Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles sign former Steelers QB Dennis Dixon to a 2-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
What does the Eagles fan base think of Foles? With the way he played I'd assume he'd warrant a 3rd round pick. I just don't see him fitting in with Chip's offense and Dixon looked pretty good with the Steelers in his short stint as starter. Trading Foles to draft some help in the secondary, o-line, or linebacker spot seems ideal, IMO.
Valid post and good question. Some thought Chip would install an up-tempo, pre-snap read (like New England) type offense, which would suit Foles better. But with Vick getting another chance, and Dixon being brought in as depth, it seems as though Chip will be running more of a read-option/spread style of offense.

So I think trading Foles would make sense, but his value is most likely a 4th right now, as he didn't prove much last year. But for some reason, Chip stated that he wants to hold an open competition between Vick and Foles for that starting job, but I think we all know that it's pretty much Vick's job to lose (even though a lot of Eagles fans were not happy to see Vick coming back).
justo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noice. Always a fan of Dixon. Great person
Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want nothing more than to see a Dennis Dixon led, Kelly-coached team win a Super Bowl.

Probably won't happen, though. I don't think DD starts.

Oregon RB Tracker
Marshall: 201 rush yds(9.6), 235 rec yds(13.1), 3 TDs
Tyner: 175 rush yds(4.4), 31 rec yds(4.4), 1 TD
Freeman: 261 rush yds(5.4), 33 rec yds(11.0), 5 TDs
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
What does the Eagles fan base think of Foles? With the way he played I'd assume he'd warrant a 3rd round pick. I just don't see him fitting in with Chip's offense and Dixon looked pretty good with the Steelers in his short stint as starter. Trading Foles to draft some help in the secondary, o-line, or linebacker spot seems ideal, IMO.

Foles hopefully ends up the starter so we don't run a stupid zone read run first offense.

Matts4313 wrote:
How drunk on you?
ArodFanboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
bears2308 wrote:

Foles hopefully ends up the starter so we don't run a stupid zone read run first offense.

I don't think you absolutely have to run a zone read if Vick is starting. If anything, Kelly should focus on getting the ball out quickly for Vick, at least at first. Let him restore some of his past confidence before taking off with his legs much. Having him run around too much is the quickest way to bury him imo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an awesome signing. You get a 3rd string quarterback that will know the terminology of the offense from day one. That means both Foles and Vick will be academically pushed from day one to keep up with Dixon. This is the perfect move to get the best quarterback competition out of Vick and Foles.

That being said I doubt Dixon ever has a shot higher then #2 if Vick is cut preseason and he won't make the roster if they keep Vick.

Great job by the Eagles getting this done.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChampionChip?

I hate the Jaguars
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
This is an awesome signing. You get a 3rd string quarterback that will know the terminology of the offense from day one. That means both Foles and Vick will be academically pushed from day one to keep up with Dixon. This is the perfect move to get the best quarterback competition out of Vick and Foles.

That being said I doubt Dixon ever has a shot higher then #2 if Vick is cut preseason and he won't make the roster if they keep Vick.

I agree its a great signing... but why wouldn't he make the roster if the keep Vick? Who would be #3?

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm cool with Dixon. Starting experience, mind of Chip. It's not like he's starting like what Spurrier did with Danny W.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
Withmy89vision

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArodFanboy wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
bears2308 wrote:

I don't think you absolutely have to run a zone read if Vick is starting. If anything, Kelly should focus on getting the ball out quickly for Vick, at least at first. Let him restore some of his past confidence before taking off with his legs much. Having him run around too much is the quickest way to bury him imo.

That's what Reid tried, doesn't work. He's too short and indecisive. We have to let Vick be Vick, and if he gets hurt that is why we have Dixon. We should just trade Foles to help our oline or defense, then sign a guy like Garrard, Wallace or TJack.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

I agree its a great signing... but why wouldn't he make the roster if the keep Vick? Who would be #3?

I was under the impression most teams don't carry a #3 on the Roster unless it's a raw developmental guy. I know San Diego rarely carries 3 and thought it was similar league wide.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#ChampioCHIP
#ChipLife
#CHIPingAway

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
BrettFavre4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good signing. Can't say I was impressed with Dixon in Pittsburgh when he had to play when Roethlisberger went down (I am a Steelers and Bills fan) but if he knows Kelly and his offense he has an advantage. I will admit it was hard for Dixon to really show much because he was never getting by Roethlisberger for the starting job there, obviously.

I have to think the Eagles start shopping Foles now and according to rumors, the Chiefs and Andy Reid are interested in acquiring him. I still think Vick's the starter going into the season and I think Dixon can be a decent backup with a rookie as third string. I expect Edwards will be released in the coming weeks and the Eagles role with three QBs on the 53-man roster. However, maybe by getting Dixon they will feel the need to pass on drafting a QB in a weak class and give Foles another year as backup and Dixon as the #3? That could be a scenario too.
JLaw45

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:

I was under the impression most teams don't carry a #3 on the Roster unless it's a raw developmental guy. I know San Diego rarely carries 3 and thought it was similar league wide.

The number of teams still carrying 3rd QBs is still in the majority, I believe. I base that on my look at the depth charts for this past season.
Just looking at your division (AFC West), for example, the Chargers only kept 2 QBs (surprised me, I thought they might have kept Lee around after preseason).

The Raiders, Chiefs, and Broncos, however, all carried 3 QBs this season. The Chargers were the lone team in their division not to do so.

In the Eagles' NFC East, both the Giants and the Cowboys did the 2 QB thing, but the Eagles and Redskins each kept 3 QBs.

The 2 QB move is fairly recent and has grown, but it isn't the norm just yet. At least a slight majority of teams are still keeping 3 guys.
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLaw45 wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

The number of teams still carrying 3rd QBs is still in the majority, I believe. I base that on my look at the depth charts for this past season.
Just looking at your division (AFC West), for example, the Chargers only kept 2 QBs (surprised me, I thought they might have kept Lee around after preseason).

The Raiders, Chiefs, and Broncos, however, all carried 3 QBs this season. The Chargers were the lone team in their division not to do so.

In the Eagles' NFC East, both the Giants and the Cowboys did the 2 QB thing, but the Eagles and Redskins each kept 3 QBs.

The 2 QB move is fairly recent and has grown, but it isn't the norm just yet. At least a slight majority of teams are still keeping 3 guys.

The majority of teams that only carry two QB are those who are lucky enough to have a proven QB (consecutive game streak) who usually plays all 16+. Both Mannings, Rivers, Brees, Romo, Rodgers (not sure) type QB's. The rest almost always carry three. I can't even fathom how nice it must be for the Giants to have a QB regardless of how well he plays show up every single game of his career. Having that kind of consistency is immeasurable IMO. Hell the Eagles have had 6 different QB starts for them over the last 4 seasons.

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 4 Gm/ 20 Rec/ 353 Yds/ 3 TD/ 17.7 YPC/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: