Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stafford's Mechanics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Stafford's Mechanics Reply with quote

Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford's core mechanics are excellent, according to ESPN's Trent Dilfer

Quote:
Dilfer defended Stafford's throwing motions, days before the San Fransisco 49ers square off against the Baltimore Ravens in this year's Super Bowl. Although he has heard disapproval about Stafford from many NFL observers, including colleague Ron Jaworski, Dilfer disagrees with the critics.

"Does he need to get better? Yeah, I think he'll get better as everybody else gets better," Dilfer said. "Jaws (Jaworski) and Tim (Hasselbeck) and I argue over the mechanics thing. The core of his mechanics are excellent. Does he get lazy at times like Brett Favre did? Yes. But that's also a nuance in his game that allows him to make some throws that others can't. It's a double-edged sword.

Quote:
"I can drop down sidearm and throw a crossing route to Calvin Johnson that another guy can't make, but that same ability also gets me in trouble sometimes. I think he's going to learn discretion. I think when it's all said and done, they (elite quarterbacks) get better, and he's going to learn that, and this is not Trent Dilfer's comment, it's a Steve Young comment, a Hall of Famer, that managing the game is 75 percent of the job. The flash is the other 25 percent. He's mastered the 25 percent. I think he's got half of the 75 percent. He needs to hone that management to improve that aspect of his game."

Quote:
"I think he's great," Dilfer said. "I'm a big Stafford fan. I recognize the burden he's carrying. When you have a limited running game, you have an offensive line that is not really physical, and a defense that (struggles), it's really hard to be efficient as a quarterback. I think he has made them better than they would be without him by far. You can definitely build around him. The term franchise quarterback I think is a fair term to use. You definitely can build a franchise around Matthew Stafford."

Do you think Stafford's mechanics are a big problem?

What kind of season do you see him having next year?

Would you extend his contract? If so, how long and for how much?
DrRay11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stafford's Mechanics Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford's core mechanics are excellent, according to ESPN's Trent Dilfer

Quote:
Dilfer defended Stafford's throwing motions, days before the San Fransisco 49ers square off against the Baltimore Ravens in this year's Super Bowl. Although he has heard disapproval about Stafford from many NFL observers, including colleague Ron Jaworski, Dilfer disagrees with the critics.

"Does he need to get better? Yeah, I think he'll get better as everybody else gets better," Dilfer said. "Jaws (Jaworski) and Tim (Hasselbeck) and I argue over the mechanics thing. The core of his mechanics are excellent. Does he get lazy at times like Brett Favre did? Yes. But that's also a nuance in his game that allows him to make some throws that others can't. It's a double-edged sword.

Quote:
"I can drop down sidearm and throw a crossing route to Calvin Johnson that another guy can't make, but that same ability also gets me in trouble sometimes. I think he's going to learn discretion. I think when it's all said and done, they (elite quarterbacks) get better, and he's going to learn that, and this is not Trent Dilfer's comment, it's a Steve Young comment, a Hall of Famer, that managing the game is 75 percent of the job. The flash is the other 25 percent. He's mastered the 25 percent. I think he's got half of the 75 percent. He needs to hone that management to improve that aspect of his game."

Quote:
"I think he's great," Dilfer said. "I'm a big Stafford fan. I recognize the burden he's carrying. When you have a limited running game, you have an offensive line that is not really physical, and a defense that (struggles), it's really hard to be efficient as a quarterback. I think he has made them better than they would be without him by far. You can definitely build around him. The term franchise quarterback I think is a fair term to use. You definitely can build a franchise around Matthew Stafford."

Do you think Stafford's mechanics are a big problem?

What kind of season do you see him having next year?

Would you extend his contract? If so, how long and for how much?

No. He merely needs to stop throwing off his back foot so often. Trust in his line and coaching can handle that. His actual throwing mechanics are great, in my opinion.

Depends on if we fill the Jahvid Best void and how soon Broyles can return, or if we add another piece at WR.

Yes. 4-5 additional years, High-2nd Tier QB money.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stafford can make some throws that few other QBs can even dream of, and has a snappy release thanks to the side-arm throws he makes. Once he gets everything else figured out, I think its gonna really help him to be a little quirky in all his throwing motions etc.

driftwood wrote:
haggis wrote:
i bet if you had sould after he jumped a little cough here and there usually follow

lol, wait what?
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His core mechanics are fine...People overstate the whole side-arm throwing motion as if it's something bad. In a not-so-perfect world QB's don't have all day to set up and often have to make something out of nothing. The fact he can use that throwing motion as a outlet, sort of, and still deliver the ball to receivers accurately is an asset.

His footwork does need refinement IMO. I blame his extensive time in shotgun for that.

I think he'll improve as the team does. If we can shore up the defense and get him some semblance of a reliable rushing attack, I have 100% confidence he'll improve. So hopefully an elite season next year Wink
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dilfer. When he's on, we all see what happens, but when he's off, we again see what happens. He needs to be more consistent.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
detroitroar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2nd and 3rd quotes are very well said and reasons I have given defending Stafford. I dont think theres a player in this league other than maybe Peyton that is asked to do more for his team.

And again, I believe Staffords mechanics to be much more of a strength than a weakness. What Stafford needs to get better at is the touch throws. I thought during that incredible stretch at the end of 2011 he had figured it out, and you saw what he did. He had probably the best statistical 4 game stretch of any QB in history.

Lost in all of this is the fact that he is still very young, and has still not played a full 3 seasons in this league.

Where I disagree with Dilfer is when he says everyone gets better. Some get better; some stay the same; some regress. I believe Stafford stayed the same last year, while everyone else is so quick to point to his stats as to why he regressed. Defenses adjusted how they played us and our offense as a whole failed to adjust successfully.

To be honest, Stafford doing the commercials and all the different shows in the off-season put a bad taste in my mouth. I got the sense that he felt he arrived as an NFL QB. Understandable given his bad luck during his first 2 years.

I fully expect him to be completely humbled and analyze what he needs to work on this OS and comeback stronger.

Going into 2011 he bulked up to avoid injury.

Lost in this last season is how much he improved on throwing on the run. Coming into the year I would of said he was below average where as now I would say he is good outside the pocket. Something Im sure he made a priority of fixing.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought his me hanics were way off. He rushes throws because oline sucks and quick pressure.

I'm sure he can adjust minor things

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
nagahide13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant believe that I agree with that many things Trent Dilfer said in succession. If there is one thing he knows, its how to play qb without actual physical talent. When he talks about those things, I believe him.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I partially agree. Mechanics can also mean footwork, and Stafford needs to work on his footwork. But his throwing angle isn't the issue people make it out to be. He can throw sidearmed and not lose the velocity/accuracy other QBs do when throwing sidearmed. It might not look pretty, but it can be effective. Like a knuckleballer in baseball.

His issue is footwork and timing. Things that can be corrected if he puts in the time. And from all accounts, he's one of the hardest workers on the team. Now if we could get him an OL to give him time to get his feet under him, and some receivers to throw to... I think he can make the adjustments.

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I say has been mentioned, in part elsewhere but I'm going to say it anyway.

Staffords mechanics are essentially good. To many times he attempts a difficult pass throwing off his back foot which gets him into trouble.

His arm strength is superior but he still depends on that strength to often thinking he can beat coverage by getting the ball there quickly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes the receiver gets credited a drop because the pass was to hot to handle.

Stafford's problems aren't insurmountable they just drive fans nuts.

He needs to improve his touch on the ball. Sometimes he is simply to amped and throws a five yard swing pass like a laser. Or he drills Pettigrew five yards across the middle. When it isn't caught the ball sometimes sails and he gets intercepted. Likewise interceptions come when he try's to beat coverage with the throw.

We have all complained about his inconsistency and I have some thoughts on that. I think Linehan should start the game by throwing the ball. Throw it until Stafford gets in his groove then establish the run.

Stafford appears fine once he gets in rhythm but this year the rhythm seemed harder to establish. It seemed every game they came out trying to establish the run to set up the passing game and I think that hinders Stafford's effectiveness. Throw the ball then establish the run.

I don't care what the Lions do now or in the future the bread and butter of the offence is and will continue to be CJ and Stafford.

It seems in many ways the Lions try to be something their not. This is not a running team. In order for them to win they have to use Stafford's talent and game plan to the offensive strength of the team.

The other problem I see is routes being run based on what the receivers and Stafford see from the defensive alignment. It is a very abstract and difficult scheme for the offence. It's far to dependant on everyone noticing the same question and being on the same page. That's why we see so many bewildered looks from Stafford and the receivers. It's why we all suggest Stafford and the receivers don't look in synch.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Everything I say has been mentioned, in part elsewhere but I'm going to say it anyway.

Staffords mechanics are essentially good. To many times he attempts a difficult pass throwing off his back foot which gets him into trouble.

His arm strength is superior but he still depends on that strength to often thinking he can beat coverage by getting the ball there quickly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes the receiver gets credited a drop because the pass was to hot to handle.

Stafford's problems aren't insurmountable they just drive fans nuts.

He needs to improve his touch on the ball. Sometimes he is simply to amped and throws a five yard swing pass like a laser. Or he drills Pettigrew five yards across the middle. When it isn't caught the ball sometimes sails and he gets intercepted. Likewise interceptions come when he try's to beat coverage with the throw.

We have all complained about his inconsistency and I have some thoughts on that. I think Linehan should start the game by throwing the ball. Throw it until Stafford gets in his groove then establish the run.

Stafford appears fine once he gets in rhythm but this year the rhythm seemed harder to establish. It seemed every game they came out trying to establish the run to set up the passing game and I think that hinders Stafford's effectiveness. Throw the ball then establish the run.

I don't care what the Lions do now or in the future the bread and butter of the offence is and will continue to be CJ and Stafford.

It seems in many ways the Lions try to be something their not. This is not a running team. In order for them to win they have to use Stafford's talent and game plan to the offensive strength of the team.

The other problem I see is routes being run based on what the receivers and Stafford see from the defensive alignment. It is a very abstract and difficult scheme for the offence. It's far to dependant on everyone noticing the same question and being on the same page. That's why we see so many bewildered looks from Stafford and the receivers. It's why we all suggest Stafford and the receivers don't look in synch.

I feel Rythm you mention is a lot to do with Vanillihan. When Stafford is in hurry up or no huddle he gets great but they rarely run it unless behind. You see teams like NO and NE run it while up.

Problem is lack of defense playmakers makes them afraid to run tempo of offense he is best In

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's things the Lions can do to help Stafford.

1. Strengthen the interior O-line so Matt is able to actually step up without pressure immediately in his face.

2. Develop a consistent running game to keep defenses on their toes.

3. Add more talent at WR. Things would be fine IMO if Broyles was healthy, and Titus wasn't a complete nutcase but alas we still need help there.

4. Bolster the defense so Matt isn't forced to orchestrate a 4th quarter comeback all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:

1. Strengthen the interior O-line so Matt is able to actually step up without pressure immediately in his face.

3. Add more talent at WR. Things would be fine IMO if Broyles was healthy, and Titus wasn't a complete nutcase but alas we still need help there.

4. Bolster the defense so Matt isn't forced to orchestrate a 4th quarter comeback all the time.
I agree with all of these, and believe #1 and #2 could be improved with a single selection- Chance Warmack. MFA a guard of his caliber isn't worth the #5 selection in a draft class like this.

#3 I'd look to alleviate through F/A. Mayhew sucks at drafting WR's. Just pay Bowe and get it over with.

#4 should be our focus with every other resource we have after landing Warmack and Bowe- through draft, and F/A.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

I agree with all of these, and believe #1 and #2 could be improved with a single selection- Chance Warmack. MFA a guard of his caliber isn't worth the #5 selection in a draft class like this.

#3 I'd look to alleviate through F/A. Mayhew sucks at drafting WR's. Just pay Bowe and get it over with.

#4 should be our focus with every other resource we have after landing Warmack and Bowe- through draft, and F/A.

If they had the money to land Bowe that would be awesome. He has so much talent and is continuously overlooked in the top WR debate. Pairing him with CJ would be amazing.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
nagahide13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

IMO, the entire problem with picking an "elite" guard, (Which Warmack is, no if ands or buts about it) before #15 was pay scale. That's been pretty much entirely taken care of in the last CBA. There is absolutely no reason to avoid any position before any point now if the talent is there, and it certainly is with Warmack.

This even held a bit true before the current CBA... I mean, whom is worth more to the Raiders... Jamarcus Russel or Sebastian Janikowski?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: