Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Can someone dominate the NFL like Bolt/LBJ/Messi/etc.?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iknowcool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Can someone dominate the NFL like Bolt/LBJ/Messi/etc.? Reply with quote

Somewhere else, there was a talk of who might be the best athlete in the world (this in regards to their accomplishments in their sport, not their athleticism). You have Usain Bolt, who holds the top 3 spots in the all-time men's 100. You have LeBron James, who has been the best player in the game for a very long time now and the only person that can stop him is him. You have Messi who is only 25 years old and yet his accomplishments are endless and has won the FIFA Ballon D'Or for four straight years. These guys are far and away the best at what they do. If you go historically, you have guys like MJ, Gretzky, etc.

So basically, is it at all possible that there will ever be someone who can dominate the NFL in the way those guys do in their sports? The way football is structured seems like it'd be impossible. You have a guy like Rice who is arguably the GOAT but even he didn't have that kind of dominate play. We've really yet to see a quarterback who can match a totally unmatched dominance. Even Aaron Rodgers can be neutralized.

I ask this more because I think it might be a bit unfair to football players when the discussion arises because of it seeming more difficult to dominate the game the way those guys do. So could it ever be a possible? Say a LeBron James-kind of athlete times 2 entered the league, would even he be able to just outright dominate?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not because football is so much more of a team sport than the rest. It's not hard for Lebron James to singlehandedly take over a game because of how continuous it is (i.e. he can realistically touch the ball once every 20ish seconds), same with soccer, it's a continuous flow so if Messi gets the ball, he can work his magic.

In football though, even if, say, there was a receiver who was a complete freak, his success is still so dependent on the QB, the OL, and the playcall. The other guys you mentioned can freelance more and turn their game into more of a one-on-one battle (Messi a bit less so) than a football player could.

Thanks, Tzimisce
reckless123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many positions in the NFL, so it would be hard to dominate the entire league. There are dominant players at their position though. But if there were a position that would dominate the league, it would have to be QB and the only people i see that being are Aaron Rodgers and Cam Newton but even that in itself is difficult. Guys like lebron and Messi are on the playing field or court all the time, so they have more impact.

"Champagne"..."Mountain Range"..."Hugs".
lionslicer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never. No player will play all phases of the game, so they can't dominate the whole league.

But even then, if someone could kick 70 yard field goals, play quarterback as good as Brady and play linebacker like Ray Lewis, it would still be very hard to dominate the game because he'd still have to rely on his team to do what he can't. He can't throw the ball to himself. He can only cover so much of the field, he can't pass block or rush the passer, etc.
titwio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Aaron Rodgers 2011-12 season was as dominant as any one those guys. The problem with football is it's harder to sustain dominance being it's a contact sport and guys wear down quicker and don't last as long.

As far as football goes though in terms of dominance the names are probably guys like Calvin, Rodgers or Peterson but it's still probably not the same.

Last edited by titwio on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Hutson

Probably not anymore.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, do you really think that LeBron is that much better than Durrant, Melo or Kobe (a couple years ago?) or add your favorite player?

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Nbanflguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Also, do you really think that LeBron is that much better than Durrant, Melo or Kobe (a couple years ago?) or add your favorite player?

Yes.. Yes he is
JDKing14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

Lebron is literally phenomal at every aspect of the game aside from outside shooting, which he makes up for by being able to get to the basketball at will. He's an incredible scorer, he's an incredible passer, he's an incredible rebounder, he's an incredible defensive player, and he just controls the game in every facet. No one can match his overall impact on the game. Not Durant. Not Kobe. Especially not Melo. No one.

He's truly one of the all time greats, and by the time he retires his career will reflect that.
reckless123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

Yes. He is that much better. Durant is a better pure scorer than Lebron and that is about it and the gap between their scoring isnt that wide. You also have to remember, lebron is a pass first guy that can score at least 40 when he wants. So yes the gap is that wide.

reckless123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDKing14 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

Lebron is literally phenomal at every aspect of the game aside from outside shooting, which he makes up for by being able to get to the basketball at will. He's an incredible scorer, he's an incredible passer, he's an incredible rebounder, he's an incredible defensive player, and he just controls the game in every facet. No one can match his overall impact on the game. Not Durant. Not Kobe. Especially not Melo. No one.

He's truly one of the all time greats, and by the time he retires his career will reflect that.

I dont wanna turn this into a basketball debate but he has improved in his shooting as well. And i agree with everything you just said.

tom cody

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because football players have many more players to compete with than those guys you listed.
JDKing14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
JDKing14 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

I dont wanna turn this into a basketball debate but he has improved in his shooting as well. And i agree with everything you just said.

He's improved tremendously, but I'm still hesitant to call his outside shooting phenomenal.
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's impossible simply because of the nature of the sport.

The only way I can see it being close is with a defensive lineman, and I don't know if it's really possible.

Quote:
He's an incredible scorer, he's an incredible passer, he's an incredible rebounder, he's an incredible defensive player, and he just controls the game in every facet.

That's going pretty far. He's definitely not an "incredible rebounder", and although he's definitely a contributor on defense, he's not an "incredible defensive player". An incredible defensive player is someone like Andre Iguodala, or prime Eric Snow or Bruce Bowen or Shane Battier, or Ben Wallace, who were asked to do it and did it every single game.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain

Last edited by Mossburg on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
JDKing14 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

Not my intent either. And he is the best in the league, I was just curious if that was dominant or just the best (if that makes sense).

mistakebytehlak wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: