Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Competition Committee proposing 6 rule changes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third Rider wrote:
I don't know, I kind of like the old tuck rule....

YOU SHUT YOUR FACE!

Laughing Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Most of them seem legit. Not sure about the snapper being defenseless player

Agreed. I had to Rolling Eyes at that one.

Love the tuck rule one.

Also, INB4 "Goodell is ruining the NFL" argument starts.

Why do you role your eyes at that one? The guy is in a worse position than a center and has to have his head between his legs. By the time he snaps the ball and gets his head up he is being run over by a guy who gets a nice head start.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Most of them seem legit. Not sure about the snapper being defenseless player

Agreed. I had to Rolling Eyes at that one.

Ever been a long snapper? After getting the ball back to a holder, there's no way to get your head up before getting hit. The DL is going the instant the ball moves, and you still have to get the ball back, and then get your hands up.

It's a good move for player safety.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have to say I agree with the Long Snapper one. Would imagine it's hard to defend yourself in that situation.

Still hating these rules with helmet hits. Many of them are not possible to avoid. I can't understand why there are so many rule changes with helmets, yet we're seeing no change to the helmets these players wear. It's mind-boggling.
justo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
Still hating these rules with helmet hits. Many of them are not possible to avoid. I can't understand why there are so many rule changes with helmets, yet we're seeing no change to the helmets these players wear. It's mind-boggling.
We can avoid more if we change the mentality of the players. Do that through penalties, fines, and suspensions.
What do we change the helmets to?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
We can avoid more if we change the mentality of the players. Do that through penalties, fines, and suspensions.

More padding? Especially around the temple area. From what I've seen; it's pretty thin there.

And no, you can't just change. There are moments in time where sometimes you just can't avoid accidents that can occur helmet-to-helmet. However, designing a safer helmet can do that.

Professional hockey leagues have done this; why can't the NFL?
Typical_Lions

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
justo wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

More padding? Especially around the temple area. From what I've seen; it's pretty thin there.

And no, you can't just change. There are moments in time where sometimes you just can't avoid accidents that can occur helmet-to-helmet. However, designing a safer helmet can do that.

Isn't there already a safer helmet available to use but most players do not use it for whatever reason?
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition Committee propsing 6 rule changes Reply with quote

Quote:
First proposal: The red-flag rule would be revised. No-brainer.
Obvious change needed

Quote:
Instant replay proposal: Ruling of incomplete pass would be reviewable through a fumble.
I guess this would be good.

Quote:
Safety proposal from Competition Committee: Changes to PAT and field goal to reduce injuries in line. Snapper becomes defenseless player.
Sure, why not. I mean, I haven't seen any LS get injured because of this, but I guess it could happen.

Quote:
New tuck rule would result in a fumble if the quarterback is in the process of moving the ball back to his body after pump.
Should be passed, and would be a good change.

Quote:
Competition Committee proposes allowing tight ends to wear numbers 40-49.
Whatever, some already do it.

Quote:
Competition Committee proposes complete ban on peel back blocks, even inside tackle box.
Eh, whatever.

Quote:
Competition Committee proposes preventing players to use helmet outside of tackle box. No forcible blow with top of helmet.
Hate it. Gets rid of any kind of power running, and makes the defenses job even more humanly impossible. I know it's for safety, but this would really change the game IMO (for the worse).

CWood21 wrote:
This anti-Teddy crap is getting out of hand.

R.I.P. Stylish
-Hope-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
justo wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

Simply adding more padding won't do much, if anything, to prevent concussions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no helmet safe enough to prevent concussions. You're getting hit in the head by some of the fastest and most physical human beings on earth, there are going to be concussions. Changing how people are allowed to tackle will reduce concussions far more than better helmets. Shame that there's an entire generation of football fans from High School to the NFL who never learned how to tackle outside of stick hit.
LuckIsGOAT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the LS is "defenseless" then he should be ineligible to block also
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan
lionslicer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Abe56 wrote:
Dallas Clark has been #44 his whole career Question

I don't know when those rules changed, I have no idea. Is it possible he was grandfathered in?

Or is it possible that his paperwork with the NFL has him listed as a FB?

Also, if 80-89 are all taken, TEs can go down to 40-49

He can't be grandfathered in because tightends weren't allowed to wear 40-49 until the rule about 80-89 being taken.

I believe if a tight end originally gets 40-49 number on a team that 80-89 was taken, he is permitted to keep that number because that's how fans know him.
HDsportsfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:

Laughing Yeah that will work well. It's a good rule change. I was a long snapper. Easily get your head rocked back. As mentioned previously, cant remember the last time i recall a LS getting injured, but still a decent rule change.

Last edited by HDsportsfan on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDsportsfan wrote:
LuckIsGOAT wrote:

Laughing Yeah that will work well. It's a good rule change. I was a long snapper. Easily get your head rocled back. As mentioned previously, cant remember the last time i recall a LS getting injured, but still a decent rule change.

Redskins LS broke his forearm last year. Raiders got hurt. It was marvelous. Laughing

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
simonwayne wrote:
theJ wrote:
Typical_Lions wrote:
simonwayne wrote:
No peel back blocks? What are you supposed to do then, when the situation calls for it?

Just have to block up above the waist

When i read it, i was thinking it referred to any block that occurred the behind the play. Like when a WR is comes from the middle of the field to block some poor LB who's 15 yards behind the play and completely lays him out (ala the Hines Ward on Keith Rivers block).

Yeah, that's what I first thought as well. If It's just above the waist then that's reasonable. They are asking a lot from these players though, to have to do every play at full game speed.
A hit like this cost Lance Louis millions of dollars.

There are tons more examples too. Most of the time on plays like that, the player being blocked is well behind the play, and the hitter just wants to hit someone. I'm all for hard hits in football, but only when they're relevant to the play. So i'm for this rule.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: