Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints hire former Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
tom cody wrote:
Ryan's a good defensive co-ordinator. Good hire by the Saints.
according to what results? His brother is a good defensive coordinator. Rob is mediocre at best. just like the talent on their defense in New Orleans.

If this isn't blatant trolling I don't know what is Laughing

If this isn't the 1,235,672,126,125,521st time I've told members to PM a moderator if they think someone is trolling rather than deal with it themselves, then it's the 1,235,672,126,125,520th.

And no, it's not trolling. He absolutely is allowed to state his opinion on our defensive talent in a thread about our new defensive coordinator.

I'm sorry but randomly inserting "Just like the talent on their defense in New Orleans" at the end of that is just taking a cheap jab at Nawlins, but you're the moderator here so I regress.

This is a thread about our defense.

If he thinks our defensive talent is mediocre, he has every right to make that point and he doesn't have to sugar coat it.

thank you.

Am I blunt here? yes.
Am I honest here? yes.

You have a total of 3 players who are worth a starting spot in New Orleans on the front 7. Curtis Lofton, David Hawthorne and Cameron Jordan.
You have 4 more players who are solid rotational types but don't deserve to start. Junior Galette, Martez Wilson, Greg Romeus and Brodrick Bunkley.
Then you have one guy who could develop into a starting caliber player to give you four of your seven needed. Akiem Hicks.

That's mediocre talent at best. Especially in the NFL when you need at least 8-9 starting caliber players in the front seven.

But trolling? no.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so we're clear here, I disagree with you. Wink

I just didn't think you did anything against forum rules. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
tom cody wrote:
according to what results? His brother is a good defensive coordinator. Rob is mediocre at best. just like the talent on their defense in New Orleans.

If this isn't the 1,235,672,126,125,521st time I've told members to PM a moderator if they think someone is trolling rather than deal with it themselves, then it's the 1,235,672,126,125,520th.

And no, it's not trolling. He absolutely is allowed to state his opinion on our defensive talent in a thread about our new defensive coordinator.

I'm sorry but randomly inserting "Just like the talent on their defense in New Orleans" at the end of that is just taking a cheap jab at Nawlins, but you're the moderator here so I regress.

If he thinks our defensive talent is mediocre, he has every right to make that point and he doesn't have to sugar coat it.

thank you.

Am I blunt here? yes.
Am I honest here? yes.

You have a total of 3 players who are worth a starting spot in New Orleans on the front 7. Curtis Lofton, David Hawthorne and Cameron Jordan.
You have 4 more players who are solid rotational types but don't deserve to start. Junior Galette, Martez Wilson, Greg Romeus and Brodrick Bunkley.
Then you have one guy who could develop into a starting caliber player to give you four of your seven needed. Akiem Hicks.

That's mediocre talent at best. Especially in the NFL when you need at least 8-9 starting caliber players in the front seven.

But trolling? no.

Martez Wilson and Junior Galette both ranked in the top 15 on PFFs top 15 in Pass Rushing Productivity among 4-3 ends who played at least 25% of their teams snaps, with Galette coming in as the fourth-most productive rusher.
I think both could benefit from the switch to a 3-4.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Just so we're clear here, I disagree with you. Wink

I just didn't think you did anything against forum rules. Very Happy

I thought it was funny. I literally was about to type the same thing as a response to that post and have no interests what so ever in the NFCS. Laughing

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 14 Gm/ 78 Rec/ 1207 Yds/ 10 TD/ 15.5 YPC/
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
tom cody wrote:

thank you.

Am I blunt here? yes.
Am I honest here? yes.

But trolling? no.

I agree, you aren't trolling. But some of your statements need clarifying. Our LB corp outside of Lofton is terrible so to post that Hawthorne should be a starter after the 3-4 switch is questionable. Galette has been EXTREMELY productive...what little he plays. (hopefully) when Will Smith leaves I think having him at OLB will maximize his talents and let him grow. Again, Tez Wilson was a damn good ILB at Illinois in their 3-4. We asked him to play 4-3 DE and were perplexed as to why it didn't work out. Him moving next to Lofton would be the smartest thing to do. Cam Jordan struggled with everything his rookie year outside of run stuffing. His 2nd year he got much, much better. Putting him back in the position he played in Cal should (hopefully) turn him into that DE we have wanted. Hicks has the tools and is freakishly strong and equally quick for someone his size. I highly doubt we retain Sedrick Ellis, so he'll get more playing time and we can see how good he really is. Bunkley I'm not sold on, but we will see what happens with him...And poor Romeus tears his MCL bending over to tie his cleats (being facetious). The boy can't stay healthy. Hasn't played a snap of regular season football so who knows that he is capable of.

We have talent. But our talent lies with the 3-4...We've been running with decent talent in a 4-3 with much of our players playing positions that are foreign to them. That AND stupid, stupid coaching in the past. This has to be a step in the right direction...Based off of last season's defense, it can't really get worse.

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson
ATT YDS TD LONG
I STOPPED CARING.

Keenan Lewis
T PD INT
STILL DONT CARE
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:

Martez Wilson and Junior Galette both ranked in the top 15 on PFFs top 15 in Pass Rushing Productivity among 4-3 ends who played at least 25% of their teams snaps, with Galette coming in as the fourth-most productive rusher.

and to start you need to play the run AND the pass. not just be good as a pass rusher.

sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
tom cody wrote:

thank you.

Am I blunt here? yes.
Am I honest here? yes.

But trolling? no.

Talent has nothing to do with it. Wilson and Hicks are probably the most talented guys on the defense. They are both extremely raw...yes. But this defense isn't lacking in talent.

Definitely, a few veteran players need to be added to the mix. I think that Bunkley will be fine as a 1-gap NT...but depth will be needed behind him. More depth is needed at DE (though Jordan/Hicks/Johnson have tons of potential). ILB has pretty good depth actually, as Hawthorne, Lofton, and Wilson should be fine. OLB definitely needs to be addressed. The only true OLB on the team is Galette, and he has never played in a 3-4. His skill set makes him look like the ideal 3-4 WOLB...but only time will tell.

This is an organizational decision to go to the 3-4. The reason is because it would allow their best pass rushers...Galette, Wilson, and Jordan to be at their natural positions. I think for that reason alone it was the right decision. Jordan is going to be a stud...I don't think anyone is questioning that. But whether or not Wilson and Galette pan out is a big question mark...but at least now they will be put in a position to thrive.
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

and to start you need to play the run AND the pass. not just be good as a pass rusher.

How often does Ware and Aldon Smith drop back into coverage? That's the role of Galette...3-4 WOLB. I am not convince that Wilson will even play OLB...I think that he is a natural fit at 3-4 SILB. He is a freak at blitzing up the gut...and isn't bad in zone coverage. I think that the Saints starting SOLB isn't on the roster yet (will likely be a rookie/Spencer/Butler).
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

How often does Ware and Aldon Smith drop back into coverage? That's the role of Galette...3-4 WOLB. I am not convince that Wilson will even play OLB...I think that he is a natural fit at 3-4 SILB. He is a freak at blitzing up the gut...and isn't bad in zone coverage. I think that the Saints starting SOLB isn't on the roster yet (will likely be a rookie/Spencer/Butler).

what? are you kidding me? I'm talking about playing the run. Those two severely lack there. It's why they aren't starting caliber players.

JWingate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Under Rob Ryan, DeMarcus Ware was in coverage less than he has been but he was still in coverage about 15-25% of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

I'm well aware, but being a very good pass rusher is a great start and like I said, both players should benefit from the switch to a 3-4.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

what? are you kidding me? I'm talking about playing the run. Those two severely lack there. It's why they aren't starting caliber players.

Martez Wilson lacked it at DE, he's more than capable as an ILB and Aldon Smith wasn't anything special against the run his first year either, Galette could certainly improve against the run at OLB and given more playing time. You keep saying they aren't starters but you keep neglecting to mention that they have tons of potential.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Under Rob Ryan, DeMarcus Ware was in coverage less than he has been but he was still in coverage about 15-25% of the time.

To be more exact, he dropped 27 times in the first 8 games vs. rushing just under 200 times. That changed a bit as the season went, but that's the exact number based on charting every snap.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Martez Wilson lacked it at DE, he's more than capable as an ILB and Aldon Smith wasn't anything special against the run his first year either, Galette could certainly improve against the run at OLB and given more playing time. You keep saying they aren't starters but you keep neglecting to mention that they have tons of potential.
Wilson maybe. I don't see it in Galette though. will be a Tully Banta-Cain at best. good pass rusher, but will never develop in the run game because he just doesn't get it. Wilson at ILB isn't a bad fit, but then you just wasted all that money on Hawthorne.

pierrepet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2013/2/7/3962548/why-the-saints-may-need-rob-ryan

Thought this was a good read.

Quote:
That leads me to another angle on Ryan. We may look at his former teams and their statistics and feel quite underwhelmed but let's look at what types of offensive leadership his defenses had to make up for.

Oakland 2004-2008 QB's: Kerry Collins ('04-'05), Aaron Brooks ('06), and JaMarcus Russell ('07-'0Cool Head Coaches: Norv Turner, Art Shell, Lane Kiffin, and Tom Cable

Cleveland 2009-2010 QB's: Derek Anderson ('09), Jake Delhomme and Colt McCoy ('10) Head Coach: Eric Mangini

Dallas 2011-2012 QB: Tony Romo Head Coach: Jason Garrett

You could combine all of these quarterbacks into a Voltron-style mega QB and still they couldn't come within 100 yards of Drew Brees' talent, heart, and leadership. When Tony Romo is the absolute best quarterback you've ever had opposite your defense it's not saying a lot. So clearly Ryan hasn't had a lot of backup over the years and his defenses have had to do a serious amount of compensation and load carrying.

Rob Ryan paired opposite Sean Payton and Drew Brees on offense could potentially be an intimidating combination for the rest of the NFL to prepare for. Although Ryan is a long-time 3-4 disciple (which is ideal) the 4-3 is not foreign to him from his Raider days.

I think he was the scapegoat in Dallas last season. I think with the Saints offense, there is potential for another 2009 type season for the Saints. I'm getting hyped for the draft now!

The season that the Saints won the SB, they were blessed witha defense that caused numerous turnovers (IIRC). The reason Ryan was released in Dallas is because his scheme never created turnovers. In fact, it never cam close. Ryan deserved to be let go from Dallas - I cannot comprehend why people fell like he is a victim.

Ironm1ke: "I am a huge Eli supporter, but his 2012 campaign was an epic turd."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: