Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Can any NFL players dominate in another sport?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can just start trying to master a skill that late in life and go dominate professionals who have been doing it forever.

I've always wondered what Vick would be like if he chose tennis as a kid. Maybe that flick of the wrist throwing power translates to a monster serve. His speed would be a great asset.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Vanilla_Ice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
I don't know about dominating but college basketball players like Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham could probably at least hold their own in the NBA.

Neither would have sniffed an NBA floor. If so, they would have went that route. Way more money and way easier on your body.
Antonio Gates couldn't play in the NBA, which is why a guy who didn't play football in college, became a TE in the NFL.

Not sure if you're serious or just being a smart ***.

Gates wouldn't have been close to an NBA court. 6'5 power forwards don't make it in the NBA. There are only 12 roster spots on 30 teams in the NBA, and people from all over the world play the game. The contracts are guaranteed and there's very little turnover in the NBA. It's completely different than the NFL. There are 53 roster spots on 32 teams and contracts aren't guaranteed. We're the only country who gives a flying **** about american football, and you don't have to compete with players from Spain, South America, or Asia.

The reason he made it to the NFL was that he had the perfect size, the coordination, and the athletic ability to play football. He played in high school and the jump to the NFL was an easy one. He wasn't tall enough to be a power forward, and he wasn't skilled enough to play the 2 or 3. If he was, he surely would have ended up somewhere other than Kent Freaking State.
You and I just said the exact same thing (you used more words, lol)

Lol -- oh okay. Couldn't tell if you were being serious or not.

But yeah, Gates sucks. Next question lol.
justo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
justo wrote:
Tony G was the only guy that really had a shot at the NBA, right?

How would you figure?

I am sure a lot of NFL players had the opportunity to play college basketball but chose football
I meant more about those TE guys. They moved to football because their basketball career was ending. Tony G actually could have played in either IIRC.

Speaking of football players getting drafted into baseball:
http://deadspin.com/5928281/shaq-thompson-returns-to-football-after-the-worst-minor-league-career-imaginable
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
RiseUp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of guys who went on to have GREAT NFL careers were drafted as baseball players. Like someone said before though the MLB draft is so huge though anyone who played baseball and was athletic had a shot at being drafted I guess. And many guys are/were two sport athletes. That being said some guys were better than others. John Elway was a pretty good baseball player, I believe. And another guy who I've heard was a solid baseball player in his younger years was Chris Weinke.

Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Brian Jordan, and Michael Jordan all played two sports professional. None of them dominated both by any means though.

Its impossible for professionals to dominate two sports like that though because as said before you've got guys who have played baseball their entire lives and they are going to be better than someone who switches. If some guys who play football had of dedicated more time to baseball or basketball or some other sport... I think it could happen.

Last edited by RiseUp on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
justo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiseUp wrote:
Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Brian Jordan, and Michael Jordan all played two sports professional. None of them dominated both by any means though.
Didn't Bo have a really good run for a short amount of time?
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
RiseUp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
RiseUp wrote:

From '88-'90 he had at least 100 hits every season, I believe. Highest average was like a .270 in '90 I believe.

His best season was arguably in 1989. Was an All-Star. ~100something RBIs, ~.260 average. 30 HRs (I think?), 25 SBs, he was good in '89.
justo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiseUp wrote:
justo wrote:
RiseUp wrote:

From '88-'90 he had at least 100 hits every season, I believe. Highest average was like a .270 in '90 I believe.

His best season was arguably in 1989. Was an All-Star. ~100something RBIs, ~.260 average. 30 HRs (I think?), 25 SBs, he was good in '89.
Wouldn't you say he dominated both sports?
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
justo wrote:

How would you figure?

I am sure a lot of NFL players had the opportunity to play college basketball but chose football

IIRC Terrelle Pryor was one of the better shooting guard/small forward prospects in the country out of high school.
RiseUp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
RiseUp wrote:
justo wrote:
RiseUp wrote:

Wouldn't you say he dominated both sports?

You could argue that.

It depends on how you define dominate though. I thought the OP meant like, LeBron James is dominate in the NBA. As in THE BEST.

In 1989 the only categories Jackson was ranked in the top 10 in:

8th in HRs with 32. Tied for 7th with 105 RBIs. However he also struck out more than anyone in baseball with 172 SOs.
neezy007

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhackyPlague wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
justo wrote:

How would you figure?

IIRC Terrelle Pryor was one of the better shooting guard/small forward prospects in the country out of high school.

Yeah he was.
Chiefer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty Schottenheimer went to basketball game of Tony G's and afterwards told him "Your future isn't in basketball son" Laughing

I think Jamaal Charles could've been a pro track athlete, possibly Olympic if he trained for it pre-ACL tear. Chris Johnson too.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
I think Jamaal Charles could've been a pro track athlete, possibly Olympic if he trained for it pre-ACL tear. Chris Johnson too.

Andre Johnson was a track star at The U - still holds a few NCAA indoor track records, IIRC.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
green24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
justo wrote:

He would probably have had a real nice career in the NBA.

Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Michael Vick, Jake Locker and Tom Brady were all drafted by major league baseball teams at one time.

Jake Locker could have been an awesome baseball player.

I know who can't dominate in baseball. Shaq Thompson. He was a second-team Freshman All-American this year in football, but he is the worst pro baseball player in history. In 39 at-bats for the Boston Red Sox' rookie-level team, he went 0-39 with 37 strikeouts.
Donut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
justo wrote:

He would probably have had a real nice career in the NBA.

Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Michael Vick, Jake Locker and Tom Brady were all drafted by major league baseball teams at one time.

Riley Cooper from eagles signed a contract also.

Nate Ebner played rugby at OSU. He might've been able to be decent at the next level.
Jeff Demps obviously for track.

Will Yeatman on Phins was a good lacrosse player at Notre Dame and Maryland. He was one of candidates for team USA so he could've developed more into a good player.

I dont know how good Mark Herzlich was but I assume he could've been really good to get an offer from john hopkins.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
When i watch ESPN E:60, i saw that Calvin couldve been a baseball player. Why are people under the assumption that guys like Graham and Tony G couldve been great bball players. These guys didnt play football out of choice you know. They werent good enough at basketball therefore chose football. If they had that choice, why on earth would they choose football? The health risks are relatively low. Now im not saying that applies to everybody.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already but Jimmy Graham would have had no chance of playing in the NBA. He was Kurt Thomas minus the size and the basketball ability (if you can imagine that).

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: