Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Revis Officially Traded to Tampa!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Yea, Jets should take that offer and run.

Revis is great, but if you're giving over $15 million a year, he's not THAT valuable an asset. It was a buyer's market for cornerbacks this year. You could have gotten a passable #1 corner for a third of that, and kept those valuable picks.

That is because the CBs on the market were JAGs...

Props to El Ramster on the sig
patman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Jetsman82 wrote:
As usual it seems people are overrating the value and impact a first round player can have.

Yea, sure, it's easy to say, "oh, why not just draft two impact players instead of trade for one?"

It's a little more complicated than that. First round picks have about a 50% success rate. So, even if you do everything right, you can still be wrong. Saying you're going to hit twice brings that down to 25%.

Would you wager on that 25% chance you're going to hit twice? Or would you wager on the 100% chance Revis is going to be a top-5 player on defense. Health could be an issue, but I don't think a trade would happen regardless unless the Bucs felt good about him. If Revis is healthy, he's the best CB. And since I doubt a trade would happen if he weren't healthy, I'm going to assume he is for this.
If your front office doesn't think they can hit on their picks, they should be fired. Plain and simple.

That's not the point. You obviously think you're picking the right guy at the time, that's why you're picking him. Truth be told, that mentality is partially why the Jets are in trouble right now. They assumed they'd hit on all of their picks, and didn't have enough of them to compensate for when they didn't.

History tells us first round picks have a success rate of around 50%. That's just success rate, not pro-bowl or all-pro rate. I imagine the number is much lower then. The chances of any team drafting a player that is as dominant as Revis is pretty slim, really almost none IMO. If the Bucs trade for Revis, they are the favorites to win the South IMO. And please don't just say, "they could just draft Xavier Rhodes!". Like I've said, the chances of Rhodes just being good is around 50%. There have been many, many CB's taken in the first round since Revis, and none of them are at his level.

Also, to the guy who asked if Revis walks. I would think any trade would involve an extension. No extension = no trade.

you don't compare spending 12 mill + and giving a first rd choice for a vet and then compare the production between the two. You compare it To signing Brandon Carr or Joseph + your draft choice.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBando wrote:
I can't wait until they wait too long and he comes to us in free agency.
Right because no other team has cap room and the Bucs have a great winning tradition to offer him Rolling Eyes
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

Revis is great, but if you're giving over $15 million a year, he's not THAT valuable an asset. It was a buyer's market for cornerbacks this year. You could have gotten a passable #1 corner for a third of that, and kept those valuable picks.

I have no idea what that means.
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

Just another guy?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

Just another guy?

Gotcha.

But I disagree with above. If I were a team with cap space I'd pick three of: Keenan Allen, Sean Smith, Cary Williams, Derek Cox, or even Leodis McKelvin, over putting all that in Revis AND losing a 1st, 3rd, and 6th.
Renegades5544

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

Just another guy?

Gotcha.

But I disagree with above. If I were a team with cap space I'd pick three of: Keenan Allen, Sean Smith, Cary Williams, Derek Cox, or even Leodis McKelvin, over putting all that in Revis AND losing a 1st, 3rd, and 6th.

First of all, I'm not convinced we're going to give Revis $15 million a year, who knows though. But if it were as easy as what you just described, things would be different. Convincing one free agent to join your team is hard enough, no less three.
Also, obviously a difference in opinion, but I'll take one difference maker over a few good to average players. I just hope we don't give up next year's first.

^Props to eggybucsfan31 for the sig ^
BBando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
BBando wrote:
Right because no other team has cap room and the Bucs have a great winning tradition to offer him Rolling Eyes
Coming from a Jets fan. Laughing Doubt he cares who he will be playing for. He will be happy with the 15 mil we give him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBando wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
BBando wrote:
Coming from a Jets fan. Laughing Doubt he cares who he will be playing for. He will be happy with the 15 mil we give him.

Pretty sure he was talking about teams like the Patriots who have issues in the secondary and some extra cap space thanks to Brady. Plus the loss of Welker and Talib only being on a one year deal. The redskins should be able to Spend again next offseason too.

Waiting for him to reach Fa is a major risk if you want the guy.
Technically yes... BUT by laws of playoff football, The Andrew Lucks lost to the Quarterbackbowl 47 winning Joe Flaccos. Whereas the Russel Wilsons lost to the Matt Ryans, who didnt even beat the Colin Kaepernicks.
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those who dont feel Revis is worth is I bet San Francisco wished they had him to put on Anquan Boldin in the Super Bowl or Seattle had him to help shut down Roddy or Julio

Revis is God-like at the CB position, its essentially

Revis

Everyone else

If we trade him I'll literally cry, I dont want to pay him 14-16M but 12-13M is well worth it in my book

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
TomRalph

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
To those who dont feel Revis is worth is I bet San Francisco wished they had him to put on Anquan Boldin in the Super Bowl or Seattle had him to help shut down Roddy or Julio

Revis is God-like at the CB position

Richard Sherman is a pretty good CB Confused though I REALLY don't want to ignite another Sherman vs. Revis debate.

Jets really need to take a 1st, 3rd and a 6th for Revis. Not only is a $15m p/y contract from a CB really bad business, no matter how good that CB might be, and a 28 year old CB is not going to help a Jets team that is in serious need of a rebuild - that $15m in cap space as well as all those picks could really propel the Jets rebuilding strategy and get them back to where they want to be much more quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet's office needs to stop bluffing like idiots and take that offer before it's to late. The Bucs are all in for Revis, and the Jets are playing games.
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:

Revis is God-like at the CB position

Richard Sherman is a pretty good CB Confused though I REALLY don't want to ignite another Sherman vs. Revis debate.

Jets really need to take a 1st, 3rd and a 6th for Revis. Not only is a $15m p/y contract from a CB really bad business, no matter how good that CB might be, and a 28 year old CB is not going to help a Jets team that is in serious need of a rebuild - that $15m in cap space as well as all those picks could really propel the Jets rebuilding strategy and get them back to where they want to be much more quickly.

no doubt Sherman is a very good corner but he [inappropriate/removed] the bed vs Atlanta, replace him with a healthy Revis and Seattle is likely going to the Super Bowl

However yes we need to just do something and do it now

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take Revis over 2/3 solid guys.

When playing against Julio Jones, Steve Smith, Jimmy Graham having a guy in Revis to pretty much take them out of a game would transform our entire defense.

Word is Barber will be back to play the slot, Wright might stay to fight for the #2 spot against Leonard Johnson/draft pick.

Revis - Barber - Wright/Johsnon/Rookie
Barron - Goldson

That would be one of the best secondaries in the league.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBando wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
BBando wrote:
Right because every player wants to go to a team that will pay him a lot of money regardless of how close they are to a ring. At the end of the day, there would be a lot better teams with cap room who would offer similar money. Either way, it seems irrelevant as a trade will seemingly go down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 14 of 35

Jump to: