Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jerry Rice: Calvin for MVP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Jerry Rice: Calvin for MVP Reply with quote

Detroit Lions WR Calvin Johnson could have been league MVP, according to Jerry Rice

Quote:
Rice said Johnson could have been named the NFL's Most Valuable Player if Detroit finished with a winning record this season. Johnson broke Rice's single-season receiving record with 1,964 yards, plus five touchdowns, but Detroit finished 4-12 and did not have any wins against NFC North opponents.

"I think if he had a winning season, he would have been in the most valuable player race," said Rice, who is currently promoting SAP's sport analytic software. "When you are not having a winning season, teams are going to play you differently. Talent wise, one of the best receivers I have seen in a long time that's big, fast, can out-jump you, that's not afraid to go across the middle. All the tools are there.

Quote:
"It's just now surrounding this guy with players that are going to take some pressure off him. And Matthew Stafford, giving him an offensive line where he has time to stand back there, throw the football, but you never want to knock down a record or something like that. I think it was great for him to be able to break the record, to do all of that, even though they didn't have a winning season."

Quote:
"Without a doubt, he's the best receiver in the league right now," Rice said. "I think this guy is going to be around a long time. He has a good work ethic, a good head on his shoulders, and he's going to try to bring it every year. I expect him to be around a long time."

If the Lions had a winning season would you consider Calvin for MVP?

Team Stylish313
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my heart, yes. In my head, no.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
LION KING

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO

When does this argument end who was the better pick for us Calvin or A P?

Lions fans need to get over the Jealously we have a great wide out in Calvin Johnson but Minn has the best back in the NFL and time and time again I have said no fricking Wide out is better then a Franchise Back!

End of debate Peterson won MVP not Johnson, I clearly one of the only Lion fans that actually have and does see the truth we were better off with Peterson then Johnson take off the rose colored HOMER GLASSES!

Just saying and been saying it! Wink

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LION KING wrote:
LMAO

Lions fans need to get over the Jealously we have a great wide out in Calvin Johnson but Minn has the best back in the NFL and time and time again I have said no fricking Wide out is better then a Franchise Back!

End of debate Peterson won MVP not Johnson, I clearly one of the only Lion fans that actually have and does see the truth we were better off with Peterson then Johnson take off the rose colored HOMER GLASSES!

Nobody even mentioned Peterson yet. Give it a rest. You are only one continuing to bring this argument up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LION KING wrote:
LMAO

Shocked NBT? That you? Wink

Well there's no question Peterson was deserving of the MVP, but you have to wonder show many years he's capable of that type of play, especially as a running back. I'll take Calvin over AD just cause receivers last longer.

Team Stylish
ahoda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No HB will ever succeed with the non run blocking OLine we have.
LION KING

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahoda wrote:

I bet the Lions offense would be better with Peterson and Stafford then Calvin and Stafford!!

See its easy too say and its an opinion give me the best back in the League he will make my passing game better and Stafford would improve with a threat at running back getting a defense to stack the line with 8 or 9 men in a the box allowing Stafford to get one on one everywhere across the board!

Yet I would take that franchise back every time the argument is moot about how many years Peterson will play he is well on his way to over 10 years in the NFL just keep counting them as we go.

detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a Calcin vs AP thread. AP wasn't even mentioned by OP.

This is would Calvin be MVP if they had a winning record thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:

The question is moot really what does Calvin have to do with A P getting the MVP nothing but someone wanting a debate about what if and again its moot A P is better then Calvin and people need to get over it!

A P won MVP not Calvin the real question that should be asked is did the LIONS SCREW UP ?? Wink

YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LION KING wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

The question is moot really what does Calvin have to do with A P getting the MVP nothing but someone wanting a debate about what if and again its moot A P is better then Calvin and people need to get over it!

A P won MVP not Calvin the real question that should be asked is did the LIONS SCREW UP ?? Wink

And the answer is no. Move to Minnesota ya hoser
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin would have won MVP and OPOY if we made the playoffs.

CWood21 wrote:
This anti-Teddy crap is getting out of hand.

R.I.P. Stylish
ahoda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LION KING wrote:
ahoda wrote:

I bet the Lions offense would be better with Peterson and Stafford then Calvin and Stafford!!

See its easy too say and its an opinion give me the best back in the League he will make my passing game better and Stafford would improve with a threat at running back getting a defense to stack the line with 8 or 9 men in a the box allowing Stafford to get one on one everywhere across the board!

Yet I would take that franchise back every time the argument is moot about how many years Peterson will play he is well on his way to over 10 years in the NFL just keep counting them as we go.

The WRs on this team already get 1 on 1 coverage adn can't do anything. Without CJ, this offensive system in place is worthless. Peterson wouldn't have nearly the same success in Detroit as he does in Minny.
LION KING

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL we keep hearing that but A P is the whole offense in Minny he has no one else to help him unlike Calvin who has Stafford !!

I find it humorous the lack of respect A P gets from Lion fans the true fan knows greatness and its not just because the dude wears your home jersey.

I think Calvin Johnson is the best wide out in the game right now and I also feel A P is bye far the best player in the league don't matter what team he plays on its just a fact its clear he won MVP for a reason.

Maybe Calvin will get a MVP of the league we shall all see soon and we all will be grateful if and when he does win it because odds are Stafford might be in the running for it as well because were going to the SUPER BOWL.

We can only hope ! Wink

diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:

I expect had that been the case it would be more likely Stafford would be in the conversation.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
LION KING

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I expect had that been the case it would be more likely Stafford would be in the conversation.

Exactly no wide out is ever mentioned with out mentioning the QB first in almost every sentence FLACO won Super Bowl MVP but J Jones should of maybe got it but nope the quarter back is always the key to the success to the big plays made bye the wide out in everyone eyes outside of Calvin that's then it has nothing to do with the QB !! Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: