Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Can any NFL players dominate in another sport?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Haloti Ngata dominated in Rugby before becoming an NFL star. So to answer your question - yes, but not very many.

There'd be plenty of guys who could be "average" at another sport - like QB's trying to be pitchers, but that's about it. You'd be very hardpressed to find an NFL player who could change sports and dominate, unless it was similar to football.

He did no such thing. For him to dominate in rugby would require him to play at the top level of rugby first.
He dominated at level a long way below the top level.

Not saying he couldn't be very good at the top level. Just saying he never did it.

Also for any NFL player to do well in rugby there cardio would have to improve by a long way. Rugby 80 mins of game time that takes around 90 mins. NFL 60 mins game time that takes around 210 mins.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin
Pierre Desir
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanilla_Ice wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
I don't know about dominating but college basketball players like Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham could probably at least hold their own in the NBA.

Neither would have sniffed an NBA floor. If so, they would have went that route. Way more money and way easier on your body.
Antonio Gates couldn't play in the NBA, which is why a guy who didn't play football in college, became a TE in the NFL.

Not sure if you're serious or just being a smart ***.

Gates wouldn't have been close to an NBA court. 6'5 power forwards don't make it in the NBA. There are only 12 roster spots on 30 teams in the NBA, and people from all over the world play the game. The contracts are guaranteed and there's very little turnover in the NBA. It's completely different than the NFL. There are 53 roster spots on 32 teams and contracts aren't guaranteed. We're the only country who gives a flying **** about american football, and you don't have to compete with players from Spain, South America, or Asia.

The reason he made it to the NFL was that he had the perfect size, the coordination, and the athletic ability to play football. He played in high school and the jump to the NFL was an easy one. He wasn't tall enough to be a power forward, and he wasn't skilled enough to play the 2 or 3. If he was, he surely would have ended up somewhere other than Kent Freaking State.
You and I just said the exact same thing (you used more words, lol)

Lol -- oh okay. Couldn't tell if you were being serious or not.

But yeah, Gates sucks. Next question lol.

Gates was a good player at KSU.... like very good. Yes, he would not have been good in the NBA..... but let's not sneeze at his college accomplishments. Over 20 PPG, led his team to a S16. Plus, he would have played at MSU if Saban had let him play both sports.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way Manning and Brady have an eye. I think they could be a awesome pair of curlers. Joe Montana probably should of checked into it after football himself. Get that gold medal.
Would hate to play a game of horseshoes against them after a weeks training too.

Hershel Walker tried out with bobsledding didnt he?
Get a few rbs/lbs that could really muscle that sled to speed in a hurry. Let a decent driver take over. They could dominate.

In reverse. There would be a few soccer players that if they wernt on 100million dollar contracts with that sport. Would be HOF kickers in the NFL.

Trinidad: Where you can play dodgeball, jump off a diving board, and call a team the Redskins without the Communist Left sayin otherwise.
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vast majority of possible NFL players having success in another sport would probably be as Pitchers in MLB. You might have a handful of players with size able to play in the NBA but not to the effect of possible pitchers. As I stated before I doubt any NFL player could be the next Verlander but the next Jeff Samarjia or better , without a doubt. There are / were way two many two sport players in college mostly pitchers/QB to not have a star emerge at some point.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Haloti Ngata dominated in Rugby before becoming an NFL star. So to answer your question - yes, but not very many.

There'd be plenty of guys who could be "average" at another sport - like QB's trying to be pitchers, but that's about it. You'd be very hardpressed to find an NFL player who could change sports and dominate, unless it was similar to football.

He did no such thing. For him to dominate in rugby would require him to play at the top level of rugby first.

Not saying he couldn't be very good at the top level. Just saying he never did it.

Also for any NFL player to do well in rugby there cardio would have to improve by a long way. Rugby 80 mins of game time that takes around 90 mins. NFL 60 mins game time that takes around 210 mins.

The average rugby player will run 5-7km per game.
Not sure how far a LB or RB will on average run per game but can't see it being anywhere near that.
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Not sure how far a LB or RB will on average run per game but can't see it being anywhere near that.

It would be interesting to know and like you I just cant see it being that high. Also you have to factor in the far shorter time period that rugby takes to get threw 20 mins extra gametime.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin
Pierre Desir
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Which is definitely attainable, it's just something you have to train for.

I don't think any NFL player could dominate another sport. It just takes too much training and time...time that they've lost.

Not to say that they can't play other sports...just can't dominate.

Jim Thorpe, Bullet Bob Hayes and Jim Brown are the extremely rare exceptions but that was in a different day and age.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Tugboat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put Vince Wilfork in net for Ice Hockey a la Goldberg (Mighty Ducks, fame). Imagine the net coverage!!!

Bound to work great. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
I don't know about dominating but college basketball players like Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham could probably at least hold their own in the NBA.

Jimmy Graham couldn't even hold his own at Miami, the only thing he is holding in the NBA are warm up jackets and gatorade cups.

ELRammy
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanilla_Ice wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:

Neither would have sniffed an NBA floor. If so, they would have went that route. Way more money and way easier on your body.
Antonio Gates couldn't play in the NBA, which is why a guy who didn't play football in college, became a TE in the NFL.

Not sure if you're serious or just being a smart ***.

Gates wouldn't have been close to an NBA court. 6'5 power forwards don't make it in the NBA. There are only 12 roster spots on 30 teams in the NBA, and people from all over the world play the game. The contracts are guaranteed and there's very little turnover in the NBA. It's completely different than the NFL. There are 53 roster spots on 32 teams and contracts aren't guaranteed. We're the only country who gives a flying **** about american football, and you don't have to compete with players from Spain, South America, or Asia.

The reason he made it to the NFL was that he had the perfect size, the coordination, and the athletic ability to play football. He played in high school and the jump to the NFL was an easy one. He wasn't tall enough to be a power forward, and he wasn't skilled enough to play the 2 or 3. If he was, he surely would have ended up somewhere other than Kent Freaking State.

Poor logic all-around. There are 15 roster spots per NBA team btw (13 active, which is the minimum required number of players a team has to have), and plenty of turnover, even in-season.

Gates was a couple years before I started evaluating basketball talent for a living, but he was a damn good college player from the video I went back and watched. He had some wing skills for sure, but wasn't proven as a shooter despite signs of improvement in the area. Still, a guy with his athleticism and the IQ to average 4 assists per game playing the 4 spot in college would have been given every chance to latch on as an un-drafted free agent had he stuck with basketball. His physical tools and IQ alone would make him a prime target to be a defensive stopper.

Do you think this years rookie of the year (so far) Damien Lillard can't be a good player because he played college basketball at Weber State, a far worse program historically than Kent St? Or that a colllege PF from New Mexico like Danny Granger sucks?
reckless123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc_Aviv wrote:

Poor logic all-around. There are 15 roster spots per NBA team btw (13 active, which is the minimum required number of players a team has to have), and plenty of turnover, even in-season.

Gates was a couple years before I started evaluating basketball talent for a living, but he was a damn good college player from the video I went back and watched. He had some wing skills for sure, but wasn't proven as a shooter despite signs of improvement in the area. Still, a guy with his athleticism and the IQ to average 4 assists per game playing the 4 spot in college would have been given every chance to latch on as an un-drafted free agent had he stuck with basketball. His physical tools and IQ alone would make him a prime target to be a defensive stopper.

Do you think this years rookie of the year (so far) Damien Lillard can't be a good player because he played college basketball at Weber State, a far worse program historically than Kent St? Or that a colllege PF from New Mexico like Danny Granger sucks?

Yes but if Gates was good enough, why would he pursue football instead? He clearly wasnt good enough to make it into the NBA. i agree that using the college that somebody went to is poor logic because there have been lots of players who have succeeded that have gone to small schools in all major sports.But i guarantee you, you'll find very few people who were good enough to make it in the nba choose football instead.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well didn't Deion Sanders play baseball at one point? There's also Collin Kaepernick.

I'd imagine guys like Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski or Kyle Rudolph would be good players in the NBA.

I could also imagine a few kickers/punters would make nice soccer players.

I really don't know if anyone would dominate.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Lions017

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
Vast majority of possible NFL players having success in another sport would probably be as Pitchers in MLB. You might have a handful of players with size able to play in the NBA but not to the effect of possible pitchers. As I stated before I doubt any NFL player could be the next Verlander but the next Jeff Samarjia or better , without a doubt. There are / were way two many two sport players in college mostly pitchers/QB to not have a star emerge at some point.

I wouldn't go that far. Jeff Samardzija has turned himself into a very good pitcher, and it's tough to make it in MLB. There are a lot more guys that sit around in the minor leagues for years and years and never make it than there are guys who turn into a middle-of-the-rotation pitcher.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrelle Revis would've been a pretty good basketball player.

[]_[] Family
Rei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops

Last edited by Rei on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: