Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offensive Line Turnover
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Offensive Line Turnover Reply with quote

Detroit Lions prepared for potential offensive line turnover, says coach Jim Schwartz

Quote:
The Detroit Lions offensive line has experienced unbelievable continuity over the past three seasons, running out the same starting five for 42 of the possible 48 regular season games.

Quote:
"We're prepared for a lot of different ways," Schwartz said. "It didn't show this year because Riley (Reiff) had to play one game at left tackle, Jason Fox was an inactive for all but one game, Corey Hilliard was an inactive just about every game, but we have developed some pretty good players there. We have some pretty good players in the pipeline. If we think the best course of action is to go there, then we're prepared for that."

Quote:
The Lions selected Reiff in the first round of the draft last season and he's expected to start in 2013, although where remains to be determined. General manager Martin Mayhew and the coaching staff have consistently said the long-term projection is to have Reiff replace Backus at left tackle, but the second-year player out of Iowa is capable of playing all four tackle and guard positions.

Who do you see starting on the offensive line for the Lions next year?

How would you rebuild the line?
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's quite possible that we see a line-up that looks like:

LT- Reiff
LG- Sims
C- Raiola
RG- Rookie
RT- Fox
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they'll go ahead and keep Cherilus; he's actually been okay the last couple of years. Sign him to some kind of a deal in the neighborhood of 3 years, $10 million. At LT, let Backus and Reiff compete. People will complain if Backus continues playing, but I don't have an issue with the way he's played over the last 3 years or so. Between those two positions and Rob Sims, we're all set. The other two, on the other hand, are an issue.

They should do what they can to cut Peterman. He counts for $2.65 million against the cap, and they can alleviate all of it by releasing him. Worst-case scenario here is that they slap Reiff over here, but more likely I think they'll sign someone like Geoff Schwartz or draft someone to fill this spot.

I think it's time for Raiola to go, but this isn't a great draft for centers. Barrett Jones is a possibility in the 2nd round I guess.

I keep reading talk about getting Fox or Bill Nagy involved. I'm not too excited about either's prospects, though. Fox has a long, scary injury history and hasn't looked very good in the limited time he has been forced to play. I think if you depend on him to hold up one of the tackle positions as a starter, you're asking for trouble, because I just don't expect him to be able to play though the season.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give Nagy a chance to compete with Peterman or Raiola, but he's had injury problems of his own (a surgically repaired ankle that's landed him on IR in two straight seasons), but I can't pencil him in as a starter or even an heir apparent.

As of right now I'm expecting:

LT - Backus
LG - Sims
C - Raiola / Rookie
RG - Reiff / Rookie / Free Agent
RT - Cherilus

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
I think it's quite possible that we see a line-up that looks like:

LT- Reiff
LG- Sims
C- Raiola
RG- Rookie
RT- Fox

They've been talking up Fox since the end of last season, the coaches that is, saying how's he's been healthy and has looked better.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relying on Fox at this point would be almost as bad as relying on Best to come back. I'll believe it when I see it.

My hope is that Joeckel falls to us at 5. That can only happen if KC goes QB at #1.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
batrobj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put reiff at lt. sims at LG. rookies at c and rg. fox at rt.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
Relying on Fox at this point would be almost as bad as relying on Best to come back. I'll believe it when I see it.

My hope is that Joeckel falls to us at 5. That can only happen if KC goes QB at #1.

That is a little extreme don't you think? Best can't get cleared to practice, Fox went all of last year without any set backs.

Not saying I'm 100% comfortable depending on him, but comparing his situation to Best's isn't fair.

As for what I'd like to see:
OT: Reiff and either Goz or Backus. No reason we won't be able to get one of them back.
OG: Sims and rookie
C: Nagy or rookie

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
DrRay11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

That is a little extreme don't you think? Best can't get cleared to practice, Fox went all of last year without any set backs.

Not saying I'm 100% comfortable depending on him, but comparing his situation to Best's isn't fair.

OT: Reiff and either Goz or Backus. No reason we won't be able to get one of them back.

That's sort of my expectation as well. Interesting he included Hilliard.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it isn't the direction I want them to go I expect big changes in the offensive line simply due to the salary cap.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see four new starters on the line with the only returning starter being Sims.

As much as I like Backus he is up there in age and he has to be let go at some point. Same goes for Raiola. Both players make good salaries and the Lions are desperate for cap room so they could be casualties. Cherilus has improved every year and had a fantastic season last year. His return is probably dependant on what his salary demands are and how confident the team is in Fox.

So it wouldn't surprise me to see

LT.......Reiff
LG......Sims
C........Nagy or a rookie from this upcoming draft.
RG......Warmack Wink
LT.......Fox

What the Lions do have is some flexibility along the offensive line. It really boils down to how confident they are in some of the players ability to take the next step.

The Lions have some serious decisions to make this year and unfortunately the cap is going to figure prominently in those decisions. It's to bad there have to be casualties because both Backus and Cherilus deserve to play.

Personally I would make every attempt to resign Cherilus but I think his play will get him a contract bigger than the Lions can afford.

In the long run the cap is the big issue and where they think they can get the biggest bang for the buck. Cutting Backus and Raiola while not resigning Goz free's up some decent cash. If they van also get some renegotiations and extensions done then the Lions could add some talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a lot of parallel's between Cliff in 2011, and Gosder in 2012. The biggest difference being, no way could you call Gosder the Lions best OL, whereas, not only could you call Cliff the Lions best DL in 2011, he was their defense's best play-maker period.

Neither were worth what they were probably gonna receive though. And whereas fans were prepared to buy into Cliff's overrated backups like Willie who had more personal fouls than impact plays, everyone seems ready to write off Jason Fox who was once considered a high 2nd round prospect.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
I see a lot of parallel's between Cliff in 2011, and Gosder in 2012. The biggest difference being, no way could you call Gosder the Lions best OL, whereas, not only could you call Cliff the Lions best DL in 2011, he was their defense's best play-maker period.

Neither were worth what they were probably gonna receive though. And whereas fans were prepared to buy into Cliff's overrated backups like Willie who had more personal fouls than impact plays, everyone seems ready to write off Jason Fox who was once considered a high 2nd round prospect.

You make an extremely valuable point. I think though the contract demands of Goz will determine if he stays or goes. I expect he goes because the Lions have options even if it means putting RR or Fox at RT.

My spider senses tell me there will be big changes this year that are based on finances and the dollars they can free up.

I could be way off base but it just seems to be the low hanging fruit and of course it also works well with me wanting the Lions to draft Warmack. Cool

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
detroitroar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

I said it was almost as bad. Neither can get on the field.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
jaylittle03

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like there might not be a huge interest in offensive line at number 5.....

Props to wi7son
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaylittle03 wrote:
Sounds like there might not be a huge interest in offensive line at number 5.....

It does sound like that. That might change as they complete the team analysis and number crunching.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Jrugges

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Backus
Rob Sims
Rookie
Rookie
Riley Reiff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: