Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

S&B88's 2012-2013 Mock Offseason V2.0
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: S&B88's 2012-2013 Mock Offseason V2.0 Reply with quote

***Disclaimer***
This time around, I went for more of a realistic approach.

V1: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=506972

And we’re off.

Coaching:

These Guys

Re-signing period:

Raiders FAs:

Retained:
Phillip Adams - Flashing some playmaking ability. Worth keeping as a dimeback and ST guy to see how he develops. 2 year deal.
Desmond Bryant - Definitely a solid rotational piece at least and should come relatively cheap. 4 year deal.
Omar Gaither - Good depth. Average and versatile. 1 year deal.
Mike Goodson - RBBC guy. Can produce in a ZBS or PBS. 2 year deal.
Derek Hagan – Solid vet option with good hands. 1 year deal. Could cut in TC.
Joselio Hanson – Good enough to keep around for slot cb work. I want to work on upgrading our worst spots before getting rid of the average guys. 1 year deal.
Mike Mitchell – Hasn’t been that bad. Can blitz, can do ST and has passion. 1 year deal.
Brandon Myers – Exceeded everyone’s expectations. I don’t understand why anyone wants to move away from a cheap option at TE who’s capable of 70+ catches. 3 year deal.
Jeremy Stewart – Has made the most of his chances. Back to the PS on a 1 year deal.
Philip Wheeler – One of the more polarizing players on our team. I believe he makes at least as many plays as he gives up, which makes him average in my book. I’d rather focus upgrading on positions that are eyesores than where we’re average. I like his energy and he does create turnovers sometimes. 2 year deal.
Andre Carter – Old but we need the experience at RE. He looked like he had a little left as a rotational guy at the end of the year. 1 year deal.
Alex Parsons – Depth
Brandian Ross – ST and depth

Let Walk:
Khalif Barnes – Average run blocker. Below average pass blocker. Dumb penalties.
Owen Schmitt – Sucks at blocking and is around for no other reason
Rashawn Jackson – Who? With our injuries at RB how was he never even mentioned?
Shane Lechler – He deserves to play for a winner, we have King and we’re going to be strapped for cash
Matt Leinart – We’ll always have that first Rose Bowl, buddy.
Cooper Carlisle – Old. Ineffective.
Jamie Cumbie – Never thought anything of him.
Kaelin Burnett – Just because. Need room on the roster for better players.
Matt Shaughnessy – For the right salary, I'd keep him at LE. But I don't see him settling for what he's worth. Especially for a bottom 3 team.
Shawntae Spencer – Was he ever even average any where he played? On our team he sucked and he’s old.
Matt Giordano – Its time. Stu 2.0.

Cut:
Rolando McClain – Duh.
Tommy Kelly – Duh.
Travis Goethal - Can't stay healthy and isn't good at ST even.
Darrius Heyward-Bey – Expendable and nobody is trading for that contract.
Dave Tollefson – Old. Ineffective.
Mike Brisiel – It saves us money and he sucks anyway. Old and a ZBS guy. Best case scenario with him would be Cooper Carlisle 2.0. Ew.

Free Agency:

Sammie Lee Hill, DT, from Detroit Lions
I always wanted us to pick him in 2009. Have had my eye on him since he was drafted. 4 year deal.

King Dunlap, RT from Philadelphia
Cheap stopgap. Planning on Bergstrom fighting him for the RT spot, his natural position. 2 year deal.

Mike Jenkins, CB from Dallas
He’s a gamble, but is still young with potential and should come in cheap.

Matt Slauson, LG from New York Jets
A better pass blocker than run blocker. He was solid in Sparano’s PBS in New York and should be a good fit here.

Derek Cox, CB from Jacksonville
He’s a gamble too, due to injuries. But he’s played well when healthy and we can nickel and dime him because of injury concerns. Reggie has stated “You don’t sign someone thinking they’ll get injured”. What this says to me is that he isn’t afraid of making this move. Olson may be able to provide some insight.

Kellen Clemens, QB, from St. Louis
We need a 3rd stringer. He’ll come cheap and we could do worse.

Draft:

Assume: Two 6th round compensatory picks.

Round 1:

1. Kansas City Chiefs – Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia

Not worth the #1, but they really don’t have that many pressing needs. The pick makes sense since QB is such an important position and Smith could fit really well with Andy Reid. They have a new FO and they’ll want a new face of the franchise. I could see Star as a 3-4 DE but I don’t think they’re that stupid to do that with a 1st overall pick.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars – Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah

Alualu hasn’t quite panned out as the difference maker they envisioned when they picked him 9th overall. Terrance Knighton is a FA and probably going to want more than they Jags will want to spend on an aging NT. Especially since they have a new FO. Star is the consensus best DT in the draft and pairing him with Alualu should make both more effective.

3. Oakland Raiders – Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M

We desperately need a pass rusher. This is the range he’s expected to go in. We need to crush this pick and he’s the safest pick here. I think we’ll trade down on draft day in real life, but I can’t predict how or where here and now. So staying at #3, I think Moore is our best bet. He’s safe and has plenty of potential. I like his technique as a pass rusher and he’s solid versus the run as well. He can play some rush LB too, which is key as I think we’re going to be looking into hybrid looks this season or the future at least. He might need to add some weight, but I’m comfortable with this pick in this scenario. Especially since we just picked up his DL coach from Texas A&M for additional insight.

Round 3:

Bacarri Rambo, FS, Georgia

What!? A safety?! The hell? I don’t even. You suck. I hate you.Yeah, I went safety here. Why? Huff’s gonna get old soon. And his contract is out of whack. We cut Gio in this mock so we need a back up FS. Not to mention, there could always be a situation where Huff plays CB again. Doubtful, but still possible.

But enough of talking about why I made this pick for reasons besides Rambo. He’s instinctive. He has good ball skills. He has proper size and tackles well. Takes good angles (I’m looking at you, Gio). And he can lay the wood at times. He stood out to me in the Senior Bowl. I think I read that Allen apparently seemed to like him and I think with his DB background, he can mold him into a baller.

Round 4:

Jon Bostic, MLB, Florida

I liked what Bostic brought to Florida’s D. He was the core guy there, the kind of guy we need in the middle of our defense. Bostic is very instinctive, very physical and a good tackler. Takes on blocks well and can still drag a runner down while being blocked instead of just getting taken out of the play unlike some people. And he can blitz. He’s a little aggressive, but Tarver can coach him up. He could take over for Gaither over the course of the season. He’d be good on ST in the mean time. My only concern would be he might not drop this far.

Round 6A:

Garrett Gilkey, OG, Chadron State

Good college production for his level of competition. Reggie likes his small school guys.

Round 6B (compensatory):

Cornelius Washington, DE/LB, Georgia

I like him as a raw pass rushing prospect. Like Moore, he could play 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. He stood out to me at the Senior Bowl too.

Round 6C (compensatory):

Alec Lemon, WR, Syracuse

Good size and production. We need another WR after how I handled FA.

Round 7:

Gilbert Pena, DT, Ole Miss

NT prospect. Crapshoot at this point.

Depth Chart

Offense:
QB: Carson Palmer/Terrelle Pryor/Kellen Clemens
HB: Darren McFadden/Mike Goodson/ Taiwan Jones
FB: Marcel Reece/Jamize Olawale

WR: Denarius Moore/Jacoby Ford/Derek Hagan
WR: Rod Streater/Juron Criner/Alec Lemon

LT: Jared Veldheer/Willie Smith
LG: Matt Slauson /Alex Parsons
C: Stefen Wisnewski/Alex Parsons
RG: Lucas Nix/Garrett Gilkey
RT: King Dunlap/Tony Bergstrom
TE: Brandon Myers/David Ausberry/Richard Gordon

Defense:
RE: Damontre Moore/Andre Carter
DT: Desmond Bryant/Christo Bilukidi
DT: Sammie Lee Hill/Gilbert Pena
LE: Lamarr Houston/Jack Crawford

WLB: Miles Burris/Keenan Clayton
MLB: Omar Gaither/Jon Bostic
SLB: Phillip Wheeler/ Cornelius Washington

CB: Derek Cox/Joselio Hanson/Brandain Ross
CB: Mike Jenkins/ Phillip Adams/Chimdi Chekwa
FS: Michael Huff/ Bacarri Rambo
SS: Tyvon Branch/Michael Mitchell

K: Sebastian Janikowski
P: Marquette King
LS: Jon Condo
KR: Jacoby Ford/Taiwan Jones (he’ll get it this time, right?)
PR: Jacoby Ford/Phillip Adams

Final thoughts:
I’m pleased overall with the job I did. I re-tooled our defense big time. The players I signed aren’t that great, but they aren’t gonna break the bank either. I got a lot of building blocks for the D through the draft.

Speaking of which, I wish I addressed the offense a bit more thoroughly via the draft. Although, I do feel that even with the same personnel that we’ll be much, much better off with Olson. And that probably showed.

There was a pick or 2 that might not happen in real life due to players getting picked already, but all the players are supposed to go in the ranges where I picked them. Another concern for me would be all the FA’s I signed. Some make a lot of sense though and none are really going to ask for or get much.

Predicted Q&A:

You didn’t draft a cornerback. Really?

Really. When I looked at our roster, we already had a few young CB’s that the coaches seem to like. Adams has flashed potential and Chekwa looked a lot better at the end of the season than the beginning. I’m fine with giving Chekwa, Adams and Ross another year to develop.

That Offensive Line scares me.

You and I both. The left side, I’m fine with. Nix looked solid versus San Diego. I know that’s not a lot to go off of, but I expect Bergstrom to get some consideration at RG too. Trying to keep it real. And let’s be honest, they can’t be worse than Brisiel. Dunalp = stop gap. Can’t build Rome in a day.

Alright, rip it apart.

*Edited because I forgot Gilbert Pena's picture

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...

Last edited by Silver&Black88 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very . . . nice . . .work . . . .seriously. (even the presentation is clean) If we we're giving off-season awards this one would be right up there.

I'm totally enamored with Rambo. However, there's NO way Rambo will be there in the 3rd as he has uncanny intuition and ball skills. Got a pick in the Senior Bowl on a bad hammy and he was supposed to scratch that day. If the Raiders were ever going to jettison Huff THIS would be the draft as there are a number of very nice safeties available in almost every round. Love Vaccaro as well, uncanny tackling ability in space. Tony Jefferson is solid all around. Gotta love Swearinger and I havent even touched on P.Thomas.

Gotta gif this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV6oAYWz9vs

I'm sorry but draft THIS dude!
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice would have liked to see more o-line and cb help but it is the most realistic mock ive seen. i like lemon a lot.

not really a rambo fan i think his lack of speed will hurt him in the nfl

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN >>>>>> all of you
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh I don't really want Gaither to be starting... but I guess there's too many holes on the defense to fill in one offseason.

DarthDavis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drafting a Safety that can play is a good move. Huff showed more at CB then he has ever at Safety. We always seem to play guys at the position they are less successful at.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can dig it especially the Rambo pick as I had him on mine.

PM sig requests.
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope all of the guys you cut actually get cut. Great job overall!
justwinbaby81

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed. Seems realistic and would be overall happy about that depth chart.

King Dunlap isn't good, neither is Gaither. CBs are weak and WR not really addressed. But tough to patch up this shoddy roster in one year right?

I'd personally draft Jarvis Jones and target other FAs, but I think we will draft Moore and the rest is reasonable. Nice work.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O-line looks shaky. Dunlap and Slauson don't exactly represent much in the way of upgrades. Berg in a backup role again? Pretty bad 3rd round pick if that's the case. He should be starting at one of the guard positions. I don't have much faith in him playing outside.

WR and TE are especially weak. Our passing game would go nowhere unless some of these young guys stayed healthy and decided to develop.

Oakland's new punter. Yes. Punter.
La_Vader

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D+

Below average o line. Mock that has an unrealistic 3rd and 4th pick. Cut DHB?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

La_Vader wrote:
D+

DAT d-line though. Our o-line under this scenario will be just as good as last year, if not better.

Also, hell yea cut DHB. Not only is he overpaid, but when he's on the field he's taking away playing time from other WRs
LondonRaider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

La_Vader wrote:
D+

Seriously....you should really engage that 'brain' before posting anything else on this forum Silver.

SB88 - I watch this forum from afar and you are by far the most balanced poster on there, especially when things get silly in the post/off season.

It shows in your mock - great stuff. Well thought through, realistic (just, I think), balanced and with great presentation. We have so may holes to fill, this has to be the 1st of 3 or even 4 balanced (solid but not spectacular) drafts and free agencies before we're back to where we belong!

And yes, cut DHB, please cut DHB!
Rolni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not fan of Dunlap and not high on the 2 FA CB gambles, but overall I like it!
McRaider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonRaider wrote:
La_Vader wrote:
D+

Seriously....you should really engage that 'brain' before posting anything else on this forum Silver.

SB88 - I watch this forum from afar and you are by far the most balanced poster on there, especially when things get silly in the post/off season.

It shows in your mock - great stuff. Well thought through, realistic (just, I think), balanced and with great presentation. We have so may holes to fill, this has to be the 1st of 3 or even 4 balanced (solid but not spectacular) drafts and free agencies before we're back to where we belong!

And yes, cut DHB, please cut DHB!

i agree by far that SB88 is one of the most balanced posters. i was not wanting to post again after a person got my laptop with me logged on and posted and said horrible things.
but this is the most practical mock ive seen w/o trades in the draft.
i think we will make more dives in FA than that list but this mock is very realistic and i love the RAMBO pick dude is a monster not a huge fan of dunlap but he can most likely take a turn of the best with the right coaching and system he can make strides. willie smith as the only back up for veldheer scares the hell out of me.

i love the sam lee hill pick up and love the i can only catch a ball with my body DHB cut and his contract. wheres richard seymour on your walk list?

Silversurfer or La Vader Rolling Eyes wow!
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant believe you cut McClain and Kelly- the heart of our defense!

I love the FA signings, and I'm cool with the Moore pick. A safety in the 3rd is unconventional (going by most of our want's or needs) but I like it nonethless. We have enough holes to where pretty much any position in the 1st 4 rounds will upgrade our team. All in all its pretty realistic IMO. We arent fixing all our issues this offseason and we cant pretend that we will.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: