Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Adrian Peterson named MVP and Offensive Player of the Year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellerman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well deserved award for one of the all-time great runningbacks. Also good to see that non-QB's can still win the award.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts:

APs injury is the reason he was up for comeback award.
His play this season is the reason he was offensive player of the year and MVP.
Manning missed the whole season last year, so he was rightfully the comeback winner.
Manning inherited a team that had went to the playoffs the year before.
The MVQB was not even Manning this year, it was Rodgers.

The way MVP should be judged is, like the following: Remove the player from the team for the whole season, and what is net decrease in team success (judged on whatever you feel like wins). I think AP would have had the highest.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He really deserved it. Without him where would the Vikings have even been this season.
RayBringsPain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
A joke Manning got that many votes...

Agreed.

More than a few of those are just sympathy votes after watching him choke away so many playoff games.

A few more years he'll be done and it wont matter.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
The way MVP should be judged is, like the following: Remove the player from the team for the whole season, and what is net decrease in team success (judged on whatever you feel like wins). I think AP would have had the highest.

If youre going to judge the award that way, then Aaron Rodgers should have won it. If the Packers were forced to start Graham Harrell at QB for an extended time, they would be a worse team than an Adrian Peterson less Vikings. Toby Gerhart showed in 2011 that he isnt a bad RB when he get can extended carries. Sure he wouldnt have nearly as many explosive runs, but with a somewhat strong defense, the Vikings would have found some success.

The Packers have no run game or defense to lean on as it is. Take away there passing game, they have nothing.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:

I disagree. I think it should simply be the player who dominated his position more than any other. That way it's an inclusive award rather than a QB-centric award.

CK on the sig
yankee0724

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
If he didn't comeback, we wouldn't think of his season any less....

Then why wasn't Chris Johnson's 2009 season viewed as highly as APs has been? They were quite similar, statistically.

Wins.

And if you mean by the fans, it was.

I meant by the people voting. The Titans won 8 games that season, the Vikings won 10 this season. CJ got 0 votes that season.

Either those two wins mean the difference between 0 votes and winning the award, or the people voting do find Peterson coming back from an injury that impressive.

The point is, it's not just Viking fans who are very very impressed with his return to football. Trying to portray this as the Vikings fans cramming the injury story down our throats is totally inaccurate.

Whether or not they should take his injury into consideration when voting is a totally different argument however.

Its the two wins. That's it. If you arent on a winning team, you arent considered for the award. Period.

So if a team goes 1-15, but their RB gets 5000 yards and 40 td's [yes, his team's defense is REALLY bad], he wouldn't be up for discussion as MVP? Find that hard to believe.

Quote:
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:

If youre going to judge the award that way, then Aaron Rodgers should have won it. If the Packers were forced to start Graham Harrell at QB for an extended time, they would be a worse team than an Adrian Peterson less Vikings. Toby Gerhart showed in 2011 that he isnt a bad RB when he get can extended carries. Sure he wouldnt have nearly as many explosive runs, but with a somewhat strong defense, the Vikings would have found some success.

The Packers have no run game or defense to lean on as it is. Take away there passing game, they have nothing.

I can agree with this as well. What I meant is that APs negative would have been higher then Manning's. Which is why I said Rodgers was actually the most valuable QB.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Mark Sanchez finished 3rd in the MVP vote.

Take that haters. Cool

Quote:
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
If he didn't comeback, we wouldn't think of his season any less....

Then why wasn't Chris Johnson's 2009 season viewed as highly as APs has been? They were quite similar, statistically.

Wins.

And if you mean by the fans, it was.

I meant by the people voting. The Titans won 8 games that season, the Vikings won 10 this season. CJ got 0 votes that season.

Either those two wins mean the difference between 0 votes and winning the award, or the people voting do find Peterson coming back from an injury that impressive.

The point is, it's not just Viking fans who are very very impressed with his return to football. Trying to portray this as the Vikings fans cramming the injury story down our throats is totally inaccurate.

Whether or not they should take his injury into consideration when voting is a totally different argument however.

Its the two wins. That's it. If you arent on a winning team, you arent considered for the award. Period.

So if a team goes 1-15, but their RB gets 5000 yards and 40 td's [yes, his team's defense is REALLY bad], he wouldn't be up for discussion as MVP? Find that hard to believe.

What if he had a bazillion yards and a gajillion TDs? Right? Laughing

Show me all those players on losing teams that have garnered votes. Even a single vote. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I am saying that's how it is.

CK on the sig
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm extremely happy that AD won the MVP award, I do think it's strange that he and Peyton Manning were the only ones getting any votes. I wouldn't have been offended at all if JJ Watt or Aaron Rodgers had gotten some votes. Those guys had great seasons as well.

It almost seems like Peyton was the one they wanted to give it to even before the season started, but AD's amazing year changed their plans for them.

As far as the Offensive Player of the Year award is concerned, I think it should have gone to Megatron. A season like he had was deserving of some recognition as well. No other receiver has ever had a season like Calvin had this year.

When it comes to the MVP though, Adrian was the most deserving candidate in my mind.

Elisha Cuthbert - Yet another hottie who loves wearing purple and white. Very Happy Go Vikings!

Big props to gopherwrestler for this awesome sig!
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:
Also, Mark Sanchez finished 3rd in the MVP vote.

Take that haters. Cool

He finished tied for third. Get it right. Wink

CK on the sig
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
yankee0724 wrote:

What if he had a bazillion yards and a gajillion TDs? Right? Laughing

Show me all those players on losing teams that have garnered votes. Even a single vote. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I am saying that's how it is.

It would be nice if they would just change the name of the Most Valuable Player award to Most Outstanding Player. That would solve a lot of arguments in a league where the quarterback position has become so important. It would also give some great defensive players a shot at getting recognized too.

Elisha Cuthbert - Yet another hottie who loves wearing purple and white. Very Happy Go Vikings!

Big props to gopherwrestler for this awesome sig!
simonwayne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:
So if a team goes 1-15, but their RB gets 5000 yards and 40 td's, he wouldn't be up for discussion as MVP? Find that hard to believe.

Would never happen
yankee0724

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
yankee0724 wrote:
So if a team goes 1-15, but their RB gets 5000 yards and 40 td's, he wouldn't be up for discussion as MVP? Find that hard to believe.

Would never happen

Depends how bad the team's defense is.

Obviously it was an over-exaggeration...

Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: