Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jerry Rice Really Is A Bitter, Bitter Old Man
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
What is being truthful?

Working really hard with decent skills wont make someone working averagely with amazing skills better than the amazing skilled guy.

Running up mountains did give Rice 4.1 speed. It didn't make his offenses ever score 500 points. It didn't do a ton of stuff for him which Moss could with ease.Sorry, but his point is very foolish. Hard work doesn't trump proven talent.

Know what it did do? It gave him stamina. He could play hard all game long. He could play longer than most because he was in such good shape. He didn't have to take a play off because he was tired, so he was able to take that opportunity to continue to pile up number and be productive. If Moss worked at his craft as much as Rice did he would have been the GOAT. He didn't, so Rice is #1 and everyone else can share #2 because no one cares.

Ali would have had Tyson crying in the corner. Tyson was a great puncher, and if he landed his shot against Ali, yeah he could have beat him. Odds are, he isn't landing that shot and he gets frustrated and resorts to some illegal tactics or just stops trying to box at all and gets pummelled. Holyfield wasn't half the boxer Ali was, but he was twice the boxer Tyson was. p.s. I'd rather be punched by Ali or Holyfield twice than Tyson once.
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are fooling yourselves if you say this didn't surprise you. I always thought of Rice as a very modest and professional guy and I liked that about him, but this was a response that I would expect from a player insecure about his legacy. Is what Jerry said right? Yeah I think so, but I found it a little unnecessary. Trust me I'm not at all suggesting Moss is more classy than Rice, it's just I expect the guy who is regarded as such a well-mannered and cool headed guy to well... keep his cool. A bit of a double standard I guess but too bad. I'm not going to say "oh I lost respect for Rice" because it's really not a bid deal, but I'm a fan of the guy and would have preferred to see him just dismiss the comments.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Rice is the Greatest Receiver of All Time.

Randy Moss had the potential to be the Greatest Receiver of All Time, but didn't fulfill it.

There's a difference.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
What is being truthful?

Working really hard with decent skills wont make someone working averagely with amazing skills better than the amazing skilled guy.

Running up mountains did give Rice 4.1 speed. It didn't make his offenses ever score 500 points. It didn't do a ton of stuff for him which Moss could with ease.Sorry, but his point is very foolish. Hard work doesn't trump proven talent.

Know what it did do? It gave him stamina. He could play hard all game long. He could play longer than most because he was in such good shape. He didn't have to take a play off because he was tired, so he was able to take that opportunity to continue to pile up number and be productive. If Moss worked at his craft as much as Rice did he would have been the GOAT. He didn't, so Rice is #1 and everyone else can share #2 because no one cares.

Ali would have had Tyson crying in the corner. Tyson was a great puncher, and if he landed his shot against Ali, yeah he could have beat him. Odds are, he isn't landing that shot and he gets frustrated and resorts to some illegal tactics or just stops trying to box at all and gets pummelled. Holyfield wasn't half the boxer Ali was, but he was twice the boxer Tyson was. p.s. I'd rather be punched by Ali or Holyfield twice than Tyson once.

I really can't disagree here...with any of it. If I were Rice and worked as hard as he did at being the best I'd be a bit put off by a guy claiming he's the best when he's really not even that close stats wise? Rice has good reason to be peeved.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rice does seem very defensive. He does seem to take issue with Moss proclaiming himself to be the better player.

Here is what is being overlooked though. Moss seems rather nonchalent about it, like he truly doesnt care. He is very laid back. Rice is very intense, has to self promote and go into great detail to boast himself as being the better player. Id like to have seen Rice just shrug it off and say something like I disagree, rather than going on a long rant defending himself. If you're truly the GOAT, you dont need to talk yourself up like Rice just did. All Moss simply said is that he thought he was the best and ended it. But Rice wanted to have a full on discussion and knock Moss's game while he was at it.

Rice just comes off as the type that wants to always remind everyone that he is the best and no one should be placed at his level. I think this simply is derived from his work ethic, he put a lot more time into his craft to see Moss not have to work as hard, yet is still an equal player in a lot of people's eyes.

But I will side with Rice as being the better player but I think his personality comes off as rather intense, in your face and quite boastful.

Honestly, the way Moss handled himself it would seem as if he was the GOAT. The #2 player is the one who always must argue vehemently to make there case and be noticed.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
Wait a minute, Moss saying he's the GOAT=okay.
But Rice saying "No, I think I am"=bitter?
Laughing Okay, NBT.

Applause

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Nacho Simulation Football League
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Honestly, the way Moss handled himself it would seem as if he was the GOAT. The #2 player is the one who always must argue vehemently to make there case and be noticed.

If they were both active I could see it that way...I view it more as Rice is a proud guy who has a case of "old man" and doesn't want to be forgotten.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if this wasn't created by NBT, is there really much to discuss? It was given far more thought than Rice should of given it, but that's about as much as there is to say.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

If they were both active I could see it that way...I view it more as Rice is a proud guy who has a case of "old man" and doesn't want to be forgotten.

Or does he have a problem letting go? What if more talent comes through the NFL, decade after decade. And what if a WR comes along who shatters Rice's records and has a more likeable personality than Moss. Will we hear the same thing from Rice and not wanting to be forgotten when he is 65? I think its impossible for forget Rice, but again, there are always people who want to remind everyone how great they are when they are no longer relevant.

When Moss retires, the NFL will probably never hear from him again. That is just how his personality is, he is a very private person and why he has tried to ignore the media for all these years.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Wait a minute, Moss saying he's the GOAT=okay.
But Rice saying "No, I think I am"=bitter?
Laughing Okay, NBT.

Moss does not act upset or offended if someone thinks Moss isn't the GOAT. Laughing

Says who? Moss has never been faced with that question.

What? Every reporter asked him about today and yesterday. He just says "Its my opinion, I mean no disrespect".

Look, I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't particularly care who the better receiver was, though Rice probably has a better case than Moss does, and that's why it's a minority opinion to think that Moss is the GOAT.
Jerry wasn't being bitter, and this is borderline trolling.

Every time you hear Rice say he is better than Moss because he worked harder than him, he is being bitter. Someone is not happy it came easier to someone else who now challenging the 'harder worker'.

And still falls short of the harder worker. Give me the talented harder worker over the more talented but lazy worker.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
I think you guys are fooling yourselves if you say this didn't surprise you. I always thought of Rice as a very modest and professional guy and I liked that about him, but this was a response that I would expect from a player insecure about his legacy. Is what Jerry said right? Yeah I think so, but I found it a little unnecessary. Trust me I'm not at all suggesting Moss is more classy than Rice, it's just I expect the guy who is regarded as such a well-mannered and cool headed guy to well... keep his cool. A bit of a double standard I guess but too bad. I'm not going to say "oh I lost respect for Rice" because it's really not a bid deal, but I'm a fan of the guy and would have preferred to see him just dismiss the comments.

I realized Jerry was a diva WR after I saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icEGsuxHIKA

I'm kidding

Zach Brown-Injured (Out for Year)
Taylor Thompson-2 rec, 24 yards, 0 TDs

Joined Deshaun Watson bandwagon-9/27/14
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contrast in attitudes is striking.

Moss is relaxed, casual, confident.
Rice is yelling, defensive, 'offended'.

Someone knows... Very Happy Cool
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
What is being truthful?

I really can't disagree here...with any of it. If I were Rice and worked as hard as he did at being the best I'd be a bit put off by a guy claiming he's the best when he's really not even that close stats wise? Rice has good reason to be peeved.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerry Rice Really Is A Bitter, Bitter Old Man Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Quote:
When Randy Moss declared himself to be the greatest wide receiver of all time on Super Bowl Media Day, it set off debate in the football world about where he ranks among the best. The general agreement seems to be that he, or any receiver for that matter, cannot hold a candle to Jerry Rice. It seems that Rice himself may think that way as well.

Rice was on 101 ESPN in St. Louis Wednesday, and he was asked about Moss' comments. The hall-of-famer didn't exactly show humility when responding, and also offered up a backhanded compliment to Moss:

"Well, in a way, it just offended me a little bit. I feel like my body of work, it speaks for itself, and what I was able to accomplish on the football field. I pretty much leave everything up to the fans. If they want to say I was the greatest receiver to play the game, then that's okay. If they want to say I'm the greatest football player to ever play the game, that's okay. I never felt like I had to say that, and those words are not going to come out of my mouth.

That's Randy Moss, and I admire him for what he was able to accomplish on the football field. He did some great things. The guy is 6'5, he runs a 4.3, he could out-jump people. The thing that separates us, is that I never took a play off. My work ethic, I was not the most talented but I was going to outwork you and I think that is why I was able to have so much success on the football field."

The work ethic and attention to detail is certainly what set Rice apart from Moss, as he was nearly as good at creating explosive plays despite being slower, smaller, and less athletic. Rice averaged 14.8 yards per catch over his career, while Moss has picked up 15.6. Rice was also able to sustain excellence over a longer period of time, catching 92 passes at the age of 40 with the Oakland Raiders. Moss has become a tertiary option at 35, and seems close to retirement.

So, does Rice deserve to think he is the greatest of all time? Sure. Most people agree, obviously including Rice himself. The only thing that is obnoxious about his comments, and possibly more annoying than Moss' outright declaration, is that he contradicts himself in an attempt to feign humility.

He says that he would "never say" he is the best of all time, but says it in the sentence prior. The fact that he even says he is "offended" by Moss' statement shows that he does believe himself to the greatest. If he was trying to be modest, then he is a pretty bad actor. Good thing he had another career to fall back on.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/31/3937380/super-bowl-2013-xlvii-jerry-rice-randy-moss-reaction

Add to "I dislike hypotheticals, it isn't fair to say 'If Randy had these quarterbacks'..." but then only minutes later..."If I had played in 16 games in stead of 12, I obviously would have caught more than 23 touchdowns". He got upset when asked if the quarterback comparison is valid since the "If I had played 16 games" was valid. He said "Look at the stats", and when told the stats between 36 year old Moss and 36 year old Rice are similar, he dismissed them.

It is really true. His "class" is entirely overstated. Walking contradiction bumbling over his own pride. More than anything, he sounds downright defensive and insecure. Moss is so calm as he states it, while Rice gets all fired up. For as much as Moss might be trying to stay relevant, Jerry Rice is worlds ahead of him.

CK on the sig
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Jerry Ricea bitter old man? Every thing he said is right Laughing

Just for the record Rice > Moss

Bird Watch: Mychal Kendricks
Tackles: 53 Sacks: 3 FF: 2 Interceptions: 0

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: