Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Best HOF: Sport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The-Catch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Best HOF: Sport Reply with quote

Been reading about HOF candidates for football, basketball, baseball etc recently and thinking about which sport has the best process to not only select their representatives but the ones you most agree with.

I'm biased and follow mainly football and agree most with their selections. Baseball seems more clouded due to the recent history and players are inducted as part of a particular team which brings up a conflict if they were great w/multiple teams but only inducted as a part of one. Basketball isn't about just the NBA which I think is good, but the recent SI article about 18 likely active players to make it is a bit too inclusive considering how many positions and players there are..http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130129/chris-bosh-nba-hall-of-fame-chances/ Again I don't know the full history of its process so I may be biased. Other sports I know nothing about so feel free to chime in.
x0x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to get 75% of votes to get in.

Makes sense. You could have ten players inducted or none.
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football's Hall of Fame is expanding more than anyone else's, and I think that could be a problem going forward. The Hall might be seen as being oversaturated one day, though I think it's fair since football has so many more players and positions than any other sport.

I think baseball's criteria was pretty fair, not too strict but not too lenient. But the steroid era is honestly tarnishing the hall somewhat. Just induct the guys already.

The basketball hall has ridiculously low standards.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey HOF is the best IMO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The football HoF is ridiculous,not with who is in there but the crazy limit on how many can be inducted each year.
Someone has already mentioned that football uses a lot more players than the other sports yet they induct no more than 7 per year yet the NBA inducts 12.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
The football HoF is ridiculous,not with who is in there but the crazy limit on how many can be inducted each year.
Someone has already mentioned that football uses a lot more players than the other sports yet they induct no more than 7 per year yet the NBA inducts 12.

Because the honor of being inducted in the Hall of Fame is much higher if there isn't a bunch of guys routinely being inducted every year, which leads to undeserving guys being inducted. Which is the issue with the NBA's HOF.

cpanthers178990 wrote:
Panthers coming back from 13 down is like a normal team coming back from 35 down.
Malik

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The baseball hall of fame has the best collection of players, even though it's asinine how serious they hold 1st ballot nonsense and that they never elected anyone in with 100% of the votes.
Bodhi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
Football's Hall of Fame is expanding more than anyone else's, and I think that could be a problem going forward. The Hall might be seen as being oversaturated one day, though I think it's fair since football has so many more players and positions than any other sport.

I think baseball's criteria was pretty fair, not too strict but not too lenient. But the steroid era is honestly tarnishing the hall somewhat. Just induct the guys already.

The basketball hall has ridiculously low standards.

The problem with the basketball hall is that it's just just the NBA. It's anyone in the sport. So you get these female players and foreign guys that no one has ever heard of.

The standards for just NBA guys are pretty high though
x0x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Keleth wrote:

Because the honor of being inducted in the Hall of Fame is much higher if there isn't a bunch of guys routinely being inducted every year, which leads to undeserving guys being inducted. Which is the issue with the NBA's HOF.

Yeah but you're looking at extremes.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame has too small induction classes at this point with 32 teams. The biggest issue is of course disparity in positions.

23 modern era QBs.
23 modern era DBs.

Even if you don't feel that a 4:1 ratio on the field should translate into induction, the fact that there's the same number of Corners and Safeties in Canton as Quarterbacks is idiotic beyond comprehension.
Keleth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Keleth wrote:

Which is why you should induct the people who deserve it be that 10 people or only 5.There should not be a rule that you have to induct a minimum or maximum number of people every year.
The problem is the people being left out are not undeserving of being in but are being left out because of a backlog basically.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: