Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top 3 GM's in the NFL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
justinsgiants


Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 237
Location: Made in the Meadowlands
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Hilarious how Kevin Colbert is constantly overlooked.

He has only helped maintain one of the most consistently quality teams over the last decade.

No, lets put people over him who a) have less overall success, and b) are only being listed because their teams have been good recently.

Im not saying he is the absolute best, but constantly I see people putting lesser GMs over him. Hell, I remember a few years ago many putting freaking Mike Tannenbaum over him.

I totally agree with this post.

1. Kevin Colbert

2. Ozzie Newsome

3. Thomas Dimitroff

HMs: Ted Thompson and Jerry Reese.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmorecareful


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 547
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:
I agree Colbert is a top overall GM but I think the character concerns with recent draft picks and the overall cap management has people reevaluating him.


Then people dont have a clue...considering a) there have only been a few players with character concerns and they werent players with major red flags coming out, and b) Colbert doesnt manage the cap, Omar Khan does.

Quote:
The Steelers are a perennial contender but alot of that comes from guys whose best days are behind them.


Umm...you can say the same exact thing about the Ravens.

Quote:
Y'all have some young talent but y'all haven't drafted as well in recent years as most are accustomed to seeing from a Steelers draft.


Again, you can say the same thing about the Ravens.

This isnt trying to put down the Ravens. Ozzie is awesome, but its not like the Ravens have done much better in recent years in the draft, yet he is listed as a top GM.

Either way, regardless of how people feel about Colbert now, the fact is he is ALWAYS overlooked. Even back in 2008, people werent listing him as a top 5 GM.

Again, Im not saying Colbert is the best in the NFL, but he is sure as hell better than several GMs being listed over him.


Wow, I love how u made this a ravens vs Steelers thing when I clearly stated I agree he is a top GM as my first statement. Shoot I even went as far as to say I think he bounces back this year lol. U believe the Steelers have added as much new talent to their team as the Ravens have in recent years? You compare our drafts but that's not all there is to being a GM, and although Khan is ultimately the guy who finesses the cap as a GM I'm sure Colbert has input and should share some of the blame for the current state of the cap. Once again let me reiterate I AGREE Colbert is undervalued overall on these boards but if u can't see he has been in a slump by "normal" Steelers standards then I guess u differ from most Steelers fans I know. I wasn't attacking y'all about the off field stuff but at the same time y'all have had more off field stuff the last few years than I can remember y'all having during the previous 20 year stretch combined. Yeah we took a few character risks but other than Kindle (ironically our only true bust) none of them have carried their problems over to the pro level. Its cool though u can compare our teams but just for the record, I never mentioned Ozzie or the ravens anywhere in this thread prior to this post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlaqOptic


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 30456
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:
I agree Colbert is a top overall GM but I think the character concerns with recent draft picks and the overall cap management has people reevaluating him.


Then people dont have a clue...considering a) there have only been a few players with character concerns and they werent players with major red flags coming out, and b) Colbert doesnt manage the cap, Omar Khan does.

Quote:
The Steelers are a perennial contender but alot of that comes from guys whose best days are behind them.


Umm...you can say the same exact thing about the Ravens.

Quote:
Y'all have some young talent but y'all haven't drafted as well in recent years as most are accustomed to seeing from a Steelers draft.


Again, you can say the same thing about the Ravens.

This isnt trying to put down the Ravens. Ozzie is awesome, but its not like the Ravens have done much better in recent years in the draft, yet he is listed as a top GM.

Either way, regardless of how people feel about Colbert now, the fact is he is ALWAYS overlooked. Even back in 2008, people werent listing him as a top 5 GM.

Again, Im not saying Colbert is the best in the NFL, but he is sure as hell better than several GMs being listed over him.


Wow, I love how u made this a ravens vs Steelers thing when I clearly stated I agree he is a top GM as my first statement. Shoot I even went as far as to say I think he bounces back this year lol. U believe the Steelers have added as much new talent to their team as the Ravens have in recent years? You compare our drafts but that's not all there is to being a GM, and although Khan is ultimately the guy who finesses the cap as a GM I'm sure Colbert has input and should share some of the blame for the current state of the cap. Once again let me reiterate I AGREE Colbert is undervalued overall on these boards but if u can't see he has been in a slump by "normal" Steelers standards then I guess u differ from most Steelers fans I know. I wasn't attacking y'all about the off field stuff but at the same time y'all have had more off field stuff the last few years than I can remember y'all having during the previous 20 year stretch combined. Yeah we took a few character risks but other than Kindle (ironically our only true bust) none of them have carried their problems over to the pro level. Its cool though u can compare our teams but just for the record, I never mentioned Ozzie or the ravens anywhere in this thread prior to this post.


He wasn't making it a Steelers vs Ravens thing...

He's merely pointing out that the Ravens have a grand total of 2 more wins than the Steelers since 2008. If we're factoring in the post-season than it is 2 more regular season wins. The difference, however, is that the Steelers have 2 Super Bowls appearances to the Ravens 1, although the Ravens could have had 2 if they beat the Steelers in 2008. So why is it Ozzie Newsome is universally considered top 3 and Colbert wasn't even considered an Honorable Mention on lists?
_________________
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Yes, Victor Cruz is a bigger asset to a QB than Antonio Brown is. Id be hard-pressed to find many people that would take the latter.


JerseysFinest27 wrote:
10. Antonio Brown


Cruz wasnt even an HM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BlaqOptic


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 30456
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

43 pretty much covered my sentiments exactly word for word...

I don't even know if Colbert is a top 3 GM. However, it seems people just want to name the guys who's names they've heard. Then they just want to name guys who's team have experienced recent success. And that's cool. The face of the NFL is clearly shifting. Just look at top 100 lists... The Steelers, Eagles, Ravens, Giants and Packers routinely had 5-7 players on these lists... Now some only have 2 or 3. However, we've also seen in recent history of Mike Tannebaum was supposedly a top 5 guy and now hes out of town... A few years of success does not dictate a great GM... Continued success over years and years do and Newsome, Colbert, Reese, Pollian all come to mind for this.
_________________
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Yes, Victor Cruz is a bigger asset to a QB than Antonio Brown is. Id be hard-pressed to find many people that would take the latter.


JerseysFinest27 wrote:
10. Antonio Brown


Cruz wasnt even an HM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
PurplePeterson


Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 550
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that nobody mentioned Jerry Jones, he is the best general manager in the NFL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MARIO MANGELINI


Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 895
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlv wrote:
Bill Belichick, Ted Thompson, Jerry Reese, Kevin Colbert, and Ozzie Newsome, in some order, are the best GMs in the league.

It is absolutely laughable that John Schneider is getting mentions in this thread as a Top 3 GM over guys like Reese and Colbert.


Why? (you just knew that statement was gonna bring the Seahawk defenders Laughing )

He's had 3 drafts that are stellar, maybe his 2012 one the best. He excels with late round steals, and with most teams those late round steals take some time to emerge, but guys like Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, KJ Wright, Russell Wilson, Doug Baldwin, ect, only took 1 season or less in some cases. Not too mention he's also very solid on his 1st rounders, with the only "Subpar" one being James Carpenter, and he's looked good when he's in the lineup, he's just been hit by the injury bug. The great thing? He has already got young draft picks vying for his spot, so it doesn't matter too much if he fails.

Since his 2012 draft though, he definitely deserves to be mentioned on here. He found his franchise QB in Russell Wilson (An extremely ballsy move, reports afterward said he graded Russ as the 3rd best player in the draft and wanted to take him earlier, but had to be talked off the cliff) which is easily the hardest acquisition, and he was a 3rd rounder, costing barely anything, especially with the contract. He's turned the Hawks from a joke into a powerhouse.

I'm guessing your only problem with him is longevity?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmorecareful


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 547
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:
I agree Colbert is a top overall GM but I think the character concerns with recent draft picks and the overall cap management has people reevaluating him.


Then people dont have a clue...considering a) there have only been a few players with character concerns and they werent players with major red flags coming out, and b) Colbert doesnt manage the cap, Omar Khan does.

Quote:
The Steelers are a perennial contender but alot of that comes from guys whose best days are behind them.


Umm...you can say the same exact thing about the Ravens.

Quote:
Y'all have some young talent but y'all haven't drafted as well in recent years as most are accustomed to seeing from a Steelers draft.


Again, you can say the same thing about the Ravens.

This isnt trying to put down the Ravens. Ozzie is awesome, but its not like the Ravens have done much better in recent years in the draft, yet he is listed as a top GM.

Either way, regardless of how people feel about Colbert now, the fact is he is ALWAYS overlooked. Even back in 2008, people werent listing him as a top 5 GM.

Again, Im not saying Colbert is the best in the NFL, but he is sure as hell better than several GMs being listed over him.


Wow, I love how u made this a ravens vs Steelers thing when I clearly stated I agree he is a top GM as my first statement. Shoot I even went as far as to say I think he bounces back this year lol. U believe the Steelers have added as much new talent to their team as the Ravens have in recent years? You compare our drafts but that's not all there is to being a GM, and although Khan is ultimately the guy who finesses the cap as a GM I'm sure Colbert has input and should share some of the blame for the current state of the cap. Once again let me reiterate I AGREE Colbert is undervalued overall on these boards but if u can't see he has been in a slump by "normal" Steelers standards then I guess u differ from most Steelers fans I know. I wasn't attacking y'all about the off field stuff but at the same time y'all have had more off field stuff the last few years than I can remember y'all having during the previous 20 year stretch combined. Yeah we took a few character risks but other than Kindle (ironically our only true bust) none of them have carried their problems over to the pro level. Its cool though u can compare our teams but just for the record, I never mentioned Ozzie or the ravens anywhere in this thread prior to this post.


He wasn't making it a Steelers vs Ravens thing...

He's merely pointing out that the Ravens have a grand total of 2 more wins than the Steelers since 2008. If we're factoring in the post-season than it is 2 more regular season wins. The difference, however, is that the Steelers have 2 Super Bowls appearances to the Ravens 1, although the Ravens could have had 2 if they beat the Steelers in 2008. So why is it Ozzie Newsome is universally considered top 3 and Colbert wasn't even considered an Honorable Mention on lists?


Did u even read his post??? Better yet did u read my original post he responded to. I made no mention of the ravens or Ozzie yet every statement I made About the steelers he compared it to the ravens. Not TD or Ted Thompson or anybody else being ranked highly just Ozzie and the ravens. How is his post not Making It About the ravens vs. The Steelers???? The ravens roster has made a massive overhaul from the team we fielded in 07 (our last losing season) only remaining starter on O is Yanda (Rookie year) . On Defense the only remaining starters are Suggs Ngata Lewis and Reed. So that's 5 starters total And most of the other guys that were on that roster aren't with the team at all. So eventhough he can say some of our contributors best years are behind them alot of our guys were recent additions by the GM. We rebuilt without anybody even realizing because we stayed competitive the whole time. He never even mentioned record or team success in his post either so u talking about the two more wins in his defense doesn't apply either. I was actually agreeing with him about the Colbert oversight but since I'm a ravens fan I guess I can't have an opinion about the Steelers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 6638
Location: Because it's the Cup, PA (get well Mal)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlv wrote:
Bill Belichick, Ted Thompson, Jerry Reese, Kevin Colbert, and Ozzie Newsome, in some order, are the best GMs in the league.

It is absolutely laughable that John Schneider is getting mentions in this thread as a Top 3 GM over guys like Reese and Colbert.


Those would be my top five GMs as well. Picking the top three is more difficult as they all have a good claim to those spots. In no order mine would be Newsome, Colbert, and Thompson.
_________________


Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the #87 Sid's sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tooki


Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 10664
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlv wrote:
Bill Belichick, Ted Thompson, Jerry Reese, Kevin Colbert, and Ozzie Newsome, in some order, are the best GMs in the league.

It is absolutely laughable that John Schneider is getting mentions in this thread as a Top 3 GM over guys like Reese and Colbert.


Why is it laughable? Schneider has had a 3-year stretch that is as good as any other GM.

Are we also comparing GM's right now or are we looking at their whole résumé? You will get a much different answer then.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DrawABlank


Joined: 27 Dec 2009
Posts: 2748
Location: London, UK
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of those who actually have a large enough sample size (5+ drafts) to make a fair judgement:

Ozzie Newsome
Ted Thompson
Kevin Colbert
---(gap)
Jerry Reese
Thomas Dimitroff
Mickey Loomis
Rick Smith
---(gap)
Jeff Ireland
Jerry Jones
Mike Brown (better recently)

So my top three is Newsome, Thompson and Colbert, probably in that order.
_________________

Foster-A-Falcon: Matt Bryant
2013 Stats: 24/27 FG (88.9%), 39/39 XP (100%)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sammymvpknight


Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Posts: 3399
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loomis is NOT an x's and o's guy...so I wouldn't put him in the top three...but his abliity to crunch numbers and the cap are probably the best in the NFL. So for that I would give him a top 5 ranking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8178
Location: MD
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lionslicer wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
lionslicer wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:
skrILL wrote:
1) Ted Thompson

2) Jerry Reese

3) Thomas Dimitroff

HM - Ozzie Newsome. If the Ravens win the Super Bowl this year he jumps to #3.


Why? Ozzie's already won one. What's Dimitroff done to be rated over him?I think TD's a little overrated. He's a good GM and all, but I don't think I'd even have him top 5, let alone top 3.


Ozzie wasn't a GM then when they won.. Sure he was an executive and had some to do with the team, but this is the top 3 GM's, and that isn't part of his GM resume... But Kyle Boller is.

lol, but seriously, Ozzie is one of the best GM's. The Ravens have been to the playoffs 5 straight years and are now in the super bowl. Whether they win or not, it says a lot about the GM when the team is constantly in contention.


That is on his resume...

He was making the picks in 1996 when they got Ray and JO. He was VP of player personnel. The Ravens didn't have a "GM."


True, but Ozzie didn't decide to draft Lewis. His only part in that was being the VP at the time and also being on the Browns staff the year before. Belichick and Lombardi pretty much knew they were gonna draft Lewis before the 1995 season. Before Model even decided to move the team, Lewis knew he was going to be a Brown. There was very little that was going to keep Lewis from being drafted by the Browns/Ravens.

I'll give Ozzie credit for drafting Ogden though. Art was against the notion of taking an offensive lineman in the first round, but Ozzie did it anyways.


Now it just sounds like you're trying to discredit newsome. Any other team jumping up and drafting him could have gotten between them and Lewis. Normal predraft hoopla leading I risers and fallers could have changed things. And yes he made the draft pick of Lewis. If he was just the vp and didn't make the pick, then who did?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
reckless123


Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 10143
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is BB on this list for. People are overrating his draft success. He missed on a whole lot. He doesnt deserve to be anywhere near the top 3. Stop it. If you have stockpile picks, youre bound to hit on some. ESPN has corrupted people's mind.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 5875
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Why is BB on this list for. People are overrating his draft success. He missed on a whole lot. He doesnt deserve to be anywhere near the top 3. Stop it. If you have stockpile picks, youre bound to hit on some. ESPN has corrupted people's mind.


Because he engineered those trades that got him the extra picks. Belicheck is the best in the business and has the longest record of success. How many times have the Patriots missed the playoffs since he took over? That doesn't magically happen.
_________________


EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38048
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI,

You're relatively new to the site (and very active, which is great) but I am going to ask you to review over the nature of your threads prior to submitting them; You've started up several threads in General that are topics best suited for Comparisons, and the Mod team has had to move a lot of them over.

In the future, when you have a thread idea, ask yourself what the topic is and if you're asking for people to rank the efforts of people in the NFL; If so, you are probably better suited to start the thread up in here.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks. Very Happy

- ET
_________________

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group