Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Ray Lewis & Randy Moss Question.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ray Lewis & Randy Moss Question. Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
You hear more about Ray Lewis, because Ray Lewis is making a huge spectacle out of it...

Actually, no, the media is making Ray Lewis a huge deal, not Ray himself.
While this is partly true because the media is in fact blowing it up and giving it way too much air time, Ray announced it at exactly the time to cause the most craziness and he did it on purpose. Part of it was surely to motivate his team mates, and part of it was just as surely because he loves the spotlight and likes when people pay attention to him. That isn't a bad thing, but to say he didn't want his retirement to be a big deal to others is ridiculous. He wants to be a legend and he saw a chance to make his legend grow. He is feeding the fire.

Oh there's definitely some truth to what you're saying. That being said, the media is focusing on it to some degree and rightfully so. One of my biggest pet peeves is people that say Lewis is overrated because of a "look at me" attitude. He certainly has one, but he was great, phenomenal eve, with or without it.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A couple of Eagle have vouched for T.O., and if I remember correctly McNabb was somewhat of a problem in Minny, and Shannon didn't quite get along with him (whereas he could get along with Cutler? ), and there were multiple players thru out his Eagle years that bump heads with him (Trotter, Douglass, Jackson, TO, etc)

Don't play dumb Mossburg, it's just like you saying Jerry is prolly mad, but acts like he's not because he wants to come off as humble. That is McNabb's very essence. Always rubbed me the wrong way. Did you ever see him as an analyst/commentator? I don't know how people can buy his 'high road' act.

Everything about the guy screams 'backhanded' to me.

My opinion of McNabb has definitely changed after those last 2 seasons, but those things don't make him some type of toxic scumbag. There really weren't any egregious problems in Minny or Was, McNabb was simply done as a football player. Like I said, the worst thing you can say about him is being a stubborn fool.

Quote:
I found a reference to the comments in an SI article, but can't find the actual comments. I remember it was something along the lines of, TO needs to just shut up about the contract for the good of the team, but unfortunately, can't find the exact quote, nor remember it 8 years later.

Honestly, I think it would be a bigger deal if it were the case. Maybe it was something someone said that they head someone else say type of deal. I feel like I'm fairly well versed on the details of this feud, and this is literally the 1st time I heard of it.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
ram29jackson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ray Lewis & Randy Moss Question. Reply with quote

titwio wrote:
Why are so many people only so high on seeing Ray Lewis get a ring, (as if he doesn't have one already) yet you rarely hear people say they'd like to see Randy Moss get one.

Both of these guys will retire as arguably the best at their position but why does no one bring up Randy Moss? Moss has been part of two of the best teams in recent memory to not win the SB...the 07 Patriots and the 98 Vikings. I know Randy isn't as uplifting spiritually as Ray but he's still one of the most physically gifted and exciting players in NFL history.

I'm just wondering why no one is speaking up about Randy when it comes to HIM going out a winner as opposed to always hearing..."let's win it for Ray".

Moss is no fan favorite...his recent history is just a journeyman wide receiver hanging on and rarely used. He was like a Dr J early in his career and has good numbers but he is only 9th all time in receptions...he's 3rd in yards behind T Owens whos number 2...no one cares about either guy . Bad attitudes have tarnished their history.

If Randy gets a ring, good for him. But it doesnt have the same appeal like RLewis getting one or Flacco or even Gore. Guys who are fan favorites and work horses and dont say silly things.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
Quote:
A couple of Eagle have vouched for T.O., and if I remember correctly McNabb was somewhat of a problem in Minny, and Shannon didn't quite get along with him (whereas he could get along with Cutler? ), and there were multiple players thru out his Eagle years that bump heads with him (Trotter, Douglass, Jackson, TO, etc)

Don't play dumb Mossburg, it's just like you saying Jerry is prolly mad, but acts like he's not because he wants to come off as humble. That is McNabb's very essence. Always rubbed me the wrong way. Did you ever see him as an analyst/commentator? I don't know how people can buy his 'high road' act.

Everything about the guy screams 'backhanded' to me.

My opinion of McNabb has definitely changed after those last 2 seasons, but those things don't make him some type of toxic scumbag. There really weren't any egregious problems in Minny or Was, McNabb was simply done as a football player. Like I said, the worst thing you can say about him is being a stubborn fool.

Quote:
I found a reference to the comments in an SI article, but can't find the actual comments. I remember it was something along the lines of, TO needs to just shut up about the contract for the good of the team, but unfortunately, can't find the exact quote, nor remember it 8 years later.

Honestly, I think it would be a bigger deal if it were the case. Maybe it was something someone said that they head someone else say type of deal. I feel like I'm fairly well versed on the details of this feud, and this is literally the 1st time I heard of it.
I literally remember McNabb (I believe at the Espy's that year, as it was on a red carpet) making the remarks but it wasn't put exactly that way, but that was jist of it. 2 days later TO is on SportsCenter making the "I'm not the one who was throwing up in the huddle" that friday he wins Mike & Mike's Just Shut Up award. And so it began. I also believe that it happened around the same time as Favre's comments on Javon Walker, b/c I remember the discussion of how Favre had broke that same unwritten rule and it strained HIS relationship w/ Walker, and the compare/contrast of the situation. Somebody even saying that Brett could make that comment about TO w/o backlash but McNabb couldn't.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
nevermore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retirement, Ray being Ray, etc.
Ed Reed's in the same boat as Moss. Both being one of the best ever at their position, both near the end of their careers without a lot of retirement talk, and they're both pretty reserved towards the media. I don't think it's got much do to with Moss himself, but with the spectacle that is Ray Lewis.
Hell, same thing applies to Tony G.

Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both stories about this Super Bowl actually. While I'd like to see Ray Lewis sail off into the sunset with another championship, I'd rather see Randy Moss win one. People on this board seem to be remembering a lot more about the meia reports of Moss than they are of all the incredible plays he made during his career. I would really love to see Moss win a ring because I think he deserves it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ray Lewis & Randy Moss Question. Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
You hear more about Ray Lewis, because Ray Lewis is making a huge spectacle out of it...

Actually, no, the media is making Ray Lewis a huge deal, not Ray himself.

I love Ray, but this isn't the least bit true.

I can't stand Moss, and I like Ray a lot. Moss is a quitter and Ray is always giving it his all no matter what.

That's what it comes down to for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we all agree that "being so disruptive that you are FIRED despite being all-pro, for causing fist fights and locker room drama" is worse than "mentally checking out". One effects the whole team, one only effects the individual.

Plus...nothing Moss said about Oakland was wrong. What views as quitting, another views as "We all should have been listening when Moss said Al Davis and co. were totally losing it in 2005".
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Can we all agree that "being so disruptive that you are FIRED despite being all-pro, for causing fist fights and locker room drama" is worse than "mentally checking out". One effects the whole team, one only effects the individual.

So a player quitting on his team only effects himself? Is that what you're saying?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

So a player quitting on his team only effects himself? Is that what you're saying?

No.

What I am saying getting fired from your team has every single effect that 'quitting' on your team has, and then some. Owens 2005 season did everything Moss 2006 did, but more.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Mossburg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

In this given situation, Moss working harder than any human being ever worked in the history of man would have zero impact in the grand scheme given that Norv Turner was the coach and Al Davis was running things.

tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

No.

What I am saying getting fired from your team has every single effect that 'quitting' on your team has, and then some. Owens 2005 season did everything Moss 2006 did, but more.

Then why say "one only effects the individual." ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

In this given situation, Moss working harder than any human being ever worked in the history of man would have zero impact in the grand scheme given that Norv Turner was the coach and Al Davis was running things.

Fair enough, that doesn't cover for the other time(s) he quit on his team though. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Fair enough, that doesn't cover for the other time(s) he quit on his team though. Wink

The only time he's quit was walking off the field in that Redskins game the Vikings lost in week 17 and thought they weren't going to the playoffs, but backed in because of other teams losing. it didn't really hurt the team or anything, even less than in Oakland in fact, but definitely was not a good gesture. Either way, the team rallied and won in GB next week in the Wildcard.

Other than that, if you're gonna mention you seeing him not running routes every now and then at 100%, I hope you do the same in Reggie Wayne threads, because I've seen him and others do it plenty of times when they know they're not getting the ball. I remember doing a coverage tracker for Antoine Winfield some years back. The Vikes were playing the Colts and this was either the last or the 2nd to last season of Marvin Harrison. In that particular game, I don't think he was the primary read for a single pass play. Winfield covered him on a lot of plays, and it looked to me like Harrison wasn't even running his routes like I'd expect him to. Can I go ahead and call him a quitter too?

Most of it is just exaggerated by fans and media alike.

tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

The only time he's quit was walking off the field in that Redskins game the Vikings lost in week 17 and thought they weren't going to the playoffs, but backed in because of other teams losing. it didn't really hurt the team or anything, even less than in Oakland in fact, but definitely was not a good gesture. Either way, the team rallied and won in GB next week in the Wildcard.
Yeah. I guess we see it different ways. IMO it absolutely hurt the team. Maybe not from a W-L perspective, but without a doubt from a team moral perspective. And maybe it didn't even hurt them that much, but there's no way that him quitting like that only impacted himself. That's why I don't care if he gets a ring or not, I'm not a fan of that attitude.

Mossburg wrote:
Other than that, if you're gonna mention you seeing him not running routes every now and then at 100%, I hope you do the same in Reggie Wayne threads, because I've seen him and others do it plenty of times when they know they're not getting the ball.
Nah, that's just minor stuff. Plenty of players do that from time to time.

Mossburg wrote:
Most of it is just exaggerated by fans and media alike.
Could be, but I could make the argument that pro-Moss guys are just brushing it under the rug as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: