Damontre Moore, he has proven himself in 2 different schemes and is IMO the most talented pass rusher in the draft. I will say that he has problems with law already, so with that being said….

Bjorn Werner has to be the pick.

He plays with the highest motor around…. He gets to the QB, plays the run and likes contact. This is the pick we need to make.

Pick 36-Who’s available? I do not think Barrett Jones will be available here nor do I think Larry Warford makes it. With that in mind I believe we have no choice but to go…

Alex Okafor-DE, Texas

He has played LDE for Texas…plays with his hands and I like what I saw at the SB. Now before I get crucified I would like to state that if you look at successful teams…they all have one thing in common. They get to the QB. I would really like to fit a Safety, Corner or OL into here…I just can’t find one that is worth the pick over Okafor. I’m not the biggest fan on the Wide-9 but if we are going to play it we might as well have some talent to put in it.

Pick 65- Well since we have addressed the D-Line… I think the next logical pick is

Kyle Long-OG, Oregon

It’s no secret that Oregon’s O-line is very athletic... I think this kid is solid. He comes from a football family and could play Tackle or Guard. Ideally I would like him to play RG but if he can show he is a better player than Gosder so be it.

Pick 132-P Brad Wing, LSU

This kid can flat out kick the ball! He got suspended for the LSU bowl game and it is a bit hypocritical for me to dog Damonster and pick him but with us need a punter, it seems like a no brainer for me.

Pick 163-WR Aaron Malette, Elon

Small school kid, big bodied and could be a pretty good pickup depending on his measurables.

Pick 197-RB Knile Davis, Arkansas

Good Prospect… plays very well…. Has all the physical tools…. I think he falls because of that ankle injury.. I don’t know why but NFL teams always run away from RB’s with leg injuries.

Projected Depth Chart

QB-Mattress Stafford, Shaun Hill, Kellen Moore
RB-Mikel Leshoure, Joique Bell, Kevin Smith, Knile Davis
FB-Shaun Chapas
WR-CJ, Burleson, Mike Thomas, Ryan Broyles, Aaron Malette, Stefan Logan
TE-Pettigrew, Scheffler, Heller, Muhlback(LS)
LT-Reiff, Hillard
LG-Sims,Nagy
C-Raiola, Gandy
RG-Kyle Long, Peterman
RT-Gosder, Hillard
LDE-Alex Okafor, Isreal Idonje, Willie Young
UT-Suh, Andre Fluellen, Isreal Idonje
NT-Fairley, SLH
RDE-Bjorn Werner, KVB, Willie Young
WLB-Travis Lewis, Ashlee Palmer
MLB-Stephen Tulloch, Ashlee Palmer
SLB-Justin Durant, Tahir Whitehead
CB-Houston, Green, Greenwood
FS-Don Carey, Silva, Wendling
SS-Landry, Silva, Wendling
CB-Bentley, Bartell, Greenwood
P-Brad Wing
K-Jason Hanson
KR-Thomas, Davis,
PR- Thomas, Davis

Please let me know what you think!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: