Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Giants sign former Raiders TE Brandon Myers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vulcan_Prime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
Why not just resign Bennett?

Because the giants found 20,000 reasons not to resign Bennet. Myers was most likely given a very friendly deal for the Giants, more-so the fact that the Raiders didn't even bother giving him an offer.

Eli did great things with Boss, Ballard, Bear and even Bennet who all didn't do much before they were with the Giants. Can Eli continue his streak with Tight ends who have a name that starts with the letter B? Remains to be seen, but I have faith in Eli and Mike Pope, our great TE coach. Cool
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulcan_Prime wrote:
w4rrior723 wrote:
Why not just resign Bennett?

Because the giants found 20,000 reasons not to resign Bennet. Myers was most likely given a very friendly deal for the Giants, more-so the fact that the Raiders didn't even bother giving him an offer.

Eli did great things with Boss, Ballard, Bear and even Bennet who all didn't do much before they were with the Giants. Can Eli continue his streak with Tight ends who have a name that starts with the letter B? Remains to be seen, but I have faith in Eli and Mike Pope, our great TE coach. Cool

TE's don't have a big part in the Giants passing game, so they usually look for guys that block well. Bennett is one of the best blocking TE's in the game plus he has a lot of talent as a receiver. Curious to see how much this deal is worth.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:

TE's don't have a big part in the Giants passing game, so they usually look for guys that block well. Bennett is one of the best blocking TE's in the game plus he has a lot of talent as a receiver. Curious to see how much this deal is worth.

From what I read Bennet really sucked on option routes and consistently made bad reads so Eli lost trust in him. I'm guessing the Giants thought it would be smart to bring in a pure receiving TE as a safety outlet for Eli.

"A lion roars in the darkness only he holds the key, a light to free me from my burden and grant me life eternally"
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a Giants signing.
titwio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still hope they give Adrien Robinson the chance to step up for that #1 job. The Giants sure are signing a lot of guys for a team that was supposed to not have a lot of money to spend. Wonder where they're going to get money to offer Cruz his long term deal (during the year), extend Nicks, sign their rookies etc...
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very solid signing.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good signing. The Giants always find success with average TE's and will use him smartly. He's a good receiver and is always finding ways to get open, also surprisingly more nimble and athletic then he looks. Should be a decent player for NY, Just take him out on run plays or don't run to his side and you should be fine, although I think your TE coach will improve that area of his game.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Brady Tribute
dante9876

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait they traded for Carson Palmer to. Lol. Crazy how him and Myers look so A like.
Gmen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macklemore wrote:
not a very good player, his stats are inflated from playing on a bad team that threw the ball 50 times a game. hopefully the giants overpayed, would love a comp pick.

Somebody reported it's only a 1 year deal, and considering the Giants are up against the cap, I doubt he got more than 3 million. He probably saw what one season with the Giants did for Bennett's career, and decided to take a gamble on himself.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Boo_This_Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
Wait they traded for Carson Palmer to. Lol. Crazy how him and Myers look so A like.

Shocked . Yeah, that is really weird.

Devin Brown-FS-#10

Props to JTagg7754 on the sig!

Raiders/Warriors/A's
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
macklemore wrote:
not a very good player, his stats are inflated from playing on a bad team that threw the ball 50 times a game. hopefully the giants overpayed, would love a comp pick.

Somebody reported it's only a 1 year deal, and considering the Giants are up against the cap, I doubt he got more than 3 million. He probably saw what one season with the Giants did for Bennett's career, and decided to take a gamble on himself.

I hope he got 3M. Imo, Myers will never come anywhere close to the numbers he put up last year again.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Raiiiiidersssss wrote:
half of his stats came in garbage time. Hopefully they didn't overpay

All the time is garbage time with the Raiders. Laughing

Exactly. Raider fans pile in on Meyers for 'garbage time' stats. Freaking annoying. Not his fault the team sucks and plays from behind. Shouldn't take away from his ability to catch every ball thrown at him.

NY Giants are getting a TE with exceptional hands. He's also going to a team that will be able to open up space in the middle for him.

Myers is going to excel in NYC w/ Gilbride and Eli. He will be a consistent 3rd down pass catcher for them.

Giants are getting a good role playing TE and we know how much they like those. Great signing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Gmen wrote:
Raiiiiidersssss wrote:

Exactly. Raider fans pile in on Meyers for 'garbage time' stats. Freaking annoying. Not his fault the team sucks and plays from behind. Shouldn't take away from his ability to catch every ball thrown at him.

NY Giants are getting a TE with exceptional hands. He's also going to a team that will be able to open up space in the middle for him.

Myers is going to excel in NYC w/ Gilbride and Eli. He will be a consistent 3rd down pass catcher for them.

Giants are getting a good role playing TE and we know how much they like those. Great signing.

You overrate him and the garbage time does hold SOME merit. 'Exceptional' hands? Like the couple times he dropped TDs we desperately needed? Exceptional is a complete exaggeration. He's basically Zach Miller who can't block. Not that he can't contribute, but exceptional hands is nonsense. Everyone acts like he's some bonafide receiving TE when he was drafted as a blocker (which he's awful at) and STer (which he no longer does). What he gives you is a guy who can get open and usually make the catch. That's about it. Good signing for the Giants, but he isn't as good as some people make him out to be. Not as bad as others make him out to be either for that matter.

Professor Oak wrote:
Don't listen to the naysayers, S&B88.

SoS is in fact French. I've frenched his toast a couple of times. I think I would know.
titwio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Gmen wrote:
Raiiiiidersssss wrote:

You overrate him and the garbage time does hold SOME merit. 'Exceptional' hands? Like the couple times he dropped TDs we desperately needed? Exceptional is a complete exaggeration. He's basically Zach Miller who can't block. Not that he can't contribute, but exceptional hands is just not true.

I was grooving on what bp wrote and you just had to go and ruin that for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: