Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DeMaurice Slams Chargers Doctor, NFLPA Asks for Replacement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: DeMaurice Slams Chargers Doctor, NFLPA Asks for Replacement Reply with quote

Quote:
Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken
NFLPA exec DeMaurice Smith, referring to Dr. David Chao, says Chargers players "deserve to have a doctor not found liable of malpractice."

NFLPA showing slides from a player health and safety survey. Asked if they trust team's medical staff, 78% of players answered "not at all."

DeMaurice Smith singled out Dr. Chao in NFLPA press conference. Wasn't asked about him directly.

I'm told NFL Players Association has asked league to find a suitable replacement to Chargers team doctor David Chao. Story coming shortly.

This guy is pretty much the biggest joke in the NFL right now. He's been sued for malpractice, has multiple DUIs. He's been working with us for something like 15 seasons. About time something happens to this joke. I can't believe it took this long. Look up this guy's history - David Chao - and be shocked how any NFL team could possibly want him around.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
popie70

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that sounds like bad news. If the players don't trust the doctor than that leads to lots of problems. I wonder if the athletic trainers and other members of the medical staff want to remove the guy
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeMaurice is finally doing something positive?!
Shocked

Were the Mayans just a little off on their predictions?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to pretend about knowing anything, but "being sued for malpractice" is hardly a reason to get a rid of a guy. Doctors are always sued for malpractice even when there isn't a colorable claim. I'd be shocked if a doctor can go more than 3 years without being sued by someone.

And the DUI's are bad and I certainly understand not wanting to be associated with it. But that, too, hardly says anything about his competence as a physician.

I'm sure there is something there for De Smith to be doing this, but I don't think the two things you mentioned are particularly relevant.

#JDI
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
I'm not going to pretend about knowing anything, but "being sued for malpractice" is hardly a reason to get a rid of a guy. Doctors are always sued for malpractice even when there isn't a colorable claim. I'd be shocked if a doctor can go more than 3 years without being sued by someone.

And the DUI's are bad and I certainly understand not wanting to be associated with it. But that, too, hardly says anything about his competence as a physician.

I'm sure there is something there for De Smith to be doing this, but I don't think the two things you mentioned are particularly relevant.

http://deadspin.com/5835403/the-medical-board-says-david-chao-is-a-drunk-former-patients-say-hes-a-quack-why-is-he-an-nfl-team-doctor

When 78% of the players on the team don't trust the team doctor, that's terrible.

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:

Well, the (to me at least - laughable) issue now being pressed by Smith and NFLPA president Dominique Foxworth is that 1) "The majority of players don't trust team medical staffs" and 2) "The league is more concerned with its bottom line than player safety".

Where I do find it laughable is that (and mind you I'm an advocate for player safety) the PA wants to paint ownership as being villains for putting $$$ before player safety - and yet, this is exactly what the players (and their union in terms of what was conceded in bargaining sessions and left on the table in bargaining sessions) have done for years. So why is it that the owners should be villains and not the players when the players have demonstrated quite a bit that they are willing to forego their own safety and the safety of their union brethren in order to pad their own bank accounts and ensure their own job security?

Also, David Chau - despite being a terrible team doctor just in his ability to diagnose pre-existing conditions or in preventative medicine - is a terrible example to go after in terms of accusing being negligent in terms of player safety unless they want to go back to the Kris Dielman concussion from two seasons ago (and Dielman went to efforts to steer clear of team doctors on the sideline to keep them from pulling him from the game). This is the same Dr. Chau that greenlit and confirmed whatever phantom injury Jared Gaither was complaining of that enabled him to shirk the responsibilities of his contract and pretty much commit legal fraud.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this a team issue? Why is he bringing it up directly with the league?

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:
Isn't this a team issue? Why is he bringing it up directly with the league?

Because this is yet another attempt at a leverage grab disguised under the garb of concern for player safety by Smith. It's been his M.O. since Day One. Anything he can do to try and make the league/owners look like a bunch of greedy, money-grubbing, cold-hearted jerks sitting in their ivory towers with no concern save for furthering their own bank accounts, he's going to do it and go full-scale media warfare whenever he does. The bit of irony being that he's doing this so that the players can further their own bank accounts, not really to try and protect player safety any more than it is - just to get them more greatly compensated for foregoing their safety.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with LBC that this is once again posturing. That being said, the Chargers medical staff is a joke. We're always hurt, there are always set backs and players are usually back as shells of them former selves.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I agree with LBC that this is once again posturing. That being said, the Chargers medical staff is a joke. We're always hurt, there are always set backs and players are usually back as shells of them former selves.

The saddest part about this is that because it's blatantly posturing (anyone questioning this need only look to the timing of this announcement - that Smith, unprompted, waited until he had the biggest audience possible at the Super Bowl press conference to issue this riff), it almost assuredly means that Chau will stay exactly where he is - as the inept head of a joke of a medical staff. Why? Because ownership as a whole won't budge to give the NFLPA unilateral authority to terminate and approve the jobs of individuals who, while they work directly on the players, are employees of the individual franchises and not "the league". There is no precedence anywhere else in professional sport for this, so there's no reason for the league to cave.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tweeting with Shawne Merriman, and he has a suspicious tweet, i asked him about it, and gave him the story, and he said "well i guess where theres smoke, theirs fire", then i asked him about his experiences with him and he just said "lets just say i liked him as a person"...that really doesn't sound good....

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
I've been tweeting with Shawne Merriman, and he has a suspicious tweet, i asked him about it, and gave him the story, and he said "well i guess where theres smoke, theirs fire", then i asked him about his experiences with him and he just said "lets just say i liked him as a person"...that really doesn't sound good....

Shawne basically screwed himself though. However, having a crappy doctor probably didn't help him when he needed the surgery.

#JDI
green24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:

David Chao led the NFL in sacks in 2006?
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:

You spelled victIm wrong on your tweet. Hang your head in shame!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
This is the same Dr. Chau that greenlit and confirmed whatever phantom injury Jared Gaither was complaining of that enabled him to shirk the responsibilities of his contract and pretty much commit legal fraud.

This is something Dr. Chau could get fired for. The Bengals medical staff was beyond horrible for a while. I remember when Willie Anderson (Iron man type OT who never missed a game/practice) struggled through an injury all season. Finally Marvin Lewis told him in the offseason to get a second opinion who wasn't the team doctor. Of course the second opinion diagnosed his foot injury correctly that was misdiagnosed all season by the team doctor. There are a lot of other stories like that.

Mike Brown of course still doesn't fire the doctor. What finally got the doctor and his staff fired, was the Antonio Bryant incident. The doctor clears Bryant who doesn't play a single down for the Bengals because of injuries and Mike Brown still has to pay out his guaranteed money. Hit an owner in the pocket book and they'll finally hire some competent team doctors...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: