Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Julio Jones > Calvin Johnson?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Julio Jones > Calvin Johnson? Reply with quote

Detroit Lions WR Calvin Johnson isn't better than Atlanta Falcons' Julio Jones, according to Gil Brandt

Quote:
Brandt, who currently appears on SiriusXM NFL Radio, said Atlanta Falcons receiver Julio Jones and Johnson are the league's top receivers. However, Brandt believes Jones is better than Johnson.

"Not to be flippant about it, but I think some people like strawberry ice cream and some people like vanilla. They're both pretty good," Brandt said. "Some like red heads and some like blondes. They're good. I think if you took 10 people, probably six of the 10 would take Johnson, and four, including myself, would take Julio Jones.

"I just think the whole package. I like Julio a little bit better than Johnson."

Quote:
Brandt, former VP of Player Personnel for the Dallas Cowboys, believes statistics prove his argument.

Johnson had 1,964 receiving yards and five touchdowns this season compared to Jones' 1,198 yards and 10 touchdowns. Despite the 766-yard differential, Brandt's assistant used STATS ICE to prove why Jones is better.

According to the website, Johnson dropped 11 passes compared to Jones' eight. Johnson dropped five passes on third-down compared to Jones' two. However, Johnson had 21 explosive plays (25-yards or more) compared to 14 for Jones.

"I think that 'A', Julio's got better hands," Brandt said. "I think that he's got stronger hands is what he has. I think he's a little more fluid than Johnson is. I think Johnson is faster. I think Johnson is just a little bit taller. Julio has less drops than Johnson."

What do you think of his opinion?

Who do you think is the best receiver right now in the NFL?
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not foolish IMO. Julio Jones is 4 years younger so if you're building a team and looking long term he's a sensible pick at WR.

I think right now though Calvin Johnson is easily the best WR. Nobody else at the position has his size and speed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
It's not foolish IMO. Julio Jones is 4 years younger so if you're building a team and looking long term he's a sensible pick at WR.

I think right now though Calvin Johnson is easily the best WR. Nobody else at the position has his size and speed.

I think this is fair, especially if you're building for a 10 year run. However, if I had to pick for the short term it would be Calvin hands down. Maybe I'm just a homer (I'm not even from Detroit lol) but he is absolutely the best WR in the league and likely to be top 5 ever when all is said and done.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Calvin had Roddy White to let him see less coverage like Julio

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karnage_84 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

I think this is fair, especially if you're building for a 10 year run. However, if I had to pick for the short term it would be Calvin hands down. Maybe I'm just a homer (I'm not even from Detroit lol) but he is absolutely the best WR in the league and likely to be top 5 ever when all is said and done.

Ten years is a long stretch, that would put Calvin at 37/38ish at the end of that stretch, but I think I'd still go with Calvin if we were picking between the two. Calvin is such a workout warrior and an athletic freak that if he can improve his route running as he ages he could play into his late 30's at a high level pretty easily as long as he doesn't get any major injuries/concussion problems along the way and still has the desire.

Both are very, very good though. I'd still give Calvin the edge, but I'd probably put Julio somewhere in my top 5-ish.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:

That was my first thought as well. No one has coverage like Calvin so in all reality it's impossible to compare him to anyone.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

That was my first thought as well. No one has coverage like Calvin so in all reality it's impossible to compare him to anyone.

Roddy had a lot of 1 on 1. Plus Gonzo in middle of field kept safety up too.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
rocket

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I love when people compare recievers is when they don't compare the coverages they get.

NO ONE IN THE NFL SEES THE TYPE OF COVERAGES CJ GETS.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this guy new thing to make outragous claims that can possible come true?

Andrew Luck better than Peyton Manning will be his next big thing...

Like common. I love Julio Jones and honestly think he's in the top 5 class. But I don't think anyone has the all arounds that Calvin Johnson has.

Calvin Johnson
Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
AJ Green
Julio Jones

Last edited by Jrugges on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
Karnage_84 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

Ten years is a long stretch, that would put Calvin at 37/38ish at the end of that stretch, but I think I'd still go with Calvin if we were picking between the two. Calvin is such a workout warrior and an athletic freak that if he can improve his route running as he ages he could play into his late 30's at a high level pretty easily as long as he doesn't get any major injuries/concussion problems along the way and still has the desire.

Both are very, very good though. I'd still give Calvin the edge, but I'd probably put Julio somewhere in my top 5-ish.

Eh... WR's like Calvin don't usually last very long without a major decline. Randy Moss is the best comparison to Calvin given size and speed, and Moss is almost a complete nonfactor at the age of 35. It's usually the precision route runners that last into their mid-late 30's. I give Calvin 5 more years until he's not really a major factor anymore.
CJ4life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:

Eh... WR's like Calvin don't usually last very long without a major decline. Randy Moss is the best comparison to Calvin given size and speed, and Moss is almost a complete nonfactor at the age of 35. It's usually the precision route runners that last into their mid-late 30's. I give Calvin 5 more years until he's not really a major factor anymore.

Because of Calvin's work ethic, I think he's gonna be a factor for a lot longer than Randy Moss. His dedication to his craft should continue to improve his route running skills, so that when his athleticism finally starts to fade, he'll still be a threat in the middle of the field.

driftwood wrote:
haggis wrote:
i bet if you had sould after he jumped a little cough here and there usually follow

lol, wait what?
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy into the best player argument really. It's really hard to determine when each player receives benefit or is hindered by those around him.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Controversy sells, even if you don't really believe what you are saying.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

That and the 3 drops aren't a huge difference, especially considering how much harder Stafford throws. He also had nerve damage in his arms, so yeah. Calvin > Julio all day (and I'm a huge Julio fan)
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was Keyshawn Johnson who said he would play another 10 years if he had Megatron's hands.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: