You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns wouldn't rule out trading Brandon Weeden, Colt McCoy
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Browns wouldn't rule out trading Brandon Weeden, Colt McCoy Reply with quote

Quote:
Browns coach Rob Chudzinski won't rule out listening to trade offers for quarterbacks Brandon Brandon Weeden and Colt McCoy.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/02/browns_coach_rob_chudzinski_wo.html

Weeden was selected in the first round last season at age 28 and ended up starting 15 games for the Browns, under new head coach Rob Chudzinski Weeden's isn't even insured a roster spot on the Browns.
Tom Brady Tribute
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of people like to bash Weeden, but he didn't play half bad last year. He was ok for a rookie. Seems rash to throw him under the bus.

Then again, he might win the spot. But this doesn't exactly show any confidence in the guy.

~T.S. Eliot
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
I know a lot of people like to bash Weeden, but he didn't play half bad last year. He was ok for a rookie. Seems rash to throw him under the bus.

Then again, he might win the spot. But this doesn't exactly show any confidence in the guy.

How long can you wait for him to develop? Not to mention new HC probably wants his own QB
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
theJ wrote:

How long can you wait for him to develop? Not to mention new HC probably wants his own QB

Considering the availability of QB's out there, i'd give him another year at the very least.

What else is Cleveland going to do? Go after Alex Smith? Matt Flynn? What would be the point?

~T.S. Eliot
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mingya Mary Kay..... What Chud said was they would be open to improving their team, If something came along that is going to definitively improve your team yes your going to be open to it, that does not mean that it will happen
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better question is who the hell would think they aren't on the trade block? The Browns have a new regime and two disappointing QBs. The surprising thing would be if the Browns actually found a trading partner... Neither QB is worth more than a late-round pick.

theJ wrote:

In the modern NFL, 72.6 QB Rating is bad, even for a rookie. And lets not forget he was a 28-year old rookie, the age most QBs are in their prime (to put it into perspective, Weeden is three months older than Aaron Rodgers, a QB who was drafted seven years prior). Even if he can become an okay QB, how long can he realistically keep it up before he starts to decline? He's a huge bust for a 1st round pick and cannot be the long-term answer with the Browns, or anywhere. Realistically the best the Browns or any other team could hope for is a solid starter for a few years while they search for their franchise guy.

theJ wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
theJ wrote:

Considering the availability of QB's out there, i'd give him another year at the very least.

What else is Cleveland going to do? Go after Alex Smith? Matt Flynn? What would be the point?

Alex Smith is younger than Brandon Weeden, more experienced than Weeden, and has proven more than Weeden in the NFL. How is Alex Smith not a completely superior option?

Nacho Simulation Football League
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't news to me. Imo, there was always a chance of this when the got a new regime. I mean, look how old he is. It would make sense for a new regime to not be comfortable with it like the old one was.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Cleveland traded Brandon Weeden... where would it rank on the all-time scale as far as bad first round selections go?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
The better question is who the hell would think they aren't on the trade block? The Browns have a new regime and two disappointing QBs. The surprising thing would be if the Browns actually found a trading partner... Neither QB is worth more than a late-round pick.

In the modern NFL, 72.6 QB Rating is bad, even for a rookie. And lets not forget he was a 28-year old rookie, the age most QBs are in their prime (to put it into perspective, Weeden is three months older than Aaron Rodgers, a QB who was drafted seven years prior). Even if he can become an okay QB, how long can he realistically keep it up before he starts to decline? He's a huge bust for a 1st round pick and cannot be the long-term answer with the Browns, or anywhere. Realistically the best the Browns or any other team could hope for is a solid starter for a few years while they search for their franchise guy.

Alex Smith is younger than Brandon Weeden, more experienced than Weeden, and has proven more than Weeden in the NFL. How is Alex Smith not a completely superior option?

That rating isn't good, but it's a lot better when you consider 4 of his picks came in his first game. I'm willing to give a pass on that.

He had a lot of bad games, sure. But he also had some good games.

I guess i look at it like this: they could go with Alex. But they have more problems than just the QB. With Alex they're still a 6 win team. They could throw Weeden under the bus and sign Alex to a 4-5 year deal, then ride mediocrity for a few years. Great.

Or they go with Weeden for one more year. Let's say there's a 5% chance he turns into a pretty good NFL QB and can lead them to 8+ wins. That's a percentage i'm willing to play because i think there's a <1% chance that Alex can do the same thing. We know what Alex is. Many think they know what Weeden is (i think that's very rash, and mostly driven by the fact that OMGZ HE'S LIKE 90 YEARS OLD AND HE NEVER IMPROVE BECAUSE OF THAT). Then if Weeden fails this year, they ditch him and draft someone in the following draft. If they go with Alex they're committed for another few years.

~T.S. Eliot
49ersfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
If Cleveland traded Brandon Weeden... where would it rank on the all-time scale as far as bad first round selections go?

Taking a 28 year old developmental QB for a rebuilding team....it's got to rank pretty high already.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it is with the Revis situation, won't rule out listening to trade offers =/= they're trying to trade him.

It's smart to have this approach with every player on your roster. I don't understand why this seems to be a big deal.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
theJ wrote:

Alex Smith would be the smart decision. He's worked with Norv Turner before, and would be a decent stop-gap until Cleveland drafts Teddy Bridgewater next year.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
theJ wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
theJ wrote:

Alex Smith would be the smart decision. He's worked with Norv Turner before, and would be a decent stop-gap until Cleveland drafts Teddy Bridgewater next year.

I'm fine with Smith, but I don't want to have to trade for him.

The Browns are not a very good team, but Bridgewater is probably going top 2 next year. We are not that bad.

Though I guess you never know.

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
candyman93

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Smith was awful until he had elite talent around him.

I don't understand why people like him
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Alex Smith was awful until he had elite talent around him.

I don't understand why people like him

I'm honestly confused as to when he had elite talent around him.

His Oline is definitely beastly and his coach is a QB guru.

Gore is not elite
Davis is top 5
His WR are definitely not elite.

I agree that he needed better players around him, but so do most.

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: