Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Ray Lewis & Randy Moss Question.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titwio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
This isn't Moss' last year, sooooo

Wow, great insight. I guess there's no reason to "win it for Randy" being he's only been in the league "16 years". After this season he's going to have sooooo many more opportunities.
AmerigoCorleone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winning a ring won't do a thing for Moss' legacy. He's a backup on a team he jumped on.

Lewis on the other hand is still decent and is the soul of his team. Winning a ring does something for his legacy because without him ever being on the Ravens they never win one in the first place, whereas Moss contributes so little.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmerigoCorleone wrote:
Winning a ring won't do a thing for Moss' legacy. He's a backup on a team he jumped on.

Lewis on the other hand is still decent and is the soul of his team. Winning a ring does something for his legacy because without him ever being on the Ravens they never win one in the first place, whereas Moss contributes so little.

How did you get special privelages into the 49ers locker rooom?
silus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Lewis led a single team for his entire career. Randy Moss bounced from team to team because he's a selfish diva. So its really no surprise as to why no one on the 49ers wants to "win it for Moss."
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
Ray Lewis led a single team for his entire career. Randy Moss bounced from team to team because he's a selfish diva. So its really no surprise as to why no one on the 49ers wants to "win it for Moss."

Receivers are well known for being the DIVA's of the NFL.
nagahide13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Lewis is and has been the heart and soul of an entire franchise and city.

Randy Moss is a guy that whines and is either cut by his team for not trying, talking dirty, or getting on Hoodie's bad side.

Outside of talent, there is no comparison... and sports are about SOOOO much more than talent.
titwio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
Ray Lewis is and has been the heart and soul of an entire franchise and city.

Randy Moss is a guy that whines and is either cut by his team for not trying, talking dirty, or getting on Hoodie's bad side.

Outside of talent, there is no comparison... and sports are about SOOOO much more than talent.

Everywhere I've read concerning players (not the media) have said only good things about Randy as a player in the locker room and with his teammates. Patriots, Vikings, 49ers all say how great a teammate he was.

Vernon Davis:
Quote:
Hes a terrific guy in the locker room. Hes funny, hes energetic, hell always put a smile on your face and a lot of people dont know that about him.

A lot of other players from past and present teams have said similar things.

This is not a comparison against Ray Lewis. More of a why no one speaks up about Randy Moss "finally" getting a ring after having a great and long career of his own. Of course he's not impacting the 49ers as much as Lewis has the Ravens but he's still one of the all time greats that has never won one and it seems, at least to me, this is a story that few have been willing to talk about.

Not everyone hates Randy or pays attention to how critics and media view him. There's a lot of real fans of his, (I'm one) and personally it's kind of sad in a way that every time I turn on the TV, it's Ray Lewis this, and Ray Lewis that. I'm not anti Lewis at all but the guy has won a ring...Moss hasn't. People are acting like Ray hasn't yet and the only reason they're pulling for the Ravens is to see him "get a ring".
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

This is simply not true. Perhaps this is the only PUBLIC display of it, but I know for a fact that Randy had been known in that locker room as a guy who wasn't giving it his all for quite some time. In 04'/05' my HS football team was visited by a Vikings player that had inner locker room knowledge on the situation.

At that point, I was a pretty big Randy Moss fan... and by pretty big, I mean, he was my favorite receiver to watch and play with in Madden... but I didn't have a jersey or worship the ground he lived on. So the admission by my coach's cousin that the locker room just wasn't behind the guy and his attitude was definitely telling. It wasn't something where he defended Moss. He used Moss' attitude as a coaching point as for what not to be like on the football field. The message was about "team".

And this related to the OP. The reason why Lewis is getting so much more hype out of getting this ring, is because he played the game the right way. Lewis, for all his personal accomplishments and amazing individual performances... at the end of the day, was about his team. Winning and losing were important, but even before that... came Lewis' team.

The point about whether TO or Moss' actions were worse is irrelevant. Sure you can say both players are/were competitive. But it's also true that they didn't know how to react to losing. Moss, at his deepest, was a quitter. When he lost or saw himselt also made excuses. Because TO worked hard, he just 'knew' it couldn't have been any fault of his for losing... so it must've been his QB's fault... or maybe it was a coach.. or owner. Someone could always be blamed. Both players were competitive, but they both reacted to losing by throwing out the concept of 'team' and being all about the individual.

Lewis never did that... except once and that was in 07' when it was clear that Billick had lost the locker room. Lewis finally tip-toed (didn't even say anything too strongly) to the effect that Billick had indeed lost the locker room. He didn't throw Billick under the bus, but even then, he was speaking behalf of the team... as a leader representing the voice of the locker room. Win or loss, Ray Lewis was always about his team.

And that's the main difference IMO. I don't really care if Moss gets a ring. I wouldn't be mad if he does. But I'm not going to sit here and say he 'deserves' it. Why does he deserve it? He didn't get a ring at a time where it would've mattered to his legacy IMO. He didn't get a ring on a team that was 'his'. Moss getting a ring now, will be more about this 49ers team and less about Moss' abilities as a receiver... I mean, they made it to the AFCCG just a year ago without his services. With NE, it would've mattered, but now... as a backup that came back from an unofficial retirement... he's nothing more than a Karl Malone at this point. A ring chaser. What did they call them in LOTR? Nazgl... he's one of those.

With two more tackles, Lewis has the most tackles in a single post season in history... and at his current pace.. he just might shatter the former mark... so, he's still an impact player. This is still his team. And he's an NFL icon. Enough people respect what Lewis had meant to the game to want to see him rewarded with a ring again... and enough people don't respect Moss' attitude towards the game to truly care one way or another if he gets a ring or not.
Epic post, really sums up my thoughts. And for me personally, quitting is not acceptible. I can deal w/ all the stuff TO does, yeah he's a diva who wants to win, I know that every Sunday in between those white lines I'm going to get the best possible effort. I know that in the offseason TO is going to work like a madman to get better at his craft, b/c Jerry Rice showed him that's what he had to do. I can handle that, it takes a special coach, and it takes a QB who can put TO in his place w/o insulting him, but I know that there is never going to be a time where TO doesn't care whether he wins a game.

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
Malik

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayvens52 wrote:
This is a serious question? Lewis is an all time great at any position top 15 easily. Moss is not even considered best at his position by many! Ray stayed by his team 17 years, he is a RAVEN! Who cares if Moss gets a ring or not?

Exactly this. Randy Moss COULD have stayed with a team his entire career though. He just didn't want to. That's his legacy. For all the talent in the world, he just didn't want to. He could of been a Viking for life if he wanted to be. Or he could of really sustained that revival on the Pats, but he didn't want to.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
Rayvens52 wrote:
This is a serious question? Lewis is an all time great at any position top 15 easily. Moss is not even considered best at his position by many! Ray stayed by his team 17 years, he is a RAVEN! Who cares if Moss gets a ring or not?

Exactly this. Randy Moss COULD have stayed with a team his entire career though. He just didn't want to. That's his legacy. For all the talent in the world, he just didn't want to. He could of been a Viking for life if he wanted to be. Or he could of really sustained that revival on the Pats, but he didn't want to.

Red McCombs can be thanked for Moss being traded. Apparently, McCombs was upset over the years of being unable to move the team to San Antonio, so he decided to ship off the Vikings most beloved player with potential GOAT skills (for peanuts). Shortly after trading Moss, he sold the team. I think it was a final shot at the state of Minnesota and Viking fans for being unable to relocate the team to Texas, which everyone knows was his intention all along.

The Vikings players and coaches didnt even know (though Tice seems clueless generally anyway) it was a complete shock.

Though who knows how the career of Moss would have gone if he remained in MN. Shortly after, Culpepper messed up his knee. Tice was fired and Childress was hired. I couldnt imagine Childress and Moss getting along over the long-term.

If Moss were smart, he would have kept his mouth shut in 2010 and focused on playing football and not a new contract. Moss very well could have eventually signed a new deal with New England, but ultimately, I think Moss was kind of getting tired of football and being away from family, and just needed that year off. Look how that year off has helped Randy, he is calm, appreciative, and enjoys being part of a great team as a backup.
AmerigoCorleone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
AmerigoCorleone wrote:

What? Moss surely isn't even in the same universe as Lewis when comparing their leadership or importance to their current team.

Moss bangwagoned on the team. Ray Lewis is the foundation for his.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmerigoCorleone wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
AmerigoCorleone wrote:

What? Moss surely isn't even in the same universe as Lewis when comparing their leadership or importance to their current team.

Moss bangwagoned on the team. Ray Lewis is the foundation for his.

Ya, not sure what the priveliges comment was about?

#JDI
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because Randy Moss is mean.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titwio wrote:

This is not a comparison against Ray Lewis. More of a why no one speaks up about Randy Moss "finally" getting a ring after having a great and long career of his own. Of course he's not impacting the 49ers as much as Lewis has the Ravens but he's still one of the all time greats that has never won one and it seems, at least to me, this is a story that few have been willing to talk about.

Not everyone hates Randy or pays attention to how critics and media view him. There's a lot of real fans of his, (I'm one) and personally it's kind of sad in a way that every time I turn on the TV, it's Ray Lewis this, and Ray Lewis that. I'm not anti Lewis at all but the guy has won a ring...Moss hasn't. People are acting like Ray hasn't yet and the only reason they're pulling for the Ravens is to see him "get a ring".

You're answering your own question. No one really cares because Moss isn't a big deal anymore. He isn't that impactful. Same reason no one is going on about Matt Birk finally getting a chance at a superbowl ring. 6-time pro-bowler, once a top C in the league. But he isn't anymore, so it really isn't a big deal. Just like Moss is not a top WR anymore. Not even close.

Adopt-a-Chief: Brandon Flowers
45 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 Interception, 32 INT yards, 5 PDs
BornToFly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ray Lewis & Randy Moss Question. Reply with quote

titwio wrote:
Why are so many people only so high on seeing Ray Lewis get a ring, (as if he doesn't have one already) yet you rarely hear people say they'd like to see Randy Moss get one.

Both of these guys will retire as arguably the best at their position but why does no one bring up Randy Moss? Moss has been part of two of the best teams in recent memory to not win the SB...the 07 Patriots and the 98 Vikings. I know Randy isn't as uplifting spiritually as Ray but he's still one of the most physically gifted and exciting players in NFL history.

I'm just wondering why no one is speaking up about Randy when it comes to HIM going out a winner as opposed to always hearing..."let's win it for Ray".

I am so hoping Randy Moss gets a ring. He is my favorite player. Hoping tomorrow he has a great game, and gets his ring.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: