Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots release WR Brandon Lloyd; Prevents $3M bonus
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Patriots release WR Brandon Lloyd; Prevents $3M bonus Reply with quote

Quote:
When the Patriots signed Brandon Lloyd during the 2012 offseason, they gave themselves an out heading into 2013 by including an option bonus. The Patriots are now expected to use that out.
Bedard cited “erratic behavior in the locker room and on the practice field” as a reason the Patriots may not choose to bring back the wideout. Lloyd has been known for his hot and cold demeanor his entire career.

http://nesn.com/2013/02/report-brandon-lloyd-not-expected-to-be-back-for-2013-season-due-to-erratic-behavior/

Lloyd has a $3 million option on the 3-year, $12 million he signed last season.

The 10-year veteran played for 6 NFL teams in his career and was expected to bring deep threat ability to New England after leading the NFL in receiving yards with 1,448 in 2010 but finished with 74 catches for 911 yards and 4 TDs in 2012.

He still has some ability to make acrobatic catches but he isn't worth the $4.9M he is due to make if the Patriots pick-up his option.

***Update***
Quote:
The Patriots will release Brandon Lloyd, according to a source.

http://twitter.com/jeffphowe/statuses/313005576110096384

***Update***
Quote:
And ... Brandon Lloyd has been released by the Patriots -- Which needed to happen by 3:59. So he's officially a free agent.

http://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/313018073558945793
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:07 pm; edited 4 times in total
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd offer to take a paycut if I were him. He had good production on that team and they're a legit title threat. I'd look to stick around if I'm Lloyd.

CrapTakula wrote:
Cleveland steamer?

make sure you wash well.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
I'd offer to take a paycut if I were him. He had good production on that team and they're a legit title threat. I'd look to stick around if I'm Lloyd.

I bet that the Patriots ask him for a pay-cut, but i don't think he's worth the nearly $5M next season.
Tom Brady Tribute
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

I bet that the Patriots ask him for a pay-cut, but i don't think he's worth the nearly $5M next season.

Agreed, but 74 rec, 911 yards and 4 TDs is pretty good production still. Then again, I'm a Raider fan so those numbers are huge compared to what I'm used to Laughing

..... Crying or Very sad

CrapTakula wrote:
Cleveland steamer?

make sure you wash well.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#CurseOf85...
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
#CurseOf85...

Hahaha

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can come back to St. Louis, Brandon.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Jonezy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
You can come back to St. Louis, Brandon.

Wouldn't surprise me tbh

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
49ersfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that only when these guys are close to being released are reports of "erratic behavior" coming to light.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
BrettFavre4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erratic behavior? Has Lloyd had a history of being a problem not only in New England but on previous teams? I don't seem to recall it.

If so, stupid of him to potentially ruin it for himself. He got into a lucky situation last offseason (McDaniels returned to New England and the Patriots needed a #2) and he couldn't have asked for better after regressing in St. Louis and Denver to come to a team with his old HC/OC and Tom Brady as his QB. Seemed to have been perfect for him at the time and while he was a bit disappointing last season, still put up good numbers. Many thought he'd have a bounce-back season and it was reasonable to lock him in for at least 1000 yards but he didn't quite make it but still was alright.

If the Patriots release him I find it hard to believe they'll let Welker walk. Unless they plan on bringing in Bowe or someone and drafting a WR early. If both Welker and Lloyd are let go, New England will be in dire need of WRs with Edelman also a UFA. Could be some big changes in the passing game for them.
Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre4 wrote:
Erratic behavior? Has Lloyd had a history of being a problem not only in New England but on previous teams? I don't seem to recall it.
Yes, it was out there. He can definitely be a very nice guy and looks great when he's being interviewed, but there are multiple reports of some "WTF" behavior.
Quote:
You just never know what you're going to get with Lloyd, and either you can deal with it or you can't. For example, talked to one player a few weeks ago that said he was talking to Lloyd about something and suddenly Lloyd said in mid-sentence, "I don't want to talk to you anymore," and put his headphones on.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/02/thoughts_on_bra.html
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre4 wrote:

Yes, he does have history.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/03/11/patriots_could_be_a_fit_for_brandon_lloyd_because_of_mcdaniels/

Quote:
The book on Lloyd, according to several league sources at his various stops, is that he can be moody and surly, depending on the day, and a bit selfish. You won’t find many teammates who have good things to say about him.

Quote:
“I know you’ve heard he was good in the building, but he wasn’t necessarily an angel in the building,’’ said the Broncos source. “He wasn’t a good teammate. During games, he was asking the stat person to see how many catches and yards he had at that point in the game when [Kyle] Orton was starting.

“He has that locker room lawyer-type in him. Publicly he’ll say all the right things, but in the locker room he’ll voice his opinion.

“He’s extremely intelligent. Very articulate, very well-read, but there were times when people in the building thought he may be bipolar - and not joking - because he has days where he’s up and ready to go and happy-go-lucky and he’s like, ‘Hey, what’s up? How’s it going?’

“And then there were other days when he was surly and moody, and you just know it’s not a good day to approach him.

“He’s kind of a different cat, I’ll say that.’’

Tom Brady Tribute
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A soft receiver who turns out to be a locker room cancer. Never heard of that one before!

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
A soft receiver who turns out to be a locker room cancer. Never heard of that one before!

Patriots are going to sign Titus Young, aren't they?
TomRalph

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

Patriots are going to sign Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowe, aren't they?

FIFY Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: