Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jennings is a Viking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JBURGE25


Joined: 25 Jan 2012
Posts: 13450
Location: Canadia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
Atari-XXX wrote:
How many SB rings have all those FA signings and trades gotten the Vikings over the last 5-10 years? Jared Allen, Favre, Berrian, Sharper.

But hey, take a good look at Jennings' SB ring. It's the closest at seeing a SB ring that most Vikings players will ever get to. Laughing

troll comment.


And people wonder why fanbases get lumped together on this site.


Atari you're making us look bad in this thread Confused
_________________

Revel8 wrote:
I believe I may have already found it. Not only the way to cure ebola, but every virus period.

PSN: ShiiNyIV
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishtanked


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 807
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this list on another site and thought it might shed a little light on the "Jennings is too old and descending" arguments being made.

"For comparison's sake in case people were wondering how Jennings age will come into play. These are of course not exact barometers, but just to get an idea by comparing others to Jennings age of 30 for the 2013 season ...

Roddy White, Santonio Holmes, and Larry Fitzgerald are the same age as Greg Jennings, and i don't think anyone would call them over the hill.

Randy Moss turned 30 in 2007 in his first year with the Patriots. He had 3 more 1000 yd seasons.
Terrell Owens turned 30 in 2003 when he first left the Niners. He had 4 more 1000 yd seasons.
Wes Welker turned 30 in 2011 and has had 2 more 1000 yd seasons and counting.
Andre Johnson turned 30 in 2011 and has had 1 more 1000 yd season and counting.
Reggie Wayne turned 30 in 2008, and has had 4 more 1000 yd seasons and counting
Steve Smith turned 30 in 2009 and has had 2 1000 yds seasons and counting
Jerry Rice turned 30 in 1992, and had 8 more years of 1000 yds or more.
Cris Carter turned 30 in 1995, and had 6 more 1000 yd seasons.
Tim Brown turned 30 in 1996, and had 6 more 1000 yd seasons.
Rod Smith turned 30 in 2000, and had 5 more 1000 yd seasons.
Donald Driver turned 30 in 2005, and had 5 more 1000 yd seasons.
Isaac Bruce turned 30 in 2002, and had 3 more 1000 yd seasons."

There seems to be ample evidence to support the fact that Vikings can and should expect Greg to perform up to his contract. Especially with the amount of single coverage he will receive with MVPeterson in the backfield.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TrueViking28


Joined: 17 Mar 2008
Posts: 1763
Location: Winona, Purple Prowess on da Sig
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishtanked wrote:
I saw this list on another site and thought it might shed a little light on the "Jennings is too old and descending" arguments being made.

"For comparison's sake in case people were wondering how Jennings age will come into play. These are of course not exact barometers, but just to get an idea by comparing others to Jennings age of 30 for the 2013 season ...

Roddy White, Santonio Holmes, and Larry Fitzgerald are the same age as Greg Jennings, and i don't think anyone would call them over the hill.

Randy Moss turned 30 in 2007 in his first year with the Patriots. He had 3 more 1000 yd seasons.
Terrell Owens turned 30 in 2003 when he first left the Niners. He had 4 more 1000 yd seasons.
Wes Welker turned 30 in 2011 and has had 2 more 1000 yd seasons and counting.
Andre Johnson turned 30 in 2011 and has had 1 more 1000 yd season and counting.
Reggie Wayne turned 30 in 2008, and has had 4 more 1000 yd seasons and counting
Steve Smith turned 30 in 2009 and has had 2 1000 yds seasons and counting
Jerry Rice turned 30 in 1992, and had 8 more years of 1000 yds or more.
Cris Carter turned 30 in 1995, and had 6 more 1000 yd seasons.
Tim Brown turned 30 in 1996, and had 6 more 1000 yd seasons.
Rod Smith turned 30 in 2000, and had 5 more 1000 yd seasons.
Donald Driver turned 30 in 2005, and had 5 more 1000 yd seasons.
Isaac Bruce turned 30 in 2002, and had 3 more 1000 yd seasons."

There seems to be ample evidence to support the fact that Vikings can and should expect Greg to perform up to his contract. Especially with the amount of single coverage he will receive with MVPeterson in the backfield.


Good post! Hopefully Greg stays healthy because he definitely has plenty left in the tank
_________________

vike daddy wrote:
boondock wrote:
Usually small dogs will wet themselves when they get excited.

happens to me when the nurse comes in with fresh oatmeal. yum!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blink


Joined: 05 Aug 2011
Posts: 721
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be an interesting signing. Jennings was our most talented WR for some time, but due to injuries has taken a back seat the last two years.

Hard to tell what he's got left as he hasn't been on the field consistently for awhile, not to mention he's had HOF QBs his entire career and now has to catch from Ponder.

I would be surprised if he goes over 1k 6 TDs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SupeRG00F


Joined: 12 Aug 2012
Posts: 1391
Location: Vancouver, Wa
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishtanked wrote:
I saw this list on another site and thought it might shed a little light on the "Jennings is too old and descending" arguments being made.

"For comparison's sake in case people were wondering how Jennings age will come into play. These are of course not exact barometers, but just to get an idea by comparing others to Jennings age of 30 for the 2013 season ...

Roddy White, Santonio Holmes, and Larry Fitzgerald are the same age as Greg Jennings, and i don't think anyone would call them over the hill.

Randy Moss turned 30 in 2007 in his first year with the Patriots. He had 3 more 1000 yd seasons.
Terrell Owens turned 30 in 2003 when he first left the Niners. He had 4 more 1000 yd seasons.
Wes Welker turned 30 in 2011 and has had 2 more 1000 yd seasons and counting.
Andre Johnson turned 30 in 2011 and has had 1 more 1000 yd season and counting.
Reggie Wayne turned 30 in 2008, and has had 4 more 1000 yd seasons and counting
Steve Smith turned 30 in 2009 and has had 2 1000 yds seasons and counting
Jerry Rice turned 30 in 1992, and had 8 more years of 1000 yds or more.
Cris Carter turned 30 in 1995, and had 6 more 1000 yd seasons.
Tim Brown turned 30 in 1996, and had 6 more 1000 yd seasons.
Rod Smith turned 30 in 2000, and had 5 more 1000 yd seasons.
Donald Driver turned 30 in 2005, and had 5 more 1000 yd seasons.
Isaac Bruce turned 30 in 2002, and had 3 more 1000 yd seasons."

There seems to be ample evidence to support the fact that Vikings can and should expect Greg to perform up to his contract. Especially with the amount of single coverage he will receive with MVPeterson in the backfield.
But none of them had Ponder trying to throw them the ball. Wink

I hope it works out for him though and plays at a high level. One of my favorite non Seahawks.
_________________


Xbox Gamertag: SupeR G00F
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
49ers Finest


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 9325
Location: San Jose
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Literally, as I got off the plane and (offensive coordinator Bill) Musgrave walked up to me, I'm on the phone with Brett," Jennings said on KFAN-AM, via Min.Scout.com. "I spoke with Brett two or three times throughout this process. He shot me straight. I knew if there was one person that would shoot straight and tell me exactly what I wanted to hear and things I possibly didn't want to hear, it would be Brett. He did that for me."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151625/article/greg-jennings-brett-favre-helped-with-vikings-deal

favre you da best Laughing
_________________
***WE RUN THE WEST!***
SB AT HOME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

new sig... sorry alex
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett Favre should be in the Vikings Ring of Honor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 20876
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
Atari-XXX wrote:
How many SB rings have all those FA signings and trades gotten the Vikings over the last 5-10 years? Jared Allen, Favre, Berrian, Sharper.

But hey, take a good look at Jennings' SB ring. It's the closest at seeing a SB ring that most Vikings players will ever get to. Laughing

troll comment.


And people wonder why fanbases get lumped together on this site.
Your point is? Fans still shouldn't ever be lumped together just because they rout for the same team. Read throughout the thread and you'll see I've praised the Vikings get of Jennings and have gone as far as to call out some of my fellow Pack fans because I didn't get the hate towards Jennings.

But I should be lumped in with the Packer fans who don't like it and are trying to troll just because I rout for the same team? I don't think so. And it's annoying to boot.


I'm not saying that you should be lumped together. I'm saying that a lot of people on this site DO lump fanbases together. I'm just saying that reading through this thread, I can see why that happens.

I know not all of you are making these comments, but these things seem to happen a lot.
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stoop Trash


Joined: 06 Feb 2013
Posts: 845
Location: Milwaukee
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishtanked wrote:
I saw this list on another site and thought it might shed a little light on the "Jennings is too old and descending" arguments being made.

"For comparison's sake in case people were wondering how Jennings age will come into play. These are of course not exact barometers, but just to get an idea by comparing others to Jennings age of 30 for the 2013 season ...

Roddy White, Santonio Holmes, and Larry Fitzgerald are the same age as Greg Jennings, and i don't think anyone would call them over the hill.

Randy Moss turned 30 in 2007 in his first year with the Patriots. He had 3 more 1000 yd seasons.
Terrell Owens turned 30 in 2003 when he first left the Niners. He had 4 more 1000 yd seasons.
Wes Welker turned 30 in 2011 and has had 2 more 1000 yd seasons and counting.
Andre Johnson turned 30 in 2011 and has had 1 more 1000 yd season and counting.
Reggie Wayne turned 30 in 2008, and has had 4 more 1000 yd seasons and counting
Steve Smith turned 30 in 2009 and has had 2 1000 yds seasons and counting
Jerry Rice turned 30 in 1992, and had 8 more years of 1000 yds or more.
Cris Carter turned 30 in 1995, and had 6 more 1000 yd seasons.
Tim Brown turned 30 in 1996, and had 6 more 1000 yd seasons.
Rod Smith turned 30 in 2000, and had 5 more 1000 yd seasons.
Donald Driver turned 30 in 2005, and had 5 more 1000 yd seasons.
Isaac Bruce turned 30 in 2002, and had 3 more 1000 yd seasons."

There seems to be ample evidence to support the fact that Vikings can and should expect Greg to perform up to his contract. Especially with the amount of single coverage he will receive with MVPeterson in the backfield.


This is a good illustration as while I dont think they are the same types of receivers, Jennings matches up well with some of the names on this list like Wayne, Driver and Bruce. While all of them are obviously great athletes, their game isnt based on pure athleticism. The reason they had so much success is because of their work ethic and understanding of the WR position paired with their natural skills. Greg isnt a guy like Mike Wallace, who once crossing 30 might lose his speed and become much less valuable. Greg is a smooth and savy route runner and that will play even when he starts to lose some of his physical skills.

This was a bittersweet one as a Packers fan. Wanted him on the team, but also understand that he was a luxury the Packers couldnt afford going forward. While I dont think he'll produce quite what he is getting paid, he will still be a high-end receiver for the life of this contract.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishtanked


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 807
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoop Trash wrote:
fishtanked wrote:
I saw this list on another site and thought it might shed a little light on the "Jennings is too old and descending" arguments being made.

"For comparison's sake in case people were wondering how Jennings age will come into play. These are of course not exact barometers, but just to get an idea by comparing others to Jennings age of 30 for the 2013 season ...

Roddy White, Santonio Holmes, and Larry Fitzgerald are the same age as Greg Jennings, and i don't think anyone would call them over the hill.

Randy Moss turned 30 in 2007 in his first year with the Patriots. He had 3 more 1000 yd seasons.
Terrell Owens turned 30 in 2003 when he first left the Niners. He had 4 more 1000 yd seasons.
Wes Welker turned 30 in 2011 and has had 2 more 1000 yd seasons and counting.
Andre Johnson turned 30 in 2011 and has had 1 more 1000 yd season and counting.
Reggie Wayne turned 30 in 2008, and has had 4 more 1000 yd seasons and counting
Steve Smith turned 30 in 2009 and has had 2 1000 yds seasons and counting
Jerry Rice turned 30 in 1992, and had 8 more years of 1000 yds or more.
Cris Carter turned 30 in 1995, and had 6 more 1000 yd seasons.
Tim Brown turned 30 in 1996, and had 6 more 1000 yd seasons.
Rod Smith turned 30 in 2000, and had 5 more 1000 yd seasons.
Donald Driver turned 30 in 2005, and had 5 more 1000 yd seasons.
Isaac Bruce turned 30 in 2002, and had 3 more 1000 yd seasons."

There seems to be ample evidence to support the fact that Vikings can and should expect Greg to perform up to his contract. Especially with the amount of single coverage he will receive with MVPeterson in the backfield.


This is a good illustration as while I dont think they are the same types of receivers, Jennings matches up well with some of the names on this list like Wayne, Driver and Bruce. While all of them are obviously great athletes, their game isnt based on pure athleticism. The reason they had so much success is because of their work ethic and understanding of the WR position paired with their natural skills. Greg isnt a guy like Mike Wallace, who once crossing 30 might lose his speed and become much less valuable. Greg is a smooth and savy route runner and that will play even when he starts to lose some of his physical skills.

This was a bittersweet one as a Packers fan. Wanted him on the team, but also understand that he was a luxury the Packers couldnt afford going forward. While I dont think he'll produce quite what he is getting paid, he will still be a high-end receiver for the life of this contract.


I agree with most of this. The thing most here are failing to recognize is the impact Greg will have on our young receivers as a true pro and what the move does for the run game. If he can catch 70 for 900 with 6-7 touchdowns while keeping the D honest allowing AD to be AD+ he will be well worth the price. The mentoring he can offer Simpson, Wright, Childs, Rookie(Allen, Hopkins, etc.) is also impossible to quantify. If Greg stays healthy I would be shocked if he doesn't post 80 for 1000 with 8-9 TD's. Look at Percy's numbers for half a season. IMO the only real concern from the Vikings perspective is injury. Thats why the 2 year pay as you go for 5 type contract is perfect.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uncle Buck


Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 15113
Location: Viking Country
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Brett Favre should be in the Vikings Ring of Honor.


I would have no problem at all with that if it happened.
_________________


Aout wrote:
What is wrong with all these Packer fans insulting and raging all the time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3598
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Brett Favre should be in the Vikings Ring of Honor.


I would have no problem at all with that if it happened.


Great player, but 29 games in purple doesn't scream Vikings ring of honor to me.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SemperFeist


Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 749
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Uncle Buck wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Brett Favre should be in the Vikings Ring of Honor.


I would have no problem at all with that if it happened.


Great player, but 29 games in purple doesn't scream Vikings ring of honor to me.

If Favre had won the Super Bowl with the team in '09, I would have no problem putting him the ring of honor, but since that didn't happen, I would have to pass on that idea.
_________________
"Building a great team isn't about having the best players, it's about having the right players."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group