Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top 3 GM's in the NFL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Hilarious how Kevin Colbert is constantly overlooked.

He has only helped maintain one of the most consistently quality teams over the last decade.

No, lets put people over him who a) have less overall success, and b) are only being listed because their teams have been good recently.

Im not saying he is the absolute best, but constantly I see people putting lesser GMs over him. Hell, I remember a few years ago many putting freaking Mike Tannenbaum over him.

Tannenbaum was good for his first two years. It was all downhill from there...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 6326
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Bill Belicheck
2. Ted Thompson
3. Ozzie Newsome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 9735
Location: MD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lionslicer wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:
skrILL wrote:
1) Ted Thompson

2) Jerry Reese

3) Thomas Dimitroff

HM - Ozzie Newsome. If the Ravens win the Super Bowl this year he jumps to #3.


Why? Ozzie's already won one. What's Dimitroff done to be rated over him?I think TD's a little overrated. He's a good GM and all, but I don't think I'd even have him top 5, let alone top 3.


Ozzie wasn't a GM then when they won.. Sure he was an executive and had some to do with the team, but this is the top 3 GM's, and that isn't part of his GM resume... But Kyle Boller is.

lol, but seriously, Ozzie is one of the best GM's. The Ravens have been to the playoffs 5 straight years and are now in the super bowl. Whether they win or not, it says a lot about the GM when the team is constantly in contention.


That is on his resume...

He was making the picks in 1996 when they got Ray and JO. He was VP of player personnel. The Ravens didn't have a "GM."
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bmorecareful


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 603
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Hilarious how Kevin Colbert is constantly overlooked.

He has only helped maintain one of the most consistently quality teams over the last decade.

No, lets put people over him who a) have less overall success, and b) are only being listed because their teams have been good recently.

Im not saying he is the absolute best, but constantly I see people putting lesser GMs over him. Hell, I remember a few years ago many putting freaking Mike Tannenbaum over him.


I agree Colbert is a top overall GM but I think the character concerns with recent draft picks and the overall cap management has people reevaluating him. The Steelers are a perennial contender but alot of that comes from guys whose best days are behind them. Y'all have some young talent but y'all haven't drafted as well in recent years as most are accustomed to seeing from a Steelers draft. It hasn't been terrible but others have done better and since y'all never do much in FA all u can go off is the draft. I think he bounces back this year although I hope he doesn't lol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kikuchiyo


Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 2121
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
Only thing I'm confused about is..... Why are people so high on Thomas Dimittroff?

And does Trent Baalke deserve top 3, or even close to it? Because while his 2011 draft was good, his 2012 draft didn't contribute that much at all, and bottom line that doesn't bode well for their future....


Too early to tell on the 2012 class. The 49ers rely on their starting 11 more than any other team in the league. Meaning our depth guys rarely see the field. Lamichael's really the only rookie who's gotten a shot yet and that took a season ending injury. 2012 doesnt look to be as stacked as our 11 class was though, no doubt.
_________________

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MARIO MANGELINI


Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 895
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Hilarious how Kevin Colbert is constantly overlooked.

He has only helped maintain one of the most consistently quality teams over the last decade.

No, lets put people over him who a) have less overall success, and b) are only being listed because their teams have been good recently.

Im not saying he is the absolute best, but constantly I see people putting lesser GMs over him. Hell, I remember a few years ago many putting freaking Mike Tannenbaum over him.


He hasn't done so well lately. In fact, hasn't he drafted pretty bad lately?

green24 wrote:
1. John Idzik Wink



Not including him:

1. Ted Thompson
2. John Schneider
3. Ozzie Newsome
HM: Thomas Dimittroff, Jerry Reese, Trent Baalke


Same list Smile lol I wouldn't put Dimittroff in the HM though

Kikuchiyo wrote:
MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
Only thing I'm confused about is..... Why are people so high on Thomas Dimittroff?

And does Trent Baalke deserve top 3, or even close to it? Because while his 2011 draft was good, his 2012 draft didn't contribute that much at all, and bottom line that doesn't bode well for their future....


Too early to tell on the 2012 class. The 49ers rely on their starting 11 more than any other team in the league. Meaning our depth guys rarely see the field. Lamichael's really the only rookie who's gotten a shot yet and that took a season ending injury. 2012 doesnt look to be as stacked as our 11 class was though, no doubt.


Yeah 11 was dang good. Aldon Smith and Kaep are pretty dang good, Chris Culliver is above average, and Bruce Miller is an all-pro caliber FB. 4 starters is pretty good for a draft, especially after only 2 years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BThorn86


Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Location: Colorado Springs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Top GMs Reply with quote

1. Ozzie Newsome - all things considered, he has had probably the most successful of any round in NFL Draft history with Odgen and Lewis in 1996. Every single move the Ravens have ever made have gone through Ozzie. The consummate pro, who has been the most consistent for the longest.

2. Bill Belicheck - 3 Super Bowl rings, has consistently stocked more draft picks than anybody has. Always setting the bar with the transactions he makes. From trading for Wes Welker when he was a virtual unknown, to Tom Brady in the 6th round, to the double tight ends in one draft - Gronk & Hernandez. While Pioli deserves some credit for some of his moves, Belicheck has proven he is among the best talent evaluators year in and year out and outsmarts most with his ability to see the future in a player's career.

3. Kevin Colbert - Consistently drafts the best player available and almost always hits on his target. Consistently hits in the 1st round, and is always thinking ahead in terms of the current rosters needs.

Honorable Mention - Ted Thompson, Trent Baalke, Thomas Dimitroff, and John Schneider.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MARIO MANGELINI


Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 895
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Top GMs Reply with quote

BThorn86 wrote:
1. Ozzie Newsome - all things considered, he has had probably the most successful of any round in NFL Draft history with Odgen and Lewis in 1996. Every single move the Ravens have ever made have gone through Ozzie. The consummate pro, who has been the most consistent for the longest.

2. Bill Belicheck - 3 Super Bowl rings, has consistently stocked more draft picks than anybody has. Always setting the bar with the transactions he makes. From trading for Wes Welker when he was a virtual unknown, to Tom Brady in the 6th round, to the double tight ends in one draft - Gronk & Hernandez. While Pioli deserves some credit for some of his moves, Belicheck has proven he is among the best talent evaluators year in and year out and outsmarts most with his ability to see the future in a player's career.

3. Kevin Colbert - Consistently drafts the best player available and almost always hits on his target. Consistently hits in the 1st round, and is always thinking ahead in terms of the current rosters needs.

Honorable Mention - Ted Thompson, Trent Baalke, Thomas Dimitroff, and John Schneider.


This list seems a little outdated, IE it's focusing on their past accomplishments too much.

I think in making this list you should put a lot of stock in the last 3 years, and not too much stock in anything outside of that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlackandBlue


Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 2302
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how Thompson gets so much love. How good would the Packers be without Rodgers? And this isn't to say that he shouldn't get credit for drafting Rodgers, but Rodgers now is light years ahead of where he was on draft day. Coaching had something to do with the player he is now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50760
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:
I agree Colbert is a top overall GM but I think the character concerns with recent draft picks and the overall cap management has people reevaluating him.


Then people dont have a clue...considering a) there have only been a few players with character concerns and they werent players with major red flags coming out, and b) Colbert doesnt manage the cap, Omar Khan does.

Quote:
The Steelers are a perennial contender but alot of that comes from guys whose best days are behind them.


Umm...you can say the same exact thing about the Ravens.

Quote:
Y'all have some young talent but y'all haven't drafted as well in recent years as most are accustomed to seeing from a Steelers draft.


Again, you can say the same thing about the Ravens.

This isnt trying to put down the Ravens. Ozzie is awesome, but its not like the Ravens have done much better in recent years in the draft, yet he is listed as a top GM.

Either way, regardless of how people feel about Colbert now, the fact is he is ALWAYS overlooked. Even back in 2008, people werent listing him as a top 5 GM.

Again, Im not saying Colbert is the best in the NFL, but he is sure as hell better than several GMs being listed over him.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 6326
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colbert deserves to be in the top 3. It's just impossible for me to move BB anywhere, Thompson has built the NFC powerhouse Packers, who it's insane how loaded their roster is. Ozzie gets the nod honestly because of Ngata. If I wasn't so in love with Ngata as a player then Colbert could get in that top 3. Ozzie has better name recognition so there is a certain level of bias. Already a hall of famer...

Add in the fact that Ozzie always has people sniffing around his number 2 and you have why I have him ranked slightly higher.

Colbert is under known though for the success he has had.


Last edited by Boltstrikes on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 7460
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
Only thing I'm confused about is..... Why are people so high on Thomas Dimittroff?

And does Trent Baalke deserve top 3, or even close to it? Because while his 2011 draft was good, his 2012 draft didn't contribute that much at all, and bottom line that doesn't bode well for their future....

And now that I think about it, no way in heck I would put Dimitroff that high. He has the oldest starters in the NFL. That stat means they don't draft so well (as the draft gives you younger players).


right now, the only thing keeping Baalke from being top 3-5 is the fact that he's only been doing it for officially 2 years (unofficially 3). no question that this years draft class doesn't look fantastic, but it's hard to tell on a team that simply wasn't going to rely on rookies this year. you also have to take a look at what he's done outside of the draft though. Last year he signed both Rogers and Akers to bargain contracts, and they responded with great years (though admittedly both have tailed off this year, akers especially). It was his decision to get Harbaugh (according to an SI article up right now), he signed goodwin, moss and manningham to decent deals (they all performed decently, and while manningham got hurt, his deal was much better than the ones given to inferior wide outs such as eddie royal and josh morgan), he has locked up most of the young talent on the team to decent extensions (Alex boone makes peanuts for example), and I'm willing to bet quite a bit that the 49ers are able to trade alex smith and not just release him. The team also, while tight on the cap, does not have considerable "cap problems" (though most of that credit should go to paraag).
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Poster4613


Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 298
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Hilarious how Kevin Colbert is constantly overlooked.

He has only helped maintain one of the most consistently quality teams over the last decade.

No, lets put people over him who a) have less overall success, and b) are only being listed because their teams have been good recently.

Im not saying he is the absolute best, but constantly I see people putting lesser GMs over him. Hell, I remember a few years ago many putting freaking Mike Tannenbaum over him.

This. Steelers always seemed to have a super stacked team. I'd say Colbert, TT, and Newsome are the top 3. After that it's a crapshoot...but my boy Baalke is on the rise!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lionslicer


Joined: 06 Nov 2010
Posts: 1813
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
lionslicer wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:
skrILL wrote:
1) Ted Thompson

2) Jerry Reese

3) Thomas Dimitroff

HM - Ozzie Newsome. If the Ravens win the Super Bowl this year he jumps to #3.


Why? Ozzie's already won one. What's Dimitroff done to be rated over him?I think TD's a little overrated. He's a good GM and all, but I don't think I'd even have him top 5, let alone top 3.


Ozzie wasn't a GM then when they won.. Sure he was an executive and had some to do with the team, but this is the top 3 GM's, and that isn't part of his GM resume... But Kyle Boller is.

lol, but seriously, Ozzie is one of the best GM's. The Ravens have been to the playoffs 5 straight years and are now in the super bowl. Whether they win or not, it says a lot about the GM when the team is constantly in contention.


That is on his resume...

He was making the picks in 1996 when they got Ray and JO. He was VP of player personnel. The Ravens didn't have a "GM."


True, but Ozzie didn't decide to draft Lewis. His only part in that was being the VP at the time and also being on the Browns staff the year before. Belichick and Lombardi pretty much knew they were gonna draft Lewis before the 1995 season. Before Model even decided to move the team, Lewis knew he was going to be a Brown. There was very little that was going to keep Lewis from being drafted by the Browns/Ravens.

I'll give Ozzie credit for drafting Ogden though. Art was against the notion of taking an offensive lineman in the first round, but Ozzie did it anyways.
_________________
Kickers are people too
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mlv


Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 1637
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Belichick, Ted Thompson, Jerry Reese, Kevin Colbert, and Ozzie Newsome, in some order, are the best GMs in the league.

It is absolutely laughable that John Schneider is getting mentions in this thread as a Top 3 GM over guys like Reese and Colbert.
_________________
Colsrob wrote:
Wow. You really should back off of the Eli love. If anything, Eli is a negative impact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group